FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and other specials

The San Pedro Sun

Wolfe’s Woofer: Language and Communication
“We’ve moved back to the island for good,” Julie said. “We left here because of the high prices but after a year we decided it was too hard for us to make it in Mexico.” Sherry and I were having lunch at a beachside restaurant when Julie wandered by and joined us for a drink. “We couldn’t make it in Mexico because I couldn’t learn Spanish,” she said. “It caused me no end of problems.” “Such as?” I asked.

Doctor Love: Beach Bride-to-Be
Dear Doctor Love, I just got engaged and my fiancé and I want to have our wedding in San Pedro on the beach, wearing crisp white linen with three close couples to join us. Instead of a reception, we’d rather bar-hop around the island and eat lobster burritos in our beach front hotel room for a week. My family isn’t taking this news well. My mother thinks a church is the only appropriate wedding venue. Dad is devastated that he won’t get to walk me down the isle and my sister is furious because she and her husband and their four kids aren’t invited—four toddlers, to be exact.

Misc Belizean Sources

mzz

Photos of the East Indian Cultural Show
Dance presentation, food, Bouncy and lots more presented for the public.

Orlindo Jones passes away
Veteran semi-pro football player Orlindo “Jonesy” Jones passed away last night at the KHMH. Original from Calcutta Village in the Corozal District, he is no stranger to the football family. In his young days he played with Calcutta FC, Sugar Boys, Libertadores FC and made his debut on the international stage playing with La Victoria Semi-Pro team. When he relocated to San Pedro, he was part of the support staff for many of the Semi-pro teams as well as local teams. He also held football camps with kids on the island. He was into sports and he was passionate about it! In football history in Belize, he was huge in his younger days. I saw him played alongside Buck Torres, Joe West, Tash Gutierrez and many other huge football names! He will be buried next to his son in San Pedro. However, his family needs help to bury him. Whatever financial contribution will be welcome! Let’s send him off good!

San Pedro Traffic Dept. to inspect rental carts speed limiters
The San Pedro traffic Department will be going round all rental companies and inspecting their carts, any found with the speed limiter altered or modified will have to reset the limiter before the cart can be used. Too many tourists are crashing rental golf carts. Many are getting injured, and leave the island with bad memories. One of the main factors contributing to these accidents is golf cart companies modifying the speed governor.

Channel 5

Murder In Belize City
20 year old Tyrique Francis was shot and killed last night in Belize City. Francis was shot twice to the chest, once to the neck and arm. According to reports, Francis and another man were on Fabers Road Extension when a lone gunman emerged from the bushes and pounced on the unsuspecting duo. Police rushed Francis to the KHMH where he was pronounced dead at around 9:20 p.m. At the scene, police found seven .45 Aguila expended shells.

30 year old Ronald Michael was shot last night
It happened after 3 o’clock this morning when Michael and his common law wife were on Baymen Avenue. Reports are that the gunman emerged from the bushes and fired at Michael who was hit on his arm.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Basketball finals win completes San Pedro’s great sporting weekend
Saturday, May 18, is inarguably the greatest day ever sporting-wise for the island of Ambergris Caye and particularly its main settlement, San Pedro Town. For a few hours between 7 p.m. and midnight, San Pedro was the center of Belize’s sporting world, with a double dip of championship football and basketball on the menu.

Hurricane Season has not yet arrived but we have a tropical disturbance in the Atlantic
The National Hurricane Center (NHC) has issued a report on an area of disturbed weather in the Atlantic that has a chance to become a tropical depression or even a tropical storm this coming week. According to the NHC, it is not expected to affect [Belize] or the United States and is forecast to move south of Bermuda.

A National Assembly united will pass revised Maritime Areas Act on Monday and Tuesday
The People’s United Party (PUP) has indicated that, following a parliamentary caucus meeting on Friday, it will lend its support to the planned amendment to the Maritime Areas Act, to be introduced in a Special Sitting of the House of Representatives on Monday and the Senate on Tuesday.

