FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and other specials

The San Pedro Sun

Civil Legal Rights session hosted in San Pedro Town
Mama Vilma’s Family Home along with the SunBreeze Hotel held a civil legal rights session at the SunBreeze Hotel conference room in San Pedro Town on Saturday, March 16th. The informative session was facilitated by Attorney Audrey B. Matura, who spoke about knowing your legal rights when dealing with relationships, common-law unions, alimony, paternity, child custody, divorces, and other issues in family matters.

San Pedro Pirates win 2-1 against Police United, back at #1 position in PLB
For the 10th week of the Premiere League of Belize’s (PLB) Closing Season 2019, the San Pedro Pirates F.C traveled to Belmopan City, Cayo District to go up against Police United F.C on Sunday, March 17th. With a 2-1 victory, the island team is back in the first place position with 20 total points.

Wolfe’s Woofer: Artificial Intelligence
“I’m reading an article in a magazine about a company in Japan that works with artificial intelligence,” Melody said. We were having coffee on the deck of the Holiday Hotel last Tuesday. I was reading my book while Melody toyed with her tablet. “They’ve developed a machine that can predict whether people are likely to steal.” “That’s old news,” I told her. “It’s a robot that has a camera and a computer.

San Pedro House of Culture hosts RefugiARTe Exhibition
The San Pedro House of Culture (SPHC), along with the National Institute of Culture and History (NICH) and United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) Belize held a #RefugiARTe Exhibition at the SPHC office on Friday, March 15th. The exhibition aims to raise awareness through art the plight of refugees and internationally displaced persons who are affected by violence, discrimination, and intolerance in the world. It also calls out for joint cooperative efforts to bring visibility and to respond to the needs of refugees to ensure protection and solutions for persons forced to flee their homes.

Letter to the Editor: Special Thanks from ACES
Dear Editor, Ambergris Caye Elementary School, ACES, wishes to thank everyone for their participation in the Fourth Annual Gala and Auction to benefit the school and its Special Needs Program. This year’s event was a huge success and raised over $40,000.00 due to the hard work and generosity from everyone involved. Special thanks go out to Jodie and Scott Harnish for their generous use of the venue, The Palapa Bar & Grill. Special thanks also go out to Krista Agramonte, more affectionately known as Chi Chi Rodriguez, for her coordination of the fundraiser and her untiring effort in soliciting auction items from local businesses.

Doctor Love: Work and Relationships
Dear Doctor Love, I work at a store and the staff all goes out regularly for lunch or drinks. Over the last year I have grown very close with one guy and hanging out together after work has turned into spending time together on weekends and having fun. We have finally told each other that we are falling in love. But what do we do now? I know this can turn into a serious relationship, but I am worried about work.

Misc Belizean Sources

mzz

Miss Chiquitita 2019
Corozal, March 30 at Miami Beach, 8-11am

BELIZE FISHING REPORT: MARCH 10, 2019 THROUGH MARCH 17, 2019
El Pescador had the opportunity to host our second Orvis Bonefish Bonanza of 2019. A lot of bonefish were landed and the highlight of the week was a double on big permit by Logan and Bryan. Bonefishing was good both from the boat and wading, with some really large ones landed.

Delivery of Voters' Identification Cards to Villages
The Elections and Boundaries Department hereby notifies electors that Elections and Boundaries personnel will be distributing identification cards in the below-listed villages (see attachment) for those persons whose applications were accepted in the months of JULY, AUGUST and SEPTEMBER 2018 and subsequently approved at revision court. Elections and Boundaries Registration Offices countrywide will also be opened for the issuance of Identification Cards on Saturday, 23rdand 30th March and 6th April 2019 between 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.

Continuation of the Issuance of Voters’ ID Cards
The Elections and Boundaries Department is pleased to notify electors that the third phase for the issuance of ID Cards will commence on Wednesday, 20th March 2019. The issuance of voter ID cards will be for those electors whose applications were accepted in September 2018 and subsequently approved at revision court. Electors are also reminded that the issuance of ID Cards for electors for July and August 2018 continues.

BHA brings Sunny Vacations to Snowy Washington
The Belize Hotel Association was in snowy Washington this weekend March 16 and 17, 2019 representing our membership at the Washington Travel and Adventure Show. The show opened at 9:30AM on Saturday for media and travel professionals only, then for the general public from 10AM to 5PM and from 11AM to 4PM on Sunday. Board Director Anoushka D. Brandl and Membership and Marketing Executive Ilechia Flowers met with numerous visitors to our booth, who were all looking for an exciting vacation in warm and sunny temperatures. Most of them stated that they hoped to visit soon and were very impressed with the countless activities that Belize offers.

Spotlight on Belize at ITB Berlin 2019
BHA President Ted Tejada and our BHA European Representative Sander Langeveld, were at the ITB Berlin Show in Germany representing our membership from March 5- 10, 2019. During these five days, the Belize Hotel Association representatives met with several agents, wholesalers, Media representatives and service providers that showed much interest in promoting and selling Belize to their clients. Several other Tourism stakeholders from Belize, were also present, promoting our beautiful country at this spectacular event, under the Belize Pavilion organized by the Belize Tourism Board.

