FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and other specials

The San Pedro Sun

Sir Colville Young and Joel Nagel announce the establishment of the Belize Academy of the Performing Arts (BAPA)
Belize Governor-General Sir Colville Young and Attorney Joel Nagel, a resident of San Pedro Town and the chairman of Caye International Bank Ltd., have announced the establishment of the Belize Academy of the Performing Arts (BAPA) in Belize City. The academy will work to create a high-caliber, professional national symphony in Belize to strengthen and expand music education throughout the country. Peter Illavsky, of the world renowned Musikverein in Vienna, Austria, will be responsible for the day-to-day leadership of BAPA. He has spent a considerable amount of time in Belize assessing the musical resources currently available and directing Belize's most promising talent in several performances.

SPTC and volunteers repaint Central Park benches
The San Pedro Town Council (SPTC) along with members San Pedro High School male softball team and the Child Advisory Board (CAB) joined forces to repaint the benches at Central Park on Tuesday, April 16th. Most of the area around the park had been damaged with paint during the town’s festivities of ‘El Gran Carnaval de San Pedro,’ and a touch-up was needed. Every year during the celebrations of San Pedro’s Carnaval, painting is one of the main activities. Children, adults and even visitors joined in the fun of painting each other with water paint. Most of this takes place at Central Park, which leaves most of the area, including its benches smeared with paint.

British Paratroopers on a six-week exercise in Belize
British paratroopers from the United Kingdom are on a six-week training in the jungle of Belize. The exercise will test the Paratroopers' survival skills in the jungles of the country and is part of ‘Exercise Mayan Warrior.’ A paratrooper is a military parachutist; someone trained to parachute into operation and usually functioning as part of an airborne force. The 2nd Battalion the Parachute Regiment (2 PARA) are developing their ability to survive and look after their kit in arduous conditions. The Parachute Regiment is the airborne infantry regiment of the British Army. The 1st Battalion is permanently under the command of the Director Special Forces in the Special Forces Support Group (SFSG).

Havana Cigar hosts Habanos distributors and introduces new cigar and Cuban rum
The promotion of one of Cuba’s top cigars, Partagas-Habana Serie D No. 4, under the Habanos family, took place at a special event on Thursday, April 11th at Havana Cigars in downtown San Pedro. The one of a kind event included invited guests from the Caribbean Cigars Corporation. For the past 15 years, they have been the exclusive distributor of Habanos cigars in the Central American and Caribbean region. The special gathering, which started at 1PM, also highlighted Ron Caney, one of the best aged rums from the Caribbean island nation.

Ambergris Today

U.S. Embassy Celebrates Ms. Sharon Matola - “Woman Of The Year 2019”
Chargé d’Affaires, a.i. of the U.S. Embassy Mr. Keith Gilges hosted an official ceremony and reception Tuesday, April 16, 2019, to recognize and honor the Embassy’s “Woman of the Year 2019” Ms. Sharon Matola. The event featured remarks by Chargé Gilges, Minister of State for the Ministry of Fisheries, Forestry, the Environment, and Sustainable Development Hon. Omar Figueroa, the Co-Founder of the Belize Center for Environmental Studies Ms. Lou Nicolait, and the Founding Director of the Belize Zoo and the Embassy’s “Woman of the Year” 2019 Ms. Sharon Matola.

Misc Belizean Sources

mzz

The U.S. Embassy is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Painter!
o view and apply for this vacancy announcement, please visit the ERA site.

Museum of Belize Easter Hours
Please note our Open/Closing days for the Easter Break. The Museum of Belize wishes all a happy and safe Easter!

Thanks from Hope Haven
A very big thank you to the Marvel Mitchell’s from Houston, Texas! They came down to serve 120 meals to our families and the children upstairs at the shelter, and brought so many smiles to the faces of all of the kids! Tonight’s meal service was sponsored by Tropic Air Belize. A very big thank you to the Airline of Belize for coming through for the community!

SBDC Workshop: Building Your Marketing Plan
Presented by: Mrs. Lorraine Montejo, Business Adviser, SBDCBelize, Beltraide. Location: BTEC Building, ITVET Campus, Belize City. Workshop Date: April 25th, 2019. Time: 9am to 3pm. A marketing plan aims to provide essential business tools that drive marketing effort to achieve specific marketing objectives in any market situation. This workshop equips participants with the essential marketing knowledge, tools, concept for developing a practical, and result driven marketing plan.

New Referendum Date Set for May 8, 2019
On the request of the Prime Minister Rt. Hon. Dean Barrow, acting pursuant to Section 4 of the Belize Territorial Dispute Referendum Act, (Act No. 6 of 2019), the Governor-General of Belize issued a Writ of Referendum for the holding of a referendum on May 8, 2019, to submit to electors the question, “Do you agree that any legal claim of Guatemala against Belize relating to land and insular territories and to any maritime areas pertaining to these territories should be submitted to the International Court of Justice for final settlement and that it determine finally the boundaries of the respective territories and areas of the Parties?”

