FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and other specials

The San Pedro Sun

Wolfe's Woofers: Flower
When my phone rang I saw that the call was from Melody. "Yes, darling daughter," I answered. "What do you need from me today?" "Why would you ask something like that?" she asked. "Can't I just call you for no reason?" "You could but you rarely do. What's up?" "I was wondering if you could watch the kids for a little while this afternoon. The nanny is out of town and I have to deliver two flower arrangements. I need someone to keep an eye on them for an hour." "I would love to but with the two boys and an infant like Milaine, I'd screw up somehow."

Taiwanese President on a State visit to Belize
The diplomatic relations between Belize and Taiwan became stronger on Thursday, August 16th with the official visit of Taiwanese President Tsai In-Wen. President Wen touched down at the Philip S.W Goldson International Airport shortly after 2:30PM, where she was welcomed to the country by Belize's Governor General, Sir Colville Young, along with a set of ceremonial activities headed by the Belize Defence Force. President Wen is visiting the country at the invitation of Prime Minister Right Honourable Dean Barrow. There are some activities scheduled during her visit to Belize, including a special joint sitting of the House of Representatives in the Capital City of Belmopan on Friday, August 17th. According to the Chief Executive Officer in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Patrick Andrews, Belize has been and continues to be an important ally to Taiwan, and such a state visit is intended to deepen the relationship shared by both countries.

Doctor Love: Angry for a Friend
Dear Doctor Love, Sometimes I have to stay in a hotel on the mainland for my work, and last weekend I saw my good friend's husband leave a hotel room with a pretty young girl. It was obvious they had spent the night together because they kissed very passionately, and she said she loved him and would see him next month. I am so angry with him to do this to my friend. But I really hate to tell her because I don't want to be the one to hurt her. Would it be better for her to know or will it have a terrible impact on both our friendship and her life? I don't know what to do. /s/Anon

Misc Belizean Sources

mzz

Caye Caulker Futbol
Some photos from 2 of Sunday's games

Saldivar Family writes Leader of the Opposition
Dear Honorable John Briceno, This is an open letter to outline our concerns with your leadership or lack thereof and remind you of the people you serve as a member and executive of the People's United Party. Your recent interview aired on the Belize news media on Friday, August 17, 2018 in condemnation of Arthur Saldivar, did not demonstrate the character of an individual with the skills to lead a nation much less the moral fortitude of which you spoke of. It is not acceptable in any forum for a 'party leader' whether PUP or UDP to engage in such degradation of any citizen. Temperance and decorum are essential leadership qualities which you failed to exhibit during this interaction.

Taiwan's President, Tsai Ing-Wen has completed day two of her visit to Belize
After her arrival on On Thursday August 16th, she received the Order of Belize from Governor General of Belize, Sir Colville Young while on a tour of the Museum of Belize. At 10 a.m. on August 17th, amidst a downpour in the capital, Belmopan, President Tsai Ing-Wen spoke at an unusual joint session of Senate and parliament. Prime Minister Dean Barrow welcomed her after a bit of official pageantry that echoed the colonial past. President Tsai said "It was great to be in the City of Belmopan." After those opening words she let the gallery know that she had an excellent meeting with Prime Minister Dean Barrow prior to the opening of the parliamentary session. She spoke of feeling moved when she visited the embassy of Taiwan on a street that had been renamed Taiwan Street in January, 2018.

San Joaquin Fiesta
Photographs from the fiesta

Cayo Back to School Extravaganza
The SISE Town Council had their Back to School Extravaganza at the Cayo Welcome Center, where they gave out school supplies, and had a fun day for the kids. Thanks, SISE Town Council, and everyone else that made this event happen. "Reigning Queen of the West Miss Alyssa Grant being a part of SISE Back to school extravaganza 2018. CAYO Welcome Center, San Ignacio & Santa Elena Town Council, Child Advisory Board and the twin town's business community came together as one to provide school supplies and school bags to children in our community."

Guava Limb 5 Year Anniversary
Happy 5th anniversary, Guava Limb! The winner of the BTB's Best Restaurant is celebrating 5 years of excellent food and service. They'll have live music, drink special, and free appetizers this Saturday, August 25th. You can make a reservation via their website. "The Guava Limb Restaurant & Caf� extends to you a cordial invitation to join us in celebrating FIVE (5) YEARS in service to our patrons!! **FREE Appetizers - Tamalito served w/ Pico De Gallo & Anti-pasto Platter **Enjoy LIVE Mariachie Entertainment from 6pm - 9pm **Specials & Discounts all day long **2 FOR 1 COCKTAILS - GREEN BERRY COOLERS & SLIM & TRIM RUM COCKTAILS

Seedlings in the Vaca Forest Reserve
In the Vaca Forest Reserve over 3,500 seedlings are being cared for by local farmers as part of a GEF SGP and US Fish and Wildlife Service supported program aimed at restoring degraded land.

The Reporter

ORANGE WALK GANG FIGURE, JUNIOR TRIMINIO SHOT & KILLED
The Reporter has confirmed that notorious Orange Walk gang figure Junior Triminio was shot and killed in the Louisiana area just minutes ago. We'll have more details on this latest murder as soon as they become available.

Belizean Dishes & Pastry
Belizean Panades, Belizean Escabeche. his section (Food & Cooking) contains Audio/Video and commentary from cooking masters, chefs and people that are simply great in the kitchen. We are always looking and scouting for new fresh talent and commentary . So please 'put in yo two cents !' we want to hear from and see your great ideas. After all, ! everybody loves good food and local delights. muahh !!

