Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
OP Offline
L
I just had a shot of coconut rum and have the newest Barefoot Skinny CD playing, so it is a good time for my trip report.

Just returned on Sunday from 10 days on AC (my second trip). Very different from the first one, but just as good, if not better.

The flight from the west coast is a long trip. I flew Continental. The flight from Houston to Belize City was hysterical! There were about 6 couples who were first timers and they were wild, ready to go. When we boarded, the flight attendant, who was a very fun middle-aged man asked me how I was doing. He then said it was a stupid question because I must be doing great if I was headed to Belize for a vacation. I gave him the "thumbs up" sign and off we went. These couples started drinking and dancing in the aisles of the half full plane. What do ya do? Join em! Too funny.

Arrive in Belize City and see Jet at his bar for a quick rum punch. He remembers everybody, the sweetheart! I got on a Tropic Air flight and sat in the co-pilots seat. Great view! After all the rum punches, I think I scared the other passengers! When I arrived at AC, I asked Tropic Air to keep my luggage and bolted across the street to BCs. Found Becky, then it was "hey Chicago, hey California, and a few shots of Vitamin T. Then headed to Banana Beach where my ocean front room awaited me! I love that place and am definitely staying there next time.

It was very windy the first couple days, but still hot, sunny and humid. I didn't mind at all. Look where you are! We played basketball downtown with some of the local kids until I was worn out, then dinner at Caliente. Good food.

The next morning, a woman (Linda) who was headed back to NY, gave us her golfcart for 24 hours. What a woman. Time to "pay it forward", but first things first: Sweet Basil for lunch, then to the local vet to make a Saga Society donation. Saw three week old kittens and the vet was very busy.

After this, I found a new spot that Becky told me about: Crazy Canuck's Bar, run by Carol and Don from Canada. Great place to hang and Brandy, the local German shepard, never tires of fetching a piece of coconut or rock. We laughed so hard, just looking at her face while waiting patiently to fetch. She could do it 24/7, I swear! If you are reading this, Hi to Carol, Don and the bartender, Rick - great people! Returned many times while down there. Lethal rum punches, I tell ya. After that, I was back at BCs and listening to this local telling us (with a linen napkin on his head) that Bin Laden was hiding in Bomba Village. He had the place in stitches.

The next day, a little R & R was in order, so hung at Banana Beach pool, read and relaxed, swam. Went over to Caye Caulker and ate at Rasta Pasta. The place was dead, but now I can say I have been there. Actually, I was surprised at the lack of tourists while I was there. I was with Becky and we ended up at the Poorman's Bar, a local establishment and danced with some elderly Belizean men. That was a hoot and they got a kick out of it. Also hung at the Sandbox for awhile.

When we returned to AC in the afternoon, we were on a "homeland security" mission. Don't ask, but we had a lot of fun. Ended up jumping in the pool at El Playador with little kids - all of us had a great time. I ate at La Margarita that night and it was good, just like last year.

Sunday, of course, is BCs BBQ - not to be missed, if you ask me. Again, the whole bar was laughing - it was crowded with lots of tourists and locals. This, along with Crazy Canucks, are my favorite bars on AC. Charlene outdid herself again. We drove up to Palapa on the golf cart. Only a couple of people were there and I danced a song then left. I knew Papi was waiting for me. Papi and his red snapper again made me so happy!

Cave tubing came next with Seaduced. Sammie and Robbie joined us. Hi guys. This trip is so worth it, folks. Jaguar Paw resort was gorgeous. Coco the monkey, the caves, Elito our guide and the Belize Zoo were awesome. We got lucky. All the nocturnal animals were up and prowling. Cannot wait to see my pics. Jade Garden for dinner was pretty good after a long day.

On Monday evenings, Crazy Canucks Bar has a local Belizean band. The music was good, the people better. I highly recommend this place to dance on Monday. Tell them Laurie from Sacramento (the woman screaming when the Kings were playing) said hello!

I saw Paisano many times, once sleeping under a house across from the water taxi. His toenails were painted bright red!

I went to El Patio for dinner which was close to my hotel and out of town. It was delicious. I had no problem eating, that is for sure!

I wanted to go snorkeling at Mexico Rocks and Tres Cocos since I already did Shark Ray Alley and Hol Chan last year. Well, this trip turned out strange. I went with a small group of people after being solicited by a local at BCs for the snorkeling trip. On the second stop, they told us to get out, so me and this other guy jumped into the water and the boat kept going! I had to swim against the current, swallowing water and was too tired to snorkel. Then, one of the "guides" thought it was funny to grab me under water. About had a heart attack because I thought it was a shark or something. Anyway, live and learn. They took us to Journey's End to hang out for a couple of hours. Very nice place.

