Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Police use excess force in San Pedro [Re: Marty] #534201
01/08/19 07:13 AM
01/08/19 07:13 AM
Mine Hill NJ
dabunk Offline
dabunk  Offline
Sadly they know if they tried to go to court their bodies would never be found!!

Re: Police use excess force in San Pedro [Re: Marty] #534221
01/09/19 06:03 AM
01/09/19 06:03 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Online happy OP

Marty  Online Happy OP

Constables Rowley and Medina WILL Face Criminal Charges

The San Pedro police brutality case has taken a completely different turn, a full 360. Now the two police officers will be charged criminally. They are PC Tyrell Rowley and PC Samir Medina. Disciplinary action has already been taken against the officers. As we have reported, on New Years night, Jamir Leal and his two brothers were at Playa Bar and Grill when something triggered Leal to assault his ex-girlfriend. He choked her. His brothers along with others got involved to try to get Leal to stop. But when PC Rowley and PC Medina arrived, things quickly escalated where Rowley clubbed Leal and gave him a massive blow to the head even though Leal was defenseless on the ground. Today Commissioner of Police Chester Williams held a press conference to discuss the change of course in this case and the charges that will be brought against the officers.

Chester Williams, Commissioner of Police
"I personally reached out to the mothers of the three gentlemen yesterday and I explained to her my position and asked if she would be willing to come to Belmopan to see me so I could speak with her and her three sons and seek their cooperation in this matters. The mother was more than willing to agree to come to Belmopan and so we arranged for their transportation to Belmopan and they came in this morning and I spoke to the three gentlemen concerned and assured them that they need not fear any retribution from the police should they decide to cooperate with us in this investigation."

"And with that they were more than willing to cooperate. They have all given their detailed statements to the police and now I am pleased to say we have sufficient evidence now and we now have the two complainants and we will now be proceeding criminally against the two mentioned police officers."

"I think the charge will be wounding and harm."

Reporter
"Any timeline as to when they will be brought in, arrested and arraigned."

"Well the statements were just completed and so I will now forward the statement to crime investigations branch in Belize City because I will have them deal with the criminal aspect of it and professionals standards branch will continue to deal with the internal aspect of it so I will be forwarding the statements to Mr. Cowo in Belize City with directives that he appoints an investigator to carry through with the criminal charges so we are anticipating that by Friday, he will be arraigned."

"If they are convicted criminally, the law do provide that the commissioner of police can dismiss you once you have been convicted of a criminal offense. The nature of the conduct they are being charged with internally that is an act to the prejudice of good order and discipline. It is an egregious breech of discipline. If convicted in the tribunal, that too can warrant a dismissal, it is very serious charges internally."

Now why has Williams taken such a keen interest in this case? Well, Williams admits that since taking up the post as deputy commissioner, this is the first time he has intervened in a matter such as this one but he says after seeing the video of the cruel beat down, he could not just sit back and do nothing.

"Well I think the video speaks for itself, when I looked at the video, I personally got cold seed. It is disgusting and we can't countenance behavior like that. I think as an organization we should do our best to ensure that the right thing is done and I decided to take that additional effort and reach out to the victims to see if we can get that support from them."

"I also want to assure the three gentlemen and any other person aggrieved by police officers that once it is that you decide to work with us to address the misconduct of our officers that we will do our best to ensure that no police officer targets you as a result of your cooperation."

And the Leal family will take Williams' word on it. We also spoke to Jamir Leal who told us he was afraid to press charges but Williams convinced him otherwise.

Jamir Leal, Police Brutality Victim
"First I was worried about our safety, knowing that they would still be out there and just get one week suspension and then I was worried about tour safety, I didn't want anything to happen to me but how Mr. Williams explained to us that they won't do us anything so we decided to press the charges against the officers who injured me. We can't leave it like that."

Courtney Weatherburne, reporter
"And in this case you believe that justice will be served?"

"Yes has to, I am a human, I wasn't supposed to be treated like that."

Reporter
"You have absolute confidence in the department and in Mr. Williams who reached out to you?"

"Yes I do."

The Leal family will NOT be suing the police department.

Channel 7

Re: Police use excess force in San Pedro [Re: Marty] #534233
01/09/19 10:37 AM
01/09/19 10:37 AM
San Pedro Town, Ambergris Caye...
Amanda Syme Offline

Amanda Syme  Offline
I would like to hope that we would see the other crimes that were involved in this event to be addressed. Why was Mr Leal choking his girlfriend? Should she be pressing charges against him? Is there any truth to the statements made that one of the men and the girlfriend are under-age and shouldn't be served alcohol in the first place? This is just a mess all around but I am glad that the Police Commissioner has taken a personal interest in this case and I hope that we will see him making changes in the police department. We all deserve to be protected by our police department and the police must uphold the law and be able to diffuse such situations in a swift and civil manner. The police quite obviously were feeling threatened by the crowd during this incident which led to some unfortunate escalation of events. But if the police had the back up, a vehicle and additional support they may have been able to nab the men, cuff them and have them in a truck and down to the station quickly. There is fault on all sides here and we must all do what we can to ensure that we live in a lawful society. I hope that justice is served - on all levels. There doesn't seem to be any innocent parties in this matter just a whole lot of victims!

