FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and other specials

The San Pedro Sun

Living Word Church holds 8th Annual Toy Drive
Living Word Church’s (LWC) held its 8th Annual Toy Drive for the children of San Pedro, and it was brighter than ever! On December 21, 2018, a total of 1,100 toys were distributed to as many children during a ceremony at the Honourable Louis Sylvestre Sporting Complex in San Pedro Town. Children also received a cupcake and soda during the Christmas Season. LWC, under the guidance of Pastor Ian Zaldivar, began coordinating the toy drive eight years ago with the simple notion to be able to “bring joy to all children” during the Christmas Season. Christmas is a time of giving, celebrating life, and joy, and that is what LWC aims to spread through this event. It brings families together and puts smiles on kids’ faces. Food baskets were also distributed to the less fortunate families of the island.

Ministry of National Security addresses New Year’s Day violence
Belize began 2019 with a wave of violence after a record number of killings were registered in a span of 24 hours on Tuesday, January 1st. The top brass in the Ministry of National Security, headed by Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Retired Colonel George Lovell and Acting Commissioner of Police (ACP) Chester Williams held a press conference on Wednesday, January 2nd to address the issue. They informed the general public that there is nothing to be concerned about and that the chaotic situation is under control.

Channel 5

Man Reported Missing
The family of Saul Mencias is asking for your help in locating him. The family says that Mencias has not been seen since December 26th, 2018. If You have any information that can assist in locating Mencias you are asked to contact 6002011, 2262282, or 6045398.

US State Department issues Level 2 Travel Advisory for Americans Visiting Belize
The advisory is due to crime.

Three Persons Charged for Ammunition Offences
31-year-old Ide Ramirez, 19-year-old Esequiel Ku, and 20-year-old Angel Cu were arrested and charged for Kept Ammunition without a Gun License. On Friday morning Police conducted a search at a residence on Savannah Mangal Street, Orange Walk Town, where they discovered seven .22mm live rounds of ammunition. The aforementioned persons were present at the residence at the time of the search and as a result, are being held accountable.

Robber Points Gun At Mother and Daughter During Robbery in Belize City
Fifty-two-year-old businessman Chingwu Tan and his family were robbed at gunpoint last night. Tan told police that he was at his business establishment on East Canal in Belize City when two men barged in and held him and his family up. One of the men placed a knife on Tan's neck while the other took out a .38 revolver and pointed it at Tan's wife and daughter. The thieves made away with Tan's license 9mm pistol which contained 10 live rounds and an undisclosed amount of money. Police are investigating.

Misc Belizean Sources

mzz

Dr D's Clinic offers Annual Health Care Package
In collaboration with Caye Caulker's Health Fair, Dr D's Clinic is once again happy and excited to join in hand with the village council to help enhance and promote good health in our community. This is why we will be offering an Annual Health Care Package on January 8th at Dr. D's Clinic for ONLY $200! This offer is a great deal, a great way to start the year right. Many took advantage of this last year but many also said that they wished they knew of the offer, so please share the word!

Hermit Crabs living in trash
A plastic castle is not a home. With removal of shells from beaches and the increase of marine litter, even in places like the Turneffe atoll, terrestrial hermit crabs can’t find suitable shells and resort to human trash. This single use plastic that says “twist open” does not provide shade from the heat or protection from predators. This hermit crab moves from its protected, curled position and assesses how to climb over a rubber slipper, another man made product. It then disappears into a minefield of litter where it will find another piece of trash to convert into its next mobile home. Trash is only one of the dangers facing the ecosystem.

Blues Meets Girl Coming to Bluffs
Steev Inglish and Kasimira Vogel will be performing their Blues Meets Girl at The Bluffs next Saturday, January 12th, at the Bluffs. If you haven't seen them perform as a duo, here's the perfect chance. They've played at the Bluffs before, and at the Soul Project. "Well folks after a busy holiday season and some time off,here we go again. 'Blues Meets Girl' will be performing songs from the new self titled release at The Bluffs on Saturday 12th January from 6 till 9pm. Steev Inglish and Kasimira Vogel. This will be the only show in Sweet Home Cayo, so come and tear it up with us.

