Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
It appears that this new development will take place at the old Sueno del Mar property located about 12 miles in North Ambergris Caye; the development had been foreclosed by Belize Bank.

Hotel Management on Thursday learned resort hotel brand Margaritaville is developing a new property on Ambergris Caye, Belize's largest island.

Rick Cunningham, VP of hotel development at Margaritaville, told HM his company took over construction of a previously abandoned development on Ambergris Caye's north shore and is repositioning it as a Margaritaville resort, utilizing the site's seven existing buildings that reportedly were under development as a hotel. The VP could not confirm the number of guestrooms that would be finessed out of the existing structures.

Cunningham added Margaritaville will be expanding the resort's footprint by building two more structures consisting of 71 residential condominium units, with an overall opening date for some time in 2020. The one- and two-bedroom residences will feature verandas, furnished kitchens and other amenities.

"This [site] was a project that was built during the last downturn, but was never completed," Cunningham said. "We are now redoing it under the Margaritaville brand with a new design, new food-and-beverage concept and more."

Cunningham said talks to take over the project began roughly 10 months ago, and the decision to commence development was made after visiting the site. The property is primarily accessible by boat via the island's 400-foot pier.

"This entrance is what makes the property so luxurious," Cunningham said. "From the resort, guests can take a boat to a nearby reef for diving and kayaking."

Cunningham referred to the development as "phase one" of the resort's life cycle, suggesting Margaritaville plans on expanding the property's stable of rooms and residences based on demand.

When asked if Margaritaville anticipates any challenges as a result of picking up a once-abandoned project, Cunningham said the structures were well maintained in the years since the original project tanked. The executive doesn't foresee any weather-related difficulties in the future, as the hotel is protected by a nearby reef that helps shield the island from waves, storms and floods.

Logistics, though, are top of mind, he noted. "Because we're building in the Caribbean we have to import materials, so that does take longer," Cunningham said. "However, that is normal for the region. We're just eager to get going."

HotelManagement.net

So this is who is developing the property at the former Sueno del Mar. I have watched some improvements recently but didn't expect this. This should be interesting to watch develop.

Coleen

Beach bum, butterfly stalker, native plant enthusiast.
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Turning Belize into Margaritaville�Is this the Direction We Want to Go?

If something is good, more of it is better. Change and embracing change is always a good thing, right? Progress, progress, progress. Don't stand in the way of progress. Change isn't always good. What if we are changing what makes Belize special and desirable? What if there is change with no proper infrastructure or plan (or a plan that is just totally ignored)? If we open 1000 new hotel rooms without a capable water or sewage system, what do we have?

Perhaps we should be identifying and amplifying what makes Belize SO desirable rather than trying to change it into Margaritaville.

And by Margaritaville, I am not picking Jimmy Buffett or his music, I am highlighting a type of resort or restaurant that could be anywhere�nondescript, all inclusive, predictable "island inspired Margaritaville lifestyle". A place more about the brand than the actual location.

I think we need to be really careful. Really REALLY careful.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos in the San Pedro Scoop

One thing I have noted over the years has been the fact that there is a wide variety of people, from all walks of life that love Ambergris Caye. Although my first vacation choices do not include staying in hostels or all inclusive or adults only theme accommodations I know that we have visitors that have all requested these options. I was initially shocked but have now come to accept that we have guests that are truly happy to arrive on the island, be taken to their resort and then plunk themselves down by the pool for their entire stay and they don't even venture out for meals. Belize and her natural resources, diverse culture, compelling history complete with ruins and water and jungle adventures are definitely on many a traveler's bucket list - but all of our guests are all looking for a visit to Belize on their terms, with their comfort zone of life-style and budget in mind.

The Belize government and the Belize Tourism Board have been striving to engage the departments of health, environment, fire and accident prevention etc in order to make this destination a pleasant and safe experience. New developments are expected to follow guidelines and be capable of ensuring sufficient water systems and sewerage disposal etc.