Re: Police use excess force in San Pedro [Re: Marty] #534249
01/10/19 06:05 AM
01/10/19 06:05 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Online happy OP

Marty  Online Happy OP

San Pedro Cops’ Accounts Of The Jamir Leal Beatdown

The Leal family is now focusing on putting that ugly San Pedro beat down behind them. As we have reported, the two officers PC Tyrell Rowley and PC Samir Medina will be charged criminally. Now what do these officers have to say for themselves? Well, the shocking video and Leal's account of the event has taken over the spotlight but the officers have their own version. 7News has a copy of both Medina and Rowley's official statements.

In it, Rowley says that they were called out to respond to a fight at Playa Bar and Grill. When they got there, they saw about 5 men engaged in a fight. Rowley says that is when he intervened and Jamir Leal punched him in the face. Leal continued throwing punches at him hitting him again in the chest. Rowley's statement then reads "I informed the male person that he had committed an offense of Assaulting a police officer and attempted to detain the male person, however, he began to resist and he continued throwing kicks and punches hitting me over my body. A second male person later identified as Mario Leal who was wearing a black and grey long sleeve shirt also approached me and began throwing punches at me however none caught me. The statement continues by saying "This second person (Mario Leal) then grabbed me on the left arm pulling me into the crowd".

Rowley said the crowd approached them in an aggressive manner. But that is not all. The statement continues "I then felt as if though someone was trying to remove my holstered firearm which was on the right side of my waist to which I immediately became in fear for my life and I took actions to remove myself from between the raging crowd. PC Medina and I then managed to remove the 2 male persons that had assaulted me and one of the other male persons who was engaged in the fight. Force was used to detain and subdue all 3 male persons."

Obviously Rowley didn't go into too much detail to describe how much force was used - but the video says it all. We will keep following this case to see what the tribunal will decide.

Channel 7

Re: Police use excess force in San Pedro [Re: Marty] #534253
01/10/19 08:05 AM
01/10/19 08:05 AM
San Pedro, Belize
Judyann H. Offline
Judyann H.  Offline
There is something to be learned from both accounts in this sad story...... As a reader I'm inclined to believe that if the men who are claiming abuse had not gone to that pub and grabbed a young lady by the neck and then began to beat her male date; none of this would have happened. The officers account sounds plausible; and lets be reminded the video does not include the entire series of events that led to the arrest.

My friends call me Judyann

www.blackorchidrestaurant.com
Re: Police use excess force in San Pedro [Re: Marty] #534255
01/10/19 09:00 AM
01/10/19 09:00 AM
Mine Hill NJ
dabunk Offline
dabunk  Offline
I agree in part no one bothered to film the whole episode just what they wanted to see, but once the man was down and subdued there was no call for the continued beatings. And why was not the man who kicked the guy while he was down arrested for assault??

Re: Police use excess force in San Pedro [Re: Marty] #534269
01/11/19 06:18 AM
01/11/19 06:18 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Online happy OP

Marty  Online Happy OP

Charges Pending for All Parties Involved in Bar Brawl and Beat Down in San Pedro

The Crimes Investigation Branch in Belize City will proceed with a criminal investigation against two of their own. Police confirmed on Tuesday that constables Tyrell Rowley and Samir Medina are expected to be charged with wounding and harm following the beat down of a San Pedrano resident on New Year’s Day. But it appears that charges may also be levied on other parties involved in the brawl that happened prior to the police brutality, which was captured on amateur video. According to a document leaked to News Five, PCs Medina and Rowley in their duty reports to the Professional Standards Branch say they responded to the scene of a brawl at Playa Bar and Grill in San Pedro. There, they found five persons involved in a fight and intervened to separate the parties. During the process, Rowley was assaulted by twenty-year-old Jamir Leal, who did not desist from kicking and punching at him. While the statements give the officers account of what occurred, the Leal family have also made a report. So who will be charged and when? That’s what ASP Alejandro Cowo was asked during this morning’s police press brief.

ASP Alejandro Cowo, O.C., C.I.B., Belize City

“Personnel from Belize City are travelling to San Pedro to gather all the necessary evidence and then compile a file and then we will decide who all will be charged because as you recall, it is one incident that led to another incident. So it is something that we have to gather all the evidence and from there, we will decide who all will be charged with regards to that.”

Duane Moody

“From what we are understanding charges are to be levied on the Leal siblings for having assaulted the business owner, a young lady as well as one of the officers. Can you say whether your department has received these statements from the police officers in question and whether charges will be levied on the two young men?”

ASP Alejandro Cowo

“I know that the charges that will be levied depends on what the doctor certified the medico form to be. We are in possession of those medico forms already. But as I tell you, it is one incident that led to another and that’s the reason why we are conducting an investigation and we need to go back to the island to get all the necessary evidence so that as I mentioned before who will be charged will be charged.”

Reporter

“But the investigation is being conducted on both maters—the brawl at the bar and the beat down?”

ASP Alejandro Cowo

“Yes.”

Channel 5

Re: Police use excess force in San Pedro [Re: Marty] #534276
01/11/19 07:45 AM
01/11/19 07:45 AM
San Pedro, Belize
Judyann H. Offline
Judyann H.  Offline
You got it dabunk..... The bystander that kicked an unconscious detainee in the head should account for his actions as well. From the most recent update above it appears they are investigating everyone involved and other charges might be presented. We'll keep following this, however it would make sense that charges to the initiating party are brought up.... We need to teach & learn that it is not proper behavior to attack another human being under any circumstance.

My friends call me Judyann

www.blackorchidrestaurant.com
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
Paradise Guy Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
January
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Mini Chat
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Marty, 1 invisible), 290 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics68,337
Posts473,188
Members19,334
Most Online1,262
Jun 10th, 2007

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.