Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#392814 11/15/10 12:55 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Does anyone use a Solar hot water system? Planning on building one for our house (have some expensive electric water heaters at the moment).

Just wandering of there were some standard designs that worked well on the island. ie made use of local sourced materials etc

R
ron Offline
R
I sent one down from the states. It works well but isn't local. You can just mount a black water cistern on your roof pump water up and that will work. Feed the system via gravity. Many Belizeans use that so a local could easily make one for you. Mine has an 80 gallon storage tank uses a solar powered pump to continually circulate the water.

S
S
Hi!

I am curious, what company did you use to buy your solar hot water heater?

Thank you,
Sarita

N
N
Expensive "solar water heaters" are for people that live at 47 deg. latitude not 17degs. Plumb a small grid of CPVC pipe on your roof. Paint it with black roof tar or such. Voila! Scalding hot water.

We're currently sourcing one from a company in Chetumal.
Base price for a smallish one - $260 US for 80 litres, gravity feed. Quoted a bit higher price for ones with larger capacity that work with pressure-tank/pump systems.

Update on the Solar hot water system.
We'll be getting one in a week or so.
155 Litres, works with pressure tank rather than an elevated rotoplast.
Have been quoted about $1,000 US exclusive of installation.
Will let you know how it works for us (and how much we save on BEL bills).

We are having good luck working with Yves Aboud of Groupo Lumiere in Chetumal for these products.

Yves speaks and writes English and travels fairly often to San Pedro.
If you want an introduction or to have contact info, PM me.

G
G
Hi
short intro - my name is Tom and for a couple of years i was the GM at an island resort. electricity comes expensive on an island (generators) so we heated up water using Chromagen (an Israeli manufacturer) solar hot water systems to heat up water (even on lat 17 guest and staff alike appreciated a hot shower after a long day). the savings were immense, the guests loved it and it helped us get our green globe eco resort listing. anyway - being from Israel myself (where solar water heating is mandatory) i have had ample time to appreciate the numerous advantages of these systems. so.. we are importing them to Belize now. anyone interested in more info is welcome to contact me at www.swhbelize.com.
of course, cost is a big part of the equation for domestic installations. if you want available hot water, that is generated by solar energy, swh are the most efficient solution by far. they aren't as cheap as the alternative suicide shower heads or on demand heaters, but a good solar hot water system will give you 15years or more of solid performance, and no cost after initial installation. they run between 1k-1.5k US$ to buy and install, and come in sizes ranging from 40-80 gallon tank capacity.
love to answer questions, or help out anyone deliberating what he needs.
happy days and happy showers
Tom

Tom Sagee
GreenSun
Placencia, Belize
www.swhbelize.com
G
G
solar water heater is good choice because it is energy conservative but there are many other tankless "https://tanklessheaterreviews.com/ water heaters which consumes less electricity and easily affordable.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 312 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.