Training of Trainers in Child Rights
Closing ceremony for 16 Belize Security Forces Officers in a 2 weeks Training of Trainers in Child Rights were held earlier today, at the Belize Inspiration Center. This 2 weeks Child Rights Training, focused on the law, children rights & developing better communication skills with young people. It was sponsored and facilitated by UNICEF, with participants from the Belize Police Department & the Belize Defense Force. Co-Facilitator was Retired Police Commissioner, Gerald Westby.

Corozal District Sustainability Conference
May 11, Come out and talk to use about Cleaning up Belize and paving the way for a Sustainable Future! Zebra Remedies and Recycle Corozal - Go Green, Belize are here to help! Come share your inspirations and let's face this issue head on as a community! Image may contain: one or more people, text and outdoor

Stranded Turtle in Corozal
Earlier today our Local Oceana representative Mr Ryan Rivera, responded to a call of a stranded turle sighting in the southern area of the bay in Corozal Town. As you can see in the images, the sighting was that of a deseases logger head turtle who apparently succumbd to a horrific boat collision injury. It is sad day for our wildlife in the Corozal Bay. Although Loggerhead turtles are the most common species of turtles in the Caribbean, they are listed as a threatned species in the IUCN list of endangered species. These gentle creatures need us to be more alert while boating and require our protection and care.

Easter Jam at The Bluffs
The Bluffs is having a special Easter Jam on Saturday afternoon. Sam Harris, Barefoot Skinny, and Ernie Swisher will be playing starting at 3:00pm. The Bluffs will have a $1 wing special for the event.

Sawdust Masterpieces on Display today in San Pedro
The San Pedro House of Culture invites you to join us and elaborate creative sawdust masterpieces on Good Friday starting @ 7 am in front of the Catholic Church.

Paradise Theater playing this weekend
The Upside, Miss Bala, The Kid King, High Life. *Closed Saturday* We'll be showing Game of Thrones episode 2 at 7:00 and also a late showing at 9:35 for the Punctually Challened.. HAPPY EASTER!!

Channel 7

Referendum Re-loaded
The ICJ referendum will be held on Wednesday May eighth. That's in 20 days, or just a shade under three weeks. The new date was announced today after the Governor General issued a Writ of Referendum - under the new law passed this week - that's the Belize Territorial Dispute Referendum Act. The bill was passed with comfortable majorities in the House and Senate - but the question now is whether the PUP will challenge this new law in court. After the Easter break on Tuesday - they will have exactly two weeks to do so. It's a likelihood, but also a political gamble for the opposition - which does not want to be seen as deliberately obstructionist. There is also a political risk for the ruling party - as its tattered credibility in court cases - can scarcely afford to suffer another legal setback.

Anti-climactic Day At Court of Appeal
So, while the Government is determined to see this referendum take place 3 weeks from now, there are currently no indications coming from the Opposition on what action - if any - they will take try and force a second postponement. We had hoped to get some sense today on whether the PUP plan to mount a new legal challenge when we met their lawyers at the Court of Appeal. The PUP had filed a cross appeal there to ensure that their complaint against the Special Agreement remains live before the Court. Their attorneys and those from the Government side were supposed to show up for a case management conference before the Court of Appeal.

Heavyweight Championship Dream Goes Bam Brigidim Buf For Big Baby
It has now been confirmed that Belizean American Heavyweight Boxer, Jarrell Big Baby Miller will not fight Anthony Joshua for the World Heavyweight title. This after Miller tested positive for a banned substance. The New York State Athletic Commission has now declined heavyweight Miller's application for a license to fight Joshua on June 1st at Madison Square Garden. So, thatl;s the end of it for him - he will likely face a suspension and a replacement will now be found to face Joshua - the British Champion who is making his first title defence in the US.

Big Baby Came Up From Poverty
Miller said he hoped to come into the June first fight significantly lighter than his last fight. Yesterday he posted an impassioned denial of wrongdoing on his Instagram page. He says, quote, "I am absolutely devastated upon hearing the news my boxing license has been revoked in NY State and I will be vigorously appealing this decision. I have NEVER knowingly taken any banned substance and when I found out the news last night I was totally shocked.these results came just one week after another voluntary test that I had taken which was completely clean. I refuse to just lie down and let my dream be taken away from me when I know in my heart that I've done nothing wrong. .. I don't need a banned substance. Remember don't believe everything you hear and see. The facts will prevail and I shall be vindicated.

Belizean Gets Out Of Mexico With A Fine After Jaguar Run-over
Last night use told you about Belizean pilot, Efrain Guerrero who was being held in the Mexican town of Bacalar after running over a jaguar on Wednesday night. He was being accused of hunting a jaguar - which his wife says was unjust because the cat just ran across the highway unexpectedly when they ere driving at 9:00 that night. Well, through diplomatic efforts - we are told that Guerrerro was released sometime after 10:00 last night. He was fined by environmental authorities for an undisclosed amount.