BTB IMPLEMENTS JOINT PROJECT WITH BAS TO ENHANCE ST. HERMAN’S BLUE HOLE NATIONAL PARK
In its continuous efforts to enhance the tourism attractions, we have invested in the development of the nature based tourism product development, a component of Belize’s National Sustainable Tourism Master Plan 2030. The objective of the project aims to improve birding guests’ experience and satisfaction as this market segment has bloomed over the years. The Belize Tourism Board (BTB) recently embarked on a joint project with the Belize Audubon Society (BAS) to construct an octagonal shaped picnic shed to host a capacity of 50 persons and seven picnic benches at the St Herman’s Blue Hole National Park, which will make the environment more pleasant for visitors to that historic site.

Ministry of National Security Hosts Belize Civil Society Cyber Security Training
civil society training workshop on Cyber Security concluded today in Belize City. The training which started yesterday, March 18th, was organized by the Ministry of National Security. The event was organized in collaboration with Global Partners Digital (GPD), a UK based company dedicated to fostering a digital environment underpinned by human rights and democratic values; and the Organization of American States (OAS) who are supporting the process of developing Belize’s First Cyber Security Strategy. The purpose of the workshop was to increase civil society’s awareness of Internet security issues and to build their capacity to engage in the development of Belize’s National Cyber Security Strategy.

Paint N Splash
See you this week at from 2-4pm Thursday to paint our ”8-legged Friend”.

I WILL NOT VOTE IN A SHAM REFERENDUM
I will not vote in a sham Referendum that does not respect the voices of born Belizeans and citizens that hold a Belizean passport. Across the planet and in the USA upwards of 100,000 people can’t vote because of the two month requirement imposed on Belizeans living or working in other countries. Their remittances are good enough to be counted. They are good enough to be on national teams, they are good enough to be paraded in front of the country, they are good enough to have their names pasted on stadiums, but they are not good enough to have a voice in the referendum? All adult Belizeans should have a voice in the referendum no matter if their opinion does not reflect that of the donor countries or friends or recently established NGO.

Corozal Community College ANNUAL EXPO & TRADE FAIR 2019
SAVE THE DATE! Friday, March 29, 9am-4pm.

Maximiliano Rivero Sr. passes away
We join this community in extending our deepest and sincere sympathies to the families of the late Maximiliano Rivero Sr., affectionately known as Don Machin. May his soul rest in eternal peace and rise in glory.

BEL Public Consultation on Caye Caulker
Belize Electricity Limited invites Caye Caulker residents to a Public Consultation at 6:30 p.m. on Thursday, March 21, 2019, at Caye Caulker R.C Primary School.

FCD Looking for Protected Area Rangers

JOIN US As Agroforestry Extension Officer
We are securing the services of a Belizean Agroforestry Extension Officer – join our team! The major accountabilities include providing agroforestry extension services, strengthening community relationship, expanding the climate smart farming practices such as beekeeping and managing projects and finances related to the position. Deadline to submit application is Friday, 12th of April 2019. Visit our website for more information.

Channel 7

Clear the Land or Burn The Fields?
As we told you last night, after our interview with UDP Belize Rural North area rep. Edmond Castro, his cane field in Isabella bank was set on fire. Well, turns out it wasn't only his Isabella Bank farm, his Santa Martha cane field was also burnt.  It seems these fires are a spin off from the fight between PUP standard bearer for Belize Rural North Marconi Leal and one of Castro's generals Damion "Fello" Garbutt.  Today we visited Castro's farm in Isabella Bank to see the damage first hand. We spoke to a resident who was in the area when the fire started. We also spoke to Castro about the magnitude of his loss and what he is doing to salvage his investment.

Marconi Says Sorry For Throwing First Blow
And, today, PUP Standard Bearer Marconi Leal apologized for starting a fight.  He threw the first blow in the fight with Damion "Fello" Garbutt and ended up getting the worst of it. This morning he told LOVE TV that he's sorry, he just snapped:.. Marconi Leal - PUP Standard Bearer, Belize Rural North: "He caught me at my lowest point, it was late in the evening and he harassed me and saying a lot of foul things but I want to apologize this morning to all those who see this video, that I'm really sorry about what happened. Like I said earlier, he caught me when I was at my low point and I'm sorry, I apologise today. I don't look for trouble but I really snapped that day and this is why I come to Love FM to make people know that I want to apologise for what happened..."

Zabaneh Back to Court For Environmental Violation
43 year old Dion Zabaneh and his 76 year old mother Primrose Gabourel were hauled back before Senior Magistrate Aretha Ford for the third time today.   The Department of the Environment brought another raft of charges against them after being forced to withdraw the first set of charges which had multiple defects.  This time there was a wrinkle, there was a new charge for failure to obey an oral request - prior it was failure to obey a written enforcement notice.   All his is in relation to parcel 4670 in Buttonwwood Bay,  over an acre of land which happens to be in the sea.  Zabaneh almost completely filled it up, continuing after the DEO served him with a stop order.  

Senior Citizen Shot At Fried Chicken Spot
A 63 year old man was shot last night on Patridge Street. It happened around 7:45. Fern Lane resident Gilroy Garnett was at Bolo's Fast Food on Partridge Street ordering fry chicken when a gunman came up and opened fire on him, for no known reason. Garnett was hit in his lower abdomen and the bullett exited through his back. He is admitted in a critical condition. No arrests have been made.

