This past week I was invited to the Toucan B Room of the Best Western Plus/ Biltmore Plaza in Belize City along with other press to witness a historic event: the Government of Belize signed a milestone Memorandum of Understanding (or M.O.U) preserving Memorandums of Understanding.

This was a watershed moment for Belize exercising her sovereignty.

Back in February of this year, President of the United States Donald Trump (while in the midst of trade negotiations with China) declared that the U.S. should not enter into MOUs going forward.

ďI donít like MOUs because they donít mean anything. To me they donít mean anything. I think youíre better off just going into a document. I was neverÖa fan of an MOU,Ē Trump said.

This very declaration Ė the prospect of the US not embracing or recognizing MOUs immediately sent shock waves throughout Belize.

Though a young country, Belize already has a proud history of MOUís (brought to the signing table by BOTH political parties I should add). These MOUís construct the unshakable foundation on which Belize, and certainly tourism, is built.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos in the San Pedro Scoop