Warrior Family Cries Malpractice
2 days ago, we told you about 22 year-old Oswald Warrior. He's the Carmelita Villager who was shot in Belize City 14 days ago, and after clinging to life for over a week at the KHMH, he passed away on Monday. He was in the Back-A-Town area of the City, which is gang affiliated, when he was shot in the head. He was walking on Sarstoon Street when he was approached by an unknown gunman, who fired a single shot. Initial information was that he was shot in the cheek, but his family members told us today that he was actually shot in the back of the head, and the bullet exited his cheek.

Police Haven't Charged For Warrior Murder
Police haven't charged anyone as yet for Oswald Warrior's murder. Today at the press briefing the cops gave their official report on this case. Insp. Wilfredo Ferrufino, C.I.B., Belize City: "On the fifth of April, 2019, Oswald Warrior was shot and he remained in the hospital until the seventeenth of April where early in the morning around 12:30 a.m., he passed away. A postmortem has been conducted on his body and it confirmed that he died from internal exsanguination as a result of that gunshot. The matter is still under investigation; no one has been charged."

Corozal Hotelier Bludgeoned, Critical
Tonight, the Corozal resident, Byron Chu, who owns the Maya World Guest House in North Corozal Town, is hospitalized at the KHMH after he was found severely beaten inside his business place this morning. The cops were called to the guest house, which is located on 2nd Street, and when they arrived they found him unconscious on the floor bleeding profusely from severe injuries. The cops don't yet know why he was attacked, and this morning, they discussed the preliminary information they have about the incident at a press briefing. Here's what they know at this time:

Van Ran Into San Roman House
And from Corozal Town to the Corozal District we go to the village of San Roman where early this morning - the driver of a taxi van barreled into a house! Luis Alcoser from Caledonia rammed into Rosanni Torres's home - where her elderly parents and small child were sleeping. She told CTV-3 It's a miracle no one was hurt. Rosanni Torres: "This morning we were sleeping and may dad was in the hall when I heard a noise like an explosion. I came out running and shouting for my father. He didn't answer so I opened the door. He was trapped and he couldn't come out so I started to push and when it opened I saw the van indie the house. I thought something had happened to my dad."

They Shot Shane
Last night a man was shot in his yard on Youth for the Future Drive. It happened around 10:00. The victim is Shane Jones. Police says Jones hasn't provided much information to assist them in this case. Information is that after the shooting, the assailant ran up Ebony Street towards Magazine road.

Masks Make It Hard
Earlier int he week, we told you about that Monday evening robbery in Valley of Peace which was caught on camera. 3 men wearing elaborate masks barged into Pan Store and stole the cash register after pistol whipping the owner. The cops told us today that those elaborate masks that the thieves wore are making it difficult for them to identify these culprits: Asp Alejandro Cowo - OC, CIB Belize City: "We had one on Monday, the 15th of April at about 8 p.m., where police visited Valley of Peace road. They spoke to the proprietor, Mr. Tan Ying Pan, 45 years=old..."

They Jacked Julies
And the spate of robberies in the Cayo District continued on Tuesday afternoon in San Ignacio Town. At around 2 p.m., the Cayo cops were called to Julie's Hardware Store, which was robbed by 2 Hispanic men. Police told us today that one of those thieves showed up to the business place with a sack of pint bottles, and pretended that he was there to sell it to the business owner: Asp Alejandro Cowo - OC, CIB Belize City: "On Tuesday, the 16th of April, 2019, just after 2 p.m.,San Ignacio police visited July's Hardware, located on Bluebird Street, San Ignacio Town, where they spoke to Maria Frazer. She reported to the police that while she was inside of the business establishment, 2 male persons entered the said establishment..."

Patrons Turned Thieves
7 hours after that robbery in San Ignacio, Benque Viejo police had to respond to another armed robbery at Lighthouse Restaurant, which is located on the Border Road. At around 9:00 on Tuesday night, 2 men went to the restaurant and pretended that they were there to buy food. While the owner was preparing it, one of them pulled out a weapon and demanded that he hand over whatever money he had. As we told you, the owner complied, and the robbers left with the stolen cash, along with 4 orders of fried chicken and a coke. Police shared more information on the case today:

Businesses Beware Of Patrons Turned Thieves
So, as you'll have noticed, all of these robberies share 1 similar element. The thieves showed up and pretended to be legitimate customers, so that they could catch the business owners with their guard down. Since the Easter holiday is upon us, police are asking business owners to be especially vigilant of customers inside their establishments, because those customers may just be robbers in disguise. Here's what advice they had today for the business community, so that they can hopefully avoid becoming victims to thieves looking for a holiday "come up":

Charged For Chancing Hope Creek Harry
And in other police news, we have updates to stories we reported on last night. Police have charged a man in connection with the shooting and robbery of Hope Creek Fisherman Harry Montero. As we told you he was attempting to pay a man some money he owed - but ended up getting shot and robbed. Police told us more about this case. Insp. Wilfredo Ferrufino, C.I.B., Belize City: "Police received information that there was a victim with gunshot injury at the KHMH. Upon arrival they discovered 26 year old Harry Montero with a single gunshot wound to the right leg. Mr. Montero reported that he was at a mechanic shop in Ladyville, this is near the Fire Station..."