Man Charged For B'Pan Hit and Run
A Las Flores man has been charged for Sunday night's hit and run that claimed the life of Pablo Hernandez. He is Robert Alfaro. He has been charged with manslaughter by negligence, death by careless conduct, driving without due care and attention, failed to stop and render aid and failed to report an accident. Alfaro will be arraigned tomorrow. As we reported, Pablo Hernandez was riding home when Alfaro allegedly ran him over and sped off, leaving Hernandez for dead in front of Caribbean Chicken.  The vehicle - a Honda CR-V, and the driver were allegedly found after he took it to get some body works done.  

Late Evening Fire Claims Two Residential Structures
Sirens rang out in Lake Independence this evening and two families are homeless tonight after two structures burned down in Bootsville. Not much is known at this time other than these videos we received showing two structures on fire. The fire started at around 6:00 and we'll have more on tomorrow's news.

Nat'l Fooball Team Goes To Guyana With Gold Cup Visions In Their Head
Tonight, the Belize National Football Team, the Jaguars, is on its way to Guyana. Team Belize is preparing to play its final match of this round of the Concacaf Nation's League Tournament. Belize has a very good chance of making it into the top 10, and if they do so, the country will make history and qualify for the Gold Cup for a second time.  If you've been following the team's performance you'll know that the Jaguars have played 3 international matches in this tournament so far, and they've won 2 out of 3. They defeated the Bahamas with a score of 4-nil, and Puerto Rico with a score of 1-nil. When they travelled to Montserrat for an away game, however, they lost with a final score of 0 to 1.

Rage From Small Operators At Tourism Village
At last week Friday's budget presentation, Prime Minister Dean Barrow boasted that Belize's cruise tourism sector hit a milestone with over 1 million tourist arrivals last year a first.  And just by those numbers alone, you might think that money would be flowing for cruise tourism guides and business interests. But the local tour operators who work outside the Fort Street Tourism Village are outraged because they say, that for the last month or so, they haven't even gotten crumbs from the cruise tourism pie.  We've featured their plight on this newscast numerous times. These local tour operators outside the FSTV's gates insist that the multinationals are actively trying to discourage tourists from buying tours from them.

Guat Found Armed in Increasingly Contentious Toledo Hinterlands
Two weeks ago, the Minister of National Security revealed that Guatemalan civilians had fired on the BDF when they were destroying a marjuana field in the Toledo District.  And tonight, there is another sign is Guatemalans pushing into that area.   Last week Wednesday, a BDF Sergeant was part was leading an operation in the Machaquilha Area of Toledo.  They stopped and searched 43 year old Guatemalan Hector Rene Lopez, who is from Poptun.  They found hime with a 16 gauge shotgun, and seven shotgun cartridges. He had no license, and was handed over to Punta Gorda Police. 

Your ID Card is Ready
The Elections and Boundaries Department is reporting tonight that the third tranche of voters ID Cards, for the voters who successfully re-registered in September 2018 are ready. The Department will commence issuing those ID cards tomorrow, and so if you were among those who re-registered last year September, you should visit the Elections and Boundaries office near you, and pick up that card. The Department also reminds that those voters who re-registered in July and August of 2018 are still able to pick up their voters ID cards, if they haven't done so already. And the Elections and Boundaries Department is also making it easier for voters in remote parts of the country to collect those ID cards.

It All Comes Down To Yes Or No
And, all this is coming down to that big referendum date. And, yesterday, the official sample ballott was released. It has two large areas for you to simply put an X over your choice of "YEs or No" on the right side of the paper. On the left is the question asked in the referendum in both Belize and Guatemala.

Alleged Burglars Say Cops Shot Them And Then Cooked Up Charges
Tonight, 31 year-old Deon Baltazar, 22 year-old Stanley Flowers, 20 year-old Shemar Castillo, and 21 year-old Whitflield Fisher are all at the Belize Central Prison after they were taken to court for allegedly breaking into a police officer's home and assaulting him and another man with a machete. It happened last week Thursday. All 4 men are accused of trespassing into the home of Police Constable Jacinto Roches and Denise Smith, which is located in the Western Paradise Community at mile 8 on the George Price Highway. The men are also accused of pulling machetes on Roches and another police constable, Tony Gamboa, and threatening both men.

Hillaire Sears Fights For Freedom With Constitutional Motion
Hillaire Sears has gone from a murder convict facing a lifetime sentence in 2002, to a parolee who had been convicted of the lesser charge of manslaughter for the killing of Rodwell Neal in 2001.   Now, 18 years later, Sears is back in court fighting for his freedom after he says his parole was arbitrarily revoked by the prison.  His attorney Leslie Mendez has taken up his constitutional motion which she argued today in the Supreme Court before Justice Michelle Arana.  Mendez explained the constitutional motion when arguments finished today:

Sailboat Abandoned on Reef
Tonight, the Belize Territorial Volunteers are reporting that they found a sail boat run aground and abandoned on the southern reef. They allege this happened less than a mile from a law enforcement base and the occupants skipped town - leaving the mess for someone else to clean up. These are only the initial reports, and we'll have some more information for you tomorrow.

