Next Thread
Print Thread
Rudy Morales Drowns On Ill-Fated Fishing Trip #533746
12/12/18 05:56 AM
12/12/18 05:56 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Offline OP

Marty  Offline OP
He owns one of the largest bus lines in the north, but, yesterday evening, Rudy Morales was on the sea when he lost his life. The 41 year old bus owner's boat went under at the mouth of the New River - at the entrance to Corozal Bay. He and four friends and relatives were on a fishing trip. And tonight, we can confirm that his body was found this evening near Cerros - about a mile away from where the boat capsized.

Our 7News team was in the area all day and Jules Vasquez has this report from when the search was ongoing - and his body had not yet been found:..

Jules Vasquez reporting
41 YEAR OLD Rudy Morales was on this Lone Star 4 Seater 15 foot boat along with four others at the mouth of the New River yesterday at 5:00 pm.

That's where waters get choppy, and there was already a small craft warning. And, so, perhaps predictably, the small boat - which Morales had just bought a month ago - started to take on water.

And, so, perhaps predictably, the small boat - which Morales had just bought a month ago - started to take on water.

Reporter
"Did the boat take on water? Was it because the sea rough?"

Voice of: Nilver Patt
"The sea was rough and the waves were slaming at the back of the boat that made the water go inside."

That's the voice of his cousin, 28 YEAR old Nilvert Patt who was one of the men on board. He jumped into the water, swam for safety- and watched helplessly as his cousin went under.

Nilvert Patt
"We reached at the river mouth, we made it there in less than 5 minutes when the boat sank."

Reporter
"The water was rough?"

Nilvert Patt
"It was kinda rough yes."

Reporter
"So when it sank how far were you all from the river bank or the shore and how were 4 of you were able to save yourselves?"

Nilvert Patt - Cousin
"It was about 35 yards, well when we saw the water coming in, we just throw out our self because we all got frightened so we just swam to the side."

Reporter
"But Mr. Morales..."

Nilvert Patt - Cousin
"Yes unfortunately he did not make it."

Reporter
"How hard was it for you to save yourself in the rough waters, I know the river mouth has a lot of currents and is very choppy."

Nilvert Patt - Cousin
"I was the first one to jump off the boat. I just swam about 3 yards and I thought I was going to drown. I got strength, I don't know from where, my mind just went to my kids, I know my life was [] and i did my best and I reached first."

Reporter
"Did you see Mr. Morales go down?"

Nilvert Patt - Cousin
"Yes I did, it was so hard for me because he's my family."

Reporter
"There was nothing you could do."

And that's the grief stricken certainty with which dozens of well-wishers came to the Morales family home in Concepcion, Corozal with today. The relatively young man whose busses had become one of the major transit providers in the north is missing at sea, feared dead.

Today we saw the Coast Guard boats on the New River at the Pueblo Nuevo ferry - and hours later on the sea at the Town pier.

They were traversing between the river's mouth and the sea, but divers hadn't found anything.

Leaving everyone here with a sense of despair:

Nilvert Patt - Cousin
"I cried a lot with my family because this is not planned, this just happened and I went home about 2 o clock. I tried to sleep and I couldn't sleep. If I have 15 minutes left to sleep, it's a lot."

Morales was the father of two girls.

Again, since we left the north - Morales's body was found near Cerros. But, the seas are rough right now and retrieval is a little complicated. The Coast Guard has had to send for a smaller boat to get into the shallows. The recover operation is still on going.

Channel 7

Re: Rudy Morales Drowns On Ill-Fated Fishing Trip [Re: Marty] #533786
12/14/18 06:14 AM
12/14/18 06:14 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Offline OP

Marty  Offline OP

Official Details on Rudy Morales Drowning

Two persons drowned in separate incidents earlier this week in Belize City and Corozal. On Monday evening, a boat incident in the vicinity of the Cerros Maya Monument ended fatally for a well-known bus company owner. Forty-one-year-old Rudy Morales perished when the skiff he was travelling in, along with several other persons, began taking in water due to choppy seas.  The four other passengers survived, but Morales was nowhere to be found; that is until twenty-four hours later when a search team of relatives and coastguard personnel discovered his body floating near the mouth of the lagoon.  ACP Joseph Myvett gave official details.

ACP Joseph Myvett, Head, National Crimes Investigation Branch

“Mister Rudy Morales along with four other companions had left Corozal on a fishing trip. And sometime around five p.m., whilst coming back, they experienced some problems where the vessel began taking in water. As a result, the other four persons managed to make it to safety, while Mister Morales submerged beneath the water and did not resurface. Extensive searches by family members, police and the coastguard resulted in the retrieval of his body on Tuesday.”

The findings of a post-mortem revealed the cause of death is consistent with drowning.

Channel 5

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
San Pedro Fun Finder
Paradise Guy Event Calendar
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (kkare), 51 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics68,904
Posts474,601
Members19,400
Most Online2,982
Jan 29th, 2019

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.