FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and other specials

The San Pedro Sun

Authorities still have no solution to increasing garbage problems
The issue with the improper disposal of garbage in San Pedro Town remains an ongoing problem, with no clear solution in sight. Concerned residents are reporting the improper dumping of trash near the Holy Cross Anglican Primary School in the San Mateo Area, and as far as south of town near the Mosquito Coast, where massive amounts of garbage have been accumulating on the roadside. The accumulation of trash in public areas can attract all type of rodents and insects that can transmit diseases and contaminate the environment as well. Residents in those areas claim to have made calls to the local authorities but have received a poor response in addressing the issue. Given this growing problem, the San Pedro Belize Tourism Industry Association (SP BTIA) is launching a massive clean-up campaign from November 9th to the 12th. Islanders are invited to join this movement that seeks to clean all subdivisions of the island. Interested parties can sign up from now by calling 226-2070 or emailing [email protected].

Doctor Love: Me Time
Dear Doctor Love, My husband retired last year and we are fortunate enough that I was able to lessen my workload around the house as well. We enjoy meals out can hire people for jobs that one of us used to have to do. It is a freedom I really enjoy. We both keep busy with hobbies and usually in the afternoon we sit the sunroom with a glass of wine or beer and just relax, nap or watch a movie. My problem may seem foolish and petty but it is something that bothers me to no end. I have long been a volunteer at a local charity and during this time, I have always had the housekeeper come and clean. It is a four hour agreement for two mornings a week and she was always finished by the time I got home.

Misc Belizean Sources

mzz

John August takes Cayo Northeast
Reports emerging from Cayo Northeast are that John August has received enough votes to be the UDP's Standard Bearer in that division.

Unofficial Results of the UDP's Port Loyola Convention Willoughby over Peyrefitte

Saturday afternoon pics in San Pedro
Look like a bar/restaurant is getting ready to move into the old Sunset Restaurant location

Channel 5

Trio Charged for PC Martinez's Murder
Belize City police have charged 21 year old Glen Lopez, 18 year old Tyrique Myles and 19 year old Rayford Mejia with murder. They are accused of fatally shooting PC Osbourne Martinez on Friday morning as he responded to a report of an armed robbery at Belcove Hotel on Regent Street West. Police also charged the men with robbery. Myles and Lopez were additionally charged with Kept Firearm and Ammunition without a gun license. They are expected to be arraigned before a magistrate on Monday.

The Reporter

Phillip Willoughby HAS WON PORT LOYOLA - STANDARD BEARER
The unofficial results for the UDP Port Loyola Convention are in. Phillip Willoughby won with 1034 votes. Michael Peyrefitte got 847 votes. Dean Samuels got 144 votes and Ac. Castillo got 33 votes. The official results are expected to be announced shortly.

THE HOME OF SENIOR POLICE SUPERINTENDENT BURGLARIZED
Police have confirmed a burglary at the home of Senior Superintendent of Police, Howell Gillett. Reports are that sometime between 8:00pm, yesterday and 10:30am, today, the person or persons involved broke into Gillett's home and managed to escape with almost $3,000 worth of personal items, including a flat screen TV. Scenes of Crime personnel said that the culprit managed to gain entry into the house by prying open a wooden and metal door on the western side of the house.

POLICE CHARGE 3 MEN FOR POLICEMAN'S MURDER
Three men have been arrested and jointly charged for the shooting death of Police Constable Osbourne Michael Martinez. The Police Department says that Tyrique Myles, 18, Rayford Mejia,19, and Glen Lopez, 21, were charged on Saturday. The three are also charged with three counts of robbery, while Myles and Lopez were additionally charged with 'Kept firearm and ammunition without a gun license.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Re-count underway in Cayo Northeast
A re-count has been officially ordered in the United Democratic Party (UDP) Cayo Northeast division convention. The convention was held today at Saint Andrew's Anglican School in San Ignacio. The first count had indicated that Former Mayor of San Ignacio and Santa Elena, John August Jr. had won the convention beating present Mayor, Earl Trapp, by 3 votes.

Former Mayor takes lead in UDP Cayo Northeast convention
The battle for the United Democratic Party's (UDP) standard bearer in Cayo Northeast is a close race. Today, UDP supporters went to the polls to select a standard bearer to contest the next general election in an attempt to unseat current PUP Area Representative, Oralndo Habet.

Phil wins in Port!
After a heated campaign, Philip Willoughby, has been crowned the new "King of Port Loyola" after winning the United Democratic Party (UDP) standard bearer convention held today in that constituency. With 1,034 votes, Willoughby was able to push ahead of Michael Peyrefitte who got 847 votes. In third place was Dean Samuels with 144 votes.