Percussionist to Trinidad
The CARICOM Secretariat has invited 24 year-old Belizean drummer Musa Abdul Shaheed to serve on the Interim Festival Directorate for CARIFESTA.  He will be attending its 17th meeting, which will be held in Trinidad and Tobago on March 25th and 26th.  Musa Abdul Shaheed is a percussionist, facilitator and teacher. A NICH press release says that he has dedicated his life to the growth and awareness of the Kriol Culture by passing on traditions through the artful skill of drumming and drum making.

Channel 5

Video Evidence Unveiled in Court During Mason Murder Trial
Accused murderer William “Danny” Mason and his alleged accomplices were back in court today where they are being tried for the decapitation of Pastor Llewellyn Lucas in July 2016.  As [...]

A Tiff at Hattieville Ramada Over Right to Attorney
While the month long trial continues in the Belmopan Supreme Court, attorney Herbert Panton and Virigilio Murillo, C.E.O. of the Belize Central Prison, were involved in a back and forth. [...]

D.O.E. Brings ‘New/Same’ Charges Against Primose Gabourel and Dion Zabaneh
Mother and son duo, Primrose Gabourel and Dion Zabaneh, were back before Senior Magistrate Aretha Ford this morning. The Department of Environment is attempting to levy new charges on Gabourel [...]

The Prosecution ‘Screwed Up’, Says Attorney Emil Arguelles
According to Attorney Emil Arguelles this morning proceedings did not require his clients to submit a plea. Arguelles’ objections revolved around the prosecution’s decision to bring forth new charges which [...]

Senior Magistrate Reserves Decision to April 2nd
Then there is the matter of who owns the land in question. Parcel number four-six-seven-zero was acquired by the Government in 2006 but according to Attorney Emil Arguelles, his client [...]

Prisoner’s Lawsuit Against Parole Board is Heard
From the Magistrate Court to the Supreme Court where inmate, Hillaire Sears is suing the Parole Board for breaching his constitutional rights. On December twelfth, 2002, Sears who was twenty-five [...]

Fire destroys Home in Belize City
Fire destroyed a house earlier this evening in Belize City. Shortly after six, flames were seen coming out of a small wooden house in the Faber’s Road Area but the [...]

A Suspected Guatemalan Sailboat is Grounded Near Sapodilla Cayes
A sailing vessel, believed to be captained by Guatemalan fishermen, ran aground on the reef near Sapodilla Caye in the waters of southern Belize.  The Belize Territorial Volunteers set out [...]

How Did Crew of Grounded Vessel Skip Town?
According to Maheia, the proximity of the vessel to the F.O.B. at Hunting Caye makes it near impossible for coastguard personnel stationed on the island not to see it in [...]

John Saldivar on Guatemalans Who Were Granted Belizean Citizenship
But an estimated one hundred and forty-seven thousand persons have reregistered ahead of the March twelfth deadline to vote in the I.C.J. referendum on April tenth. The Elections and Boundaries [...]

Born Belizeans Told “you have not met the qualification as a citizen of Belize’
Some two thousand five hundred voters are not appearing on the voters list for the April tenth referendum. For one reason or the other they were deemed not eligible. This [...]

Elderly man shot during blackout in Belize City
An elderly man was shot on Monday night in Belize City. Police say that around seven-forty, sixty-three-old Gilroy Garnett was walking on Partridge Street when a man approached him and [...]

Belize vs. Guyana; a clash of the Jaguars to qualify for the CONCACAF’s Gold Cup
This Saturday night it will be the clash of the Jaguars as Belize Jaguars and the Guyana Golden Jaguars go head to head to qualify for the CONCACAF Gold Cup. [...]

Guatemalan with firearm busted in southern Belize
A Guatemalan man has been arrested and charged with gun and immigration offences. A B.D.F. Sergeant reported to police that they were conducting operations in the Machaquilha Area in the [...]

A Car Dealer is Acquitted of Possessing a False License
A car dealer was acquitted of possession of an alleged fake dealer’s license. In the courtroom of Justice Collin Williams, Charles Requeña was freed of the charge when the justice [...]

4 Men are Behind bars for Breaking into the Home of a Cop
Four Belize City men who are accused of attempting to break into the home of a police officer and another residence are on remand at the Belize City Central Prison. [...]

Human Skull found in rural Belize
On Thursday, a human skull was found near the Bacab Eco Park off the northern highway. Police say persons working in the area came across the skull just lying on [...]

NTUCB calls out the Police High Command
This evening the National Trade Union Congress of Belize called out the Commissioner of Police, Chester Williams. The N.T.U.C.B. says that it has viewed the apparent public confrontation between Williams [...]

Belize Celebrates World Water Day
Belize has joined the international community in celebrating World Water Day. The day is set aside every year as a means of focusing attention on the importance of freshwater and [...]

FCD Environmental Youth Group signs declaration with partner group in Guatemala
Youths who live along the border communities in Belize and Guatemala got together earlier this month for a bi-national youth exchange. The two-day event was held in Peten, Guatemala where [...]

