FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and other specials

The San Pedro Sun

SanBIRDrano Birding Group participates in annual bird-a-thon
It was a day for the birds when five enthusiasts met up in San Pedro on Saturday, April 13th to participate in the sixth annual Belize Bird Conservancy’s Bird-a-thon and fundraiser. Held during April, the bird-a-thon is a fun way to support bird conservation while collecting important data about birds found in Belize during that time. Eco-lodges and tourism establishments sponsor the local groups who participate, and this year, according to organizer Roni Martinez, 17 groups were organized across the country. In San Pedro, the group was sponsored by Grand Caribe Resort, and within a radius of five miles and over eight hours, the birders identified 71 different species.

Coral Reef Ed-ventures’ Summer Camp is coming up!
As the summer is approaching the annual Coral Reef Ed-ventures Summer Camp is gearing to return to Ambergris Caye in their continued mission to educate children on the protection and preservation of their surrounding marine environment. Since 1999, the free, fun and educational camp have been a cooperative effort between students from Smith College in Massachusetts, United States of America and the Hol Chan Marine Reserve. This year the camp will commence on Wednesday, June 26th and will be celebrating its 20th anniversary. A week prior, the Smith College Team will be visiting all primary schools on the island to tell them more about this year’s program and how they can be part of it.

National Police Statistics register a decrease in major crime during the first three months of 2019
The crime statistics for the first three months of 2018 have been released by the Belize Police Department, noting all major crimes committed across Belize. The results show major crimes like murder, robbery, burglary, theft and carnal knowledge have decreased in the first months of 2019, in comparison with the same time frame in 2018. The statistics also look at the crime activity during the past three months in different areas of the country and a comparison of crime per 100,000 habitants for the same period in 2018 and 2019.

Misc Belizean Sources

mzz

Good Friday sawdust carpets in San Pedro Town
The practice of creating Easter sawdust carpets is a well- known tradition in the Roman Catholic religion. In San Pedro, the carpet greeted the religious procession that took place Friday.

This is how the lagoons are looking today in both San Narciso and Louisville in the Corozal District
Its the first time in my life time that I have seen these lagoons dried up to this extreme although, am told by my granddad that it had happened sometime in the 70's. It it certainly a mesmerizing phenomenon, one that makes one remenice on the childhood swiming and fishing adventures.

Made in Belize Expo 2019
The 2019 Made in Belize Expo will be held at the NATS showgrounds on Saturday, June 1st. If you're interested in getting a booth, contact the BCCI. June 1st, 2019 at the Belmopan City Agricultural Show Grounds. Time: 10am to 5pm, Entrance: FREE.

Sawdust Carpet in Benque
Contemplating the final outcome with the Team, thank you to all the most faithful members, the team spirit and energies everyone presented made it all possible, Team Sacred Heart Junior College and our Benque Team you all executed great skills and knowledge!

YAAYAJ K'IINO'OB Of THE YUCATEC MAYA OF BELIZE
Yaayal k'iiino'ob means "Days of Pain" which are 5 days in which the people of Yucatec Maya descent believe bad things happen. While many go to Church this days of Semana Santa many Yucatec Maya simply stay at home . In the old days the Mayeros did not went to work,no music,no running,no swimming,no noise, no claiming trees, no hunting etc was done . For this days many simply lay in their hammocks , house floors and relax . It is believe that the doors of Mitnal(The underworld ) is open and that why bad things happen. Also it is believe that the Guardian of the Jungle and animals the Nukux Tat would be frequently spotted especially during the Lenten Season and especially on Good Fridays.

Capricorn Restaurant to Reopen May 11
Put this on your calendars, come support the re-opening of a classic bar north of the bridge- Capricorn Restaurant, San Pedro, Belize! May 11 is their grand re-opening party...will be volleyball tournaments, and you can sign up teams for an official tournament. Also a DJ, prizes, food and drink specials. Starting at noon!!

The Reporter

Lightning Strike In Armenia Village Kills Farmer
A farmer from Armenia in the Cayo District is dead after he was struck by lightning this evening. Christino Alvarado, 39, told Police he and his brother Carlos, 35, were at their farm just outside Armenia at around 4:00pm when it started to rain and they sought shelter under separate cohune trees. Shortly after, lightning struck the tree under which Carlos was sheltering and he was killed on the spot.

