FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and other specials

The San Pedro Sun

Wolfe’s Woofer: Mistress
“Hello, Mr. Dennis,” Juan said. “I believe you know my wife.” I said, “I do. Good morning Dońa Dolores.” Juan and his wife took a table close to mine on the deck of the Holiday Hotel and ordered their lunch. Just as they finished their meal a lady who looked like a tourist walked up from the beach and on to the deck. As she passed their table she stopped and gave Juan a big kiss. Then she continued her way through the hotel and out the front door. Dolores was dumbfounded but not for long. “Who was that put. . .put. . .put. . .?!” She sounded like a scooter with a bad muffler.

EL Gran Carnaval de San Pedro draws near
El Gran Carnaval de San Pedro 2019 will kick-off at 5pm on Saturday, March 2nd with the new Carnaval Parade. It is expected to begin from Boca del Rio Area and culminate at Honorable Louis Slyvestre Sporting Complex where a Carnaval Fiesta immediately follows. Different booths will be selling delicious food and drinks. Prizes will be awarded for the Best Carnaval booth, and the Best Carnaval Inspired drink. Organizer of El Gran Carnaval Festivities Daniela Guerrero welcomes participants. “We invite everyone to sign up for all the activities taking place, to make this year a bigger and better Carnaval,” she said. According to Guerrero, the reason to add a Carnaval Parade to this year’s festivities is try to make the tradition bigger and better, adding to its vibrancy and appeal.

Doctor Love: Mother
Dear Doctor Love, My only son turned fourteen last September, and since then it’s like I live with somebody from another planet. He’s like an alien who stares into the fridge for hours a day and uses grunts and eye rolls to communicate. I expected long talks with him about growing up and watching his mind develop. Instead, my sweet boy that I always had such a very open and loving relationship with has become a sulky shadow lurking around the house, He’s always just out of the reach of my curiosity and pushes aside the wisdom it has taken me a lifetime to accumulate. I imagined us bonding as he seeks my advice on how to win his first crush. I

Misc Belizean Sources

mzz

First Ethnographic Maya Museum
Greetings to everyone! Just want to thank everyone who with no hesitation help in every way possible in the creation of the first ethnographic Maya Museum. Last year we hosted various groups, especially Belizean and foreign students. One of our philosophies is that we strongly believe that Maya and African history be taught in every classroom at all levels. If we teach our children the truth, they can be leaders in the critically important work of bringing about reconciliation in our country and build a stronger Belizean Identity.

Prime Minister Departs the Country
The Office of the Prime Minister informs that the Prime Minister the Rt. Hon. Dean Barrow departed the country on personal leave today, February 3, 2019. The Prime Minister will be in Houston, Texas during his leave. He will return to Belize on Thursday, February 7, 2019. During Prime Minister Barrow’s absence, the Hon. Patrick Faber, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Education, Culture, Youth and Sports, will act as Prime Minister.

2019 Miss Caribbean Pageant
The Kenrick Mark Coleman Foundation is honored to announce the participation of Azizi Juanita Hoy in the 2019 Miss Caribbean Pageant. The lovely, beautiful and talented Azizi Hoy received a full scholarship from the Cuban Government in July, 2018 and is currently pursuing her medical degree at the Latin American School of Medicine in Cuba. She attended St. Catherine's Academy and St. John's College Junior College. She also excelled in 15 CXC exams.

BWS Notice for Customers in Belize City: Planned Water Interruption for Tuesday, February 5, 2019
Duration: 1:00pm - 6:00pm Area to be affected: the area bounded to the North by Haulover Creek, to West by Central American Boulevard, to the East by West Collet Canal, and to the South by South Creek.

BWS Notice for Customers in Dangriga: Planned Water Interruption for Tuesday, February 5, 2019
Duration: 9:00am - 1:00pm Area being affected: entire Dangriga Town

Exploring underwater caves is so much fun
A few nice photos of some of the caves in Caye Caulker, Belize.

Channel 5

Shootings in Belize City
Belize City police are investigating two separate shootings which occurred tonight. The first shooting occurred at around 6 o’clock and the victim has been identified as 27 year old Devon Faber. Reports are that Faber was shot while in his yard on Westlake Park in the Mile 8 Community. Faber is listed in a stable condition. The second shooting occurred shortly after on St. Thomas Street. Reports are that the victim is Shawn Hemmans. He was shot multiple times and died minutes after.

The Reporter

Belizean Historian Disenfranchised No Stats at Vital Stats
The repeated allegations of fraud at the Vital Statistics Unit, coupled with the firing of four of its employees late last year for the alleged issuing of a fake birth paper to remanded accused murderer, William “Danny” Mason made the news amidst reports that, ‘there were also born Belizeans who could not get their identification applications processed’.

MAN DIES IN BIZARRE ACCIDENT
A freak accident on Thursday evening in Corozal has resulted in the death of a Town Council employee and injuries to another man. The deceased, sanitation worker Jose Gomez, 32, was accidentally flung from a waste management truck he was working on and sustained severe injuries to his head.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Scottish government to honor Belizeans that helped out during World War 2
The Government of Scotland will be honoring some 900 men from Belize who worked in timber cutting camps as the British Honduras Forestry Unit (BHFU) during World War 2. The Scotland-based Evening Edingburgh News published an article today saying that the government has already written to the Belize High Commissioner to thank the country for the work that the BHFU did and that the men will be recognized for their contribution in managing Scotland’s forests during the war.

