FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and other specials

The San Pedro Sun

Wolfe’s Woofer: History
“Eight ball in the corner pocket,” Vernon said, before sinking it neatly. He chalked up his pool cue and said, “Where’s Mario tonight, anyway. He’s usually not late.” Me, Mario, Vernon, Juan, and Moises make up the Nosénada Club. We meet at a local bar twice a week for what we call our pool or darts tournament. Nosénada translates roughly as “I Know Nothing.” If a wife calls for us, the other members admit to knowing nothing. “Maybe he’s studying,” Moises said. “Remember, he signed up to finish classes so he can get his high school diploma.”

Letter to the Editor: The garbage is keeping tourists away
Hi, I am in Canada, have never been to Belize. I am researching a trip to the Caribbean with friends right now and came across news articles about the garbage. Up until recent in the internet the pictures of Ambergris Caye and Belize have been pictures of paradise. Sickening to see the real today pictures now of garbage and slum life no one wants to travel to and zero concern for the environment. I had actually heard comments from some people who had been there, and I thought they were exaggerating. I see now they were not. They are warning people not to travel to Belize. Not only will I never go there now or my friends, but the word is spreading fast about the filth.

Doctor Love: Hand Enough
My husband snores like a freight train, and I have dealt with interrupted sleep for years. I mentioned separate bedrooms, and he got worried. Will it kill our love-life to sleep in different rooms? /s/ Sleepless in San Pedro Dear Sleepless Before slipping off to the spare room, research snoring aids and give them all a try. If they fail, turn date night into a sexy invitation to your bedroom—or his bedroom. Or any room that takes your fancy.

Misc Belizean Sources

mzz

Sarteneja Easter Regatta Fest 2019
April 21, 9am until...

Orchid Bay Easter Bash 2019
April 21, 10am-8pm.

Sarteneja, Corozal Looks Spiffy
If this kid can do it, so can you. For the past couple of weeks, a host of Sartenejaňos and expat residents have been involved in mega clean up activities and the installation of more decorated waste containers around the village. Villagers and residents alike have volunteered to pick up and empty, on a rotation basis, the decorated waste containers that dot our beautiful village.The clean up campaign and involvement of the community has been immense, leading to our Easter Regatta activities that will be taking place this coming weekend. Sarteneja is extending a warm and open arm welcome to all visitors, residents, neighbours, sisters and brothers to visit our wonderful and peaceful village this holiday Easter weekend and to experience our culture and our world famous Easter Regatta.

BEL WARNING
Belize Electricity Limited cautions the public that a false statement is circulating on social media that mockingly announces a power outage. DO NOT SHARE! DO NOT REPOST!

Boca Del Rio Grand Opening & Family Day
20 photos

Band Fest 2019
The BTB is a proud sponsor of Band Fest 2019, which took place in Orange Walk Town this Saturday at the People's Stadium. 11 bands performed, with Benque Viejo Band emerging as this year's champions!

Happy 5th Birthday to the Inspiration Center!
The establishment of the Inspiration Center was a huge step forward for our community’s development and the last five years have definitely been filled with impactful services and a hope for much more to be achieved. Currently serving around 479 children each month, this haven has the potential to expand and reach many more children and families. Thank you to the board of executive directors, staff and volunteers at the Inspiration Center who continue to work hard in ensuring that no child is left behind! Again, to all who made it possible and continue to make it possible - thank you from all of us! The Inspiration Center

The Reporter

DEMOLISHED!!!!
The Barrow administration was handed yet another crushing legal defeat at the Court of Appeal on April 8th; the second such defeat in less than a week. The Barrow administration’s seemingly unstoppable referendum locomotive was firstly derailed on April 3rd when the Chief Justice [CJ] granted an interim injunction to what is effectively the PUP. Although the PUP was not a Claimant per se, all the Claimants are leaders of the PUP.

Kaya Cattouse Wins 30th Female Cross Country Cycling Race
Kaya Cattouse, veteran female rider from the C-Ray Cycling team bested a field of 10 other riders to snag this year’s 30th Annual Female Cross Country Cycling Classic today. After 70 grueling miles from in front of the Colombus Park in San Ignacio Town, Cayo, Kaya Cattouse, crossed the finish line on Newtown Barracks in Belize City first. Alicia Thompson was second.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

1 man rushed to hospital after shooting in Lords Bank
ur newsroom has received reports of a shooting in the Belize District. It occurred late last night in Lords Bank, Belize. According to reports, one person received injuries and was transported to the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital for treatment.