Amandala

The Special Agreement (Compromis) challenged in court
The Special Agreement (the Compromis) that was signed by Belize’s Foreign Minister, Hon. Wilfred Elrington at the headquarters of the Organization of American States in Washington D.C., in 2008, to submit Guatemala’s claim to Belize to the International Court of Justice (ICJ) has become the subject of a constitutional challenge by parliamentarians of the Opposition, the People’s United Party. The PUP claimants are also asking the court to grant an interim injunction to stop the April 10 ICJ referendum.

PM Barrow presents $1.2 billion budget
Today was budget presentation day on Independence Hill, and Prime Minister and Minister of Finance, Hon. Dean Barrow, presented his 12th appropriation bill to the House of Representatives under the title “Moving Ahead With Strong and Steady Economic Growth; Expansion of Opportunities for Business and Personal Advance; And Rededication to Basic Social Protection.” A large chunk of the 1.2 billion dollars allocated for the fiscal year 2019 to 2020, which begins on April 1, will be spent on the government’s continued infrastructural improvement programs for the construction of new bridges and roads around the country.

Alexander Ruiz, 37, charged for motorcycle crash that killed his friend
Alexander Ruiz, 37, who police say is the main suspect in the murder of Luis Cabrera, 18, which occurred last Wednesday, has so far only been charged for the death of his friend, William Garcia, 32, after the motorcycle on which they had been travelling crashed into a lamppost. Ruiz was arraigned today in the Punta Gorda Magistrate’s Court on charges of driving without due care and attention, causing death by careless conduct, and manslaughter by negligence. He is currently out on bail.

Extradition case against Bahamians crashes in Belize’s Appeal Court
In September 2014, Bahamian nationals Kelvin Leach and Rohn Knowles were the subject of national headlines when their business place, Titan International Securities, located in the Matalon Building on Coney Drive, was raided by Belize law enforcement agents at the behest of agents of the United States Government. Leach and Knowles were carted off to prison on the strength of a United States extradition request to the Belize Government when the US named them, along with several others, in an unsealed indictment alleging that they had committed securities fraud, money laundering and tax fraud in a scheme which stripped the US of $500 million in taxes.

Taiwan asks its allies to support its democracy
Over the years, there have been many occasions on which Belize has received assistance from Taiwan. In many instances, that assistance came in the form of donations, which were given in a variety of ways. Some donations were financial in nature, and were either monetary gifts which did not require repayment, or loans that were granted on lenient terms. Other donations were merchandise or commodities, such as their donation of 10,000 bags of rice last year. Now, Taiwan needs its allies, including Belize, to support its democracy, which is being threatened by mainland China.

Opposition leader blasts Barrow’s budget as “flat and uninspired”
Although the budget debate is set for next Monday and Tuesday, the Leader of the Opposition, Hon. John Briceño, did not wait for debate day; the area representative for Orange Walk Central tore into the budget on Friday at the meeting of the House of Representatives, describing it as “flat and uninspired.” “We know what’s going on with all of these projects; that is why more and more people are referring to this government as the kick-back government. In effect, this is a kick-back budget; there’s nothing for the productive sector, there is nothing for our ordinary citizens of this country.

Rebels, Rumberas and Jewel Fury still undefeated at Week 6 of NAWL Closing Season
Women’s football in Belize is moving forward, and from the looks of things, there will be a few monster clashes come playoff time in the National Amateur Women’s League (NAWL) 2018-2019 Closing Season. Undefeated in the South Group, Jewel Fury has put up some staggering numbers, racking up a total of 47 goals from 6 games, while only conceding 1 goal. (See standings below.) However, another South Group team, Rumberas is also undefeated, holding the defending champions, Jewel Fury to a draw in their first meeting. Only 1 team, Verdes Rebels is presently undefeated in the North Group, but 1 point behind is second place Gladiators, which features the league’s leading goal scorer, 17 year old Kaite Jones.

Cricket Corner special – big-up, Tambow!
Hello, my so humble readers of my cricket column! This week, it is with pleasure that I write about a friend of mine and others, a relative of many; also, one of the best cricketers the Belize River Valley has ever produced. Born and grew up in the beautiful village of Lemonal, his name is Thomas “Tambow” Anthony, one of the River Valley’s or, let’s say Belize’s best bowlers. He started playing cricket from an early age, when we used to make stick balls and coconut bats. As a young man, he started playing with Surprise Cricket Team of his hometown. He was an all-rounder (fielder, batter and bowler).

Ahmadiyya Basketball League’s “Southern Classic” results
The Ahmadiyya Basketball League, (ABL) traveled deep south over the weekend to give an opportunity to the U-23 teams from that region an opportunity to play in front of their home fans. Following are the results from the ABL’s “Southern Classic” games played on Sunday, March 10, and Monday, March 11. On Sunday at the Russell Chiste Garcia Auditorium in Dangriga, it was Dangriga Warriors over Hopkins Invaders, 73-65, in overtime. For Griga – Raheem Thurton 26 pts 4 rebs 1 asst, and Howard Arzu 10 pts 7 rebs 2 blks; and for Hopkins – Nayib Casimiro 19 pts 3 rebs 1 blk 1 stl, and Kirk Castillo 14 pts.

