FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and other specials

The San Pedro Sun

Belizean Renee Woods promoted to oversee American’s ticket sales centers in Florida, Latin America and the Caribbean
American Airlines today announced Renee Woods as its new Manager for the airline’s Ticket Sales Centers (TSC) throughout Florida, Latin America and the Caribbean. In this role she will oversee revenue generation and performance for American’s 42 Ticket Sales Centers in the region. Woods began her career at American in 1990 in her native Belize City (BZE) as a Gate Agent and held a number of roles of increasing responsibility at BZE. In 2012 she moved to Miami for an opportunity in the Business Planning department and most recently served as Senior Analyst for Sales Planning.

Wolfe’s Woofer: Show Business
I was sipping my morning coffee at a deck table of the Holiday Hotel when someone walked up to my table and said, “Hi, Dennis. Remember me?” I searched my memory and came up with, “Johnny Dent? Oh, my! I haven’t seen you in fifteen years. Are you still working with the circus?” “Yes,” he said, “but the circuses all closed in the U.S. I’m working out of Munich, Germany, for an outfit called Zirkus Krone. I’m back in Belize for a family reunion.” “Oh, that’s right,” I said. “You’re married to one of the Garcia sisters. Join me for a cup of coffee.”

What’s New: Brooklyn Brothers Bagel Shop at the new Maya Island Air terminal
Brooklyn Brothers Bagel Shop has a new location in downtown San Pedro, on the second floor of Maya Island Air’s recently inaugurated terminal. The popular bagel shop has expanded to offer a fully stocked liquor and coffee bar, complete with a flat-screen TV to watch your favorite shows. It continues to offer not only the best in bagel sandwiches but also baked goods, shrimp ceviche and weekend specials like lasagna. Not only do they welcome travelers awaiting flights but are thrilled to serve the general public Monday through Sunday from 6:30AM to 6PM.

Doctor Love: Not Free
Dear Doctor Love, I’m sixteen years old and I used to babysit my younger brothers and sister without any pay. They are old enough to stay alone now but my mother’s two younger sisters have four young children. My mom always tells them that I’ll baby sit while they go shopping or socializing for the evening. She doesn’t ask me if I have something planned and they don’t want to pay me. I do babysit for other parents and sometimes I have to give up money to look after my cousins. I would like my mother to ask me first and I would like to be paid. My mother says family doesn’t pay for babysitting. She reads your column every Sunday and she will listen to you because you are fair.

Ambergris Today

Josue Villatoro Amador Charged For Murder Of Corporal Alfonso Guy
The Belize Police Department today announced the arrest and murder charges laid upon Josue Danilo Villatoro Amador 25-year-old, Honduran Waiter of San Pedro Town Belize District in the shooting incident that caused the death of San Pedro Police Officer, Corporal Alfonso Guy. Based on official police reports, 51-year-old Corporal Alfonso Guy was fatally shot with his police-issued weapon sometime after midnight on Friday, January 11, inside his apartment. The police visited the San Pedro Poly Clinic where they observed, Alfonso Guy undergoing medical treatment for one apparent gunshot wound to his abdomen. Alfonso Guy was transported to the KHMH where he later succumbed to his injuries.

Misc Belizean Sources

mzz

By Bobby Lopez, Belize Peace Movement. Five foreign ministers signed a declaration at the prime minister’s press conference Wednesday morning, January 9, 2019. So what? The purpose of this poppy-show event was another desperate attempt to influence Belizeans to vote yes to the ICJ. With only 92 days left to referendum date on April 10, and with more Belizeans joining the No vote, Wednesday’s soap opera is the latest in the recent string of desperate attempts by government after ten years of failure to conduct a proper and impartial public education efforts on the Guatemalan issue. The Belize Peace Movement (BPM) recalls the heads of the army, police and coast guard were paraded to all media outlets singing the government’s propaganda. It fooled no one.