Blogs

I Won’t Dwell On It…
Happy Sunday morning all. It’s been over a week since I last posted. And while I have slowed down a bit here in the last few months to work on a bigger project, this has been too long of a stretch. And I can sugar coat the reasons why but… It’s been the weather. Hazy. Chokingly hot. Bright blue sky barely peeking out at all. I’ve heard that brush fires in Mexico from the DRY weather are exacerbating this strange weather. And the sargassum that has been plaguing us to some degree for the past year, has become overwhelming. This is “our beach” at 7 miles north. There. I said it. And I won’t dwell on it here. And, instead, show you some pictures of the great stuff from my last week. Because there is tons of it.

International Sourcesizz

Arlie Petters is one of the few tenured black mathematicians. He wants to diversify his field
When Arlie Petters learned that there are only about a dozen black tenured faculty across the nation’s top 50 math departments, he was not surprised. Petters spent his childhood in Dangriga, Belize, born to a black mother and a Mestizo father. He said he remembers the natural beauty of the country, but he doesn’t forget the poverty. He remembers standing in line to receive cornmeal and powdered milk from aid workers. He remembers studying under kerosene lamps and studying the night sky. In Belize, he explained, the night sky has millions of stars visible to the naked eye. Observing the stars as a child, he became fascinated by astronomy. Combined with his interests in art, Petters’ passion for mathematics emerged.

Videos

• Mr. Andre Perez, PUP Standard Bearer announces an ambitious fact finding tour, 1.5min.

• Our Future: Anti-Litter Video, min. shame campaign PSA keep our rivers clean for our future. Daniel Velazquez created this video with footage from his documentary about last Summer's Sustainable Summer Camp in Bullet Tree. The kids did many clean-ups along the majestic Mopan, and after seeing the amazing amount of litter that was left each weekend, the kids have something to say to the loser litterbugs. Great shame campaign.

• The Mike & Lori Belize Story, 4min. Mike and Lori travel with their friends Seth and Jaime to Placencia, Belize to scuba dive in the beautiful Caribbean sea!

• Belize - Jan. 2019 - Half Moon Caye, 27min. Our 20th Wedding Anniversary!! We took a trip with Island Expeditions (the "Lighthouse Reef Adventure") and we definitely would like to do this again. The guides were wonderful, the food fresh and delicious, the water perfect, and the group lots of fun. You practically have the island to yourself: grab your coffee and watch the sunrise from your hammock and then, when you hear the conch call, head for the picnic tables. We don’t scuba, but you can walk off any beach, slip on your fins, and snorkel through world class reefs. And the Blue Hole is a mere 15 min. boat ride north. Go. Go, now!

• Live Music In Belize Tourist Village, 4.5min.

• Regenerative Citrus Growing & HLB - Regeneration Belize Presentation - By Dr. Fernando Tersi, 59min. Presentation about the challenges of regenerative citrus growing, with a focus on H.L.B. Recorded at Regeneration International Conference in Belize, 2018. Presentation By Dr. Fernando Tersi

• Belize Aggressor III Morning Dives May 5 2019 Sandy Slope, 2.5min. These are the shake out dives. First two dives on the Belize Aggressor III liveaboard dive boat. Morning, May 5, 2019. The dive site is called Sandy Slope located on the West side of the Turneffe Atoll.

• Belize 2018 diving, 4min.

• Backpacking through Belize and Guatemala, 10min.

• Medicinal Plants of Belize - Regeneration Belize Presentation - By Rosita Arvigo, 57min. Presentation about the Medicinal Plants of Belize. Recorded at Regeneration International Conference in Belize, 2018. Presentation By Rosita Arvigo

• The cacomistle, 1/2min. Just seen on the night hike to Aurthor’s Seat! The cacomistle, Bassariscus sumichrasti, is a nocturnal, arboreal and omnivorous member of the carnivoran family Procyonidae. Its preferred habitats are wet, tropical, evergreen woodlands and mountain forests, though seasonally it will venture into drier deciduous forests.