Update on Delbert
And we also asked police for more information about that stabbing which we told you about last night. 41 year-old Delbert Quilter was left critical after he was stabbed in the chest early on Thursday morning. Here's what the cops know so far:..

Treating Youths As Kids Not Criminals
There are many youth caught up in the gang life, but that doesn't mean the law should treat them like hardened criminals. Sure, it is hard to separate the person from the crime but that's what police and other officials have to do when they encounter a minor in conflict with the law. Today, 15 law enforcement officers received certificates for completing a 2 week training in child rights and protection. We were there for the closing ceremony. Here's more.

Guat Presidential Candidate Accused of Working With Narcos
Guatemala's presidential election takes place next month on June 16th and voters can choose from over 20 presidential candidates. But tonight there is one less: 58 year old former congressman Mario Estrada has been arrested in Miami on drug and weapons charges, accused of plotting to assassinate political rivals and to let drug dealers use Guatemala's ports and airports if elected. Estrada and an alleged accomplice appeared today without an attorney before a federal magistrate in Miami. The US attorney in New York says, quote, "Estrada and Gonzalez conspired to solicit Sinaloa Cartel money to finance a corrupt scheme to elect Estrada president of GuatemalaIn return, the two allegedly promised to assist the cartel in using Guatemalan ports and airports to export tons of cocaine into the U.S."

Finding Fish For Friday
It's Holy Week - and all over the country - Belizeans are preparing for a weekend where they will eat mostly fish - especially for tomorrow, Good Friday. And that means the main fish market in Belize City was abuzz today. And because of this robust demand we found that prices were very high - at nearly $9 to $10 dollars per pound - when it's usually $6 per pound. The issue is demand, but also the risks and costs of fishing - where high fuel prices make fish very expensive. One fish seller, Odessa Orozco told us more:...

Cross Country Come Back Again
And that other Easter tradition, the Holy Saturday Cross Country Cycling Classic is shaping up to be yet another nail-biter. Approximately 100 riders, including 20 foreigners, will take on that 144 mile ride to compete for the garland. Race promoter Kwame Scott told us about some of the big named athletes who will be participating in the 91st running of the Cross Country Classic, the biggest event on Belize's Cycling calendar:

Channel 5

A New Referendum Date is Set
A new date of May eighth, 2019 has been set for the I.C.J. referendum to be held.  It succeeds the signing into law of the Belize Territorial Dispute Referendum Act [...]

Belize City Man Stabbed while Socializing
A Belize City man is hospitalized after he was stabbed in the early hours of Wednesday morning. Police say that forty-one-year-old Delbert Quilter was socializing when he got into an [...]

Corozal Businessman Critical after Beat Down
A Corozal businessman is in a critical condition after he was badly beaten inside his home. Police say that they don’t have much details about what happened but cops in [...]

1 Man Injured During Shooting in Belize City
There was a shooting on Wednesday night in Belize City. Police say that sometime after ten a man was shot inside his yard – that shot, according to police, was [...]

Money Dispute Leads to Shooting in Ladyville
Police say a man was shot and robbed over a money dispute on Tuesday evening in Ladyville. Twenty-six-year-old Harry Montero was shot in the leg after he tried to repay [...]

No Suspects for Oswald Warrior’s Murder
Earlier this week, we told you about Oswald Warrior who succumbed to gunshot injuries a week after he was shot. Warrior was walking along Sarstoon Street in Belize City when [...]

No Suspects in Valley of Peace Robbery
Three separate businesses in the Cayo District were robbed this week. On Monday night sometime around eight, cops responded to an armed robbery in Valley of Peace Village where three [...]

Hardware Store Robbed in San Ignacio
The second robbery happened in San Ignacio Town. Around two on Tuesday afternoon, two clear complexion men entered Julie’s Hardware on Blue Bird Street. The owner of the store told [...]

Benque Robbers Steal Money and Fried Chicken
The third robbery in the Cayo jurisdiction happened on Tuesday night around eight-forty-five in Benque Viejo. The owner of Lighthouse Restaurant reported to police that two men went into his [...]

2 Women are Charged for Aggravated Assault with a Knife
Eighteen-year-old Danika Beaton, a resident of Dolphin Street, and Nicole Lamb, a pregnant domestic, have been charged with five counts of aggravated assault with a knife.  They have also been [...]

Ravin Gillett Remanded for Attempted Murder in Crooked Tree
A nineteen-year-old fisherman of Crooked Tree Village is on remand at the Belize Central Prison tonight after being arraigned on a pair of indictable offenses, following a brawl in that [...]

Police and B.D.F. Join Forces on the Rights of the Child
Fifteen members of the Belize Security Forces have completed a two-week training programme on the rights of children to build their capacity when it comes to dealing with youth who [...]

YWCA’s Hot Cross Buns with a Purpose
The baking of cross buns is a part of the Belizean tradition at Easter time. In many homes it brings families together and for others it brings in an extra [...]

