Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Baby Hawksbill Turtle rescued on North Ambergris Belize

On the 7th of May, during a routine pick up of divers from a local resort, Gaz Cooper's Dive Captain Marcos Estrada noticed what seemed to be a black glob of tar floating in the shallows, and it seemed to be moving.

Upon closer examination Marcos noticed that it was a 2 to 3 year old baby Hawksbill Turtle that had been totally covered in black sticky tar and was obviously causing the baby severe trauma and stress since it could not swim or eat due to its predicament.

With the help of the divers aboard, they rescued the Turtle and brought it back to the Dive Center where it could be treated and cleaned up.

He was thoroughly cleaned by Gaz Cooper, owner and operator of Gaz Cooper's Dive Belize, and prepared for release back into the sea as quickly as possible.

Within a couple of hours "Tommy the Turtle" (as he was quickly named), was clean and back to his normal self, flapping like crazy as if to say..."OK dudes enough already!".

Without further delay, Gaz took Tommy to the end of the dock and released him back into the sea, and with a flip and a flap Tommy was off into adventures unknown.

As divers its our duty to try to help clean up our beaches and minimize the effects of man made pollutants such as, in this case TAR, and in turn helping other creatures avoid life threatening situations such a Tommy the Turtles.

Next time you see a sign for a Beach clean up campaign remember Tommy the Turtle's story and head on out there and give a hand. It takes all of us to make a difference, and WE CAN.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Marty (edited 05-08-2002).]

BLESS YOU GAZ!
And maybe the next time you see someone using our ocean as a garbage can you will feel strong enough to say something. Every little bit helps.
The Monterey Bay, here in Northern California, has an annual beach clean up day. I am coming back from A/C to participate.
People who are not divers are always needed to help topside at these events.
Harriette

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Kudos to you Gaz!!! You're a real hero in my book. I LOVE the turtles... They are incubating eggs here and trying to get the numbers of turtles back up. Every turtle is precious.... I thank you. And the Nature Conservancy thanks you, the turtles thank you mankind thanks you.... Not to mention the BIG MAN upstairs. [Linked Image] HUGS!!!
Debbie

hey gaz, send me those pics and i'll make em show up....

yes, thank you, both for your deed and your message.

Anyone know anything about the turtle project out of Gales Point? I know they work with the hawksbills but wondered if anyone had a contact. Will be there late May.

M
M
Thanks for helping little Tommy and being activily involved in making our planet a better place. Gaz, you are great!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 312 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.