Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#53546 05/30/02 12:41 PM
P
P
Safe Sea is the way to go. I got stung from Pica Picas in Turks 2 years ago and it wasn't pleasant. I wore a shortie and got stung all around my neck. Since then, been using Safe Sea and it helps. Vinegar on the stings helps, but then you smell like a giant pickle.

#53547 05/30/02 12:51 PM
B
B
Good Point Rebel -- I certainly don't claim to be a scientist and don't have any "scientific proof" to back up rebel's statement, but logically speaking, since marine life does not usually exist in water that has even minute concentrations of oil, I can't see how adding oils to the water (in any form) will benefit the reef!
Think about how much damage oil spills do to marine life and scale that down to what may be affected by multiple snorklers adding vasoline and oils to the water. Surely it won't do as MUCH damage as an oil spill, but repeated use by multiple people over time may eventually be harmful to the sea life.
Just something to keep in mind before slathering up with products that could potentially wreck something that is not only precious to the environment but beautiful to look at. Why take that chance if there are products (presumably like "sea safe") that won't create the risk?
Anyone have any proof that sun oils and vasoline DON'T harm marine life? The question goes both ways.........

#53548 05/30/02 01:13 PM
hmmm. and it is expensive. $13 for 4 oz.

i am worried...we will be in AC is less than 2 weeks. should i assume they will still be there? or do the larve grow by then? HELP! (man, and i finally thought i outsmarted the 'skeeters, now this.)

#53549 05/30/02 02:34 PM
Susangg - I am sorry that I can not post any sites or quote any research authorities. My concern and desire to reply was born of restrictions I have seen in other coral reef ecosystems that had large and increasing human impact. That being said - it does make sound common sense to minimize our impact on any place in nature to the best of our abilities. You need to only look at the impact we have made everywhere else. I apologize for the lack of cold hard scientific data on this subject and my intent was not to trivialize this pica pica phenomenon. I simply wish to urge everyone to tread lightly wherever they go - especially the beautiful and extremely fragile spots such as the reef.

#53550 05/30/02 02:53 PM
well said!

Vaseline is a petroleum product and as such should be used with caution where "living" reef is concerned. That's just common sense and good "reef manners".

#53551 05/30/02 03:00 PM
it does seem to make sense to me...but how do i keep my kids safe in the water? it this safesea stuff safe for the reef?

AND...will it still be there in 14 days?

#53552 05/30/02 03:49 PM
B
B
you can check this link for some more info: www.dermadoctor.com/branddetail.asp?ID=141&AID=1088
Since it's created from natural proteins taken from sea creatures, it would seem logical that it would be safer for the environment than any oil based products.........
don't know anything about the lifecycle of pica pica, but maybe an online search would provide more detailed info on how long they'll be in the water.

#53553 05/30/02 04:47 PM
i sent them an email too...we'll see if it is answered.

#53554 05/30/02 05:47 PM
GP Offline
I too have read stories about sunscreen and reef damage. I know that some areas below Cancun ban the use of these products in specific areas. I will check my links to see if I can get some info for you guys

GP

#53555 05/30/02 06:26 PM
Let's get real here people. If you want to talk about polution and environmental damage, there is problably more done by the sewage and garbage created, the dredging to make the beach, the motors to run the compressors to fill tanks, the oils and polutants pumped from the bildges of the boats that take out divers and bring the things needed to the island for their one week vacation than a diver could do in a lifetime of puting on sunscreen before diving. If you are THAT environmentaly concerned, maybe your aquatic vacation should consist of driving your electric car to Sea World. For those of you who aren't, protect yourself from the pica pica, enjoy your vacation and concentrate your efforts in areas that can make a real difference.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (dabunk), 257 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,470
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.