FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and other specials

The San Pedro Sun

Armed Robbery in San Pedro Town
Police are investigating an armed robbery, which occurred on Saturday, April 6th in the San Pablo Area. According to a police report, 58-year-old Carlos Jex, Manager of A.C Construction reported that around 3PM, he was in his office when two male persons stormed in his office with their faces covered. One of them was armed with a firearm and proceeded to rob him of $20,000 Belize dollars. Jex told police that the money stolen was the day's payroll for the workers.

Argentinian fugitive Alberto Samid’s family arrives in San Pedro Town
The family of 71-year-old Alberto Samid, the Argentinian fugitive who remains detained at the San Pedro Town’s police station, arrived to the island today, Sunday, April 7th. Samid’s wife Marisa Scaravíaand son, Jose Samid arrived in San Pedro shortly after midday, and before checking into a hotel, made their way to the police station on Pescador Drive. After being unable to see Samid, they left the station, took a taxi and headed south of town. His son briefly spoke to The San Pedro Sun, saying that they would be back on Monday, April 8th to try once again to speak with Samid and find out whether he will be expelled from Belize or not. He also said that they are looking to hire a lawyer, claiming that his dad is not getting proper treatment at the station, adding that his dad has health complications.

Letter to the Editor: Spring Equinox
Dear Editor, Ah, Spring has arrived. And those who attended the Spring Equinox event at Marco Gonzalez Archaeological Reserve enjoyed quite a show to celebrate it! The Board of Directors of MGMSAC, Ltd, thank all of you for your attendance, sponsorship, volunteerism and hard work. We hope you had a wonderful time. We hope those of you who came for the first time learned about your island Maya heritage and will return with other family and friends to experience more. The site belongs to you and Belize to share and protect for your children.

Wolfe’s Woofer: Art Gallery
“Here’s a list of things for you to pick for me while you’re in town,” Sherry said, as I was leaving. “You must think I’m stupid,” I said. “This list only has three things on it; bread milk and cheese. I don’t need it.” “I asked you to pick up the same three things last week and you forgot the milk,” she pointed out. “All right,” I said. “Give me the list. I’m going to visit Melody at her art gallery first, though.”

Letter to the Editor: Traffic
Dear Editor, Every day that I walk around town I see irresponsible drivers speeding. Everybody complains about the amount of golf carts coming to the island, but when anybody is driving, they seem to forget that there are pedestrians. Just the other day I was driving, and I overheard a tourist yelling at his wife/girlfriend "Get out of the way before they run you over!" as he pulled her by her arm. Of course, I was taking my time cruising with my wife beside me and my golf cart engine wasn't revving, and I am sure I heard him correctly, and there was no other golf cart in front of me. I have repeatedly watched as couples (sometimes with children) wait for the vehicles to pass (taxis too.... they don't give a darn...). If you take a walk you will seldom see drivers giving pedestrians the go ahead, everybody is in such a rush.

Doctor Love: Forbidden Love
Dear Doctor Love, When is it okay to have a crush on a married man? He’s not handsome or charming but he is sweet and funny, and he always smiles at me when he sees me. I wouldn’t think like this, but his wife is so mean to him. She talks about him like he’s the worst man in the world and never says anything nice. When he comes around, she snaps at him about things that are just silly. Even when she yells at him, he never says anything mean back. I can only imagine what she is like when they are alone.

Ambergris Today

Masked Armed Men Get Away With $20,000 Robbery
Official Police reports indicate that on Saturday, April 6, 2019, Carlos Jex 58-year-old, manager of A.C. Construction in San Pedro Town, reported to police that about 3:00 p.m., that he was robbed of the company’s payroll for the workers. Jex reported that wo male persons entered his office with their faces covered, one armed with a firearm, proceeded to rob him of $20,000.00Bze. A.C. Construction is located on Coconut Drive, on the lower flat of the new Casa Picasso Restaurant; no injuries were reported and police are investigating.

