Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#531539 07/28/18 05:13 AM
L
OP Offline
L
Hello from the United States! I'm terribly sorry if I'm repeating a thread here, please delete if not allowed. My husband, 2 dogs and I are relocating to San Pedro!

The San Pedro Scoop said some of you may be able to help us out! We both work remotely and want to take our Company international. We'd love to know about the long-term rental options in the area! Does anyone have any that are coming available around November? We're also looking for a vacation stay in San Pedro to visit before we move sometime in October.

I appreciate any and all help in advance!

Angel

C
C
Angel,

There is a FB group called Ambergris house/apartment for rent you should join. November is the beginning of the high season and rentals may be hard to find then. Some people advise securing a rental early, even if it means leasing before you are ready to move. You can also just talk to people when you are here. Sometime it is best to use word of mouth with the locals. I just use AirBNB or other vacation booking sites for the vacation stays.

L
OP Offline
L
Thank you so much! We'll consider this advice. Is it worth renting month to month with Air Bnb until a long-term lease can be secured?

We are so looking forward to this move. Any tips for integrating into the community once we arrive will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again,

Angel

Angel - my experience in integrating into the community was from long ago, but hopefully the advice below will be helpful today:

Be patient and polite. Manners are a big deal - practice good ones!
Do hold babies, do smile at strangers and say hello.
Take your shoes off when you go into somebody's house.
Always offer guests a glass of water.
Walk dogs and play with cats at Saga Society - you will have fun, meet good people and make a positive contribution to many lives.
Assume that you know nothing and ask questions until you more or less understand. Realize that even though this is an English-speaking country, the meaning of words may vary greatly from your home country.
Listen more than talk. Think about things before you jump into them.
Don't tell everybody your business or brag. Many reasons why.
Don't flirt with somebody else's significant other (back to the good manners part ....) - take this one seriously.
Take your daily life at a slower pace - talk about the weather or whatever comes up when you are out and about.
I made friends and learned a lot about people and the community by working outside the home. I think that was the best thing I did to get into the swing of things.
If somebody rushes you to "help" or to be your new best friend - beware and use caution because they may be working a hustle. There are wonderful and genuinely helpful people here but also realize that the real-life folks of San Pedro have friends and jobs and a busy schedule already ...... they probably won't be the first people you get to know. Over time you will meet them and you will find your place amongst them (back to the patience and listening part noted earlier).
Expect some culture shock and relax with it, It's a very educational experience and can ultimately be pretty funny if you roll with it.
Don't expect this to be an all-upbeat experience. You will make mistakes about people and procedures and culture as part of your learning curve. The community is very forgiving of new-arrival mistakes so just relax and do your best. If you mess up, apologize and do better next time.
Do expect this to be a life-changing move and hopefully one you cherish. I jumped in with both feet 26 years ago and am still right here having a real and fulfilling life. I hope the same for you.

L
L
Great advise!!

R.B. Mernitz
Here's an amusing example of one event on the communication learning curve ........ we had a group of workers building our house. Several of them said they were leaving the island on a Friday afternoon, heading for the mainland to visit family.
We asked when they were coming back. They said they were coming back on Monday.
On Monday not a one of them was at work. They did come to work on Tuesday.
We were frustrated and asked them why they did't come back on Monday - they said they did come back on Monday. They were actively "coming back" (traveling) on Monday.

We had clearly asked the wrong question. We should have asked what day and time they would be at work again.

Having visited Fisherjames's website, I'd say something is VERY wrong there. Phishing ??

J
J
Common sense goes a long way, you shouldn't need a rule book

Originally Posted by Jameela01
Common sense goes a long way, you shouldn't need a rule book

Common sense not so common .......

Who's sense? Very different culture to culture.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 356 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.