Yesterday I visited the San Pedro Artisan Market for the first time ever. Well…that’s not exactly true. The booths were located in Central Park for years…under a large palapa. But a few years back, they moved to the new location on Back Street.

And while I drive past here every day…often parking in the one central parking lot just next door…I’d never taken a walk around the booths. I guess I just figured that I already knew… But I didn’t. Not at all. Sure I’d seen some of the wooden bowls and beaded necklaces before but I found some new stuff…and bought a hammock for a great price…and saw some items that I’d really like to have.

Note: My very favorite part? The vendors are super friendly and not aggressive. After attempting market walks in places like Cancun…with hawkers sometimes shouting at you and following you…this was a sweet relief! I got a little lesson in weaving in Jippi Jappa…and learning about “jungle zericote” vs. local zericote.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see LOTS more photos in the San Pedro Scoop