Misc Belizean Sources

mzz

Ministry of National Security Provides Update on Belizeans Detained in Guatemala
he Ministry of National Security (MNS) has confirmed, through Belize’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs, that a member of the Belize Police Department, Police Constable Fabián Laurie, and a Coast Guard Officer Seaman Pedro Colomer along with two civilians Kevin Hernández and Jerille Laurie were detained by police in Livingston, Guatemala yesterday, April 6th, 2019. The four Belizean men were arrested and charged for possession of firearms and ammunition without a license. It is unclear at this time what the men were doing in Guatemala but the MNS can confirm that neither of the two officers was on official duties at the time when they were arrested. All four men were transferred to the main prison in Puerto Barrios where they are awaiting trial.

Huge Success Belize Special Olympics Family Fun Run 2019

Clean up campaign in Ranchito, Village, Corozal!
Thanks to all the partners who participated (Adventist Volunteers, personnel from the Ministry of Health, Community Health workers, Village Council and Ranchito community members! The support to the Belize Red Cross ZIKA Project team of staff and Corozal Branch Volunteers is well appreciated. Job well done!

Let's Support ESTM's Ambassador Marching Band
Coming with something unique and new ESTM Ambassador's Marching Band say they're bringing something you'll really enjoy at this year's bandfest2019 ! Vote to make ESTM Ambassador's Marching Band the most popular band by texting "11 " to 22637 (Digi) OR 8946 (SMART) . Voting ends at midnight on Friday, April 12.

Tragedy in Cristo Rey, Corozal
Reports coming to this media blog is that the Corrales Family from Cristo Rey has lost everything in a fire. These are preliminary reports. We will follow this sad breaking story.

Belmopan Public Library Refurbishment
The Tek Time fi Read youths teamed up with the Rotary Club of Belmopan to refurbish the Belmopan Public Library. Looking good. Reading is the key. "The 'Tek Time fi Read' youth wanted to give the Belmopan Public Library a make-over to make it more colorful, bright, and welcoming to children. The librarians were excited to work with us and we had a great time making it happen. Here are the before and after pictures of the results. Thank you Rotary Club of Belmopan for the materials and the Rotaract Club of Belmopan for doing the outside. Thank you to Lonnie Wall for building the awesome tree and A & R for the new builtin board."

Bio-monitoring for this scarlet macaw breeding season has started
Anyone interested in volunteering for a week or two please contact us at [email protected]

NUKUX TAT
The Nukux Tat is a powerful spirit which protects the jungle and animals. He is also known as Tata Duende or el Dueño del monte. Maya elders in northern Belize always ask permission to the Nukux Tat before entering the bush to hunt or get fire wood. Also the Nukux Tat is invoked for protection while in the bush from bad air or bad spirits. Many Yucatec Maya in northern Belize also do a Primicia called Hetz Lu'um which is done for the prosperity of the land . During this ritual it is asked to the Nukux Tat and the Alux(Aluxo'ob) for protection from the K'aak'as Iik'( bad breeze ) which is believe to damage the land and those who inhabit them including human and animals. It is believed the Nukux Tat can transform into animals or even someone you know . SO DO NOT MAKE THE NUKUX TAT MAD .

Live Comedy with Brad Reeder!
Wednesday, April 10, 2019 at 8:30 PM – 10 PM, pin Iguana Juan's Restaurant & Bar. Join us for a night of laughter with our professional comedy show starring Brad Reeder, seen on TV's Showtime, Comedy Central and Last Comic Standing. Brad has opened for Jay Leno, Jerry Seinfeld and Ellen Degeneres, and he has headlined regularly in Las Vegas and Atlantic City.

Coordinators of our coral nursery program, Fara Stephany Maza Brittney Garbutt
Our conservation work is all about our future generations and we are proud to introduce you to the coordinators of our coral nursery program, Fara Stephany Maza Brittney Garbutt. These young ladies learnt to scuba dive as part of our Kids in Action program and are now starting their career in marine biology. They will be working with our members and industry partners and we expect that our nurseries program grows as they advance with their education. This inspires us more to keep our conservation programs going and we commit to provide them with all the resources and support. Join us in celebrating their future success as they commence training and lots of hard work ahead.