What’s the Plan for the Easter Holidays?
At this time, Belizeans travelling for the Easter holidays have already hit the highways or have arrived at their destinations. But for others, the religious aspect of the holiday is [...]

Safety Tips for the Easter Holidays
Belizeans across the country are getting ready for the annual Easter vacation and final preparations are being made for travel and socializing.  Today, ASP Alejandro Cowo of the Belize Police [...]

A Safety Message for Business Owners
Earlier in the newscast, we told you about the string of robberies at businesses in the Cayo District. As you heard, the robbers pretended to be customers and others are [...]

An Easter Message from Bishop Philip Wright
The Easter weekend is upon us and will end on Monday.  Whilst wishing Belizeans a safe and blessed Easter weekend, the focus should remain on the crucifixion and resurrection of [...]

Amandala

Chief Elections Officer accused of political mischief
A senior staff member of the Elections and Boundaries Department hired an attorney to protect her rights after she allegedly was transferred for refusing to carry out instructions from the Chief Elections Officer, Josephine Tamai. The matter made it into the public domain during Monday’s Senate meeting when the Opposition People’s United Party (PUP) senator, Hon. Eamon Courtenay, revealed the existence of a letter written by former United Democratic Party (UDP) mayor of Belize City, attorney Darrell Bradley, on behalf of his client, senior registering officer Jerrylyn Bruce.

Fire destroys house on Rose Lane; 7 homeless
Three houses were destroyed by fire on Rose Lane, in Lake Independence, at about 10:30 last night, leaving 7 persons homeless, and all their possessions were either stolen, or destroyed. Fortunately the Belize City Fire Service went to the scene quickly and confined the fire, and no other houses in the area were damaged. The houses which were destroyed were a two-flat timber house and two other small timber houses, all owned by Brenda Cadle, 61, also known as Stella Belgrave, and her family.

For 2nd year in a row, GOB hikes fuel prices at Easter time
Last Thursday, April 11, the price of regular gasoline shot up by 39 cents and the Ministry of Finance, in its press release announcing the new price increase, attributed the rise to the demand on the North American market and the decrease in production from OPEC. At midnight last night, the price of premium fuel shot up by 40 cents per gallon, taking the price from $10.90 to $11.30.

Belizeans on measles alert
The Ministry of Health has disseminated a press release to inform the public of the risk of contracting measles and the preventative measures that families are urged to take to avoid this. The alert was released in light of the rapid spread of measles cases in the United States between the months of January and April of 2019. Statistics compiled by the American institute, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, indicate that five hundred and fifty-five individual cases of measles have been confirmed in twenty states, the second greatest number of cases reported in the U.S since the year 2000.

PUP litigating the Special Agreement in two high courts
The Opposition People’s United Party PUP), which convinced Chief Justice Kenneth Benjamin to grant an interim injunction to halt the April 10 International Court of Justice (ICJ) referendum as a result of its constitutional challenge of the Special Agreement between Belize and Guatemala for submitting the Guatemalan claim to the ICJ, is fighting their claim in the two high courts of Belize, the Supreme Court and the Court of Appeal. Today was scheduled to be the first day of hearing of the substantive case before Chief Justice Benjamin.

Scholarship recipients from Path Light International visit Amandala
Many parents in Belize are unable to find the funds to cover the cost of sending their children who graduate out of primary school, on to high school. Some young persons, however, are fortunately able to access this vital assistance from various organizations, so they are able to attend high schools throughout Belize. On Monday afternoon, a group of high school students who are recipients of high school scholarships from Path Light Foundation visited Amandala.

Three Belizean women unite to “ride for country;” Kaya Cattouse is 2019 Women Cross Country Champion
When the early break in yesterday’s 30th Annual Women Cross Country Classic showed three Belizeans and two Mexicans in the lead bunch, Belizean fans immediately and instinctively began hoping and praying that those three Belizean women cyclists, which included perennial rivals and both two-time Cross Country champions, Alicia Thompson and Kaya Cattouse, would decide to work together to try and ensure a Belizean won the race. And so they did, as the post-race revelations confirmed.

City Boys 10 & Under Grassroots Football Finals results; Reality Youths – Champions
The 3rd Annual City Boys 10 & Under Grassroots Tournament 2019 Finals were held on Saturday, April 13, at the Cumberbatch Football Field with the following results: In game 1, the 3rd Place Game, it was Poor & Famous, 4-3, over Belize United. Goals for Poor & Famous were by Jonathan Espinosa (1) and Jacob Joseph (3); while Belize United goals were by Juan Diego (1), Gerald Vellejos (1) and Barack Morey (1). Poor & Famous therefore took 3rd Place in the tournament.

Mayor Belize City Dominoes Tournament concludes; Grabs are Champions
We have come to the finale of the Mayor Belize City Dominoes Tournament. Below are the results from the final Week 5 of the the Tournament, which took place on Saturday, April 14, at Lakers Kool Spot. A total of 6 teams participated in the grand finale of the tournament, and all games were played with the winners reaching 3000 points.