Southern Regional Morgue Still Down
Acting Southern Regional Manager Franelda Gutierrez told the Reporter tonight that with the exception of a day or two last week, the morgue at the Southern Regional Hospital has been non-functional for approximately one month. While she could not provide an exact date, Gutierrez explained that they have been doing their best to get the morgue up and running, and expect it to be operational in a matter of weeks.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

“Humbled”, “hurting” Miller vows comeback after failed drug tests
I messed up. I made a bad call. There’s a lot of ways to handle a situation; I handled it wrongly and I’m paying a price for it, I’ll miss a big opportunity.” Undefeated heavyweight contender Jarrell “Big Baby” Miller addresses his fans and supporters in Belize and abroad with these words in a short Facebook video posted this evening after news broke earlier today of a second failed drug test in as many days.

“Big Baby’s” championship fight called off after another failed drug test
Undefeated heavyweight contender Jarrell Miller has “failed a second separate test for a further substance,” according to the promoter for rival champion Anthony Joshua, Eddie Hearn, and is denied a license to fight in New York state, calling off their bout planned for June 1. Miller would have been the first Belizean to go after a heavyweight title and one of the few contenders in any class to have represented Belize in such a fight.

From the Stations of the Cross to the Final Procession: Good Friday in Benque Viejo
Worldwide, Christians gather to celebrate Holy Week beginning with Psalm Sunday then going into Holy Thursday, Good Friday and Easter Sunday. In Belize, Christians in Benque Viejo del Carmen engage in a complete re-enactment of the Last Supper, the Stations of the Cross and the Final Procession. Last night, the re-enactment of the Last Supper culminated into a Sacramental Procession in Benque Viejo.

Teen jailed for attempted murder in Crooked Tree
A brawl in the insular and normally placid village of Crooked Tree has left a […]

The 91st “Ride for the Roses”
It is Belize’s “Test of the Champion” – the race with the most grueling conditions, […]

Blogs

Cool down with a classic: PALETAS!
Despite the breeze blowing in from the Caribbean Sea, temperatures across Belize tend to soar around April and don’t let up till mid-October. Belizeans are well-attuned to this weather phenomenon, and we’ve found ways to bear the heat. One such way is ingesting copious amounts of frozen treats, mostly homemade. I’m talking beyond ice cubes in a glass. We have figured out taking a yummy fruit juice, adding either milk or some other kind of sweet mixer, poured into small cups, even bags tied up tight and thrown in the freezer for a few hours. Soon, we have a solid flavored popsicle-like treat that we can enjoy under the shade, till the next heat wave demands we have another!

Itinerary Belize: one week in Caribbean paradise!
Waving palm trees, reggae music and a beautiful underwater world: welcome to Belize, a small country in Central America. In this blog, I will tell you about our itinerary and route through Belize. I will also tell you what I would have done differently afterwards and which alternative destinations are worth a visit in Belize. We combined Belize with a trip through Guatemala. We did not know in advance exactly how much time we would spend in Belize, but one thing was certain: our sailing trip with Raggamuffin. So we would, in any case, go to Caye Caulker to sail with Raggamuffin from there.

International Sourcesizz

CDU sends observer team to Belize
The Caribbean Democrat Union (CDU) as part of its mission to advance good governance in the region embarked on an observation mission to Belize for the ICJ referendum. The people of Belize were to decide “yes” or “no” on whether to take the matter of the long-standing border dispute with Guatemala to the International Court of Justice (ICJ).

Bank embroiled in fraud case loses licence for Belize
The Belize government has revoked the licence of an international bank which is embroiled in a fraud case in the United States, involving property in the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) nation. The decision to revoke the banking licence of Atlantic International Bank Limited (AIBL) was taken on the recommendation of Central Bank of Belize, five months after the US Federal Trade Commission (FTC) named the bank as a defendant in a case involving alleged fraud related to certain transactions for the sale of land in a property development known as Sanctuary Belize. That legal situation unfolded on November 8, 2018 and the FTC sought and obtained a temporary restraining order against certain of the bank’s liquid assets in the United States.

Belize Tourism Continues Growth Trend in Early 2019
Add Belize to the list of Caribbean destinations reporting strong visitor arrivals in early 2019. The country hosted 58,000 overnight arrivals in March 2019, an all-time high for the month and a 6.6 percent year-over-year increase compared with last March, said Belize Tourism Board (BTB) officials. Belize’s first-quarter 2019 visitor arrivals totaled 158,290 overnight guests, a 6.3 percent increase compared with the first quarter of 2018. Meanwhile, the higher March 2019 numbers represent Belize’s 28th consecutive month of increased year-over-year visitor arrivals.

