FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and other specials

The San Pedro Sun

Bryce Peterson winds at the Pro FC Mixed Martial Arts Tournament
The San Pedro Sun congratulates islander Bryce Peterson on his victory at the Pro FC Mixed Martial Arts Tournament held in Orange Walk Town on Saturday, April 27th. The tournament saw fighters from Belize, Mexico and Guatemala.

American tourist dies while snorkeling off the coast of Ambergris Caye
An American tourist, identified as 67-year-old Lora Brook Peterson, died the morning of Sunday, April 28th, while snorkeling at Mexico Rocks Marine Reserve north of San Pedro Town. Peterson, who along with her family, was visiting from Wisconsin, USA, allegedly went into cardiac arrest, and despite being aided with prompt medical assistance, could not recover, and was declared dead around 11:25AM.

Wolfe's Woofer: Stuck in Traffic
"Linsford is running late but he'll be here," Mario said. "That means Maria decided to let him go out for a change," Vernon said. "She don't like him hanging around us. Six ball in the side pocket." This was last Thursday at the weekly meeting of our Nosenada club. Our club's purpose is to find excuses for friends to drink beer together. When Linsford arrived, he said, "I'm late because I was stuck in that golf cart for an hour trying to get home tonight. It's the same in the mornings. I'm sick of it."

Doctor Love: Personal Achievement
Dear Doctor Love, I am a woman in my mid-fifties with absolutely no talent in anything. I cannot sing or dance. I can't draw or paint. I can't dazzle with a dress I sewed, bake amazing dessert creations or grow a beautiful garden. I have nothing to brag about and nothing to show for my time on earth except raising two children to adulthood, which is nothing more than most women my age have done. I would like to be proud of one creative achievement. I want to exclaim over something I've accomplished. I want to surprise my husband and see the pride in his eyes at my new talent.

Misc Belizean Sources

mzz

Belize Ek' Balam Pok Ta Pok Team leaves for the 3rd Pok Ta Pok Worldcup
The Belize Ek' Balam Pok Ta Pok Team is on its way to represent Belize at the 3rd Pok Ta Pok Worldcup in San Salvador. This media blog wishes them the best of luck. Photo courtesy: Ek' Balam Pok Ta Pok Team.

The Yucatec Maya Culture Coloring Book
by Dr. Angela Banner Joseph who is a Belizean . You can get a copy of the book on Amazon.

Channel 5

Belizean Among the Murdered in Mexico
Belizean and Punta Gorda native Hakeem Arzu is said to have been murdered in Mexico. Mexican newspapers are reporting that four persons, one woman and three men, were executed over the weekend in Playa del Carmen. According to reports, a man and a woman were found executed on dirt roads, leading to the colony "Cristo Rey" in Playa del Carmen, on Saturday morning. It is presumed that these people were tortured and executed elsewhere. Two more bodies were found on the road to Xcalacoco near the road from Playa del Carmen to Cancun.

Three Dead in Road Traffic Accident
Oscar Portillo, 21 year old Efrain Martinez and 28 year old Kelvin Augustine have been identified as the victims who lost their lives yesterday night as a result of a road traffic accident. It happened at around eight o'clock when the men reportedly ran off the San Antonio bridge in the Orange Walk District. The men were traveling in a blue Toyota from Santa Cruz Village to Yo Creek Village. The driver reportedly lost control upon approaching the bridge, plunging into the river.

The Reporter

Mennonite Drowns In Blue Creek
The lifeless body of a Mennonite man was extracted from his vehicle which was submerged in a canal near the Blue Creek community early on Sunday morning. Just after 5:45 a.m on April 28th, responding officers from Orange Walk identified the deceased driver of the vehicle as Heinrich Reimer.

Woman Pronounced Dead, Was Taken To Placencia Police Station Unresponsive
Early this morning Kathrine Murphy, 56, was taken to the Placencia Police Station in an unresponsive state, the initial reports to the REPORTER news team is that police officers were told that she had been consuming alcohol and taking sleeping pills.

Horrific Scene Show 3 Men Drowned In Submerged Car
A horrific scene was witnessed by some Orange Walk residents, who called police, who then tried to help the 3 occupants that were in a car that ran off the road and into the New River, at the San Antonio Bridge in Orange Walk last night, Saturday April 27th.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Hurricanes edge Verdes and Tiger Sharks stun Dream Ballers in Griga in NEBL playoffs
The Belize Hurricanes and San Pedro TigerSharks took early leads in their best-of-three semifinal series in the National Elite Basketball League (NEBL) playoffs this weekend.

Belize wins Yucatan Beach Soccer Cup
To close off a weekend of sports victories, team Belize has taken the Gold in the 6th Yucatan Beach Soccer Cup. The team, consisting of 18 players, participated in the competition from April 26-28, beating out Celta Campeche in the finals to secure the victory.

Broadcasting Authority supports code of conduct
During today's workshop on children's rights and reporting at the Belize Biltmore Plaza, chair of the Belize Broadcasting Authority, Francine Burns, presented on the role of regulator, the Belize Broadcasting Authority in regulating and licensing media content.