Channel 5

Robbers Net $20K of Company’s Payroll
At around three o’clock yesterday evening, the manager of A.C Construction in San Pedro Town was robbed at gunpoint. Police report that two men entered the establishment and robbed the manager of $20, 000 which was the day’s payroll. The men’s faces were covered.

Belizean Law Enforcement Officers Detained by Guatemalan Authorities
According to ElPuertoInforma.com, four Belizeans were detained by Guatemalan police on Saturday night. They are thirty-four year old Kevin Edwin Hernandez, twenty-five-year-old Coast Guard officer Pedro Colome, twenty-eight-year-old Jerille Jerome Laurie, and thirty-three-year-old police officer, Fabian Laurie. The men were arrested while in the neighborhood of Marcos Sánchez Díaz, Livingston, Izabal. The National Civil Polic reports that the men caused a ruckus at a hotel while under the influence of alcohol. The men, according to the article, were in possession of a 12 gauge shotgun with three live rounds, a Smith and Wesson pistol, and sixty-nine rounds of ammunition. The men reportedly were not able to produce a license for the firearms and ammunition and as such were arrested.

Belize City Graphic Designer Robbed
Belize City resident, twenty-six-year-old Ruhiel Trejo was reportedly robbed of more than three thousand dollars worth of items. Trejo told police that as he exited his mother's residence at around 1:15 p.m. on Friday, he was accosted by two male persons. One of the men was armed with a firearm. The duo robbed Trejo of a black Apple I phone 7+, and two thousand dollars in cash. Police are investigating.

Scuffle Leaves San Ignacio Man Wounded
On Friday night, San Ignacio Police were called out to the Bioton Area on the Goerge Price Highway. There they saw fifty-two-year-old Daniel Castellanos with apparent wounds on is head. Police say that Castellanos was at home socializing with one Marco Perez when they reportedly got into an argument. Marco, it is alleged, inflicted the wounds on Castellanos with the use of a machete. Police are investigating.

Carmelita VIllager Shot in Belize City
Twenty-two-year-old Oswald Warrior is recuperating today after he was shot on Friday night. Police confirmed that the Carmelita Village resident was on Sarstoon Street in Belize City when about 7:15 p.m. he was approached by a man who pulled out a firearm and fired a single shot in Warrior's direction. He was shot in the cheek. Warrior was taken to the KHMH for treatment.

The Reporter

Lisa Shoman Threatened
Since her decision to represent the Government of Belize in the case brought on by the People’s United Party (PUP), Senior Counsel Lisa Shoman has come under a series of online attacks, one of which even suggested that she is guilty of treason – the penalty for which is death!

Mistress Of The Brief !
By Major Lloyd Jones – The Barrow administration pulled out all the stops on March 27th to try and convince the Belizean people that they should vote YES on April 10th. They gleefully introduced a legal opinion of the 2001 legal opinion which was done by one of the very authors of the said 2001 opinion: a Mr. Schwebel.

Belize City Man Shot To The Face, Survives
Oswald Warrior, 22, a resident of Carmelita Village in Orange Walk continues to recover at the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital in Belize City from a gunshot wound to the left side of his face. Warrior was shot around 7:20 p.m. on May 4th while walking on Sarstoon Street in Belize City.

Belizeans Arrested In Livingston, Guatemala
Two members of Belize’s security forces along with two other Belizeans are currently in the custody of Guatemalan authorities after they were allegedly found with illegal firearms in Guatemala on Saturday night.

Orchid Bay developers refute allegations made by buyers
Following outcry from several purchasers regarding the status of their transactions with Orchid Bay in northern Belize, the developer of the project, Legacy Global Developments has informed the Reporter that there were indeed “shortfalls” under the previous management of the development but said the current team has been working diligently to rectify all issues identified since taking over the project in 2016.

