FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and other specials

The San Pedro Sun

Guest Editorial: Happy New Year?
by Lisa Shoman. My first post of 2019 was to have been one of hope for you, your family and our Jewel, that we live happy, safe, prosperous lives. I am trying to cling to that hope and still wish that it be so. Happy New Year. But 2019 was barely 24 hours old when in a blaze of violence 5 Belizeans are murdered, and one more is brutally injured, and in a critical condition. And ironically, the murders are almost a perfect, representative snapshot of the violence that has soaked our nation in blood in the last two decades. The first murder of 2019 was apparently a resident of Lucky Strike Village found in his home with multiple stab and chop wounds all over his body. Another resident is being questioned.

Doctor Love: Chill Out
Dear Doctor Love, I share an apartment with a friend and we have had many arguments about me leaving the air conditioner on at night. I forget to turn it down so it will not come on as much and she gets really upset at me. She has so many rules, like not leaving my dishes in the sink or my clothes in the living room and not bringing the guys from work over without telling her first. If I had wanted to have my mother around, I would have stayed home. I woke up this morning and she had left a note asking me to find another place by the end of January. She said our electricity bill was really high and she couldn’t afford to pay for me to stay in a refrigerated room any more.

Misc Belizean Sources

mzz

South Ambergris Caye Neighbourhood Watch
Please join us this Wednesday, January 9, 2019 for our next General Meeting. Happy New Year to All! Bring a neighbor or a friend!

CHILI COOK OFF!
You can't miss this Foodie Event!! New Millennium Restaurant in Consejo Village - 8th Annual Chili Cook Off - Sunday, January 13th from 1:00 PM. Cost is $10.00 Belize which allows you to sample all the chili you want. Chili providers have free admission. Fundraising will be held by having the 50/50 draw and Silent Raffle. Sr. Jorge will be on hand to sell beer and other beverages. Chili providers should bring their Chili to the Millennium at 12:30. Each participant will receive a number for voting. Voting will end at 2:30. Winners will be announced at 3:00. Please make sure to bring a spoon or ladle with your chili.

Construction of a three-story building on Albert street
The Belize City House of Culture and Downtown Rejuvenation Project's construction of a three-story building on Albert street is now on its second of three floors. When completed, the building will be occupied by the Ministry of Human Development on the second floor, training rooms on the third, and will continue the work of the Women's Department on the first. It is expected to be completed by mid to late 2019.

BELIZE LEGEND : Nojoch Kaan
In some Northern Maya communities of Belize there is the legend of the Nojoch Kaan (Giant Snake). According to some stories people have seen a enormous Snake in swamps especially Cave swamps,at rivers especially the Noh Ucum(Rěo Hondo) or other kind of water bodies. Some think it is a kind of spirit but it's body is as big as the trunk of a tree. Addition to this some Tatitos say that when this snakes gets too big they grow wings and fly far away to hide. It may also be known as Tzukan.

Channel 5

Female Star Cyclist Injured
The cyclist is okay. She is receiving medical attention for a broken finger. Kaya Cattouse, known Belizean cyclist, was injured this morning while participating in a training session along with other cyclists. Cattouse was injured while trying to avoid a pile-up. She was quickly taken to the KHMH for treatment.

The Reporter

KARA CATTOUSE INJURED
The Reporter has confirmed that renowned Belizean cyclist Kaya Cattouse is receiving medical treatment at the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital following an accident this morning. Kattouse was reportedly participating in a practice ride where there was a pile up in front of her. She got injured while trying to avoid the pileup. Cattouse is currently at the accident and emergency section of the hospital.

THREE ARRESTED FOR UNLICENSED AMMUNITION
Police have arrested and charged three people in the Orange Walk district after they discovered unlicensed ammunition during an early morning search. Police say they searched a home on Savannah Mangal Street, Orange Walk Town around 5 a.m. and found seven live .22 rounds in a glass container in one of the rooms.Present at the time of the search were, Ide Elizabeth Ramirez, 31, Esequiel Nataniel Ku, 19, and Luis Angel Cu, 20.

VANISHED
As I sat on my couch watching TV on a blessed Christmas morning surrounded by family; the smell of a fabulous McKesey ham in the air as Christmas dinner is being prepared, I couldn’t help but think of those Belizean families who had to spend their Christmas without their loved ones. Especially those families whose loved ones have “vanished.”