UB hosts annual research conference
The University of Belize (UB) hosted its annual research conference under the Faculty of Management and Social Sciences on Thursday in Belize City. Dean, Bernard Watler, paid tribute to the founder of the conference, Dr. Juanita "Jean" Brice�o-Perriott, who came up with the idea of the conference nine years ago when she wanted to find a way to honor students who defended excellent research theses in their fields of study.

Belizean man murdered in Mexico
A Belizean man is among four people who were killed in Mexico this weekend. According to Mexican authorities, Punta Gorda native Hakeem Arzu was among a group of three men and one woman killed in Playa del Carmen.

Belmopan Bandits and San Pedro Pirates take lead in Premier League semifinals
Defending champions Belmopan Bandits and upstarts San Pedro Pirates are in the driver's seats of their semifinal encounters with Verdes F.C. and Belize Defence Force F.C., respectively, in the opening week of the Premier League of Belize's closing season season.

Police release tear gas to break up fight at Agric show grounds
Activities at the agric show this weekend was generally calm and peaceful if it was not for an incident near the Love FM stage where police had to release tear gas. Eyewitnesses report to BBN that a woman was dancing with a man when the man she was dancing with was stabbed by another man.

Early morning earthquake reported off the coast of Honduras; shaking felt in Belize
A 5.1 magnitude earthquake struck overnight in the Bay Islands of Honduras, around 1:43 this morning. Earthquake Track records a depth of 10 kilometers and the epicenter is located some 26 miles north of Savannah Bight, Honduras. This area is 170 miles southeast of Belize City.

Commissioner Chester Williams warns of selling alcohol to minors at agric show
This morning, Commissioner of Police, Chester Williams, issued a notice to everyone visiting the National Agriculture and Trade show, that the area where alcohol is being sold and consumed, as well as the gambling areas, will be restricted to adults only.

Blogs

Running Errands in Belize City - Necessary? Easy? Safe?
Last week, I headed from San Pedro to Belize City for a few hours of errands. To head to some bigger stores, some stores with more selection and some spots with lower prices than we have in San Pedro. To buy things I need and then to look at things I don't need�exactly. Sometimes it's just nice to head to a proper department store and browse. If you live on Ambergris Caye, is it necessary to go to Belize City? No. You can find almost everything that you need on the island. Almost. Is it easy to get to Belize City and then get around once you are there? It can be VERY easy. I took the water taxi to the city (1.5 hours) and then hopped different taxis to my various spots. And it was easy. But you can also fly (15 minutes) and hire one driver to take you around for a few hours.

Corozal Sailing Club held their Reggatta Race at Jammrock
Each year the Corozal Sailing Club held's their Reggatta Race in the month of April. On Saturday April 27, 2019 at 11:30am they Sailed across the Corozal Bay. The weather look not good. But, by mid-day the wind pick up. Which was a good thing. On, Sunday they Sailed across Corozal. With a better windy condition. Saw few of them struggling because of the wind condition.

International Sourcesizz

Taipei forms sister city ties with capital of Belize
Taipei forged a sister city relationship with Belmopan, the capital of Belize, on Monday to boost cooperation on culture, trade, environmental issues and tourism. Taipei Mayor Ko Wen-je and Khalid Belisle, the mayor of Belmopan, signed an agreement in Taipei to formalize the links. Belisle said forming sister city ties with Taipei represented an important milestone in the process of deepening the friendship between Taiwan and Belize, one of Taiwan's 17 diplomatic allies.

Videos

• National Agricultural & Trade Show 2019, 1.5hr.

• PLB Closing Season | Verdes FC vs Bandits SC | Semi Finals Live at the FFB Stadium, Belmopan, 2.5hr.

• Belize: What To Eat (inc. History Of Rice & Beans), 36min. * We discuss the most important cultural dishes in Belize.* We ask "Beans And Rice" or "Rice And Beans"?* Rock Lobster! * We discover the unhealthiest, yet tastiest breakfast food in the world.* Plus, The Royal Rat. Is Belize's famous rodent fit for a queen?

• Belizean Ant Nest - David Attenborough Impression, 1min. Belize is a beautiful country. Watch where you step though! Blue Hole National Park - Belize

• Visiting Harvest Caye, Belize, 16min. We enjoyed our short time in Belize! We arrived late due to a medical emergency that threw us off schedule, but it was worth the wait and the time it took to get off the Ship.

• FRIED CHICKEN MUKBANG | FRIENDSHIP CHINESE RESTAURANT IN BELIZE, 14min.

• Paco's Secret Beach Bar on Ambergris Caye, Belize, 6min. In today's video, we are heading out to Secret Beach on Ambergris Caye, Belize to a new bar call Paco's Secret Beach. Come along as I try some of their signature drinks and enjoy some good food. The Secret Beach area on the West Side of Ambergris Caye has exploded lately and become a main tourist and local destination.

• Belize Slickrock 2019, 10min.

• Belize Episode 3 - The Belize Zoo, 3min. Spring Break 2019 finds our extended family on an adventure to Belize! Join Kyra as she narrates a tour of the Belize Zoo. This zoo is a great way to introduce yourself to many of the native birds and animals you may see while in Belize.

• Belize Sea Kayaking, 13min.