Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#531132 06/27/18 06:33 AM
C
OP Offline
C
First, I am not phone savvy. I still have a flip phone. Moving to Belize on August 1 and need help with phone use. My apartment has internet access so I don't have to worry about that. Someone told me to get an updated, unlocked phone before I leave. Looking to download Viber and use to call the US. I will download Viber before I leave the US so as to have it already on my phone. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I heard that Belize blocks Skype.

Thank you so much.

E
E
So what did you find out? and what is Viber? we will be there for an extended time in Jan 2019 and will want to get a phone set up. My US phone I can get text but no calls. Should I bring down a phone or just purchase a phone and get a plan there. I do have a couple older smart phones that I could bring down.

Skype is no longer blocked almost all VOIP services work in Belize now Messenger etc

Originally Posted by Ecotrekker56
So what did you find out? and what is Viber? we will be there for an extended time in Jan 2019 and will want to get a phone set up. My US phone I can get text but no calls. Should I bring down a phone or just purchase a phone and get a plan there. I do have a couple older smart phones that I could bring down.

Yes, bring one of your older smart phones. Good idea. You can get a sim-card for it and if it is locked somebody here should be able to unlock it.

A
A
It is easier to get your smart phone unlocked in the US, and, it may not cost anything if you contact the carrier you had service with.
Also, you can download Skype, which I use all the time to call outside of Belize. To call the US from Belize the cost is $.023 per minute. Quite a good deal.

R
R
I'm using a Project Fi phone that is good in 146 countries and works great in Belize and phone calls are $0.22 per minute and free texting. it auto switches and acts like a local phone in belize.

Richard Chapman
E
E
has anyone tried the Samsung Galaxy J2 Pro? So if I bring an unlocked phone down I get a sim card and a plan from the local provider? what is the average cost of plans? or are you thinking of just using viber and skype?

Last edited by Ecotrekker56; 12/30/18 01:25 PM.
My wife brought her phone down in Nov for 3 weeks bought sim and worked great using skype and Facebook messenger calls. Plans were cheap not sure of exact prices at the moment

E
E
good to know. I found my wife's galaxy s6 that I thought was broken...but I got it to work. am going to try that. DLed viber and skype...i took it up to the verizon store to get it unlocked they said all their 4g phones are unlocked....we will see.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 294 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.