Students from John Paul Junior College visit Aguacate, Toledo
Eight students and three teachers from John Paul II Junior College (JPIIJC) traveled from Benque Viejo del Carmen on a mission trip to the village of Aguacate, Toledo from January 20-26, 2019. The visit was part of JPIIJC’s ongoing mission among the Kekchi Maya to promote and practice the college goal of “Belizeans helping Belizeans.”

LGBT Organization makes significant marks for inclusion of LGBT families in Belize
Our Circle, an LGBT advocacy group based in Belize is launching new projects aimed at strengthening ties within the local LGBT community. The organization has launched their Brown Bag Series for “Activists, Advocates & Allies”.

Police locate parents of infant found wandering in San Pedro
An infant child was found wandering alone on Sea Grape drive in San Pedro, Ambergris Caye yesterday morning. Authorities shared pictures of the young girl with the media seeking assistance to locate her parents or guardians.

Blogs

Celebrating 3 Years of the CRC
The 3rd year of the CRC took off like a croc ambushing peccary on a river’s bank! From traveling across country leading and finishing the countrywide Morelet’s crocodile population survey, to deploying the first iridium satellite tracker on an American croc in Belize and in the Central American and Caribbean region, to setting up a mini Wildlife Triage Center to better respond to injured or ill wildlife in southern Belize, to conducting educational outreach in all 6 districts in Belize, the CRC has furthered their mission in research, education and community relationships. Here is a summary of some of this year’s highlights (and these truly are highlights because if we wrote about EVERYTHING it would be a scientific monograph!):

Misty Mountain Solitude at Gaďa Riverlodge
The Mountain Pine Ridge Forest Reserve is nestled within the Cayo District of south-central Belize. Covering an expanse of more than 106 thousand acres, the reserve is primarily pine forest with its fair share of broadleaf forest and grassland areas. Replete with majestic waterfalls, rumbling rivers, vast cave systems, misty mountains and amazing creatures large and small, this area is the perfect playground for those who love the serenity of nature and have a thirst for adventure. With so much to see and do, where do you rest your weary body after an exhilarating day of exploration? There are a handful of resort properties within the reserve, each exceptional in their unique way, but one that stands alone in stellar location and hospitality is the one and only Gaďa Riverlodge.

International Sourcesizz

Nayib Bukele, an Outsider Candidate, Claims Victory in El Salvador Election
Salvadorans elected Nayib Bukele, the media-savvy former mayor of the capital, as their next president on Sunday, delivering a sharp rebuke to the two parties that emerged from the country’s brutal civil war in the 1980s and have held power ever since. The dramatic win for Mr. Bukele, 37, who was running as an outsider, underscores the deep discredit into which the country’s traditional parties have fallen. Voters appeared to be willing to gamble on a relative newcomer to confront the country’s poverty and violence, shutting out the right- and left-wing parties that have dominated Salvadoran politics for three decades.

Videos

• Corozal Football Association - 2018/2019 Closing Season Parade, 1/2min.

• Some Birding with Francis before heading home!, 5min. We enjoyed an early breakfast at the lodge cottontreelodge.com/dining/ and started our journey home. We met up with Francis again from belizeroadridersrentals.com and did some birding before the airport. We stopped by a shrimp farm where you can "fish" for your own shrimp, and we walked the grounds, which is also home to rescued American Crocodiles. We saw the Yucatan Vireo and a beautiful Black Spiny Tailed Iguana. A beautiful place.

• Birding Day with Steve Choco!, 7min. We headed out early in the am for the drive to Big Falls, to meet up with renowned birder Steve Choco. We saw Bat Falcons at the rice mill and then birded around the Big falls lodge property. We had breakfast at the lodge, and headed for more birding. Highlights were Russet Naped Wood Rail, Orange Billed Sparrow, and Barred Antshrike. Towards the end of the day, we happened upon (due to Steve's awesome skills!) an ant swarm! Lots of birds feasting and we got amazing looks at Great Antshrike, both male and female Bare Crowned Antbirds, and Tawny Winged Woodcreeper. What a day! After, we went to lunch at Coleman's Cafe which was fantastic. The owners couldn't have been more nicer and welcoming and we had a home cooked buffet for $10USD pp. .... and the best homemade lime-ade ever!

• Snake Cayes Snorkel, 8min. We headed out again with Steve, who joined us on a snorkel trip to Snake Cayes, out of Garbutt's Marina. We visited two spots. The first had some pretty corals and sea fans and small fish. The second spot had giant barracudas and Eagle Rays! After, we visited to a private island, that used to be a resort, and had lunch. After the trip, we headed back to Coleman's Cafe to get Ice cream.... and of course some of their famous lime-ade.

• Belize 2019, 8min. Chris and Patti's Amazing Adventure

• Catamaran to hol chan chanel, Belize, 3min.

• Cart ride thru Placencia, Belize, 6.5min.

• Vern's Kitchen, Seine Bight, Belize, 2min.

• PLB Closing Season 2018-2019 || Police United FC vs Wagiya SC, 2hr.