BDF shock Bandits, 2-0; PLB playoff race steaming hot at Week 10
The race to the Top-4 Premier League of Belize (PLB) playoffs is suddenly hotter than it’s ever been, after BDF FC, who only two weeks ago were at the bottom of the standings, shocked defending champions, Bandits Sport with 2 goals in the last 10 minutes of regulation, to grab the astounding 2-nil victory over the Bandits, who suffered their third loss of the season. And just like that, with only 4 weeks remaining in the PLB 2018-2019 Closing Season regular competition, it looks like a “brawl for it all,” as almost all teams, perhaps with the exception of Wagiya, have a realistic chance to make it among the top 4.

Editorial: PM’s legacy, free spending, and abuse of the power disparity
During the period when the Wong Hong Kim scandal and other scandals were rife, Prime Minister Barrow famously, or infamously, declared that he didn’t lead the country with a concern for his legacy. He had a moment when he must have recalled his years in opposition, a period when he championed transparency and accountability at monthly meetings in the House of Representatives in the face of what he called whitéd sepulcher/retirement-plan-for-the-boys’ type corruption in the PUP government. In that moment he wrung his hands and warned that his wayward ministers would cause the downfall of the government. His anguish was brief. He might have considered the spoils he was in charge of, and his memories of being on the other side of the aisle, and possibly he decided to hell with transparency, accountability and decency, it’s all about his party. He has not looked back.

Needed: A referendum – not for ICJ – but for settlement initiatives
Mid-March is here, and to paraphrase the classic Christmas Carol – “Gee Whizz, it’s Referendum Day.” On the 10th April 2019, the Belizeans who received newly-minted Voters ID cards and are on a slimmed-down Voters List will decide whether they approve of putting Guatemala’s claim to the ICJ for determination or not. It is a turning point in our history akin to the 1979 General Election where one of the dominant issues of that day was whether to proceed forward with Independence or not. Belize’s national emblem on our flag proclaims “sub umbra floreo” – “under the shade we flourish,” but the shadow of the Guatemalan claim has been stifling and anything but fertile due to many problems stemming from lack of adequate co-operation, which has been inhibited by the everpresent claim.

Dehn send bwai to do man job
Everyone saw PM Barrow batting at the Business Forum for government underlings who were verbally checked by a judge. The judge reportedly had no concern for their precious lee human feelings. My, I just can’t grasp this age we are living in. Bah, all the fret these days is about women, and children, and young people. Really, I think the PM’s sympathy is misplaced. On this matter, my tears are for the judges. I can’t imagine the extent of their disappointment when the government sends pups to court to fight big money cases. A judge must put in hours and hours of preparation, and their anticipation before a big money case must be like the fever in an athlete before a big game.

Two men severely chopped in Caye Caulker
Two brothers were hospitalized after they were severely chopped and stabbed on Caye Caulker on Thursday night, March 14. The incident occurred sometime around 6 p.m. According to police reports, the men, Julian “Tito” Rosado and Lahji Rosado, ages unknown, had gotten in an argument with another man who was armed with a knife and a machete, and who inflicted several serious injuries to the men. Julian was chopped several times in the head and body, and his middle finger on his left hand was severed, while Lahji was stabbed three times in the neck and back.

Fake cops rob gas station
On Sunday, March 10, thieves dressed in police uniforms targeted PUMA Gas Station at Mile 1 and 1/2 on the Philip Goldson Highway. According to police, the only difference between the clothing worn by the thieves and an officer’s uniform were the pants they wore, which were not identical to those used by police officers. The incident occurred just before 5 p.m. The two thieves entered the gas station and demanded to speak to the manager, and then forced their way into the manager’s office. They then ordered the manager to open the safe that was in the office.

Elderly man killed in hit-and-run in Belmopan
63-year-old Pablo Hernandez lost his life after a hit-and-run driver knocked him down last night, March 17. Just before 7 p.m., Hernandez was riding his bicycle on the Hummingbird Highway, inside Belmopan City limits, when a red Honda CRV hit him from behind in front of Caribbean Chicken and the driver did not stop to render aid. When police canvassed the scene, they found debris from the car and put out an alert to look out for the vehicle.

The Reporter

Trinidad Alert – Causes Confusion In Belize – Similar Uniform
A valid ALERT from police in Trinidad & Tobago has somehow been mistaken for an Alert made in Belize, which prompted the Belize Police Department to issue the following public notice. The Police Department Belize would like to advise the public that this image and message which is currently being shared on FB and in chat groups and causing some concern is not local and has no relation to anything happening in Belize.

The End Of The World
By Mike Rudon Jr. – This week, the world ended. You probably didn’t know about it because it wasn’t posted on Facebook. For almost half a day, incredibly, nobody was able to post anything on Facebook. Nobody could exchange pictures, or memes on Whatsapp. Even Instagram, which I have no clue about, was affected. Panic reigned over the land. People walked around like zombies.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Sailboat found abandoned on the reef by Belize Territorial Volunteers
The Belize Territorial Volunteers (BTV) reported today that a sailboat ran aground on the Southern reef […]

Robert Alfaro charged for fatal hit and run in Belmopan
Las Flores resident, Robert Alfaro was charged today for the hit and run accident that claimed […]

Will it be Yes or No to the ICJ?
On April 10, 2019, Belizeans will participate in a historic national referendum and decide whether or […]