I remember when there was a huge protest against the town center clock tower including the jumbotron scene. Anyone else remember that? The overwhelming majority of people in opposition were ex-pats saying that we shouldn't add this and destroy the natural beauty and become less desireable to visitors. But you know what? When I polled my friends, their kids, our mainstay work force and others from around the country they all thought it was great and the kids couldn't wait to see a jumbotron installed. For as many loudly vocal opponents that we protesting against the project, I met four times as many folks that were excited and pleased about the project - they just weren't amassing in great numbers to show their support.

I realize that many ex-pats come to our island seeking a simpler life dissimilar from where they hailed from. But our people, our businesses and our guests do crave more development, more progress and more amenities. We are having more and more children, we are living longer and the cost of living is on the rise. We must grow, build and improve and add more options to our fledgling tourism industry in order to keep up with the other destinations we are completing with so that we can get a market share that will ensure that our people can continue to thrive and progress in their careers and within the community.

Whether any of us like it or not we should embrace change and input our suggestions on how to steer progress but we should also consider other people's perspectives and needs - no only our own, when we take bold strides to protest change and development.

All of the franchise resorts avoided Belize in the past because it wasn't a viable financial market - and that has now changed. In the same way that the real estate franchises and cruise lines have infiltrated our country we are now seeing the chain hotels arrive. With this come some sweeping changes but also with this comes a new wave of tourists - the ones that want to experience adventurous destinations such as Belize but are perhaps a little wary. These guests feel more comfortable when they are in somewhat similar surroundings. They want to try the water but they want to start with dipping their toes in before taking the plunge.

You may not realize it but ask any Belizean what is one of the first things they couldn't wait to try the first time they went overseas? Certainly I know when I ask my friends the answers were Starbucks, McDonalds and Chic-fil-a. And they want to visit places that are very dissimilar from the natural beauty that we so love here in our own country. They want to see a big city, ride a subway train, or climb a tall mountain. And most of us will admit then when traveling abroad we will stop in to a business if we see a little Belize flag displayed. Why? Because we still seek the comfort of home away from home.

I have met many, many people whose first visit to Belize was via a cruise ship. They saw what they liked and decided to return because now Belize was a little less daunting to them. In the same manner we will see guests that start their visits by staying in a chain resort where the name and brand is familiar to them, and once they realize that Belize really is like the promise in the brochure they choose to return and sample a more Belizean experience staying in a Mom and Pop guest house and going out with fishermen and dive shops that they identified during their whirlwind cruise.

Belize still can offer people a full authentic, quiet life devoid of mass tourism - you only need to venture off the beaten path by a few miles to be transported into a whole different world. Even on Ambergris Caye there are areas that rarely see visitors. Granted, that is changing but if people have chosen to live on Ambergris Caye they have chosen to be here because it is a vibrant, successful and progressive destination full of natural beauty, wonderful people and so many options to choose from when it comes to jobs, careers, hotels, restaurants etc. If we do not continue to grow, evolve and adapt to meet our market expectations and population density then we will do the opposite.

I have been coming to Belize for some 18 years every time some one always ask me why? Each time is a new adventure. Another question I been asked is why I have not invested in real estate? I tell them I enjoy staying at same hotel each time. Starting in Nov 2018 I am starting to invest in the great non profits such as Saga and Hope Haven knowing I can make a difference on this great place. i am in Jan 2019 I am donating a large sum of money to Saga & Hope Haven.I challenge any one else to do same thing.

Thanks Bobcat Bill. I know you love San Pedro and all it's residents. Your donations are appreciated.

The pen is mightier than the mouth write to elected offices utility companies and tell them to change San Pedro for the better. Enough said

E
E
I think you summed it up very well Amanda. some people go places and never leave the resort, some want to get out and explore the places they vacation to and then you have the whole spectrum in between. I am more towards experiencing the local flavors and life. Belize has many charms and can fit everyone's taste. sooner or later tho if big business thinks its lucrative they will move in. I remember when Jimmy Carter went to Cancun back in 79. People were asking where the heck is Cancun and why would anyone want to go there. Now look at it. San Pedro has changed a lot in the 15 years we have been coming here. For residents it isn't as noticeable because it is slow and changed day by day but for someone who comes once every year or so its more noticeable. Most of the stuff has been for the better like the road in the north.