2019 Graffiti Fest
Here is the finishing touch of the 2019 Graffiti Fest that was held on January 12, 2019. It was held in front of the Corozal House of Culture. Mexican and Belizean's Grafitti Came to showcase their talented Art in Corozal. Many Jewelry, Art paints, food, Auction sale, Tattoo fest, Diabetes booth, Corozal Sailing Club, and many other booths where out promoting their information booth.

Corozal Women’s Forum Membership Drive
Corozal Women’s Forum will hold its annual membership drive and birthday meeting at the Red Cross Building in Corozal, Thursday, January 17th at 10am. All women are invited to come

Corozal Bay in Belize
Learn about and visualize the protected area of Corozal Bay

First canoe race of the New Year...Boom to Manatee Lookout
Congrats to Team NICH on the win!!!

KUKULKAN: THE MESOAMERICAN MESSIAH,BOOKS OF CHILAM BALAM AND THE PROPHECIES OF THE RETURN OF KUKULKAN
K'uk'ulkan was born in May 18,895 Under the name of Ce Acatl Topiltzin in MesoAmerica. His birth was full of tradegy because his parents where murder but also full miracle as he survive various attempts of murder whike he was a baby. He assumed lordship over the Toltecs and migrated his people to Tollan. Reigning in peace and prosperity he contributed much to the lifestyle of the Toltecs with basic ideas such as civilization. He was generally considered a god upon earth by his followers with similar powers to those of his namesake. Kukulkan dispelled the traditions of the past and ended all human sacrifice during his reign. Kukulkan reach Mayab or Maya which was the name of Yucatan peninsula before the conquest. Kukulkan wisdom impress the lords and they respected him. Kukulkan convince the lords to build a new city and he named it Mayapan, meaning "Standard of the Maya people". According to the Books of Chilam Balam (The holy books of the Yucatec Maya) when the city of Mayapan was build the people became known as Maya. The word Mayab or Maya can mean "Few ,Not many" or also "The choosen people."

Belize Ma'alob K'iin
Due to many factors today many Maya in northern and western Belize speak mostly spanish(mostly elders are the Maya speakers) but even speaking Spanish they use alot of Yucatec Maya words creating a Mayanized Spanish(Yucatec Spanish). The " X" sounds as "Sh" in Maya . Nearly a 100 words we used every day .

The Reporter

I LOVE THE TAPIR!
By: Mike Rudon Jr. My column this week, the first for 2019, has absolutely nothing to do with a tapir. But since everybody and their granny now suddenly loves the tapir and would lay down their lives for that wonderful creature, I wanted to start the year off on a good foot. So if anybody asks, let them know that Mike Rudon loves the damned tapir. That tapir is the last thing I think about at night, and the first thing I think about in the morning. Check my profile pic on Facebook – it’s a tapir.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Honduran man charged for murder of police man
Police have charged one man in connection with the shooting death of police officer, Alfonso Guy. The accused is Honduran waiter, Josue Danilo Villatoro Amador, 25.

Police issue official report on minor shot yesterday
According to police reports, yesterday at around 4 p.m. investigators visited the Western Regional Hospital. There, they observed a person with a single gunshot wound behind the head. He was identified as, Jamil Reyes, 15.

Blogs

Muffins And More at Uber-Cute Sol Cafe & More
I’ve been dreaming of breakfast muffins on Ambergris Caye. They are not typical Belizean fare – in fact, they are SO American that in the UK, they are referred to as “American muffins” at Starbucks. And man…I love them. But now I can take my pretend-business-planning hat off (I spent about 6 months on the previous faux-enterprise, “Potlickers Potstickers” – dumplings from around the world) – because a super cute shop has opened just a few miles from me. On my drive home every single day. The Sol Cafe. Located JUST where the paved road ends – across the street from Belizean Shores and Coco Beach Resort – in a small “food court” that has been going up over the last few months. There are two small eateries – one is the Tipsy Lobster, I must try that one. But just two buildings up is SOL CAFE. And I’ve watched them decorate it with SUCH care over the last few months. It’s absolutely darling. I see Instagram photos galore on this seating deck.