COPS CAUGHT ON CAMERA SUSPENDED
Two rogue cops, PC No. 1919 Samir Medina and PC No. 2287 Tyrell Rowley, attached to the Quick Response Team (QRT) of the San Pedro Police Department, have been placed on seven days suspension pending the outcome of both criminal and internal Police investigations that have been launched into the allegedly excessive use of force they displayed against three civilians.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Zack Reich and Daron Solis alive and well after road traffic accident
Last night we reported on a road traffic accident in the Belize district.Information to BBN is that Zach Reich and Daron Solis were traveling in a vehicle , which lost control between Burrel Boom and Los Lagos.

Man shot while playing basketball
A man was reportedly shot in Belize City this morning. He has been identified as Malik Green, 18. Information to BBN is that the Georgeville villager was near Hunter’s Lane when he was shot in the leg.

Chinese businessman robbed at gunpoint in Belize City
Police are investigating an armed robbery in Belize City. Around 9:40 on Friday night, Chingwu Tan,52, a businessman of East Canal, Belize City was at his business place when two men entered. One of the men put a knife to Tan’s neck and the other culprit pointed a .38 gun at Tan’s wife and daughter.

3 Orange Walk residents arrested and charged for ammo without license
Police have arrested and charged three Orange Walk residents for ‘kept ammunition without a gun license’. On Friday, police searched a home on Savannah Mangal Street in Orange Walk and found (7) .22mm live rounds of ammunition in a glass container.

Chan Pine Ridge residents concerned about pollution near BSI
Some concerned residents of Chan Pine Ridge in Orange Walk contacted us today to share their frustrations with the pollution reportedly being caused by the Belize Sugar Industries(BSI)/ASR Group in Orange Walk District. According to the residents, the black ashes emanating from the factory is a health hazard and some villagers have gotten ill as a result.

Blogs

Saturday Afternoon Photos on North Ambergris Caye
Frannie and I went for a long walk. About 7 miles north to about 8 miles north. The walking in that stretch pretty easy with the tide out and the sargasso relatively minimal (thought that changed today!) Frannie is ALWAYS up for a walk. She also looks SUPER CUTE on the new stickers we had printed recently for the camp. Art by Slackertide. And I forgot! There is something monumental going on…the road north on Ambergris Caye is being graded. And smoothed. After the serious bumps and holes that have only worsened in the last few months, it will come as a SWEET relief.

International Sourcesizz

ENVIRONMENTAL NGO CONTINUES TO PURCHASE LAND WITH ENDANGERED WILDLIFE
TiME (This is My Earth) managed, for a third year in a row, to raise enough money in order to purchase land containing endangered wildlife and declare it as a nature reserve, and this time - a marine area containing corals with several endangered species. The area bought is off the coasts of Belize, and home to some endangered species such as the Hawksbill sea turtle, the Leatherback sea turtle, the Atlantic goliath grouper, and many more sea animals and plants all marked as endangered. This year the organization will buy 20 acres of corals at the Turneffe Atoll, off the coasts of Belize. The area does not remain under the control of TiME, but is transferred to Turneffe Atoll Trust. The area purchased is in a strategic position, denying the ability to develop the area for tourism, creating a greater area that will be preserved.

Videos

• Cultural and Creative Industries Innovation Fund, 5min. The Cultural and Creative Industries Innovation Fund (CIIF) provides financial support and stability for the Region’s cultural and creative industries. Watch this video to learn more about CIIF.

• Belize Night Dive In Ambergris Caye, 5min. A compilation of 3 Ambergris Caye Belize Night Dives.

• Belize Aggressor III Dec 28 2018 to Jan 5 2019, 17min. Scuba diving in Belize

• Belize 1990, 6min. Back in 1990 Elayne and I traveled to Belize to swim in the bright clear water and hike through the tropical jungle.

• Belize Islands Diving December 2018 - 18 dive compilation, 6min. Diving with Black Bird Caye Resort - 18 dives Compiliation - Lion fish hunting (invasive specie) - Dec 22nd 2018 to January 2nd 2019.

• Howling Black Howler monkeys in Belize near Xunantunich Maya ruins, 2min. One of the largest monkeys in the Americas.

• Sperm Whales between Turneffe Atoll Marine Reserve and Lighthouse Reef Atoll, 2min.