Belmopan teen reported missing
The public is asked to be on the lookout for Jasmine Ingrid Ramirez, 15. The Belmopan teen was reported missing today. She was last seen on Saturday.

Belize Tourism Board reports increases in arrivals, but down year predicted
Tourism continues to pilot the Belizean economy, and the good news through the first quarter of 2019 is that it is as strong as ever in terms of tourist arrivals. Industry stakeholders we have spoken to say they are not feeling the effects of the growth in arrivals either by overnight or on cruise ships.

Police: Missing youth drowned
Police have released an official report on a youth found dead yesterday. He is Fredrick Gilbert Lammey Jr. Lammey was reported missing two days ago by his cousin Jael Sjogreen. Sjogreen told police that on April 8, 2019, he, Lammey and two other persons went fishing to South Water Caye but Lammey began to act strange.

Blogs

Mango Season Belize
What Kind of Mango do you like in Belize? Mango season in Belize begins around the end of April and runs through June or July. There are over 15 different mango varieties in Belize, and they are eaten and enjoyed throughout the different stages of ripeness. Everyone in Belize loves Mango. For those of you who don't know, a mango is a fruit only grown in the tropical areas of the world and from my point of view - the most delicious fruit in the Caribbean. The taste is hard to describe, but the closest thing I've heard is that of a Japanese persimmon. Mangoes vary in shape from a slipper to horse's eye with almost as many different names. Julie, Slipper, Sugar, Thundershock, Number Eleven and Bellyful, Blue, Judge wig and Apple mangoes are just a few types commonly seen in Belize.

International Sourcesizz

Belize Prisons Offer Softer Touch than Latin American Counterparts
Latin America’s prison system has long had a reputation for being corrupt, often acting as an incubator for organized crime groups and their criminal activities. But a small Central American nation is taking a different approach, one that views inmates as human beings in need of rehabilitation. It wasn’t always this way. Before a Catholic-oriented non-governmental organization known as the Kolbe Foundation was contracted to manage Belize’s prison system in 2002, it wasn’t uncommon to see prison staff abusing inmates and prisoners harming one another with alarming frequency.

Videos

• Bird Rescue and Banding in the Tropics Belize 2019, 8min. Volunteering at Belize Bird Rescue, assisting with daily chores involved with rehabilitating wild birds with the end goal of release back into their natural habitat. Sometimes birds are deemed non-releasable due to physical or psychological limitations in which case BBR provides them with sanctuary until a suitable forever home is found. These resident birds require constant care from volunteers, and in the case of flocking birds such as parrots, social interaction is crucial to their mental well-being.

• New beach at the Boca Del Río Area, 4min.

• Toledo Christian Academy, Belize, 4min.

• Belize Diving Sept 2018, 5min.

• Ambergris Cay Belize 2019, 20min. diving fishing

• You Better Belize It! Diving & Kite Fishing Ambergris Caye, Belize, 10min. Just off the coast of central Belize, you'll find one of the most exceptional islands for fishing and diving in the entire Caribbean. Ambergris Caye, just a quick jumper flight or ferry ride from BZE, is a perfect destination for adventure travelers who revel in the opportunity to experience pristine coral reef diving, epic snapper fishing, exceptional back country fly fishing for bonefish or permit, and phenomenal offshore fishing for sailfish, marlin, tuna, and as many barracudas as you can stand.

• St John's Lenten Parade in Belize City, 1.5min. Parade from Court House to Church

• Belize 2019 Turneffe, 8.5min. Dives in Turneffe Atoll - Belize - Central America - March 2019. Dives mainly South of Turneffe and at the Great Blue Hole. Blacktip Reef Shark, Nurse Shark, Green Moray Eel, Spotted Eagle Ray, Southern Stingray, Groupers (eating speared Lionfish), Spiny Lobster, Flamingo Tongue, Yellowtail Grunts,

• Belize - Pook's Hill, 13min. Spring Break 2019 finds our extended family on an adventure to Belize! Join us in this episode as we travel to Pook's Hill, settle in and explore the jungle and Mayan ruins. Special thanks to Grandma Judi for making this trip possible and to Auntie Deana for the planning.

• Exploring Belize, 6min. Grateful I was able to capture the essence of a wonderful family vacation.

• Boca Del Rio Grand Opening, 23min.

• Boca Del Rio Grand Opening, 2.5min.