Three battle to become UDP Cayo Northeast standard bearer
The United Democratic Party (UDP) is currently hosting a convention to elect a standard bearer for the Cayo Northeast Division. The convention is open to supporters of the UDP and is being held at Saint Andrew's Anglican School in San Ignacio.

UDP Port Loyola convention
United Democratic Party (UDP) supporters registered in the Port Loyola constituency are coming out to the St. John Vianney school campus this morning to vote for their new standard bearer. At first glance there seems to be an even distribution of supporters for candidates Dean Samuels, Michael Peyrefitte and Phillip Willoughby but the results will be the deciding factor.

Three charged for shooting death of police officer
Police have formally arrested and charged three men in connection with the shooting death of Police Constable, Osbourne Michael Martinez, which happened on Friday. Tyrique Myles, 18; Rayford Mejia,19; and Glen Lopez,21, have all been jointly charged for the crime of murder. Police additionally charged the trio with charged with three counts of robbery.

Blogs

International Sourcesizz

60% of world's wildlife has been wiped out since 1970
Well over half the world's population of vertebrates, from fish to birds to mammals, have been wiped out in the past four decades, says a new report from the World Wildlife Fund. Between 1970 and 2014, there was 60 per cent decline, on average, among 16,700 wildlife populations around the world according to the 2018 edition of the Living Planet Report released Monday. "We've had a loss of nearly two-thirds, on average, of our wild species," said James Snider, vice-president of science, research and innovation for WWF-Canada. "The magnitude of that should be eye opening� We really are reaching a point where we're likely to see species go extinct. That's true in Canada and abroad." The situation is most dire in the: "Neotropical realm" made up of Central and South America and the Caribbean, where wildlife populations have declined by 89 per cent. Freshwater ecosystems, which are plentiful in Canada, where populations have declined by 83 per cent worldwide.

Caribbean Travel Photo Of The Day - Belize
Belize, a Caribbean country in Central America is known for its natural beauty and waterfalls. Most of the island's magnificent waterfalls are located in the country's western Cayo District. Among them is Big Rock Falls, a gorgeous 150 foot waterfall on the Privassion River in the Mountain Pine Ridge Forest Reserve in the Cayo District. It is perhaps why Belize saw an increase in tourist arrivals to the nation this year. Here's one of those amazing falls.

New Small Island Developing States commit to tackle effects of climate change and obstacles to sustainable development
Facing the increased effects of climate change, natural disasters, and the outsized impacts of global economic shocks on small economies, Small Island Developing States (SIDS) resolved to strengthen their efforts to achieve sustainable development at the conclusion of a three-day meeting that ended this week in Apia, Samoa. "We're small, and we cannot make progress unless we co-op all the help that we can get," said Lois Young, Belize's Ambassador to the UN and co-chair of the Partnership Dialogue. "It has to be a win-win situation, both for us and for those who we partner with."

Videos

• Mestizaje was held at Rainbow Beach to celebrated the mestizo culture, 27min.

• Belize Port Carnival Miracle Oct 2018, 2.5min. First time in Belize, was supposed to do cave tubing but it was cancelled due to bad weather so we just explored the port town.

• Snook on the fly in Belize, 3min.

• Diving The Great Blue Hole Belize, 4min. Here's a few clips of my scuba dive in the Great Blue Hole in Belize. We encountered lots of sharks and huge groupers along the way. It was truly an experience of a lifetime.

• Traveling With Frontier Resolution: Mission Trip To Belize, 7.5min.

• Belize Summer 2018 - Unbelizable, 3.5min. Vacation with the GoPro. My first trip out of the country with my gf Lindsey and her friend Caitlin. We stayed on the island of San Pedro at the Sandbar.

• Belize 2018 Marine conservation expedition, 6min. Marine conservation expedition to the Bacalar Chico marine reserve. Apologies for dodgy camerawork, first time with a Go pro underwater!

• Belize Super Shallow Dive, 2min. We did one dive with our snokeling friends and found a great selection of marine life while in San Pedro. The dive was 3-20 ft only but enjoyable.

• Belize San Ignacio cahal pech, 4min.

• San Pedro Ambergris Caye Fishing from My back yard!!!, 10min. the fish that got away was a Snook. That fish was the one that hurt me the most that was a boomer.

• Verdes FC vs San Pedro Pirates FC, 2.5hr. Verdes wins 3-1