Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
We were impressed with the German Geologist who spoke for just a few moments. However, what he said put things in perspective..... He stated that the Blue Hole was once a dry cave over 10,000 years ago when Chicago was still under ice... Seems to be the effects of the ice age are still being felt. After further research the melting ice is resulting in higher levels of oxygen in the air and therefore the planet will return to the thick humid air it once was...... Of course that is to happen 10s of thousands of years forward..... More than likely there will not be humans as we know them today.... Definitely some thought provoking information.

My friends call me Judyann

www.blackorchidrestaurant.com
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

1972 Jacques Cousteau exploratory film about the Blue Hole. Fascinating.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Note on Facebook from Fabien Cousteau...

[Linked Image]

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

The Belize Blue Hole on the Discovery Channel

The much anticipated exploration of the Belize Blue Hole was aired yesterday on the Discovery Channel. Today we reflected on the importance of the scientific purpose of the dive with representatives of the Belize Audubon Society and Oceana Belize. They shared that the information being gathered will help us to have a clearer picture of the area and will help to inform conservation work. They also explained that the dive sessions continue as the team map the area and conduct important research. Two deserving students will win the opportunity to join one of the sessions and share in the experience. On our couch:

Amanda Burgos Acosta - Executive Director, Belize Audubon Society
Alyssa Carnegie - Communication Director, Oceana Belize

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Fabian Cousteau on Caye Caulker

[Linked Image]
Taking a 10 minute break from filming. Having an amazing cup of coffee with my new friend Digna at Sunshine Cafe on the beach. I love Cay Caulker and truly hope the local people NEVER change this beautiful island paradise !

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
7 Questions with� Blue Hole explorer Fabien Cousteau

Fabien Cousteau, the grandson of Jacques, is attempting to finally answer that question in a Discovery Channel mission to the bottom of the Blue Hole alongside explorer and entrepreneur Richard Branson.

1. Can you give us any predictions for what you expect to find at the bottom of the Great Blue Hole?

I'll quote my grandfather: 'If I knew what we were going to find I wouldn't go there'� The essence of exploration is the unknown and going to see what's out there. What drives me is my curiosity to find out.

Based on findings around Central America and the Meso-American reef there very well could be evidence in the Blue Hole pointing to Mayan culture, new species of sea life, and climate change evidence.

2. What do you expect the biggest challenges to be?

Expeditions are full of surprises and difficulties. Anything from technical problems to weather related issues can throw off a perfectly orchestrated plan. Just deploying the submersibles can easily be interrupted by high winds which would make it too dangerous to launch them.

3. How have your Grandfather's explorations helped you in preparing for this expedition and what would he think of it?

In 1970 My grandfather and his team on Calypso paved the way to understanding how special the Blue Hole is. This fundamental base of knowledge gives us a better understanding of what we need to prepare for and what science we can build on.

4. How can this expedition into the Great Blue help raise awareness about environmental issues?

The Great Blue Hole, just like the rest of the ocean, can tell us a great deal about our impact on it. the geologic formations inside the Blue Hole will give us a good roadmap of climactic changes in history. I suspect we might also see signs of human impact at the bottom. Either way, sharing the beauty and fragility of our ocean world is paramount to impassioning the public.

5. What kind of new technology will you use to capture footage that surpasses that from the first expedition?

Live broadcast, ROV cave footage, 4k & 8k video, acoustic 3D mapping are just some of the ways we will be able to bring back images well beyond the filming technology from 1970.

Click here for the rest of the story and more pictures on BT.com

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Marty; 12/06/18 06:33 AM.
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

The Blue Hole of Belize with Bryan Price on Spaced Out Radio

Back on December 2nd, Aquatica Submarines Vice President Bryan Price led his team to Belize to join Sir Richard Branson and Fabian Cousteau, grandson of ocean legend Jacques Cousteau, to investigate and map the Blue Hole for the first time in history.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 138 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,470
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.