FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and other specials

The San Pedro Sun

Island visitor William McQueen donates to Hope Haven
US-retiree and long-time island visitor William McQueen presented a US$10,000 donation to Hope Haven Center Children’s Shelter located in San Pedro Town. The money donated to Hope Haven will go towards the different programs they currently operate, which include counseling, a literacy program at Holy Cross Anglican School, Colleen’s Kitchen Food Bank, SHINE Girls Group, Women Artisans Project, Preschool ballet and the Kid’s Club. McQueen told The San Pedro Sun that he has been visiting the island for almost 19 years, and he wanted to give back to the community he loves so much. “I recently inherited some money, so I wanted to give to San Pedro since I have been vacationing here for the past 19 years. I am aware of the great work Hope Haven does in the community, so I decided it would be good to help them,” he said.

Chef Chris Aycock brings sushi to Grand Caribe Resort
On January 1st the Grand Caribe Resort family opened the doors to their newest restaurant, Aqua. With a culinary team lead by notable island chef, Chris Aycock, Aqua has brought an elevated seafood dining experience to north Ambergris Caye. Serving Japanese style sushi with a Caribbean twist every Wednesdays and Fridays, visitors and locals are welcomed to enjoy a dining experience unlike no other. From blackened shrimp salads to local charred octopus, Chef Aycock creates each dish to satisfy even the most discerning palates. Nevertheless, his true mastery in the kitchen shines during Aqua’s Sushi Nights.

Meet the San Pedro Invaders 2019
Belize’s National Amateur Women’s League (NAWL) Closing Season 2019 began on Saturday, February 2nd, and for the first time, sees the participation of a female team from San Pedro Town. The San Pedro Sun is pleased to introduce to you the players that form San Pedro Invaders female team. They will be competing for this season’s championship. The San Pedro Invaders is currently being coached by Mario Chimal, who is from San Pedro Town and is a well-known footballer. Manager, Arnold Kuylen is assisting him. The San Pedro Invaders faced Corozal Scorpions for their season opener on Saturday, February 2nd at the Ambergris Stadium in San Pedro Town. The island team fought hard for victory but had to settle for a 4-4 draw. For their next match, San Pedro Invaders will be traveling to face the Orange Walk Gladiators on Sunday, February 10th. The game is scheduled to start at 3PM at the People’s Stadium. For more information on how to accompany the Invaders as a fan, contact 605-0769.

Misc Belizean Sources

mzz

Cultural day in the Maya village of Patchakan(Corozal)
Maya villagers of Patchakan and the Maya group To'one Masehualo'on showing thier culture to Students of Saint John's. Nuestra cultura Maya Yucateca sigue vivo el norte de Belize. Pictures courtesy of Nojoch Mak Jeremias Tzul.

First Scarlet Macaw count in Belize
Hey friends in Belize. The First Scarlet Macaw count in Belize is coming up very soon! Next Weekend! Please reach out to Charles Britt or Roni Martinez if you have interest in participating on the east side of the divide (check out the map below for locations). You can contact Boris Miguel Arevalo if you want to help out in the Chiquibul. If you can participate all three days then that would be great. However, one or two days is great as well. The counts are in the mornings so you can have the rest of the day to take care of things or go birding!

Placencia Sidewalk Art Festival
Photos....

The Reporter

Belize Warned of Being Blacklisted, Unless…
Belize is among six territories which the European Code of Conduct Group (CCG) has written to, asking each one to update our preferential tax measures or face the possibility of being blacklisted. The request gives Belize and the other five territories, Curaçao, Mauritius, Saint Lucia, Barbados, and the Seychelles several months to commit to replacing our respective ‘harmful’ tax practices and seek alternative measures.

Belizean Police Seek Guatemalan Police Assistance to Capture Shooter
Belizean Police authorities have turned to their Guatemalan counterparts to ask for the capture of Anibal Avila after he reportedly shot indiscriminately at the Immgration/Customs building at the Benque border when he was denied entry into Belize early Thursday morning.

Farmers will save Belize
By Neferetary Marin. Being raise on a producing cattle ranch and farm, I learned to work hard and efficiently before and after school to accomplish all that needed to be done to keep the family business running smoothly through both prosperous and hard times.