Be on the lookout for Bell’s Palsy
The Physical Therapy Department at the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital (KHMH) has seen a rise in […]

Said Musa celebrates 75th birthday
Former Prime Minister of Belize, Said Musa, is celebrating turning 75 years old today Musa, […]

Iguana poachers observed killing iguanas in Bullet Tree Village
Stew iguana, white rice and iguana eggs are a delicacy in Belize. Many Belizeans pay top […]

Democracy Antagonizing Itself
By Dr. Gerald Zuniga. Obviously, democracy exist because it is our intention as human beings to make it exist. Some human beings, however, I may say, since we have observed it […]

Elections and Boundaries in third phase of issuing Voter ID cards
. The Elections and Boundaries Department is informing electors that the third phase for the issuance […]

Belizean Musa Shaheed chosen to serve on Interim Directorate for Caribbean Festival of Arts
The Caribbean Community (CARICOM) Secretariat has invited Belize’s Musa Shaheed to serve as a Member of […]

Elections and Boundaries delivering Voters ID cards to villages
The Elections and Boundaries Department informs electors that Elections and Boundaries personnel will be distributing identification […]

National Security Minister explains issue of granting citizenship to Guatemalan nationals
Leading up to Belize’s National Referendum on April 10, 2019, proponents of the ‘Yes’ and ‘No’ […]

No murder charges for Alexander Ruiz
Police have charged Alexander Ruiz, the man accused of the fatal stabbing of eighteen-year-old Luis Cabrera […]

Mason’s attorney wants better treatment for him in prison
Herbert Panton, attorney for accused murderer William “Danny” Mason and his four co-accused, says that he […]

Police: Elderly man drowns at Mennonite Beach
Minutes after 11 on Friday night, San Ignacio police were called to Mennonite Beach in the […]

Who is to blame for Belize’s high external debt?
The total national debt has risen to just over 3.6 billion dollars, about 94% of the […]

Erneldo Cruz accused of obtaining electronic items by deception
A Belize City teacher is accusing 31-year-old Erneldo Feliciano Cruz of promising to repair various electronic […]

Man and his pregnant wife walk free from gun charges
Yesterday, a couple from Belize City walked free from gun charges. Twenty -five-year-old Derrick Ramirez,originally of […]

Authorities investigate cocaine bust in San Pedro Town
In an interview with the media yesterday, Commissioner of Police Chester Williams said that the Belize […]

Police to destroy almost 50 lbs of cocaine found in San Pedro
On Sunday afternoon, police in San Pedro conducted a search in the area and found 20 […]

COMPOL inaugurates renovated cellblock at Queen Street Police Station
Yesterday, Commissioner of Police, Chester Williams along with CEO in Ministry of National Security, George Lovell […]

LOVE FM

Belize Jaguars headed to Guyana win!
The Belize National Football Team, the Jaguars is leaving the country today to play a game against Guyana on Saturday, 23rd March. The team flies out today and they will stay overnight in Panama on their way fulfill their Gold Cup dreams. On Wednesday they start their training at the sporting facility through Friday in …

Senate Report on Nationality Scandal Soon Complete
The Senate Special Select Committee held public inquiries n the Auditor General’s Special Audit Report of the Immigration and Nationality Department for the period 2011 to 2013. The Committee was charged to investigate allegations of corruption cited in the Auditor General’s Special Audit Report after prominent cases such as Wong Hon Kim, the man who …

Belize monitors dengue situation
The Ministry of Health is closely monitoring the number of dengue cases in Belize. While there is no outbreak in the country, the ministry is keeping a close eye on the situation at home since there is a projection for a more active season in 2019. Kim Bautista of the Vector Control Unit explains. Kim …

New rules at House of Representatives
The Speaker of the House, Laura Longsworth, is changing protocol at the House of Representatives and implementing some new regulations which she says was prompted after a security scare some weeks ago. She made the announcement at the start of the Budget presentation last Friday. Laura Longsworth Speaker of the House: “We are moving ahead …

Police accused of infringing on rights of mentally disabled man
There is another case of human rights violations to report tonight. The accusation is being made against the police. Human rights defender, Elisa Castellanos is no stranger to the media as she has taken on several human rights cases before and recently was at the lead of a case at the Hague Convention and won, …

COMPOL Believes PG Strategy on Crime is Working
At the beginning of March Commissioner of Police Chester Williams officiated a town hall style meeting in Punta Gorda with residents to discuss the increase in violent crime. Prior to that in late February, the Commissioner indicated that gang involvement in criminal activities in the south appeared to be on the rise. Special units were …

The PUP will Fight the Referendum (in Court)
April 10 is the date set for the referendum and the Peoples United Party is seeking an injunction to postpone the referendum. The application was heard last week Friday morning before Chief Justice, Kenneth Benjamin. Leader of the Opposition, John Briceno made the case on behalf of the PUP on Friday evening. Leader of the …

Blogs

Best places to drink in Placencia, Belize
From wine bars and bitters stands to beach bashes and renowned restaurants, your guide for where to find the best sips on this tropical peninsula. Placencia, a laid-back village on Belize’s Central Coast, is far from a party town, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t places to indulge between stints on the beach.