I headed to the Blue Water Grill at the Sunbreeze for an appetizer of coconut shrimp. Good, but not the best bang for your buck. Also hung out at Shark's Bar, followed by BCs Cajun BBQ. That is on Thursdays. $5.00 U.S. - good and filling.

There is so much more, but too much to say here. Everything was great and I will be back. I ended the vacation with a deep tissue massage at La Diosa Spa and was in heaven after it was over. Go see Lynde if you want a good massage. She is from Laguna Beach, CA, where I grew up. I was so relaxed, I couldn't believe it. She even gave me a ride back to my hotel in her golf cart. There was no way I could do the walk -I felt like Gumby!

I also at at the Hideaway. Had their special and it was so good. Then my dinner companion ordered Bailey Coladas. I need that recipe!

On the flight home, I missed a connection and got upgraded to first class. The only time I have had the opportunity to fly first class and what do I do? Promptly fall asleep after one glass of vino for the entire flight. Oh well, maybe next time!
Cannot wait to go back!!

K
K
Great trip report!! My husband and I were down 4/27-5/4 and had a wonderful time. I have to ask, where is Bomba Village? The reason I ask is: one of the days we took a golf cart down south of Banana Beach and ran into a local named Charley. He grows and sells orchids(or gardenias). He needed a ride to his place which was toward the dump. Needless to say, we were a little nervous. He had us park our cart and walk into the jungle. (I was very nervous!!!) When we go to a clearing in the jungle, we saw a tent. Charley said and this is my dog, Max. About that time this guy jumps up and scares the **** out of us. Anyway, he was joking about being Bin Laden. It turned out, everything was cool. Charley showed his flowers and his tent where they live. We had some extra salami we gave him and happily went on our way. Had we thought about it before, we may have not done that. All of the people are soo friendly, so we figured we had to be safe. Anyway, it is a fun story to tell.

Nice trip report Laurie. I just got a flashback from the night you and I were at Canuck's and we couldn't get Brandy out of the golfcart. It had to be a stitch watching you and I push her out and drive down the road and her jump right back in. Too funny. Glad you made it home safely.

J
J
Great trip report, we'll be there next week, first time. We also are staying at BB and from Sacto. You mentioned that you saw a Kings game. I realize that there will plenty to do other than watching TV, but maybe the Kings vs Lakers may be in the plan. Suggestions where to go to catch a game?

Thanks,
J-Out [Linked Image]

C
CCR Offline
C
KellyofSR - Bomba Village is back on the mainland (off of the river.) Not accesible by golf cart from AC [Linked Image]
Sounds like you had a great time.
I agree about Brandy dog. Met her back in March and she's a blast!
Thanks for sharing your reports.
Cindy

L
L
Jaminout: I caught some of the Kings games (I am a huge fan!) at Crazy Canucks. Both bartenders, Rick and another guy (who is from Carmichael) are Kings fans. Try a rum punch, play with Brandy and watch the Kings there. You will love it!

Becky: That episode with Brandy made me laugh so hard! I wish someone videotaped it. We could make some spot cash for sure! I heard you dropped Brandy off in a taxi on the way to the airport when you left!! LOL.

J
J
Thanks lmarquis, we're there. I was a bartender for many years in Sacto, I wonder if the bartender from Carmichael and I have crossed paths. Have to have a few rums with the Crazy C crew...

Thanks much,
J-Out
[Linked Image]

L
L
Kelly: If it was the same guy you would probably know. This guy had only three fingers on one hand. He kept going on and on about Bin Laden hiding in Belize and Arafat - it was so funny. He is also the only person I have ever known who could give you the bird with his foot. He can stick up his middle toe. Give it a try, I sure can't do it!

Laurie, who told, she was looking so forlorn when I was leaving and I couldn't just let her walk home alone. That taxi driver was not impressed by the way she jumped into the taxi, but I bought him a soda and tipped him a little bit. As I left her at Canuck's I threw her one last stone for the road and walked away, tearfully, sniffle, sniffle. I'm going to write a country song about Brandy. She left me for a rock on an island far away, yadda, yadda, yadda.

L
OP Offline
L
Cracking up over here in California. I can just see the taxi driver's face. He didn't think it was as funny as we did when she wouldn't get off the golf cart!!!

As far as who told me, I, well, um. . .Don, of course! He was laughing about it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 290 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.