Riley Green Heads to Belize For “In Love By Now”
On the heels of his debut No. 1 single, RILEY GREEN jets to Belize as he tries find an old flame in the new video for his sophomore release “In Love By Now.” Billboard.com exclusively premiered the video about a lost love and it is available everywhere today, and can we watched below: Directed by Mason Dixon, the video brings Music City to the tropics as they film in a familiar Nashville locale, Losers Bar and Grill Belize. “My buddy runs a bar and invited me down,” explained Green. “You don’t have to ask me twice to go film on the beach for two days. I had nothing to complain about.”

JARRELL MILLER TESTS POSITIVE FOR A THIRD, YES A THIRD, TIME
And the hits just keep on coming. Heavyweight contender Jarrell Miller has tested positive on a third VADA test, this time due to trace amounts of EPO and a repeat infringement for GW1516 (endurobol), according to reports. Just so everyone is keeping up, Miller has now tested positive for GW1516 twice, HGH and EPO. The first failed test (for GW1516) was from a urine sample and a source has revealed that was also the case with EPO, while HGH was detected in blood.

Videos

• Crocodile Rescue and Rehabilitation, 1min. Rescues and rehabilitation can be a long road to recovery. Rescued from the wild by officers from the Orange Walk Forest Department Station, this adult Morelet's crocodile was found lethargic and underweight along the New River near Orange Walk Town, illustrating signs of chronic exposure to environmental pollution. With the help of our partners, the croc was temporarily held at The Belize Zoo prior to transfer to the CRC. Like all crocs that come under our rehabilitation care, the croc received a thorough veterinary and physical assessment. Then it was time to load him up for the long journey home. Clean water, clean eating, and a little TLC are what the doctor has ordered. His road to recovery will likely be a long one but we hope this big boy will one day be released back into the wild.

• Beautiful Sawdust carpets in Benque, 1.5min. Good Friday 2019

• Belize Trip March 2019 Part 1, 8min. Spring Break Belize Trip with Daughter and Her Friend. Be prepared for sub par video and sound quality with even a misspelled word or two in my captions!

• Belize Trip March 2019 Part 2, 13min. Part 2 of our Belize trip with the kids. Catamaran, Zip Line, Waterfall and end of trip.

• Cuban Jazz in Belize, 4min. Visiting Jazz group from Cuba.

• Walking Around Belize City, 21min.

• Snorkeling Belize 2019, 1min.

• Fishermen cleaning the day’s catch attract a variety of marine life who feast on the scraps, 40sec.

• Dolphin Encounter in Belize, .5min. On the way to dive the Blue Hole, we encountered pods of dolphins who swam along side our boat in the perfectly turquoise water. What an incredible experience.

• Good Friday procession in San Pedro, 4min.

• Friday's view in Corozal, 4min.

• This 8-9 feet crocodile is using the Bayshore Drive canal on "Gringo Lane", Southend Corozal as its habitat, 10sec. It has, reportedly, been seen coming in and out of the canal. We already reported the sighting to Chris Summers of ACES to see if it can be relocated since it appears to live in or nearby the canal in a populated residential area of town.

• Same crocodile, .5min. This 8-9 feet crocodile is using the Bayshore Drive canal on "Gringo Lane", Southend Corozal as its habitat. It has, reportedly, been seen coming in and out of the canal. We already reported the sighting to Chris Summers of ACES to see if it can be relocated since it appears to live in or nearby the canal in a populated residential area of town.

• White mall use to reconstruct the George Price Highway In Belize, 2.5min.

• A word from :Jarrell "BIG Baby" Miller, 1min. "I'm owning up to it,I'm a deal with it,I'm a correct it, And I'm going to Come Back Better....I'm humbled by the experience...." "Heavyweight contender Jarrell Miller has tested positive on a third VADA test, this time due to trace amounts of EPO and a repeat infringement for GW1516 (endurobol), according to reports."

• White-collared Manakin on Lek, 2min. This is a brief video showing a male White-collared Manakin (Manacus candei) dancing, clicking and buzzing on his lek to attract a mate. There were several leks in the forest at the Bocawina Rainforest Resort and I was standing within twenty feet of four, but the foliage was very thick and this one provided the only decent view