International Sourcesizz

Ghana Offers African-Americans & Caribbean people the Right of Return & the Right of Abode in 2019
The concept of right of abode under Immigration Law is that person having the right of abode” shall be free to live and to come and go into and from the country without let or hindrance” Section 17(1) of the Immigration Act 2000, Act 573 provides that subject to this section the Minister may on an application and with the approval of the president grant the status of right of abode to any of the following persons

Belize signs and Monaco ratifies BEPS mulitlateral tax treaty
The OECD on January 11 announced that Belize has signed the Multilateral Convention to Implement Tax Treaty Related Measures to Prevent Base Erosion and Profit Shifting (MIL) becoming the 86th jurisdiction to sign. Also, Monaco on January 10 deposited its instrument of ratification for the MLI with the OECD, becoming the 18th jurisdiction to do so. The following countries have now deposited instruments of ratification for the MLI: Australia, Austria, France, Isle of Man, Isreal, Japan, Jersey, Lituania, Malta, Malta New Zealand, Poland, Serbia, Singapore, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Sweden, United Kingdom.

Ancient Mayan city FOUND: How 80ft temple was revealed to cameras 'for very first time'
The Mayans were a civilisation known for their architecture, mathematics and astronomical beliefs, who date back to as far as 2000BC. Many of their impressive constructions can still be seen in the jungles of southeast Mexico, Guatemala, Belize and western parts of Honduras. Even to this day, archaeologists are constantly battling against local looters to get their hands on some of the most exquisite finds to learn more about this advanced society. However, Amazon Prime’s “Mayan Treasure Hunters” takes viewers closer than ever before to unseen territory. The film crew, accompanied by local looters, visited an entire hidden city in the Guatemalan jungle, unknown to the government or historians. The 1990 documentary revealed: “You won’t have seen this happen before on television, it’s the first time it has ever been allowed to be filmed.

Videos

• An ocelot investigates one of our motion-triggered video cameras, .5min. at Mayflower Bocawina National Park

• Sea hare of some sort, 1/2min.

• Actun Chapat Cave Tour, 6min. Belizing.com teamed up with St. Leonard's Tours in Belize for an exciting cave tour of the Actun Chapat and Actun Halal caves in Western Belize. Actun Chapat refers to the “Cave of the Centipede”. Experience this amazing cave tour with us as we are guided by master cave explorer Mr. Rodolfo Juan of St. Leonard's Tours as he takes us on a journey to Xibalba, the Maya Underworld. This is one of the most amazing experiences in Belize. Mr. Juan is a treasure trove of knowledge about these caves. You will have the time of your life on this adventure. Nestled within the private property of Cave World Adventure, the cave is one of many activities in the area near the village of San Jose Succotz. Actun Chapat is host to the famous curtain room which are folds of limestone sheets coming off the roof of the cave and making the shape of falling curtains.

• Welcome to BoneTown, 2min. During some freetime while in Basil Jones Cut, Belize for a university travel course, my friend Flynn and I were able to track down some charismatic saltwater species including the elusive "Ghost of the Flats"...

• San Ignacio, Belize, 8min. This is the second half to my Belize trip. San Ignacio is about a 2hr drive from Belize City. Here I went on adventures to several Maya Ruins.

• Rio Blanco National Park Toledo, Belize, 1.5min.

• Motorcycle on Southern Highway, Belize, 16min. On the way down South I saw the famous Sleeping Giant which is a few mountains depicting a giant sleeping. Beautiful Scene!

• A discussion about bees at a farm in San Miguel Farm Belize, 4min.

• Birds of Belize, best of..., 1.5min. Top 25 (or so) bird pics from our recent trip to Belize

• HOPKINS, BELIZE 2019, 5min.

• Belize-Punta Gorda, 43min. Yurumein 2018.

• Birds of Belize Movie 90 species, 6.5min. Pics of all species of birds that we took pictures of in Belize (over 90...)

• PLB Closing Season 2018-2019 || Verdes FC vs San Pedro Pirates FC, 2.5hr.