Blackadore Caye #535067
02/26/19 06:24 AM
02/26/19 06:24 AM
Chicago
R
Ridgebackmix Offline OP
Ridgebackmix  Offline OP
R
I was reading some of the plans for this project, and it all seems quite impressive. What are other forum members views on it, and how do you think it will affect Ambergris Caye? I was thinking that it will bring more attention to the western side of Ambergris Caye.

Last edited by Ridgebackmix; 02/26/19 06:24 AM.
Re: Blackadore Caye [Re: Ridgebackmix] #535069
02/26/19 06:45 AM
02/26/19 06:45 AM
J
Jameela01 Offline
Jameela01  Offline
J
The talk of Blackadore has pretty much died down around here, seems that the new uproar is Margaritaville. Is there more new news re: Blackadore?

Re: Blackadore Caye [Re: Ridgebackmix] #535075
02/26/19 07:37 AM
02/26/19 07:37 AM
San Pedro Town, Ambergris Caye...
Amanda Syme Offline

Amanda Syme  Offline
There will be another development to be in uproar about right around the corner. It is a fact of life that without progress and development a place will stagnate and young people move away. Sure we have enough business to go around at the moment but our population is growing exponentially and although our infrastructure isn't keeping up if we were to stop every new development today and insisted that infrastructure be installed and that all existing establishments up their game, invest in their properties and improve without being able to offer the ability to increase their revenues (no additional visitors) businesses would falter. Visitors get very upset each time we put in major infrastructure projects - take a look at the numbers when we had to put in the major water lines and power upgrades previously.

I think there is a place out at Turneffe that is the current whipping boy in the development department and a new resort management group in the south of the country.

It sure is a catch 22.

Re: Blackadore Caye [Re: Ridgebackmix] #535078
02/26/19 08:28 AM
02/26/19 08:28 AM
San Pedro, Belize
Judyann H. Online content
Judyann H.  Online Content
Well said Amanda....

My friends call me Judyann

www.blackorchidrestaurant.com
Re: Blackadore Caye [Re: Ridgebackmix] #535119
02/28/19 08:16 PM
02/28/19 08:16 PM
San Pedro
S
SFJeff Offline
SFJeff  Offline
S
Yeah, I mean why slow the pace of development just because of a near complete lack of adequate infrastructure... or censure those needing to upgrade that which is antiquated or inadequate. Build!!! Get a minister's exemption!!! Make la isla bonita mas grande!!!

This "if we build it they will come" mindset stands to quickly replace everything that is unique about this island with a crappier, more expensive version of what can be found a 1,000 other places. For anyone concerned that "Ambergris is going the way of Cancun" fear not, it isn't. Cancun has infrastructure and planning.

Do you really think if places keep pumping S#@! into the ocean or lagoon, if water pressure in town can't reach 2nd floors, if traffic is perpetually gridlocked and trash is strewn everywhere more and more people will visit here? Revenues will increase? The pie will be bigger and everyone will enjoy a slice?

RE: the current whipping boy/place out at Turneffe, are you talking about Belize Dive Haven? Where they built without an EIA? (and arguably dynamited the reef.)

Re: Blackadore Caye [Re: Ridgebackmix] #535128
03/01/19 08:40 AM
03/01/19 08:40 AM
San Pedro, Belize
Jeff, you certainly make some good points. Even though your style is a bit aggressive..... However, Amanda was stating the facts of any community and we agreed that it is a catch 22. Yes, infrastructure, proper marketing and many other growth side affects must be considered. If we become more of a Cancun and less of a Jamaica it is up to how we handle the growth. An 'all stop' mentality is not the best approach.

Re: Blackadore Caye [Re: Ridgebackmix] #535130
03/01/19 09:23 AM
03/01/19 09:23 AM
San Pedro
S
SFJeff Offline
SFJeff  Offline
S
Think about what a ludicrous statement/notion this is:

In order to accommodate a growing population... in hopes to potentially attract more tourists... continue to build and develop, exponentially, without a plan for infrastructure, let alone a pause to implement it.

I did not suggest "stropping every new development." There is no sensible governor in place though controlling the scale and appropriateness of development. Certainly not the SPTB or GOB. As it stands there's what... 1,000 new rooms on the island set to come on line in the next 2-3 years (La Sirene, Alaia, Grand Caribe, more...) How do you think that's going to play out?

Passively acknowledging contradictions/catch-22's is meaningless. The GOB excels at this... One department or Minister will say "No, I don't agree with this but it's out of my hands." Uh, no it's not. Actually it's your exact job to govern and control this.

Search "catch 22" on line and you'll find the following notion, which fits Belize perfectly: "One connotation of the term is that the creators of the "catch-22" situation have created arbitrary rules in order to justify and conceal their own abuse of power."

Last edited by SFJeff; 03/01/19 09:24 AM.
Re: Blackadore Caye [Re: Ridgebackmix] #535155
03/02/19 08:07 AM
03/02/19 08:07 AM
San Pedro, Belize
I agree Jeff.... All that you are stating here makes perfect sense. And to us that live & work here (including yourself) we are acutely aware of the government we signed up for.

Maybe it is up to us to make our voices heard and offer responsible solutions. As a matter of information with regard to both La Serene & Alaia they are infra-structurally self supporting projects; in fact Alaia went as far as to bring their own internet connection via fiber. After speaking with both developers it is clear they do not want to add strain to the local infrastructure and are taking real steps in their developments to see that through. I don't know enough about Grand Caribe, other than to say it is a beautiful resort with fantastic amenities and many of our guests who stay there cannot say enough about it.

Lastly, we cannot ignore the jobs that will be available with these developments. Not only the local construction companies and crews but also the long term hospitality positions. We employ a mere 7 people who would like to have the rest of their families move to the island and be able to afford a nice home. In my Pollyanna optimism I hope to see the quality of life for our local friends improve. With regard to government we can only hope they follow suit and begin to govern in the same way.

Re: Blackadore Caye [Re: Judyann H.] #535156
03/02/19 08:26 AM
03/02/19 08:26 AM
Illinois, Arkansas,South Dakot...
bywarren Offline
bywarren  Offline
" As a matter of information with regard to both La Serene & Alaia they are infra-structurally self supporting projects; "

Does that mean they are making their own water, electricity, garbage and sewage desposal and building roads to accommodate the additional traffic of their guests?

Re: Blackadore Caye [Re: Ridgebackmix] #535159
03/03/19 12:29 AM
03/03/19 12:29 AM
San Pedro, Belize
Thank you for asking the details..... With regard to La Serene I was told yes... Specifically I understand most of their guests will arrive through the Marina by direct water transportation from the mainland, they also have the Helipad option. In addition the electricity, garbage and sewer will be handled from the furthest end of South Ambergris Caye..... With regard to Alaia we did not get into the details, however my take was that electricity was going to be serviced by the local source already supporting Banyan Bay & Grand Colony. With regard to Traffic at Alaia, I simply do not know. I would hope each project understands and responds to their impact in the community. At this juncture I believe both do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
San Pedro Fun Finder
Paradise Guy Event Calendar
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 238 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics68,927
Posts474,651
Members19,406
Most Online2,982
Jan 29th, 2019

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.