International Sourcesizz

Occoquan mayor, friends endure Belize canoe race for a cause
A bit sunburned, a bit beat up and a bit exhausted, “Team Occoquan-Prince William” recently completed the grueling four-day, 170-mile “Belikin La Ruta Maya Belize River Challenge” for a good cause. Occoquan Mayor Earnie Porta learned about the race after a trip to Belize. He wanted to do it but needed to find two others willing to jump in a canoe and paddle down in the longest canoe-endurance race in Central America. “I thought it would be a cool thing to do and researched it for a while,” Porta said.

VIU Graduate Student Hopes to Influence Indigenous Learning in Belize
VIU Master of Education in Educational Leadership student Miriam Juarez is researching how to incorporate more Maya culture and perspectives into the curriculum taught in her home country of Belize. Inspired by the ways Vancouver Island University (VIU) has worked with First Nations to bring Indigenous ways of knowing and being into many of its programs and courses, international graduate student Miriam Juarez hopes to bring Maya culture into the classrooms in her home country of Belize. Juarez, who is Maya, worked for six years in the first rural high school in the Toledo District in southern Belize, which is the least developed region in the country.

Local ladies fundraise for Belize boy’s surgery
Local women are raising funds for a 15-year-old’s surgery. Whitecourt residents Laurie Havens and Kim Ferraro are hosting a paint night fundraiser this Saturday at Graham Acres Golf Course for the neurosurgery of Brazil’s Jamil Reyes. The two women ended up in the hospital after arriving in Belize City on Feb. 12, where they picked up their rental car. Due to carbon monoxide poisoning, they didn’t make it to their resort in Placencia, said Havens.

SAFA GAW shares his home country of Belize in new video for "SouthSide
Belize and Bronx-raised artist Safa Gaw is back with a new visual for "SouthSide," the first single from his forthcoming album. Speaking more on the creation of the video, he explains: "'Southside' is the first single on the [forthcoming] album, so I decided to shoot a video for it. I flew to Belize with two friends and my camera man to shoot the video, but we ended up shooting three more videos in that one trip. I lived [in Belize] for the first 10 years of my life, so this trip was special - especially being able to go back home and create content to show the rest of the world what it's like in Belize." Watch as Safa Gaw takes viewers on a journey through his home country:

Belize: Government launches public finance management project with EU assistance
The Belize government says it has launched a three-year project aimed at improving the Public Finance Management (PFM) system in the country. It said that the Euro 1.1 million (One Euro=US$1.29 cents) project will end in February 2022 and is being funded by the European Union under the 11th European Development Fund (EDF).

‘Bad Boy’ Shyne Now In Politics
The first show in Buju Banton’s Long Walk To Freedom tour demonstrates that life after incarceration can be fulfilling. When the recently released artiste stood centre-stage before a packed stadium, picking up right where he left off, there was at least one audience member witnessing Gargamel’s return who has experienced similar circumstances. Rapper-turned-ambassador Moses Michael Leviy, popularly known as Shyne, told The Gleaner that having been deported to his homeland after serving time in prison, he is now running for the House of Representatives in Belize.

Johnson feels Golden Jaguars poised to create history
Guyana Golden Jaguars Head-Coach Michael Johnson is adamant that his charges are well equipped and adequately prepared to create history against Belize on Saturday in the CONCACAF Nations League. Guyana will faceoff with the Central American side at the National Track and Field Centre, Leonora in a must-win encounter.

McAfee Founder Must Pay $25M Over Belize Neighbor's Death
A Florida federal judge ruled Tuesday that John McAfee, founder of the eponymous cybersecurity software company, must pay more than $25 million in damages in a wrongful death suit accusing McAfee...

Videos

• Fire Season coming, 6min. Noticing a lot of wildfires around recently? Well, the days are getting hotter and drier, and Fire Season is just around the corner. Last year, we learned how the Department of Environment and NEMO prepare for the season. Here's a look back on that story.

• National Football A Team Conference, 24min.

• Mapping the Guatemalan Claim: a News Five Flashback, 1hr49min.

• Intro to [#%!] Talkshow, 23min.

• The 'ICJ Referendum' is now just three weeks away!, 64min. Tonight our panel includes Ambassador Dylan Vernon who will break down Belize's path to victory at the ICJ. Ambassador Vernon will also be tackling some of the Frequently Asked Questions!

• GCC ZIP LINE BELIZE 2019, 9min. Carnival Cruise march 2019 Zip Line Belize

• BELIZE'S MARION JONES SPORTING COMPLEX!, 6.5min. Belize's Marion Jones Sporting Complex named after the renowned African-American and Belizean-American athletes Marion Jones celebrates the greatest of Belize as fierce competitor in athletics. Belize became one of the most profound athletic Caribbean and Central American countries in the Caribbean and Central American Track & Field in the 1960s and 70s. It produced legendary Belizean sprinters like, Sonny Meighan, Colin Thurton, Clyde "Chuku" Young, Fred Evans, Father Henry, Harrison Pilgrim, Ernest Morris, Ernest Clare, Maurice Jones, Jude Lizama, Michael Hyde and many others. They had performed on natural ability.

• Belize District Primary School Festival of Arts Mar. 19, 2019 Bird's Isle Belize City, 2hr40min.