Benque Rotaract Distributes Christmas Care Packages
The Benque Rotaractors made and distributed Christmas care packages to the 20 elderly individuals. Thanks, Rotaract! "Christmas represents the season of selfless giving; and to us at Rotaract Club of Benque Viejo it represented an opportunity to share with our community members! This year we focused on our elderly by delivering "Christmas care packages" to 20 elders between San Jose Succotz Village and Benque Viejo Del Carmen. Each basket contained hygeneic, personal and self care items along with a handmade and customized Christmas ornament. Tis' the season of love, joy and inspiration! "

BELIZE FISHING REPORT: DECEMBER 23, 2018 THROUGH DECEMBER 30, 2018
Windy weather reduced the amount of available open water. Fishing in the lee of the mangroves produced many tarpon and snook. Fishing the west side of Ambergris Caye and smaller cayes produced bones and permit and offered wade fishing opportunities. Happy New Year to one and all!! Come to fish Belize with us in 2019!

The Reporter

CHINESE FAMILY ROBBED AT GUNPOINT
Two men robbed a Chinese family in Belize City last night. Police say that shortly before 10 p.m. the duo entered into a business located at #34 East Canal and one of them put a knife to the throat of the proprietor, 52-year-old Chingwu Tan.

CODE RED AT BELMOPAN BLOOD BANK
The Blood Bank in Belmopan is in need of blood donors so that it can continue its work of saving lives. Western Health Regional Manager for the Ministry of Health, Javier Zuniga, explained today that the blood bank has about a week’s worth of supply left; however, that supply could easily diminish if there is a spike in emergency cases.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Belize a Human Trafficking Nightmare!
as continuously been ranked as Tier 3 for the past 3 terms under the current political scenery with limited to no avail of being alleviated to a Tier 1 position by US counterparts responsible for the global response to Human Trafficking. With limited information on the situation in Belize […]

Politicians and gangs in Belize – a questionable alliance
By Imani Fairweather: Political parties are organizations and any such entity have codes of conduct and ways of operating which becomes norms, sometimes unacceptable practices which they can’t or don’t want to readily see. One questionable practice in several Caribbean countries has been the incorporation of known criminal and gang elements in the campaigning machinery of political parties. . […]

Garry Yearwood jailed after confrontation with ex
Belize City resident Garry Yearwood was jailed yesterday after a confrontation with his ex. According to a report from 7 News, Yearwood’s ex, Royann Riverol was driving around 8 pm on January 1, 2019, when she saw Yearwood on the opposite side of the road with a woman inside his vehicle. […]

Missing teen from Santa Familia Village returns home
Fourteen-year-old Sheranie Cabb of Santa Familia Village in the Cayo District was reported missing since January 1, 2019. Since then, her family and authorities were seeking assistance from the public in locating her. Today, police informed that Cabb has returned home. […]

Windell Humes charged for burglarizing tourist’s room in Caye Caulker
Caye Caulker resident Windell Humes was yesterday charged for burglary. Humes reportedly broke into the room of a tourist and began touching her. The woman was awakened and demanded that Humes leave the room. […]

Taprick the Sheriff accused of domestic violence
Punta artist, Troy Busano also known as “Taprick the Sheriff”, has been accused of some very troubling activity. The mother of his child posted to Facebook yesterday screenshots of an alleged conversation between the two of them. […]

Blogs

Paint or Be Painted: Visit Ambergris Caye in March for Totally Unique Carnival!
Mardi Gras or Carnival, the holiday is celebrated around the world. The festivus of eating, drinking and naughtiness before the beginning of Lent. Different places do different things…we all know about the celebration in New Orleans or in Rio (Brazil attracts 70% of its tourists during this week alone!) but in San Pedro, it’s been going on for decades and it is totally unique. I mean CRAZY different. I’ve said before that Belize is not just any beach destination. BELIZE IS SO SPECIAL for these 9 Reasons to Start With… Carnaval is at the top of this list. This is a festival that’s been held for decades – before San Pedro had tourists. Get covered in paint with local kids, dance in the park, drink Belikin beers on a dock and then take a dip in ocean. Everyone is involved. Even our traffic guys.