Blogs

Lessons I’ve Learned After 5 Years in Belize
I originally moved from cold Cleveland, Ohio, to Placencia, Belize, five years ago. My husband and I moved down to Placencia to build a boutique hotel on the beach. Five years later, we have opened a second small hotel in San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, and we are lucky enough to split our time between both places, which are very different and offer unique benefits. (Although you’ll find most expats have a strong preference for one or the other!) No matter where you live in Belize, there are some things that are the same. And after a solid five years here, these are the top three things I have learned: It is very, very freeing to get away from the materialistic values in North America. In Belize, there is almost no materialism, and people are not judged by what they own, have, drive, or wear. In fact it looks strange and out of place to see fancy cars, shoes, bags, etc.

New Belikin Store Opens In San Pedro
We’ve been watching it come together for the last few months. The store front just across from the Tropic Air terminal, in downtown San Pedro, transform into The Belikin Store. Hopefully selling all the Belikin merchandise that until now, wasn’t available to the public. Like the Belikin bandanas…and the Belikin signs. Belize lovers and man cave dwellers rejoice! Friday April 6th was opening day – and I stopped in to take a look. But let me back up a bit… Belikin is THE beer of Belize. Not the first…but for many years, the only beer available nationwide. It’s a brand synonymous with Belize.

International Sourcesizz

Former Pm Ingraham Heads Commonwealth Group To Belize
FORMER Prime Minister Hubert Ingraham is now in Belize where he heads a 10-member Commonwealth Observer Group to observe the April 10 referendum to decide the territorial claims between Belize and Guatemala. #The question of the proposed referendum is: “Do you agree that any legal claim of Guatemala against Belize relating to land and insular territories and to any maritime areas pertaining to these territories should be submitted to the International Court of Justice for final settlement and that it determine finally the boundaries of the respective territories and areas of the parties?”

Ancient Maya crop fields discovered in Mexico using LIDAR technology
Under wetlands in southern Mexico, archeologists have found evidence of ancient Maya crop fields which were broadly used and constituted the base of a sophisticated market economy. The Maya civilization was a Mesoamerican civilization developed by the Maya peoples in an area that encompasses southeastern Mexico, all of Guatemala, and Belize, as well as western portions of Honduras and El Salvador. The most ancient evidence of the Maya civilization dates back to 1,800 B.C. However, most Maya cities flourished between the years 250 and 900 of our time.

5 Top Diving Sites In The World For Amazing Diving Experience
If you are an adventurist, then diving must be there in your checklist. It is full of so much of fun, thrill and excitement that you get to know only after experience this venturesome activity. Willing to explore the world’s best diving sites? We are here to help you out. The Blue Hole, Belize: It is an utterly surreal experience to witness live and diving in the Blue Hole is more thrilling than it used to be in images and videos. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime experience that will inevitably leave you spell-bounded. Though it hardly has any wildlife (nothing except a few sharks), but diving here is amazing.

Videos

• I.C.J. Referendum: If Not April Tenth, When?, 5min. As you heard, attorneys for P.U.P. parliamentarians and the Government went before the Court of Appeal this afternoon for case management ahead of arguments on Monday. To put things in perspective, News Five’s Isani Cayetano looks back at the interim injunction granted on Wednesday by the Chief Justice which has triggered another round of legal challenges.

• 20TH BEL JUNIOR CROSS COUNTRY CLASSIC, 4hr.

• Game of Thrones Theme - Ascenthium, 2min. Ascenthium was given the green light by HBO to cover the Game of Thrones Theme song. Definitely worth a listen or 2. Well done, and done in under 3 days. There's even a horse in there.

• Skydiving into the Blue Hole, 8.5min.

• Going to the top Tiger Fern Trail in Belize, 5.5min. Tiger Fern Trail in Cockscomb Basin Wildlife Sanctuary in Belize.

• Landing in Placencia, Belize, .5min.

• Lamanai, Belize, 14min. Lamanai is a Mesoamerican archaeological site, and was once a major city of the Maya civilization, located in the north of Belize, in Orange Walk District.

• Nude ish Branch in Belize, 2min. My brother found this nude ish branch (Nudibranch) while he was scuba diving off the coast of Belize.

• PLB Closing Season | Verdes FC vs Bandits SC | Live at the Norman Broaster Stadium, San Ignacio, Cayo, 2.5hr.