Police & Business Sector Offer Cash Reward for Arrest
The Belize Police Department, with support from the business community, is offering a cash reward for relevant information that leads to the arrest of those responsible for Thursday evening’s robbery and deadly shooting upon a Japanese family off the Philip Goldson Highway.

Senior Citizen Shot in the Head; Critical
A senior citizen is in a critical condition at the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital (KHMH) in Belize City after he was shot in his head while he was riding in Buena Vista Village, Cayo where he lives.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Belize named among best adventure destinations
Belize has been named among the world’s best sport and adventure destinations by TripAdvisor. According to the world renowned travel site, ‘adrenaline experiences’ are on the rise, trending up nearly 20% year-on-year as more travelers search for more exciting and daring experiences.

Shell to host Love Expo in Santa Elena town
Shell gas station in Santa Elena town is hosting a Love Expo on Saturday, February 16, 2019. Participating businesses for the expo include Wine Smith Ltd., Bowen and Bowen, The Wine House, A and S Covers, Auto Select and Castellanos Imports.

Cool weather to continue
A slight moist Northeasterly airflow prevails over the country. Sunny clouds with some cloudy spells and a few showers are expected. The sea state will be choppy to moderate.

Christian Concert to be held in San Antonio Saturday night
Villagers in San Antonio, Cayo are hosting a Christian concert tonight. The event will take place at the San Antonio village Central Park and is set to start at 6:00 p.m.

Blogs

Solo Female Travel in Mexico — Is it Safe?
Is it safe for a woman to travel alone in Mexico? ABSOLUTELY. Mexico gets a undeserved bad reputation for travel, particularly in the United States. Much of this is due to the cable news environment with its exaggerated narratives that Mexico is full of drug cartels and murderous immigrants. This is not what Mexico is actually like. In fact, the real Mexico is so different that you’ll be stunned. My name is Kate and I write about solo female travel for a living. And I’ve spent a lot of time traveling in Mexico. Even though I’ve been to 77 countries and all seven continents, there’s something about Mexico that pulls me back again and again. I literally got back from my last trip two weeks ago and I’m already trying to figure out when I can go back next!

The ATM Cave in Belize : Everything You Need to Know
There's such a wealth of historical and natural landmarks in Belize that it can be hard to know which to fit into your schedule, but the ATM Cave - or Actun Tunichil Muknal Cave - is a possible contender for Belize's most stunning attractions. Located close to the town of San Ignacio, the ATM Cave is the most popular cave tour in Belize. Its vast network of underground chambers is known as being a treasure trove for archaeologists but also for its diverse ecosystem of bats, crabs, crayfish, and tropical fish. Here's everything you need to know before you start planning a trip to the Actun Tunichil Muknal Cave.

International Sourcesizz

Japanese man shot to death trying to save father in Belize robbery
A Japanese man has been shot to death and his father critically wounded by two armed men in Belize, according to the Japanese Embassy in Belmopan. The incident happened in Belize City, nation’s largest city, at around 6 p.m. Thursday, embassy officials said. Local media identified the man who was killed as Masaki Yanai, 19. His father, Takayuki, 53, runs a Japanese restaurant in Belize City. The two men attacked the father when he returned home from shopping and was unloading his car.

I Traveled Solo to a Romantic Private Island Resort and I Don't Regret a Thing
The thing about gorgeous private island villas is that you don’t usually stay in them alone. On my flight down to Belize, there were seemingly no other solo travelers; the couple sharing the row with me was heading to their friends’ vow renewal ceremony. When I told them I had plans to stay (by myself) at Turneffe Island Resort, a private island 30 miles off the coast of Belize City, they both nodded vigorously and smiled at me in the way people do when they’re at a loss for words. My villa had an outdoor shower roughly the size of my kitchen at home, a view of the Caribbean Sea, a hammock, a personal palapa, and its own little stretch of private beach. Was it abundantly clear why it would’ve been appealing to honeymooners? Yes. Was it weird to have it all to myself? Not even a little. The phrase “villa for one” might not be super common, but it should be, because sleeping diagonally in a king-size bed and sprawling your toiletries out over two bathroom sinks is truly luxurious.