National Women’s League regular season ends; quarterfinals after Easter break
Week 10 games of the National Amateur Women’s League (NAWL) 2019 Tournament were played over the weekend to complete the regular season – 3 games each were scheduled for Saturday and Sunday, April 13 & 14. On Saturday at the M.A. Stadium in Independence, home standing Altitude were taking no prisoners, demolishing Santa Elena Strikers, 16-0, with goals from Tamara Baptist (5’, 45’ & 84’), Christy Cardinez (36’, 47’, 49’, 72’, 82’ & 88’), Sabrina Eiley (50’), Jessica Foreman (52’), Zulma Ortega (58’ & 69’), Pauline Linarez (64’) and Veronica Figueroa (74’ & 89’).

The “host” isn’t ready for the ICJ party
The interim injunction the Chief Justice placed on the referendum which was to be held to decide if Belize would go with Guatemala to the International Court of Justice (ICJ) to settle that country’s longstanding claim to Belize’s territory, provoked an interesting intervention from foreign places. The countries, Belize and Guatemala, had signed a Special Agreement in 2008, which if agreed to by the people in both countries, would send the dispute to the ICJ for final resolution. Guatemala would go to referendum in 2018, and the people who voted declared, emphatically, that they were eager to go to the ICJ. Only 27% of their people showed up for the referendum, and of those that voted an overwhelming 96% said the ICJ was the way to go.

I am concerned about the integrity of the OAS
Dear Editor, I am concerned about the inaccurate propaganda put out by the Government of Belize. Do they believe Belizeans are unintelligent and won’t fact-check their assertions? They have a right to encourage us to vote yes, but based on facts, not half-truths and mere opinions. I will take two points claimed by the former ICJ President Stephen Schwebel. When asked if the judges can be biased in favor of Guatemala because of its friendship with the USA, he said, “… I can state with confidence that such concerns are unfounded…”

Tribute to Belizean legend, Dario Hernandez
Dear Editor, April 21 will mark the first anniversary of the passing of a son of the soil, a Belizean legend, Dario Hernandez. He presented his Belizean meat pies to his fellow citizens back in the 1980’s and the rest is history. On behalf of the program, “Belizean Musicians Past and Present,” which was founded in 1995 by Tony Wright and J.C. Arzu, I wrote this poem to give recognition to his sponsorship of the program, which continues today. A copy of the poem will be presented to Dario’s family.

S Elrington needs PSWG to save him
I would consider ignoring all the Foreign Minister said at the House meeting on Friday, because it appears that he is not able to separate his personal and professional selves, and the failure of his professional self, when it is pointed out to him, is causing him great personal stress. That’s the sense I got from his presentation to the House on Friday. Leaders have to be scrutinized intensely. Years ago, when Mr. Elrington was in his prime, a time when he was a political activist, not a Government Minister, he said that governments respond to pressure.

Musings By the Curious Non-Conformist
Sankofa. It is an African word from the Akan tribe of Ghana, Africa, which literally translates to “it is not taboo to fetch what is at risk of being left behind” and derived from the root words SAN, which means to return, KO, which means to go, and FA, which means to seek. I think a reference on that principle is key when I sit and reflect upon where we are politically and especially for someone like me who wishes to analyze how it is that we got here and how we as a collective can build consciousness to progress. In conversation with my elders, I often tell them that they have done us a grave injustice by not infusing into our societal tapestry the struggles they endured to have us be here, whether that perspective be one that celebrates how far we have come as a nation state or whether we are suffering from an internal hemorrhage that does not seem to carry any air of urgency.

Guatemalan Armed Forces’ aggression on Sarstoon River: Belize military and civilian boats blocked
An incident on the Sarstoon River yesterday morning involving Belizeans, both military and civilians, brought into sharp focus once more the problem of what appeared to be the annexation of the entire river by the Guatemalan Armed Forces (GAF) and highlighted, for the world to see, the impotent response from the Belize Government’s Ministry of National Security and Foreign Affairs. A group of Belizeans visiting from the United States set out on a trip on the Sarstoon River. They hired Wil Maheia, the leader of the Belize Territorial Volunteers (BTV), and a boat captain to take them up the river and around Sarstoon Island, and then back to their starting point.

Camille Solis! Belize’s greatest female cyclist of all time!
The first Belize Women’s Cross Country Cycling Classic was held in 1990, and Belizean cycling athlete, Camille Solis, won it in grand style. Though there were only three Belizean female cyclists that answered the call from Belizean cycling mentor and coach, Stans Bowman, to be a part of the first female Cross Country, Solis’s victory broke the gender barrier in Belize in the male-dominated Holy Saturday Cross Country since 1928. Camille Solis came straight out of St John’s College Junior College (Sixth Form) at the age of 18 years

“If my head will roll … let it roll!”
The Senate met today in the National Assembly chamber, and debated and voted on government’s new referendum law, the Belize Territorial Dispute Referendum Bill, which easily passed through the Senate by a vote of 8 in favor, 4 against, and 1 abstention. Following a People’s United Party (PUP) parliamentary caucus meeting at his Belize City office last Friday, PUP leader, Hon. John Briceño, area representative of Orange Walk Central, told reporters that there was a consensus on how PUP members of the House of Representatives and the Senate would vote on the government’s new referendum law.