ROTARY CLUB HOSTS FINAL CLINIC
Today, the Rotary Club of Belize is hosting the last of three Pediatric Cardiology Clinics through its Gift of Life Programme. The final clinics is being held at the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital, serving child heart patients from Belize City and those that might have missed the first two sessions. The clinics started in Dangriga on Friday serving child heart patients in both the Stand Creek and Toledo Districts, then moved on to the KHMH to serve patients from the other districts.

CHINESE BUSINESSMAN SHOT IN LADYVILLE
A Chinese businessman is undergoing treatment at Belize Health Care Partners Limited after being shot twice while at his shop in Ladyville. Police say that Xiang Quan Chen, 38, shop owner of #10 Marage Road, was inside his store, Gung Ying shop on Friday night when two men, one of them armed with a gun, approached the burglar barred window. The gunman pushed his hand through the bars and opened fire on Chen hitting him in the neck and under his chin.

TAIWANESE PRESIDENT CONCLUDES VISIT TO BELIZE
Today H.E. Tsai Ing-wen, President of the Republic of China (Taiwan) completed her three-day state visit to Belize at the invitation of Prime Minister Dean Barrow. She arrived on her first visit to Belize on Thursday, August 16, greeted by the Governor General H.E. Colville Young. During their meeting, the Governor General conferred the Order of Belize on President Tsai, in recognition of the years of friendly diplomatic relations between both countries.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Traffic accident claims 2 lives in Orange Walk
Orange Walk police are investigating a road traffic accident that claimed the lives of two people today. The accident occurred on the San Juan Road around 12 p.m. today. A motorcycle and a white ford ranger pickup collided resulting in the death of the two persons. [�]

Notorious gang figure killed in Orange Walk
Orange Walk police are investigating the shooting death of a notorious gang figure that occurred this evening. According to reports, Junior Triminio was attending a football tournament in Louisiana area, Orange Walk and as he was exiting the event, several shots were fired at him. [�]

Fair weather to continue
The 24-hour forecast is for mostly fair weather to continue. Sunny skies with some cloudy spells and a few showers are expected today. The wind will blow from the east at 5-15 knots. The sea state will be light chop to choppy. [�]

Businessman robbed and shot in Belize City
Police are investigating an armed robbery that occurred on Friday night. According to reports, around 8:40 on Friday night, Chinese businessman, Xiang Quan Chen,38, was at his shop in Ladyville, Belize when two masked men entered his establishment. [�]

International Sourcesizz

The Wandia: Returning an artfully crafted schooner to its former glory
It's a boat unlike any other. The Wandia is a 102-foot, two-masted schooner that has seen better days. Now, the boat's owner, Captain Farley Cox, is working to bring her back to her former glory. The Wandia's story begins in Belize in 1970. That's where Hans-Peter Newe began the arduous process of building such a massive schooner. "The lumber price was fixed so the sawmills didn't like to cut big logs, long logs," Newe said. "So I had to go to Honduras and get pine planking so I could get 18-footers." Twelve-years later, the Wandia found its way to sea. Newe and his family made the Wandia their home until they sold it in 1993. "We sailed it for 12-years also, we lived on board," said Newe. In 2001, Captain Cox and his wife Joanne found the boat in Massachusetts, and knew it was perfect for their plan.

Nature's perfect match is breaking down and the reef is in peril
Peel back the veneer and nature is a teeming war zone of many flashpoints. Species compete with their own kind and others for limited resources. In a dog-eat-dog world built upon Darwinian principles and food chain hierarchies, only the fittest survive - and the winners take all. But oases of harmony do exist, where evolution has played matchmaker and engineered pockets of peaceful coexistence. Take, for instance, a relationship formed more than 210 million years ago around the time dinosaurs first appeared on earth. Until recently, this remarkable and visually brilliant partnership was still going gangbusters.

Videos

• Belizean Panades, 9min. When that Belizean food craving hits...panades is just the thing to make. Here's a delicious and easy recipe for homemade panades. Some people might think, that's a lot of work, or 'I can wip up suh panades quick' Jus chop up suh onions, geh soh masa, suh beans or fish, ah in no time, A go mek' panades. That true too, but Shirani shows us the Reeelll !!!, first class panades. I actually want some now.

• Belizean Escabeche, 5min. Escabeche is a soup eaten on Sundays and other special occasions in Belize. It's hot and spicy and typically eaten with corn tortillas.

• ENERGY IMPACT - 2018 FIRST Global Challenge, 4min. Team Belize is at the Global Robotics Olympics in Mexico City. Caye Caulker Ocean and Belize High School built and programmed their robot and are competing well against 161 countries. Here is an explanation and demo of the game:

• Travel diary: Belize 2018, 10min.

• Belize Adventures, Ambergris Caye 2016, 4min. Exploring Belize! Amazing things to do! Ambergris Caye and Costa Blu Resort! Meet "Sassy" the only sea turtle that eats more than veggies!

• Belize Vacation Farm Trip, 7min.

• Belize Palapa Bar and Grill Drone Video, 1min.

• Bird Island | Blue Hole National Park | Caracol Temple in Belize__ PlasFun, 3.5min.

• AJI Tapa Lounge & Restaurant on Ambergris Caye, Belize, 4.5min. In today's video, I'm going to take you along with me to Aji Tapa Lounge & Restaurant on Ambergris Caye. This Beach front restaurant is not short on atmosphere and the food is amazing.

• Spearfishing a Big Grouper in Belize, 1min. Spearfishing out in Turneffe islands. Deep water = Big Fish All freediving while spearfishing. Tanks are illegal to use while spearfishing in Belize!

• DIVE BELIZE 2017, 5min. Day 1 scuba diving and snorkeling in belize. dove to about 35 feet at times

• Lobster Season in Belize, 1min. Spearfishing Lobster for the opening of Lobster season in Belize!

• BDF FC vs Verdes FC, 45min.

• BDF FC vs Verdes FC, 1hr40min.