S
S
No disrespect to Mr. Buffet but Margaritaville Holdings' association with the former Sueno Del Mar property will prove to be a black mark on the Company's brand, not to mention the bad karma it will endure from the 150+ previous "owner / members" that were screwed by Belize Bank's corrupt sale to politically connected Belize insiders.

S
S
Sad day for the previous 150+ member / owners of Sueno Del Mar. Margaritaville holdings is making a mistake associating its brand to this project

J
J
Sueno Del Mar has a very sad history, and my heart hurts for the previous owners, it was just all wrong to do that to people! San Pedro has sentimental memories for a lot of people, but in reality that's the past. I grew up in a small fishing town, my father was a commercial fisherman, but the town now is full of tourists, bumper to bumper with their motor homes in the summer time. Memories are just that, change happens. All these dwellings in San Pedro are just supposed to sit there and rot? Too many in my opinion. Instead of utilizing the already existing ghost buildings, new ones are being built. I for one am glad to see an unused facility being reformed and used again. Along with modern times comes change.....San Pedro is the "Cash Cow" it will never be the quaint little fishing town again. Get your heads out of the sand, and quit whining!

We do hear some people that have had bad real estate experiences in Belize and they say they have been "Belized" and I feel this is a very unfair statement in most cases - as with Sueno Del Mar for example - the original developer (non-Belizean) had a bad business model, sold a dream, left with profits and in his wake a disaster and nightmare for his investors because he had not taken care of their interests at just about every level. The original investors lost their money and their misfortune is now a new investor's new dream. Yes it is very sad when we see failed projects - we do see them rise from the ashes but it takes time. We are now seeing failed projects moving ahead and being managed better and although there are unhappy original investors that did not receive what they were promised by their foreign developers, this reflects badly and unfairly on Belize and Belizean. As with all real estate transactions the world over - buyer beware - do your due diligence and you will be glad that you did.

It would eliminate bad publicity for Belize if developers who solicit pre construction funds were required to obtain a bond that would protect investors in the event the developers did not complete the project. But, I guess if people are willing to trust these developers that is a chance they take. It keeps with Belize history of its founders - Pirates.

J
J
I agree wholeheartedly Bywarren...there should be some law that protects the consumers. The best protection is to purchase a completed project that has been proven to be successful, not to fall in the trap of pre-construction discounts

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

A Proposed Margaritaville Resort in the Middle of Bacalar Chico Marine Reserve

There is a new tourism development project on Ambergris Caye to be constructed within a marine reserve. Last week, Margaritaville�Holdings, a global lifestyle brand announced its mega multimillion-dollar project on the north end of the island. While the opening is scheduled for 2020,�Margaritaville�Resort Belize is described as a condo resort located on the unspoiled northern end of the island and within the Bacalar Chico Marine Reserve - a UNESCO World Heritage Site.��You heard right; smack within a reserve, which just recently was removed from the list of world heritage sites in danger. The release says, "overlooking the azure waters of the Caribbean, the resort will be comprised of seventy-one residences, two pools, signature�Margaritaville�food and beverage concepts and more." The tourism project is that of singer, songwriter and best-selling author�Jimmy Buffett. Today, the media asked Minister of Trade and Investment, Tracy Panton about the project and the implications.�

Tracy Panton, Minister of State, Trade & Investment

"The Margaritaville line is monies that have been allocated by the Jimmy Buffett Foundation. They have not yet applied yet for a fiscal incentive; they are still very much in the planning stage. We do understand that they will be meeting with us shortly, so the finer details we don't have. But we have been advise of the investment and so we are looking forward to opening a new market, a new clientele as a result of their brand."

