Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
WWIII Offline OP
OP Offline
W
I just book my latest flight with Tropic Air and they have gone to a 3 tier pricing (similar to Southwest Air)

They have the Everyday rate with now shows that it is non refundable and there is a fee for any changes. Also only 1 bag is allowed. (this is the usual rate we have been paying)

They now have a Premium Fare that is $20.00 higher from BZE to SPR. This price give you the 2 bag with free changes that we used to get on the regular fare price. (BTW I have always had more that 2 bags and they have never made an issue out of it. I hope this has not changed)

They also have some getaway fares which all seem to be at the wrong time of the day for most travelers.

Does anyone have any experience with this new procedure and did you have any problems with the bag allowance?

E
E
Good to know as we will be coming down in late Jan. Are they still giving the 10% discount to people who own property?

I may be looking at Maya for the future after all these years on Tropic. Are they getting greedy like all the big airlines ? They have always been a great airline.

In all fairness to Tropic, and all airlines, an airplane is restricted to the weight in can carry. If some passengers have excess baggage that requires the plane to carry fewer paying passengers, then an additional plane and flight would be required.
So that begs the question, " who should bear the burden of that additional cost"?
The argument could be made that is not fare to the other passengers who do not have excess baggage to pay higher prices to offset this cost, or for the airline to have to absorb these costs without rising the costs to all.
Since I normally fly to Belize with only a carry on bag, you might guess where I stand on the issue.

Ok, assuming weight is the determining factor on what a passenger plane can carry, why should a 90 pound women with two bags weighing 100 pounds have to pay more than a 190 pound man with one bag weighing 50 pounds?
Just one of the many confusing things airlines do.

Last edited by bywarren; 12/04/18 10:16 AM.
B
B
If Tropic is now charging for changes, what happens when we miss our Tropic flight due to long customs and immigration line ups?? I used to be Tropic loyal, but Maya might be a better option now

Since lights travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
I believe, similar to other airlines, if you have missed your connecting flight due to flight delays you will be placed on the next available flight free of additional charges. Tropic and Maya monitor the flights that are arriving into Belize and the speed that the immigration and customs lines are moving at.

After nearly 20 years of being on Tropic's frequent flyer program I was stunned that they dropped the program. I reached out to them 3 weeks ago and have not gotten a reasonable response yet. I contacted Maya and their posted fares were 50$ less then Tropic's fare. I flew to municipal and back with Maya. Had a great experience and enjoyed their new terminal ,which is beautiful.
I can not believe Tropic treating loyal customers this way. For years I never questioned the rising fares because at least I had a 10 % discount.

1bzman
W
WWIII Offline OP
OP Offline
W
I agree and I also enjoyed the 10% discount. They do however now have a real frequent flyer program which seem to be about the same only you need to fly about 10 times to get 1 free flight.

E
E
Anything new on this? Is Maya the better route to go? We are coming back in Jan and haven't started to look yet.

R
R
Ecotrekker56 Tropic Air is the way to go, Maya not reliable. They've cancelled flights on me twice I guess because I was the only one schedule to go. Maya always late as well, Tropic Air always on time!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 372 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.