Lucy Fleming sat down with Meg Peir and answered some questions about life in Belize. She talks about everything from the diversity of the Belizean people to what makes Belize special, and how one can find themselves here. Worth a read.

Eco Tourism Pioneer Lucy Fleming on Belize & Life as a Spiritual Practice

Meg: Before you settled in Belize, you traveled extensively. Tell me about the first time you traveled alone.

Lucy: My first really alone travel was the summer before college, going across the country with the JJ Rider Circus. Once on board, I soon realized that this traveling circus was its own traveling world and as a mere lackey it was going to be hard rote being accepted by this fascinating and eclectic group of new colleagues. This was 1967 and the circuses and carnivals of the day still endorsed freak shows which meant that we had our fat and bearded ladies, midget families, extra tall, tattooed and pierced men, and a wide assortment of the human oddities of the day. Fire-eater and sword swallower thrill acts joined the more accomplished acrobatic, horse prancing and knife throwing shows.

Iíll never forget the excitement of everyone pitching in to put up the tents in a new venue; the constant training for the various acts and the wild energy that ran through this tight knit circus family that held generations of nomadic history. I was called upon where needed and helped out with starting up and taking down, and everything in between from cooking to costumes repair, feeding the animals and repairing equipment, tallying receipts, and child minding, you name it, I did it. I guess that because I was a college kid, I was especially put through my paces by some, but then truly embraced by others. All in all I did manage to win my way to acceptance before leaving the group. I still consider this one of my favorite accomplishments.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos at bestculturaldestinations.com