Enjoy National Heroes and Benefactors Day!

On International Women's Day and the day before our National Heroes and Benefactors Day, we draw attention to trailblazers who have been featured in our Heroes, Patriots and Benefactors Exhibit. May they continue to inspire us!

FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and other specials

The San Pedro Sun

4th Annual Caye Caulker Lionfish Derby Tournament to be held on March 23rd
For the fourth consecutive year, Caye Caulker’s Lionfish Derby Tournament will take place at Barrier Reef Sports Bar and Grill. This year’s tournament is on Saturday, March 23rd and various teams will be competing in four different categories, including ‘Most Lionfish’ via scuba diving or free diving, plus ‘Largest Lionfish’ and ‘Smallest Lionfish.’ The tournament begins at 7AM from Barrier Reef Sports Bar and Grill in Caye Caulker, with boats heading out to sea fully equipped to catch as many lionfish as they can, hoping to claim one of the fabulous tournament prizes. The teams spend approximately eight hours at sea and are all expected to be back to the weighing and count station by 3PM. This is the highlight of the tournament, and a large crowd of spectators gather at the scale to view the amount of fish caught.

Wolfe’s Woofer: Overheard
“Amanda, do you think it’s wrong to have sex before marriage?” “It certainly was for me,” Amanda said. “Oh, that’s right,” her friend said. “I keep forgetting that you used to be married. Why do you think it was wrong for you to have sex before marriage?” “Because it made us late for the ceremony.” As I sat having my morning coffee on the deck of the Holiday Hotel, I couldn’t help overhearing this conversation. The two young tourist ladies were soon joined by another friend.

What’s New: NAI Belize hosts Open House
NAI Belize held an Open House at their office in San Pedro Town on Tuesday, March 5th. From 3PM to 5PM, island residents and visitors visited the NAI Belize office to meet and greet the team and to learn more about the business. NAI Belize is a full-service commercial real estate office offering brokerage, property management, investments and development projects. As an NAI Global member, they provide local-market leading insights combined with access to the single largest, most powerful network of owner-operated commercial real estate firms with 5,000 brokers in 400 local offices across 55 countries – all actively managed to perform for the client.

Doctor Love: Guilty Conscience
Dear Doctor Love All the time my younger brother was growing up I was the greatest big sister. I gave him spending money, cleaned up his scrapes and generally let him be a happy-go-lucky little kid. As he grew into his mid-teens, I started to teach him about being an adult and getting ready to live on his own. He never got the message. By his early twenties he was always in a financial crisis with drinking normally at the root of the problem and I helped his as much as I could until I got married. My husband likes him but refuses to let my brother be what he calls a “leech”. My brother is now in his mid twenties, single and completely irresponsible.

Misc Belizean Sources

mzz

Power outage in San Pedro March 24
Power outage 7:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon on Thursday, March 14 to affect portion of San Pedro, Ambergris Caye: entire Coconut Drive, Sea Grape Drive, Boca Ciega Area and Mosquito Coast Area. BEL to relocate power lines in the area.

Burns Avenue Karaoke Night
The SISE Town Council and NICH are bringing Grupo Jade in for a special Karaoke Night on Burns avenue. It'll be Friday, March 22nd, and will start at 7:00pm. "Back By popular demand Latinos Night! Location Burns Avenue Proudly Sponsored by Eva's, Serendib, and Tandor, Restaurants.On March 22nd from 7:00 pm to 12:00pm. Dont miss it!!!!!"

BELIZEAN CULTURAL MUSIC: Maya Pax the sound of rebellion
Belize is a country rich in culture and music . As different cultural ethnic groups interact they borrow instruments and make a unique sound which is adapted to their culture . While most of us know about the Creole Brukdown , the Garifuna punta music and its more modern form known as Punta Rock . There are other cultural music being played in Belize . In the Yucatec Maya communities of Northern Belize who may also be known as Maya Masewal or Maya Mestizo their traditional music is known as Maya Pax and Jarana . This music for the Northern Maya of Belize have a more religious ritualistic used especially when dancing the Óok'ostaj Pool(Hoghead dance) .

