FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and other specials

The San Pedro Sun

Wolfe’s Woofer: Scary Sounds
We took a break from shooting pool and Mario called, “Hey, Juney! Come have a drink.” When Juney Cho sat down with us Mario asked, “Where you been, man? We ain’t seen you in months.” “I been hiding out,” Juney said. “Hiding out from what?” “I heard the scariest sound in the world. I was lucky to get away from it and I been hiding so I don’t hear it again.” “That’s crazy,” Mario said. “You don’t have to be scared from sounds.”

Development continues to threaten turtle nesting on Ambergris Caye
As the 2018 sea turtles nesting season continues, Hol Chan Marine Reserve (HCMR) personnel have been monitoring what seems to be a very active season. Despite this year’s activity, marine biologists at HCMR are concerned that new construction/development and improper garbage disposal have destroyed a few nests, and now threaten the future of the nesting grounds. The annual sea turtle nesting season normally runs from May through November, and most of the nesting usually takes place in Robles or Rocky Point Beach, several miles north of San Pedro Town. The main nesters are Loggerhead and Green turtles, with the Hawksbill making rare visits. HCMR Marine Biologist Kirah Forman told The San Pedro Sun that so far, they can confirm over 40 nests on Ambergris Caye. However, that number could have been higher if it was not for development.

Doctor Love: Red Flags
Dear Doctor Love, I have been living with my twenty-two-year-old boyfriend for three years, and things have been good until about six months ago when I started to notice small changes in him. He started staying late at work almost every night, or after his shift is over, he would go out for a drink with his friend. I mentioned to his friend that they were going out a lot and his friend looked confused and asked me what I meant. My boyfriend became easily irritable. He also stopped being romantic. We used to have sex almost every day, but now it is almost never. I kept telling myself I was too suspicious but now he is guarding his phone at home. He carries it wherever he goes, even to the shower. When he laid his phone on the table at breakfast, and I picked it up, he freaked out. He stormed out of the room, and when he came back, I asked him why he didn’t want me to see it. He handed it to me and said for me to go ahead and look.

Misc Belizean Sources

mzz

Environmental Education Training
FCD undertook a first part training for environmental educators that would prepare them to develop their public outreach action plan 2018-2019.

A new Miss Belize has been selected. Congratulations, Jen Fraser!

PANYAAD Belmopan Edition 2018
The Panyaad steel band music festival will be happening at the Isidoro Beaton Stadium on Saturday, September 15th. Panerrifix, Pantempers Steel Orchestra, Mile 41 Reggae Band, and Omolewa Jazz Band will all be performing. "Tell your neighbour and your friend. This is the "Year for love" Tickets go on sale on Monday 20 August. Ticket outlets: Winsgtop Belmopan, Peppers Pizza Belmopan and from band members. PANYAAD Belmopan Edition 2018. It's gonna be lit!!!"

The Reporter

Flooding and Killer Bees Threaten Different Belize City Neighborhoods
The flooding caused by incessant rains accompanied by a strong tropical wave and a swarm of bees posed threats today to families in two different neighborhoods in Belize City. In Belize City, low-lying areas were submerged in several inches of water. In the Lake Independence area, some residents of Electric Avenue found themselves in dire straits when their homes and belongings were threatened by rising waters. In another area of the City, on Cemetery Lane near the Yarborough Cemetery, a swarm of bees attacked two dogs that were chained in a yard. The residents grew concerned for children who normally play in the area. They appealed for assistance via social media but by 6:30 this evening, the bees were reportedly still there.

OC DENIES POLITICAL INTERFERENCE IN POLICE HANDLING OF DOMESTIC DISPUTE
Political interference was not involved in the way San Ignacio police handled a couple of domestic disputes that resulted in a shooting recently, Officer Commanding the San Ignacio/Santa Elena Police Formation, Supt. Richard Rosado told the Reporter. Rosado told us on Saturday that “someone is trying to create mischief,” when we informed him that we had received a report alleging that a man who is currently remanded for shooting his common-law wife during a domestic dispute, had been previously detained for assaulting his wife with the same weapon, and that the weapon was seized by police but given back without any charges laid after a politician had intervened.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Oscar Mira wins PUP convention in Belmopan
Retired military officer, Oscar Mira, is the People’s United Party (PUP) standard bearer in Belmopan. At today’s convention in Belmopan Comprehensive High School, he was able to secure 653 of 940 votes. In second place was Michelle Rodriguez, the wife of former Stann Creek West Area Representative, Melvin Hulse. […]

Southern Highway re-opened at Jacintoville
The National Emergency Management Organization (NEMO) is advising motorists that the water is steadily receding at Jacintoville, 8 miles outside Punta Gorda, where the road had earlier been made impassable due to overnight flooding. […]

Southern Highway still impassable
Motorists are advised that the Southern Highway is still impassable at Jacintoville, 8 miles outside Punta Gorda Town, as a result of flooding overnight. Personnel from the Ministry of Works, Department of Transport and NEMO are on the scene monitoring and managing the situation. […]

Jenelli Fraser wins Miss Universe Belize 2018
Jenelli Fraser has won Miss Universe Belize 2018. Fraser was crowned as the new Miss Universe Belize last night at the Biltmore Plaza Hotel in Belize City. She was crowned by former Miss Universe Belize 2016, Rebecca ‘Bex’ Rath. […]

Flood alert issued for Southern Belize
Belize’s National Meteorological Service is informing that a flood alert has been issued for Southern Belize. NEMO also issued an advisory this morning of flooding of the Southern Highway on Mile 8 in Jacintoville, Toledo. The National Met Service is forecasting moist and unstable conditions to continue. […]