2019 Bloomed in Style
This year, I did not want to do town and decided quiet luxury was how I would ring in 2019. That meant I was heading to The3SIXTY LoungeBar at Playa De Sala. I knew it the instant I saw the bookface party invite that was where I was going to take myself and whoever felt like joining me. I opted to rent a cart from Carts Belize and easily got my reservation with tacogirl discount done via facebook messenger. Thankfully so as I almost had no wheels due to busy season. Also pitched the idea to a few friends to see if anyone wanted to catch a ride south, I had 3 spots open. In the end, my head count was only one, my friend and temp roommate Dennis. The other two friends that said they would join us, Jon and Eddie, had their own wheels and met us there for the cake.

Island Vibes and Good Times: The Best Things to do in San Pedro, Belize
There are so many great things to do in San Pedro, Belize that you could spend a whole week here without taking a day trip anywhere. Most hotels will try to sell you on excursions and trips, but don’t be fooled — Ambergris Caye’s capital city always has something going on. Here are my recommendations for top experiences in San Pedro you absolutely cannot miss.

International Sourcesizz

The Caribbean Court of Justice revisited
I suspect that the primary reason the people of Grenada and Antigua & Barbuda voted on 6th November 2018 not to accept the Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ) as their highest national Court of Appeal is because, fundamentally, most of our people do not really know much about the Caribbean Court of Justice! And the truth is that we Caribbean people do not really know very much about the CCJ simply because the institutions and officials that should have been consistently informing and educating us about it and our other significant regional institutions over the years have not done enough. It is important that we fully grasp the fact that the CCJ is our organization! The Caribbean Court of Justice was established by the 15 member nations of our Caribbean Community (CARICOM) – inclusive of the said Grenada and Antigua & Barbuda – and is therefore an “institution” of CARICOM.

8 holiday swaps: beautiful alternatives that rival the mainstream destinations
Harper's Bazaar put Belize in their 2019 "swap" list. 8 holiday swaps: beautiful alternatives that rival the mainstream destinations. Where to go once you've done the popular tourist spots. Swap Costa Rica for Belize: Costa Rica is known for its outdoor adventure, beautiful beaches and colourful wildlife, but without the crowds then Belize is a good alternative. This pint-sized country with a population of only 380,000 boasts great swathes of rainforest, exotic wildlife and the world’s second largest barrier reef. Belize is also known as the epicentre of the ancient Maya world, and Mayan Cities including Xunantunich are located in the jungle areas which can be reached by a horseback ride through private farms and along the Mopan River. Whether you're a culture vulture or desperate to spot animals in the wild, Belize offers an idyllic utopia from to truly disconnect. Those seeking luxury accommodation should turn to Francis Ford Coppola's Turtle Inn, which fuses rustic Belizean decor with understated glamour.

Videos

• Lessons on seed selection in Belize, 5min. Lessons on seed selection at Ya'axche Conservation Trust in Belize

• Scuba Diving in Placencia, Belize, 12min. I joined ReefCI conservation program for a week during Christmas and it was absolutely a marvelous experience. The little island has my heart.

• Snorkeling in Amergris Caye, Belize, 5min.

• Hol Chan, Christ of the Abyss Belize, Ambergris Caye, Banyan Bay, San Pedro, 3.5min.

• Local Dive 2 - Belize (Aug 31), 8.5min. Paradise Canyon.

• Coconut Oil in Belize, 3min. Follow us around as we show you the process of one of the richest products available in Belize, Coconut Oil! This oil has many beneficial uses as shown.

• Faith FM Radio Belize 20th Anniversary, 20min.