The Reporter

Brazen Robbers Dressed Liked Policemen Hit PUMA Gas Station
A pair of robbers have jacked the PUMA Gas Station on the northern Highway this evening, Sunday March 10th. The men are seen on the security video exiting a door inside the gas station carrying what looks like a computer or the cash-draw portion of a cash-register and a box.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Robbers dressed as police rob gas station
About an hour ago there was an armed robbery at the Puma gas station on the Philip Goldson highway. The two robbers entered the establishment dressed as police officers and demanded cash.[…]

Motorists advised to exercise extreme caution on George Price Highway
Motorists are advised to exercise extreme caution on the George Price Highway near Saint Matthew’s Village as a result of a fire causing thick smoke nearby. […]

Police investigating shooting in Belize City; One person injured
Authorities are investigating a shooting incident that occurred last night. Around 9:15 p.m., police went to the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital and met Lunsford Baldwin suffering from apparent gunshot injuries. […]

Police: 62-year-old killed in Tower Hill traffic accident
Authorities are investigating a road traffic accident that claimed the life of an elderly man. Last night around 7:35, police responded to the accident between Miles 50 and 51 on the Northern Highway. […]

Police confirm identity of Sandhill shooting victim
Sources in the Belize Police Department have confirmed today’s murder in Sandhill, Belize. Police say that the deceased, Denmark Casimiro, was involved in an argument with a man near his home. […]

The 1859 Treaty does not give title to Belize 8867
By Hallett Moody: I write in reference to an article in the Amandala Newspaper of 24 th January 2019 entitled “The 1859 Treaty does not give title to Belize 8867” by Mr Lindsay Belisle. Whereas it is with great reluctance that I pen this article for various reasons; I realize that Belizeans are at a historic crossroad, and deserve the facts and honest opinions, not half-truths and ill-conceived arguments! So, here goes! […]

Man shot on Magazine Road in Belize City
Sometime last night there was a shooting reported in Belize City. It occurred near a mechanic shop on Magazine Road. The victim was reportedly playing dominoes when a gunman emerged. […]

Fatal road traffic accident near Tower Hill, Orange Walk
Sometime before 7 p.m. last night there was a road traffic accident on the Philip Goldson Highway. An unidentified man was riding his bicycle near Tower Hill in the Orange Walk (OW) District when he was knocked down. […]

Murder in Sandhill
Early this morning, there was a murder recorded in the New Site Area of Sandhill, Belize. The victim has not yet been formally identified; however, we understand that he was killed near his residence. […]

Trial of the year: Mason headed to court
Two days from now, Belizeans at home and abroad will be paying attention closely to what could be the most explosive murder trial in recent memory, the trial of William “Danny” Mason and others. […]

Videos

La Ruta Maya

• Day 3 of the Belikin La Ruta Maya Belize River…, 4hr.

• The Belikin La Ruta Maya Belize River Challenge 2019…, min.

• A robbery took place at PUMA Gas station on the Philip Goldson Highway in Belize City Sunday afternoon, 13sec. Surveillance footage shows two men dressed in what appears to be police uniforms. The men are seen walking away with items from the establishment.

• Student choir Tour, 42min.

• 2019 Belize, 14min. Scuba diving...

• Belize - The Big One - February 12 2019, 47min. Scuba diving...

• Belize Steinweg Family Vacation, 17min. This video is about our family trip to Belize.

• Belize Student Choir gives concert in Belmopan., 7min. A 100-member choir from Texas USA, presented their first concert at the Mae Gordon Park in Belmopan. This is the first of several concerts countrywide.

• Garafuna drummers - high school students - in Hopkins, Belize, 1min.

• Belize 2019, 6min. Scuba diving in Belize.

• BELIZE Food Tour - San Pedro Town - Ambergris Caye, 6min. In tonight's video, we are heading out on a food tour around San Pedro on Ambergris Caye. Where to go, what to do, and how to get it done are some of my specialties here in Belize.

• MY BOYFRIEND TOOK ME TO BELIZE (we swam with sharks), 8.5min. I actually shot in last year on a tiny island in Belize called Ambergris Caye. Chris actually took me to Belize for my Christmas gift and it was totally epic. We swam with sharks, used a machete to chop up our own coconuts, rented a golf cart and got lost on the island and HAD THE BEST TIME. The Belizean people are lovely (and their food/drinks are the best).

• Belize Ruins & Howler Monkeys, 55min.

• Belize Diving (Including Blue Hole), 30min. Old footage of diving in Belize. The blue hole is one of the premier spots we went, swimming with bull sharks.

• Blue Hole, Belize, 4min. Ein mystischer Tauchgang am Blue Hole vor Belize, auf ca. 40 Metern durch ein Labyrinth aus bis zu baumdicken Stalaktiten.