Southern Highway impassable due to flooding
Today, the National Emergency Management Organization (NEMO) informed the public that the Southern Highway by Jacintoville, Toledo is flooded. The highway is currently impassable at Jacintoville which is 8 miles outside Punta Gorda Town due to heavy rains. […]

Blogs

A Paradise Where Life is Carefree…and Healthcare Can Be Free Too
Paradise is what you make it…and for many people, their paradise is life in Belize. They can have the Caribbean Sea, palm trees, sea breeze…all the things that come with a tropical lifestyle, for a fraction of the cost of back home. They can have all the amenities in havens like Caye Caulker, San Ignacio, or San Pedro. Grocery stores with everything they need; sports bars where people sit beneath a canopy of authentic thatch; diving and snorkeling; boating and fishing aplenty. These places are truly tropical paradises for them. Others have a different idea of paradise. I found mine in the district of Toledo, on the southernmost coast of Belize. Members of my expat community here love the untouched, untamed area where we dwell, surrounded by thousands of acres of treasured jungle and centuries of tradition. We are among the free-spirited, proudly-independent occupants of “The Forgotten District,” sandwiched perfectly between the Caribbean Sea to the east and the wild lands and mountains to the west.

Corozal Town Council Present's Corozal Miss Independence
August is coming to an end in Belize and September celebration are starting to be felt across Belize. One of the famous event held in Belize is Beauty Pageant across Belize. Usually, at this time of the year, pageants across Belize is being held on different districts on different dates. Locals are anxious to see who are their competitors in their own town. All Corozalenos where invite at the Miss Corozal Independence Pageant 2018. It was held at CCC Auditorium on Saturday August 25, 2018. It commenced shorty after 7pm and people had already filled the chairs. All who reach at the pageant cheared for their favorite . During the pageant there was several dance group, Miss Bernadette Gilharry performing, an singer, and a young lady playing the Piano. Miss Corozal 2018 competitors where: Ms. Ashely Gonzalez, Adriana villegas, Ms Gabriela Delcid, Ms. Clishara Gibson, Ms Barbara Valdarez. The five delegates had several categories to have Most to reach the finals. Ar, the end of the Show, Ms. Adriana Villegas won Ms. Corozal Independence 2018-2018.

International Sourcesizz

Belize opposition embraces ICJ referendum over Guatemala claim
Opposition People’s United Party (PUP) officials met last week in Belize City to discuss several national issues, including the national referendum slated for April 10, 2019, on whether or not Belize should participate in the International Court of Justice (ICJ) dispute resolution over Guatemala’s territorial claim to Belize. The PUP said it will step in to coordinate the national education process “since the government is not fulfilling their responsibility for a national education campaign”. The embrace of the referendum is a sharp about face for the PUP, as it has up to now been vehemently opposed to the governing United Democratic Party’s then position of sending the dispute to the ICJ via a proposed referendum.

The Maya’s Mystifying Collapse – Has the Truth Finally Been Uncovered?
Nothing is mightier than an empire at its peak. Great civilizations, awash in traditions, culture, knowledge, technology, riches and the raw power to make global changes have altered history and shaped the face of the earth throughout time. So how do these epic societies crumble so fantastically? When it comes to the Maya of Mesoamerica, it’s still a puzzle. They were so mighty that we marvel at their historical footprint today. So what strange circumstances ended with the downfall of the Maya civilization? Researchers from the University of Cambridge and the University of Florida put forth in a recent study in the journal Science what may be part of the solution to this thousand-year-old question. Based on measurements of water trapped in the rock at Lake Chichancanab in Mexico's Yucatán Peninsula where the Maya were based, they have determined that the annual precipitation amounts lowered, decreasing “between 41% and 54% during the period of the Maya civilization’s collapse, with periods of up to 70% rainfall reduction during peak drought conditions, and that relative humidity declined by 2% to 7% compared to today.”

Videos

• Outta Bush Rustic Builders, 2min. We offer all palapa materials from the start to the end. We are always happy to assist you. Thinking in building a palapa and don't know where to get the materials contact Outta Bush for an estimate. They deliver to you dock

• Launching of The September Celebrations!, 3hr41min.

• The Sun Splash event in Corozal, 10min.

• Day trip at Mountain Pine Ridge , Cayo Belize, 5min.

• Feeding the Tarpons - San Pedro, Belize (2010), 1min.

• Up in the mountains of Belize, 2.5min. Shot with a DJI Phantom 4 Pro in July 2018 by Isani as part of our Citizen Science GIS Sunday Funday hike with the entire team.

• Belize 2018, 6min. Some highlights from our time in Belize, split between Tea Kettle Village and Caye Caulker.

• manatees making love, caye caulker, belize, 2.5min. One of my snorkeling days in Belize where I've lived for few months. I was there with my local friend and then I realized that just in front of me there are two manatees making love. Such an amazing experience!!!

• Unbelizeable trip Belize & Tikal-Guatemala, 8min.

• Fishing during a lighting storm what an experience, 3min. i will be honest we though that it would only be a simple rain but it was more than a rain and we could stay for long so it is a short film hope you guys like the video

• Living on a Sailboat in Belize!, 6.5min. We spent a few days living on a sail boat in Belize and sailed all along the barrier reef for some gorgeous blue and turquoise oceans, snorkeling and lots of wildlife! Plus I love living on the ocean so spending time in cramped quarters on a boat is no big deal - although everyone else got pretty seasick!

• superman zipline in Harvest Caye, Belize, 4min.