The murder epidemic in Latin America and the Caribbean
Latin America and the Caribbean make up only eight per cent of the world's population but accounted for almost 40 per cent of the murders committed worldwide in 2017. The average murder rate in the region was 24 per 100,000 — almost five times the global average. Jamaica ranked third in the world at 60 per 100,000. Somewhat surprisingly, the US Virgin Islands came in fourth at 47 per 100,000. Of the 10 countries with the highest murder rate in the world, nine are from the region, five of which are Caricom states. Of the 50 cities with the highest murder rates, 43 are to be found in the region.

Videos

• The Placencia BTIA Sidewalk Arts Festival!!, 42min.

• BEL’s contribution to the expansion of the Philip Goldson and George Price Highways and construction of a new road to the international airport, 1min. We thank our dedicated teams who worked diligently throughout the day and into the night on February 8 to complete BEL’s contribution to the expansion of the Philip Goldson and George Price Highways and construction of a new road to the international airport. Thanks also to customers for your patience and understanding during the scheduled outage necessary for the safety of our crews. We apologize again for the extension caused by damages from other heavy equipment.

• More on the water dining in Belize, 1.5min. Charles's Fine Dining Over the Water.

• Bark Beetle field research in Belize, 15min. The University of Florida Forest Entomology team sets out to explore tropical bark beetles at a remote field station in Belize, and finds biological treasures, human history and a connection with the landscape.

• Carnival Glory - Belize 2018, 9.5min. Carnival Glory - July 3rd, 2018. Our stop in Belize for a little zip lining @ Chukka Jaguar Outpost.

• Caye Caulker Belize 2019 / Caye Caulker Beach Hotel, 7min. This is day 7 of our Belize trip and our final stop before heading home on day 11. We loved Caye Caulker the moment we stepped foot on the white sand. The slow pace of life and extremely nice people made it an instant favourite. The food , the drinks, and the heart beat of this island is a must visit for any traveler. The no shirt, no shoes, no problem motto is easy to get accustomed too. We stayed at the Caye Caulker beach hotel. The location was incredible, and the price was right! The room is extremely small but had everything we needed for the short time we were in it. The split was a super chill place to hang out. The snorkelling with the local tour guide Ish was absolutely amazing. He even invited us to his place for dinner after! He cooked up the fish we caught during our tour. I can’t wait to return to this magical little island.

• Whale Sharks Belize, 5min. Two whale sharks about 25-30 feet in length off Gladden's spit Belize. June 2005 D for Danger : D for Danger and Company.

• Dive Belize: Glover's Reef Atoll, Blue Hole, Half Moon, 7.5min. Diving at Off the Wall, Glover's Reef, Blue Hole, Half Moon Wall. Loggerhead, Spotted eagle rays, creole wrasse, green moray, trumpetfish, scorpionfish, spiny lobster, basket sponges, reef sharks, nurse sharks, bone fishing, and one lonely Portuguese man of war. Visibility over 100 feet. Water temp around 82 degrees. Inland exploring at Black Rock Lodge!

• Catamaran up a River! - Belize's Sittee River, 20min. We're up a River with lots of paddlers if need be! Tricky navigation continues as we motor up the Sittee River, past the silty shallows of the river's mouth where we worry about getting stuck, to a tropical and chilled out marina near the town of Hopkins Belize. This is our first time taking Saltair 3 up a river and it's a gorgeous trip!

• El Classico! Bandits SC vs Verdes FC | PLB 2018-2019 Closing Season, 52min.

• British Convoy, 1min. TO THOSE WHO SAW A CONVOY OF BRITISH ARMY TRUCKS ON THE GEORGE PRICE WESTERN HIGHWAY, LET US MAKE IT CLEAR. THE BRITISH ARMY IS AGAIN PRESENT IN BELIZE, ON EXERCISE IN JUNGLE TRAINING. This is a routine in military training. THIS IS NOT A SURPRISE FOR THOSE WHO KNOW BETTER. This does not mean that we are being threatened.