Reporter

"Is this being built in a reserve area?"

Tracy Panton

"I can’t say."

While the minister is unaware of the scope of the project, News Five has been told that the two hundred million-dollar investment will have on-site amenities to include pools, signature�Margaritaville�food and beverage concepts, and a beach sports centre. It will also feature a four hundred-foot pier which will serve as the launching pad for kayaks, wave boards and Hobie Cat sailboats.

Channel 5

Margaritaville Holdings, the global lifestyle brand synonymous with fun and escapism, announced on Thursday, February 7, 2019, a new condo resort on Ambergris Caye, Belize's largest island. Opening in 2020, Margaritaville Resort Belize is located on the unspoiled northern end of the island and within the Bacalar Chico Marine Reserve - a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Overlooking the azure waters of the Caribbean, the resort will be comprised of 71 residences, two pools, signature Margaritaville food and beverage concepts and more.

"I am not a stranger to Belize. I have enjoyed the natural beauty of the country and extremely warm friendship of Belizeans for decades. Margaritaville and Belize have long shared the same attitudes, now we get to finally share the same latitudes," said singer, songwriter and best-selling author Jimmy Buffett.

"Belize is the fastest-growing destination in the Caribbean and with good reason, as it really is one of the most beautiful places in the world," added John Cohlan, chief executive officer of Margaritaville and Buffett's long-time business partner. "We're honored to partner with long-time pioneers and cherished members of the Belize community to build on a shared vision for the future of this incredible destination."

Each of Margaritaville Resort Belize's one- and two-bedroom residences will feature a consistent, casual-luxe design, a spacious veranda and come fully furnished with a kitchen. On-site amenities will include two pools, signature Margaritaville food and beverage concepts, and a beach sports centre. A 400-foot pier will serve as the launching pad for kayaks, wave boards and Hobie Cat sailboats.

With robust marine life and diverse eco-systems along the world's second-largest barrier reef, Belize - and Ambergris Caye - are located within the Mesoamerican Biological Corridor, providing unparalleled water adventures.

"While Belize is best known for its beaches, the destination goes far beyond the sun and sand, offering many more incredible experiences," said Michael Bowen, president and chief executive officer of Bowen & Bowen, Ltd. "Margaritaville Resort Belize is perfect for those with a passion for living the Margaritaville lifestyle - whether that's getting out on a paddle board, scuba diving, or just relaxing in a hammock."

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Concerns Continue to Mount over Margaritaville in Bacalar Chico

The fisheries department is looking into a proposed multimillion-dollar tourism project within a delimited area. As we reported on Monday, Margaritaville, a mega investment by the Jimmy Buffett group, has announced that the resort is smack within the Bacalar Chico Marine Reserve on the north end of Ambergris Caye. The proposal has raised eyebrows even as the investor is preparing to meet with the cabinet investment subcommittee shortly. Today, News Five asked C.E.O. in the Ministry of Environment, Doctor Percival Cho about the project and whether environmental clearance has been sought.

Dr. Percival Cho, C.E.O., Ministry of Environment

"The Fisheries Administrator mentioned it to me a couple days ago and we are looking into it. I would have to get back to you with the information on the particular development. One comment that I can give at this point is whenever we hear development in a protected area, we have to realize that some times, the land was established before the protected area was there or it forms part of an enclave. So it is not necessarily that a development is occurring inside a protected area; it might be on a piece of private land within a general delimited area. I understand that this is one of the case. Bacalar Chico is part of the World Heritage System and there is a responsibility or a requirement, as I understand it, for the country to report, make an assessment of developments within or around this World Heritage Site. So in this context, we are looking into it to get more details. Any undertaking in Belize of a certain scale, size or location requires environmental clearance. I can tell you off the bat that the Environmental Impact Regulations require any development around near to or inside protected areas to require an environmental impact assessment. So this proposed activity, whatever is being proposed by the developers, those details will have to be provided to the Department of Environment if they haven't done so yet-like I said, I would have to check on that-and the Department of Environment will make a recommendation as to what type of E.I.A. is required and what all must be done."