Date set for attorney Andrew Bennett’s extradition case
Attorney Andrew Bennett, for whom the United States has issued an extradition request after a US grand jury unsealed a multi-count indictment in the US territory of Puerto Rico, appeared in the #1Magistrate’s Court of Chief Magistrate Sharon Fraser, along with his attorney, Anthony Sylvestre, this morning. Sylvestre indicated to the court that he was ready for trial; however, since the Crown assigned a new prosecutor, Crown Counsel Samantha Matute-Tucker from the Solicitor General’s office, Chief Magistrate Fraser agreed to adjourn the case to April 30 in order to allow the parties to reacquaint themselves with the details of the case.

Farmers of the Year 2019 winners
The Annual Farmers of the Year Competition was carried out by the Ministry of Agriculture and the three winners were announced on Monday. Dan Isai Lopez, a farmer of the Cayo District, was named Male Farmer of the Year, while Female Farmer of the Year is Ana Eloisa Morales, a farmer of the Cayo District; and the Junior Farmer of the Year is Christian Eden Salazar, Jr., of the Corozal District.

Fredrick Lammey, Jr., 16, drowns at sea
The search at sea for missing 2nd form student of Delille Academy in Dangriga, Fredrick Gilbert Lammey, Jr., 16, who was reported missing Thursday by relatives of his, has come to an unfortunate end. The body of the missing teenager was found at about 10:30 Saturday morning floating in the sea in front of Coco Plum Caye, which is about four miles from the shores of Dangriga. The discovery was made by a search party two days after he disappeared at sea.

The Reporter

Corozal Guesthouse Proprietor – Found Badly Beaten
Police are waiting for a man in Corozal to recover sufficiently to give them a statement which will help them to determine who beat him almost to the point of death this morning.

God Calls Believers to Politics
By Nefretery Marin - As I make my way to visit citizens in all corners of Belize; I find Christians and believers to be the most in denial and that is UNACCEPTABLE. This week we celebrate the Passover and so it is the opportune time for me to speak to God’s church.

BELIZEAN HEAVYWEIGHT DENIED LICENSE
Jarrell ‘Big Baby’ Miller, a world-class heavyweight boxer born in Belize, was denied a license to box in New York after failing a random test for an illegal substance. Miller had been scheduled to contest Anthony Joshua for the unified heavyweight championship title on June 1 in Madison Square Garden.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Loggerhead turtle found dead in Corozal
Today, a dead loggerhead turtle was found in Corozal Bay. Corozal’s Oceana representative was called […]

ICJ Fever: Back at it!
With a new date being set for Belize’s historic national referendum, the public awareness […]

Government announces new referendum date
On the request of the Prime Minister, Dean Barrow, acting pursuant to Section 4 of […]

Young woman from Bullet Tree reported missing
The family of Paula Asussely Landero from Bullet Tree village, Cayo is desperately searching for […]

New Referendum date set
Reports to our newsroom indicate that a new ‘Writ for Referendum’ has been signed setting […]

Belizean accused of hitting jaguar in Bacalar, Mexico released
A Belizean couple is back home in the country after being detained in Bacalar, Mexico. […]

“Big Baby” Miller speaks out, claims innocence
Following the suspension of his boxing license in the state of New York, Belizean born boxer […]

Cool and wet weather forecasted for Easter weekend
The 24-hour forecast is for fair weather to continue with an increase in shower activity […]

Belize-based company linked to Assange saga
Australian national Julian Assange, 47, has apparently worn out his welcome with no less than […]

LOVE FM

Good Living on Coconuts
While we stick to healthy options, instead of sugar fizzed drinks, you can go natural with regular water. We spoke to another small scale businesswoman who gets up at dawn every day in Orange Walk and travels to Belize City to sell coconut water. Mayra Arfona says the business supports her family of three. Mayra … https://www.google.com/search?q=BELIZE&hl=en&gl=us&tbs=qdr:d,sbd:1&tbm=nws&source=lnt&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjc9ZPyg9zhAhXWs54KHZ78AOQQpwUIIQ&biw=1124&bih=1329&dpr=1

Safety Tips from the Fire Service
Many Belizeans who plan to leave home for the 4 day Easter weekend leave either on Thursday night or on Saturday. Apparently many believe it’s bad luck to travel on Good Friday. Nonetheless, while you may run into family, friends and neighbors at the cayes, seaside communities or over the border, your home may need …

Police investigate series of armed robberies in Cayo
Police continue to investigate a series of armed robberies that continue to plaque business establishments in the Cayo district. We have reported of the armed hold up at a grocery store in the Valley of peace community on Monday night. Three masked and armed men entered the store wearing camouflage clothing. Police say the men …

