Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
It appears that this new development will take place at the old Sueno del Mar property located about 12 miles in North Ambergris Caye; the development had been foreclosed by Belize Bank.

Hotel Management on Thursday learned resort hotel brand Margaritaville is developing a new property on Ambergris Caye, Belize's largest island.

Rick Cunningham, VP of hotel development at Margaritaville, told HM his company took over construction of a previously abandoned development on Ambergris Caye's north shore and is repositioning it as a Margaritaville resort, utilizing the site's seven existing buildings that reportedly were under development as a hotel. The VP could not confirm the number of guestrooms that would be finessed out of the existing structures.

Cunningham added Margaritaville will be expanding the resort's footprint by building two more structures consisting of 71 residential condominium units, with an overall opening date for some time in 2020. The one- and two-bedroom residences will feature verandas, furnished kitchens and other amenities.

"This [site] was a project that was built during the last downturn, but was never completed," Cunningham said. "We are now redoing it under the Margaritaville brand with a new design, new food-and-beverage concept and more."

Cunningham said talks to take over the project began roughly 10 months ago, and the decision to commence development was made after visiting the site. The property is primarily accessible by boat via the island's 400-foot pier.

"This entrance is what makes the property so luxurious," Cunningham said. "From the resort, guests can take a boat to a nearby reef for diving and kayaking."

Cunningham referred to the development as "phase one" of the resort's life cycle, suggesting Margaritaville plans on expanding the property's stable of rooms and residences based on demand.

When asked if Margaritaville anticipates any challenges as a result of picking up a once-abandoned project, Cunningham said the structures were well maintained in the years since the original project tanked. The executive doesn't foresee any weather-related difficulties in the future, as the hotel is protected by a nearby reef that helps shield the island from waves, storms and floods.

Logistics, though, are top of mind, he noted. "Because we're building in the Caribbean we have to import materials, so that does take longer," Cunningham said. "However, that is normal for the region. We're just eager to get going."

HotelManagement.net

So this is who is developing the property at the former Sueno del Mar. I have watched some improvements recently but didn't expect this. This should be interesting to watch develop.

Coleen

Beach bum, butterfly stalker, native plant enthusiast.
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Turning Belize into Margaritaville�Is this the Direction We Want to Go?

If something is good, more of it is better. Change and embracing change is always a good thing, right? Progress, progress, progress. Don't stand in the way of progress. Change isn't always good. What if we are changing what makes Belize special and desirable? What if there is change with no proper infrastructure or plan (or a plan that is just totally ignored)? If we open 1000 new hotel rooms without a capable water or sewage system, what do we have?

Perhaps we should be identifying and amplifying what makes Belize SO desirable rather than trying to change it into Margaritaville.

And by Margaritaville, I am not picking Jimmy Buffett or his music, I am highlighting a type of resort or restaurant that could be anywhere�nondescript, all inclusive, predictable "island inspired Margaritaville lifestyle". A place more about the brand than the actual location.

I think we need to be really careful. Really REALLY careful.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos in the San Pedro Scoop

One thing I have noted over the years has been the fact that there is a wide variety of people, from all walks of life that love Ambergris Caye. Although my first vacation choices do not include staying in hostels or all inclusive or adults only theme accommodations I know that we have visitors that have all requested these options. I was initially shocked but have now come to accept that we have guests that are truly happy to arrive on the island, be taken to their resort and then plunk themselves down by the pool for their entire stay and they don't even venture out for meals. Belize and her natural resources, diverse culture, compelling history complete with ruins and water and jungle adventures are definitely on many a traveler's bucket list - but all of our guests are all looking for a visit to Belize on their terms, with their comfort zone of life-style and budget in mind.

The Belize government and the Belize Tourism Board have been striving to engage the departments of health, environment, fire and accident prevention etc in order to make this destination a pleasant and safe experience. New developments are expected to follow guidelines and be capable of ensuring sufficient water systems and sewerage disposal etc.

I remember when there was a huge protest against the town center clock tower including the jumbotron scene. Anyone else remember that? The overwhelming majority of people in opposition were ex-pats saying that we shouldn't add this and destroy the natural beauty and become less desireable to visitors. But you know what? When I polled my friends, their kids, our mainstay work force and others from around the country they all thought it was great and the kids couldn't wait to see a jumbotron installed. For as many loudly vocal opponents that we protesting against the project, I met four times as many folks that were excited and pleased about the project - they just weren't amassing in great numbers to show their support.

