Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#535017 02/23/19 08:42 AM
OP Offline
I was going from north to south at 5:30pm last night. As I approach the bridge Capt. Morgan's LARGE van was attempting to cross ahead of me. When it go half way up the bridge it caused all traffic from both directions to back up as their van is too large to allow traffic to pass both directions. This caused a back up as all other vehicles from both directions had to reverse. It is bad enough that dump trucks cause a one way on the bridge. I question the logic to allow passenger vans of this size.

Oh, I forgot. I can't seem to find the word logic in the Belize dictionary.

Last edited by bywarren; 02/23/19 10:20 AM.
OP Offline
People complain about the number of golf cart permits. Well, you can have an unlimited number of golf carts on the island and until some person is driving them, they are not a traffic problem. You can't expect to attract more people, tourists, workers and drug dealers, and expect less traffic. You could restrict the size of vehicles based on the ability of roads and bridge to accommodate. Especially those for transporting people. Delivery vehicles and construction vehicles offer more of a challenge based on their uses. But, vehicles for transporting people, one would think, do not have to be so large as to block oncoming traffic on the bridge.

By the same logic, why was Bowen's tractor-trailer combination ever allowed on the island?

1bzman
OP Offline
That makes for an interesting discussion. What would you suggest would be a better way for Bowen to deliver it's product?

Traffic is a problem and there are a lot of simply ways to alleviate some of the issues. People riding bicycles think that road rules do not apply to them. I wish the traffic department would teach people that the road rules apply to them too. Stop signs apply for bicycle traffic, one ways systems also, right of way and crossing lanes too. And how about using lights and bells? Pedestrians also need some education about walking and crossing the street. If there is a sidewalk they need to use it. Stepping out into traffic and deliberately attempting not to make eye contact with a drivers seems to be the death wish dream of so many people walking along the roads. Groups of people ambling and spreading out across the road cause traffic flow issues too - this is especially true when high school lets out in the afternoons. Our kids should all be taught how to be pedestrians. Most obviously delivery hours need to be established for businesses. It is definitely quite silly that the Bowen and Bowen fleets head out and return during rush hours. Early morning and late night deliveries may need to be considered.

What I do see is a distinct lack of basic road rule respect and simple common sense. If there is traffic parked on two sides of the road and a wide truck is heading towards you it is wiser to pull over and let him by - so many people don't think 5 carts ahead and realize that if the truck is stuck everyone will be stuck. Let the truck by and then the flow of narrower vehicles can continue.

Exactly what is the race? Why is everyone rushing around? Leave earlier - plan for more time on the road, especially during high season and rush hour.

Have some patience and courtesy. Oh, and honking your horn will not unsnarl or speed up a traffic jam.

And finally, the one most obvious traffic jam issue that could be avoided - stop dropping off kids at the RC school at the Tarpon Street gate. Parents picking up and dropping kids off at this gate cause a traffic snarl that leads to traffic being backed up all the way from Island city, to Campo de Fiori, to the Green house, El Fogon, Sacas Chispas and all points in between. It is absolutely bizarre. The new traffic flow plan would work if the kids were not dropped off at that spot.

F
F
Originally Posted by bywarren
I was going from north to south at 5:30pm last night. As I approach the bridge Capt. Morgan's LARGE van was attempting to cross ahead of me. When it go half way up the bridge it caused all traffic from both directions to back up as their van is too large to allow traffic to pass both directions. This caused a back up as all other vehicles from both directions had to reverse. It is bad enough that dump trucks cause a one way on the bridge. I question the logic to allow passenger vans of this size.

Oh, I forgot. I can't seem to find the word logic in the Belize dictionary.

You will never find logic in the Belize dictionary! I guess you forgot that you live on "island time"! What was so important that you could not take a few min to let the LARGE van by??? I guess living in paradise is stressful?? 1st world problems!!

Belize is Awesome!
I was talking specifically about the large semi tractor trailer combination that has a space on the end to carry it's own forklift. It is used mostly south of town. You will know it when you see it.

1bzman
OP Offline
You misinterpret my concerns. Read, or re-read Amanda's comments. Traffic along with the lack of infrastructure and responsible regulations to accommodate the volume of people living and vacationing on the island is a growing problem.
This might not be a concern to some that come here to vacation and are willing to live on "island time". Probably cocktail hour is the only time important to them. But, there are many, children getting to school on time, workers getting to work on time and many other locals that are effected and inconvenienced by the growing traffic problem.
My use of Capt. Morgan's van is an example of, in my opinion, the lack of reasonable regulations to help with the traffic problem. Sure,a large van that blocks oncoming traffic on the bridge might be considered by those living on "island time" not to be a major problem. But if regulations permit that, and if every resort north of the bride had that size van, the constant traffic that those resorts create, both on the bridge and in town on the way to the airstrip, could possibly be a problem to those on "island time" getting to cocktail hour on time.

I have been held up in traffic for 30 minutes by the bridge and an hour south of town in the recent past - that is getting a little beyond " island time" and I already do my best to avoid rush hour. I had a meeting the other morning which was set for 8:30 am - I realized that wasn't going to happen or I would arrive pretty stressed out - so I pushed it all back until 9:30am - and we had a great productive meeting with minimal traffic issues.

San Pedro needs an original Disneyland parking lot tram. Side load seats, articulates like baggage trams at the airports. It can traverse all corners in the city. Do you remember those? It's the perfect people mover for San Pedro .

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 319 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.