Channel 5

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Margaritaville Resort Announces Environmental Protection Plan

Earlier this month, The Ambergris Grand Limited ("TAG") announced a partnership with Margaretville Holdings to bring a new Margaritaville condo resort to Belize, offering travelers and owners a fresh take on an authentic Belizean experience.

TAG shared additional details on the development, including the company's environmental protection plan for the project, which is located adjacent to the Bacalar Chico Marine Reserve.

"We are excited about bringing the world's leading lifestyle brand to Belize and partnering with a group like Margaritaville who knows, loves and respects Belize," said Eddie Bouloy, Director.

"Our company is passionate about protecting the integrity of this beautiful destination and we look forward to creating an environment that captures the natural essence of Belize, while incorporating some fun new elements."

TAG is a venture group majority owned by Belizeans. This Margaritaville Resort Belize project will include the renovation and expansion of an existing property, which faced financial hardships leading to a closure that lasted more than eight years. The reinvestment TAG is making into the project will bring substantial employment to the growing hospitality industry, while expanding the destination's offerings to tourists from around the world, giving them a chance to enjoy Belize in an environmentally friendly and sustainable way.

TAG has already started renovation of the existing site, which is located at 18°05' 17" N 87°
52' 30" W, south of the Bacalar Chico Marine Reserve. Developers have received an Environmental Compliance Plan ("ECP") from the Belize Department of the Environment, which defines how they will operate and handle vegetation clearance, construction and infrastructure, water resources, waste management, cultural and social issues, and more.

TAG will follow guidelines and assist in patrolling the adjacent General Use Zone of the reserve which restricts fishing, catching of lobster and conch, and the use of long lines, spear guns, and the use of gill nets.

Margaritaville is a long-time supporter of the environment and committed to making positive contributions in each of its local communities. Margaritaville will be part of the conservation effort, working closely with all parties to help protect the destination's wildlife and natural beauty.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Margaritaville brand property to open in Ambergris Caye raises concerns

The announcement of a mega multi-million dollar resort complex under the Margaritaville brand, scheduled to open in 2020 in northern Ambergris Caye, has raised concerns among islanders, including environmental and governmental institutions, due to its location within Bacalar Chico Marine Reserve - a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Allegedly, the property is owned mainly by Belizeans who will expand it and turn it into a Margaritaville getaway, comprising of a condominium resort with 71 waterfront residences, complete with a 400-foot pier, two pools and the brand's signature food and beverage concepts. The transformation of the property will include a mix of fully-furnished one, two and three-bedroom residences, each with a large veranda. The three-bedroom units, will feature 1,475 interior square feet along with 1,649 square feet of outdoor space. Other amenities include Jacuzzi tubs and spacious balconies overlooking the beach.

But the fact that the resort is in Bacalar Chico is now raising concerns in San Pedro Town, with residents saying that the project idea is not environmentally friendly. The Hol Chan Marine Reserve management noted their disapproval toward this type of projects. They see them as a threat to the sensitive marine ecosystem around the island that can cause irreversible damages not only to the marine reserve, but ultimately to Belize's Barrier Reef System. Hol Chan further stated that while they will protest and register their disapproval whenever needed, the final say ultimately comes from Central Government.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos in the San Pedro Sun

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Margaritaville is an international franchise of resorts with destinations all over the US and the Caribbean. In a little over a year, one of these resorts will be opening in Belize. Love News Reporter Courtney Menzies visited the developing site in the Bacalar Chico Marine Reserve and told us more about the project.