Police and BDF learn child rights
Fifteen officers from the Belize Police department and the Belize Defence Force have completed a training for trainers on child rights. The officers received their certificates of completion this morning in Belize City. The ceremony was attended by former Commissioner of Police, Gerald Westby who also co-facilitated the sessions, and by Brigadier General Steven Ortega. …

A fish story from the Market for Good Friday
For those who are staying home on Good Friday, finding something to eat will be difficult as stores and fast food establishments will be closed. And if you do find a place that is open, red meat would not be on the menu because of the dominant Christian tradition in Belize. Love News went to …

Alternatives to Fish and Meat During Easter
If fish is too expensive for you to consume during the easter and you still intend to obey the traditions to abstain from eating meat, there are alternatives. Vegan Bites entrepreneur, Ras Ruben told us what options can still satisfy your palate and hunger for meat, while venturing onto a vegan path. Ras Ruben Chef, …

Blogs

Why does Belize Celebrate the Cross Bun?
Hot Cross Bun. This delicious spiced, sweet bun is not only exclusive to Belize, but many parts of the United Kingdom, Ireland, and other places. Traditionally eaten on Good Friday, this bun sports a cross on top of it, symbolizing the cross Jesus was crucified on.

International Sourcesizz

Chetumal airport terminal expansion to add 2,500 square meters
The Chetumal International Airport terminal will be expanded this year to meet the needs of an increasing number of passengers. Airport operator Aeropuertos y Servicios Auxiliares (ASA), a federal government-owned corporation, announced a competitive tendering process for companies interested in adding almost 2,500 square meters of space to the terminal in the Quintana Roo capital. New stores, public washrooms, security areas, airline offices and waiting rooms are all part of the project.

Videos

• White lipped peccary , 1.5min. One never knows what one will encounter during a normal work day in Belize!

• Belize Butterfly Farm at Chaa Creek Eco Lodge, 1/2min. The Blue Morpho Butterfly Farm continues to be a major attraction as people marvel at the splendid iridescent wings of these magnificent butterflies. The "Belizean Blue" can be observed during every stage of their life cycle.

• Sailing in Belize, 2min. Short clips from sailing from Caye Caulker to Dangriga in Belize

• Belize City and its Landmark Lighthouse, 1min. Coming into the busy bustling port of Belize City and passing its landmark lighthouse.

• Belize 29.03-03.04, 8min.

• Copalli rum from Belize, 3min.

• Trying all of fruits in Belize-Mamey, 3min. I'm staying in Belize for a few months and I wanna try all of the fresh, exotic/tropical fruits from Belize

• Belize Beans and Rice, 5min. Red Beans and Coconut Rice from Belize is a great way to change up your rice and beans recipe! The rice is cooked with coconut milk and lime to give the dish a rich, Belizean flavor.

• A River Somewhere * Turneffe Islands, Belize, 27min. A River Somewhere was an Australian documentary television series originally broadcast by ABC TV in 1997 and 1998. It was produced by Working Dog Productions, and was hosted by Tom Gleisner and Rob Sitch. The series focused on the observations of Sitch and Gleisner as they travelled to various locations across Australia, New Zealand and around the world to fly fish and experience the local culture. The aim of their expedition was to "catch dinner and have it cooked in a local style".

• The Belize National Student Union (BNSU) - voice of the youth in the Senate, 43min. The Belize National Student Union (BNSU) is a group of youths who are mobilizing themselves to advocate for the issues of students across the nation. They are hoping to one day become an established union and to represent the voice of the youth in the Senate. We spoke with the leaders of the BNSU about their vision and how they are working to bring it to fruition. On our couch: Seidy Gomez - Vice President, BNSU. Kareem Guy - Member, BNSU. Kevin Berganza - President, BNSU.

• YWCA to give us some guidelines for keeping the family safe, 32min. As families get ready to vacation for the Easter break we asked the YWCA to give us some guidelines for keeping the family safe. They shared important reminders about how to stay alert and prevent potential accidents while swimming. On set: Joevannie Collins - Public Relations Officer, YWCA. Deanna Peyrefitte - General Secretary, YWCA.

• Wine Smith Ltd., 28min. Wine Smith Ltd. is a family owned company that sells locally made wine. We spoke to the owners about the history of the company. They shared that the product meets international standards and they are aiming to grow the brand locally. On our couch: Joseph ”Flinkas” Smith - Owner, Wine Smith Ltd. Arthur Smith - Sales Representatives, Wine Smith Ltd. Johan Bermudez - Sales Representatives, Wine Smith Ltd.

• Xishell "Lady X" Hyde is a female professional DJ, 14min. Xishell "Lady X" Hyde is a professional DJ who is making a name for herself on the international scene. We talked with her about her journey and she offered insights into how others can make a successful career of the love of music.

• Explore, Enjoy, & Conserve Guanacaste National Park, 1.5min. Johannes Johnson won the Explore, Enjoy, and Conserve video competition with his great video about Guanacaste National Park. The Belize Audubon Society is celebrating 50 years, and had the competition to get everyone involved. It worked.

• NEBL 2019 | Verdes vs Tiger Sharks | SHC Auditorium, San Ignacio, 2.5hr.