I realize that many ex-pats come to our island seeking a simpler life dissimilar from where they hailed from. But our people, our businesses and our guests do crave more development, more progress and more amenities. We are having more and more children, we are living longer and the cost of living is on the rise. We must grow, build and improve and add more options to our fledgling tourism industry in order to keep up with the other destinations we are completing with so that we can get a market share that will ensure that our people can continue to thrive and progress in their careers and within the community.

Whether any of us like it or not we should embrace change and input our suggestions on how to steer progress but we should also consider other people's perspectives and needs - no only our own, when we take bold strides to protest change and development.

All of the franchise resorts avoided Belize in the past because it wasn't a viable financial market - and that has now changed. In the same way that the real estate franchises and cruise lines have infiltrated our country we are now seeing the chain hotels arrive. With this come some sweeping changes but also with this comes a new wave of tourists - the ones that want to experience adventurous destinations such as Belize but are perhaps a little wary. These guests feel more comfortable when they are in somewhat similar surroundings. They want to try the water but they want to start with dipping their toes in before taking the plunge.

You may not realize it but ask any Belizean what is one of the first things they couldn't wait to try the first time they went overseas? Certainly I know when I ask my friends the answers were Starbucks, McDonalds and Chic-fil-a. And they want to visit places that are very dissimilar from the natural beauty that we so love here in our own country. They want to see a big city, ride a subway train, or climb a tall mountain. And most of us will admit then when traveling abroad we will stop in to a business if we see a little Belize flag displayed. Why? Because we still seek the comfort of home away from home.

I have met many, many people whose first visit to Belize was via a cruise ship. They saw what they liked and decided to return because now Belize was a little less daunting to them. In the same manner we will see guests that start their visits by staying in a chain resort where the name and brand is familiar to them, and once they realize that Belize really is like the promise in the brochure they choose to return and sample a more Belizean experience staying in a Mom and Pop guest house and going out with fishermen and dive shops that they identified during their whirlwind cruise.

Belize still can offer people a full authentic, quiet life devoid of mass tourism - you only need to venture off the beaten path by a few miles to be transported into a whole different world. Even on Ambergris Caye there are areas that rarely see visitors. Granted, that is changing but if people have chosen to live on Ambergris Caye they have chosen to be here because it is a vibrant, successful and progressive destination full of natural beauty, wonderful people and so many options to choose from when it comes to jobs, careers, hotels, restaurants etc. If we do not continue to grow, evolve and adapt to meet our market expectations and population density then we will do the opposite.

I have been coming to Belize for some 18 years every time some one always ask me why? Each time is a new adventure. Another question I been asked is why I have not invested in real estate? I tell them I enjoy staying at same hotel each time. Starting in Nov 2018 I am starting to invest in the great non profits such as Saga and Hope Haven knowing I can make a difference on this great place. i am in Jan 2019 I am donating a large sum of money to Saga & Hope Haven.I challenge any one else to do same thing.

Thanks Bobcat Bill. I know you love San Pedro and all it's residents. Your donations are appreciated.

The pen is mightier than the mouth write to elected offices utility companies and tell them to change San Pedro for the better. Enough said

E
E
I think you summed it up very well Amanda. some people go places and never leave the resort, some want to get out and explore the places they vacation to and then you have the whole spectrum in between. I am more towards experiencing the local flavors and life. Belize has many charms and can fit everyone's taste. sooner or later tho if big business thinks its lucrative they will move in. I remember when Jimmy Carter went to Cancun back in 79. People were asking where the heck is Cancun and why would anyone want to go there. Now look at it. San Pedro has changed a lot in the 15 years we have been coming here. For residents it isn't as noticeable because it is slow and changed day by day but for someone who comes once every year or so its more noticeable. Most of the stuff has been for the better like the road in the north.

S
S
No disrespect to Mr. Buffet but Margaritaville Holdings' association with the former Sueno Del Mar property will prove to be a black mark on the Company's brand, not to mention the bad karma it will endure from the 150+ previous "owner / members" that were screwed by Belize Bank's corrupt sale to politically connected Belize insiders.

S
S
Sad day for the previous 150+ member / owners of Sueno Del Mar. Margaritaville holdings is making a mistake associating its brand to this project

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 353 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.