So, while 2.2 million annually will be spent to pay for hemodialysis treatments, the hard truth is, that is for persons with end stage renal failure - meaning they can only be kepy alive with regular treatments - they can't be cured.

The only way to stop kidney failure as a cause of death is to avoid the conditions - which lead to it - mainly diabetes. And as you just heard - that Ministry of Health is determined to make those interventions and The Minister started with a bold challenge to the Ministry of Education today:..

Hon. Pablo Marin, Minister of Health
"I will put the Ministry of Education on the spot right now. The Ministry of Health has already done a portion of it placing a soft drink - a no coka cola in all our institutions. I have asked the Ministry of Education again for us to sign an MOU for all those soft drinks being sold in schools and also for all the foods that are affecting our kids. So that is my take and I have cabinet tomorrow. I will bring that to cabinet, because we need to do that."

"This is it: our take at the ministry is for us to educate and to do what is right. What is right is for us to ban it at all levels in the schools to begin with and that is what we are going to do."

Reporter
"Will it be one hard ban or it will be phasing out?"

Hon. Pablo Marin, Minister of Health
"One hard ban. That is for the schools."

As he said, he's taking it to Cabinet - and we'll see what the Ministry of Education says tomorrow.

Channel 7

M.O.H. Wants to Ban Soft-drinks From Schools

The Ministry of Health wants to ban soft-drinks from schools countrywide, a move which has already been implemented in some Caribbean countries. �The announcement was made by Health Minister Pablo Marin this morning, saying that he will take the proposal to cabinet this week and hopes to get the nod from Education Minister Patrick Faber. �Minister Marin says the initiative is part of the ministry's action plan to tackle deaths associated with non-communicable diseases such as diabetes and hypertension. �The Ministry of Health has been promoting healthy eating and exercise.� Last week, the Ministry of Health signed an M.O.U. with all the mayors to promote wellness and a healthier lifestyle within their municipalities.� Banning the sale of sugary drinks at school takes the initiative one step further, says Minister Marin.

Pablo Marin, Minister of Health

"I will put the Ministry of Education on the sport right now. The Ministry of Health has already done a portion of it, placing a no soft drinks, no colas in all of our institutions. Now I will ask the Ministry of Education again, again for us to sign an MOU for all those soft drinks that are sold in schools and also for all the foods that are affecting our kids. So that is my take. I have cabinet tomorrow and I will bring it up in Cabinet because we need to do that"

Hipolito Novelo

"Is that MOH wants all sugary drinks to be banned from all educations institutions countrywide? What is the setback in terms of MOE's position on that stance?

Pablo Marin

"I think the only thing is for us to sit down and see how we will move it. I think we need to go step by step. The first thing for is for the schools to ban it from schools even though when they go out they will drink what they want. Why I am concentrating in coca-cola and soft drink is because I see one of my colleagues and I was telling them that morning that I ate three slices of bun and one coffee and my glucose was two hundred and fifty. I went to eat at his house and I was telling him that. His mother in law is a diabetic. She took out her container with all the stuff. She checked her blood and it was two hundred and seventy but my colleague went to two hundred and ninety with only that coke that he drank. So you can imagine how much sugar a coca cola has."

Hipolito Novelo�

"Sir do you anticipate that there would be moving hands in the shadows that would prevent this from happening because from a business perspective it would seem that this move will cut the revenues from these large companies?"

Pablo Marin

"It'll tell you a joke, the first time that we passed it and I mentioned that I would do it. We passed it in all out hospital and here in Belmopan. The guy from Corozal called me saying that he is looking for a job. I said why do you want a job? He said that they will fire him because I banned all the drinks and said he will send me a Coke Zero. He did send me a Coke Zero because he said this is better than the normal coke. Out take in the Ministry is for us to educate and do to what is right. What is tight is for us to ban it in all levels in the schools to begin with and that is what we are going to do."

Channel 5