================
[Linked Image]

Margaritaville Resort on schedule to open on Ambergris Caye in 2020

Plans for the completion of a resort complex under the Margaritaville brand in northern Ambergris Caye are on schedule, and according to its shareholders, the multi-million dollar project will be open for business in December 2020. As works continue to meet this deadline, an entourage of executives representing Margaritaville descended on the property on Tuesday, October 29th for a routine inspection. Among them was the brand's Chief Executive Officer (CEO) John Cohlan, who was impressed with the project that will see 71 units (one and two bedrooms) including a penthouse, two pools, four bars, two restaurants, and a 400-foot pier, complemented with the brand's signature and beverage concepts.

CEO Cohlan and his group arrived via Astrum Helicopters, accompanied Mayor Daniel Guerrero and Deputy Mayor Gabriel 'Gaby' Nu�ez. They toured the manicured grounds of the property leading to one of the pools that was recently filled in. They also visited one of the bars under construction and then one of the two-bedroom units on the beachfront. The third-floor penthouse, which is under construction, was also inspected. It offers breath-taking views of the Caribbean Sea and reef. One of the last areas to be visited was the vacant site where one of the restaurants will soon begin construction. This restaurant will connect with one of the pool bars to better serve customers.

Click here to read the rest of the article in the San Pedro Sun

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Margaritaville Beach Villa Resort in Belize - Opening in 2022
Inspired by the legendary music and lifestyle of singer, songwriter and best-selling author Jimmy Buffett, this brand-new resort is located on a secluded beach in Ambergris Caye and offers world-class fishing and diving, premium one-bedroom, two-bedroom and three-bedroom floor plans fully furnished with island-inspired d�cor and refreshingly brilliant Caribbean flair. As an investment, owners can enjoy owning property in a country that is experiencing the highest growth in the entire Caribbean.

[Linked Image]

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
[Linked Image]

Margaritaville Belize Opens: A First Look at the Resort

Whether you are a fan or not, the Margaritaville empire is HUGE - and the fact that Margaritaville Belize just opened this week�it's a big deal. So�I HAD to drive up to visit the newly opened resort. With an open mind, ready to embrace the kitsch. Take a look at Margaritaville Belize - 13 miles north, Ambergris Caye. The employees here - some I know from other spots around San Pedro - and some who are new to the island - are INCREDIBLY friendly and welcoming. And excited to be open.

The bar and the swim-up bar look really good. These beds are all over the place and look really good. The incredibly friendly crew at the Front Desk told me to go check out the spa�and so I did. Celisse, the spa manager, let me look around and even offered me a cold bottle of water. Yes please. A pickleball court. There are a number of cabanas for treatments and then the reception and a fitness center.

Click here to read the rest of the article in the San Pedro Scoop

A
A
Looks awesome! Would love to visit or even live there if I win the lottery LOL. The site says the 2-3 bdrm villas are already sold out! Only a few 1bdrms left.....lucky dogs....This is really close to the northern dive sites.

I sold my home on AC 20 years ago. Development was already well on it's way. I continued to visit throughout the years, but as "life happened", my visits became shorter and less frequent, but the people and the place, never left my mind. A few months ago, after a little soul searching, and a lot of financial juggling, I made the decision that it was time for an extended visit back to AC, with the hope to "move back home" . I researched a list of available homes / condo's on the market, booked a flight and and off I went. Wow, have things changed. Thomas Wolfe's adage, "You can never go home again", hit me like a ton of bricks. So many changes. Some feel it is for the better - some feel it is for the worse. Either way, most people have no option but to adapt. I am blessed enough to have options, and decided against moving back. The memories of my years on Ambergris Caye will always be very special. It was a magical place and time.

Last edited by Inky; 03/22/23 09:15 AM.
Probably a good decision on your part. If they build any more condos on the island, it's going to sink. And, if you were to locate here, you would have to buy a car that would drive faster than the taxi cabs.

J
J
I used to live in Southwest Florida, Ft. Myers to be exact, and before I moved there my family visited from the time I was a very small child. Now, I have not been back for 5 or 6 years because the place is just flooded with people and development and I just don't care for it much anymore. In just the short time i have been coming to AC, first time in 2019, I can see the tremendous growth and development. Sad that every place that is really nice gets overexploited.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.