FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and other specials

Misc Belizean Sources

mzz

12th NRM Symposium
Join us at the University of Belize Jaguar Auditorium for the premiere showcase of Belizean and Belize based natural resource research and management. We had another record year of abstract submissions - this year we will feature 39 presentations over the two days, covering too many topics to list here (marine, freshwater and terrestrial). Look out also for our Posters and Cocktails event, on the evening of Day 1, featuring 20 presented posters at the Embassy of Mexico.

Hol Chan Marine Reserve takes non-compliant Fishermen to Court
On May 21", 2019, four fishermen were found guilty in the San Pedro Town Magistrates Court for offences committed against the Fisheries Act. Let the massage echoes, that offenders will be punished for violating the regulations of the marine reserve. These cases were A result of patrols conducted by the Hol Chan Marine Reserve Compliance Enforcement Team in April in the Ca, Cangrejo and Zone E Areas of the Reserve. Hol Chan Marine Reserve has significantly inaeased its enforcement efforts throughout the entire reserve including the reef side and Western portions. Members of the San Pedro community have been very helpful in providing tips and information which have resulted in successful patrols. Kindly note that all persons on a fishing vessel, engaged in commercial fishing, are required to have a fisherfolk license and that the vessel must also be registered with the Fisheries Department. All marine products caught must be within season and meet the legally required size limits. Anyone who has any information on Fisheries Violations or other concerns can contact the Hol Chan Marine lteserve at 226-2247 or via WhatsApp at 671-0191.

Channel 5

Murder in Corozal
News Five has confirmed that a popular vendor was killed after he was attacked during an altercation. The person has since been identified as Jesus Mossiah and he was stoned to death.

Robbers Caught During Brazen Attempted Robbery
An attempted robbery at A and R in Belize City results in the detention of two men. According to reports, the men attempted to rob store but police quickly foiled their plot.

The Reporter

Drowning In Valley Of Peace – Cayo
A man reportedly died while in the company of others in Valley of Peace community, Cayo, this afternoon. Reports reaching the Reporter are that the man, dressed in only a pair of shorts, was socializing with the others at the riverside behind the reservoir sometime around 12:30pm, and went into the water and disappeared.

Robbery On Camera At A&R In The City
In plain sight in a department store that has been robbed several times was the target of another robbery today, and police apprehended the suspects who held up A&R Store in Belize City shortly before midday today.

TO BE OR NOT ‘TB’
By: Dr. Abigail Joseph - It is not uncommon for doctors to be the center of scrutiny or accused of something based on misinterpretation. Many times we do things in the best interest of others, but our actions are interpreted as scornful. I can only speak for myself and my experiences and I have had several instances where my actions have been misconstrued.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Robbery in progress in Belize City
Eyewitnesses report to Breaking Belize News that there is a robbery in progress in Belize City at A&R on the Philip Goldson Highway. The robbers have reportedly fired shots and police are on the scene.

Second annual Banana Fest started last night
Last night, the Second Annual Banana Fest began in Stann Creek. The three-day event is being hosted by the faculty and staff of San Juan Bosco Roman Catholic School in collaboration with Fyffes, Big Creek Group of Companies and United Democratic Party standard Bearer Ivan Williams.

Belize and Guatemala meet to discuss ICJ affairs
Following a delay earlier this month due to scheduling issues, the Foreign Ministers of Belize and Guatemala met yesterday to discuss the necessary steps to take the territorial dispute to the International Court of Justice (ICJ).

Blogs

Saturday May 25, 2019 Corozal Bay, Belize View
This is the Reason Why I wake up in the morning's in Corozal to take photo's of the Scenery Corozal has. Who said Corozal does have nothing to do? Of course, there is. If you get to know the town more you will get familiarized with the history Corozal has to offer. Corozal is located towards the northernmost region in Belize. On the map, the district is just 8 miles N of Belize City and 31 miles N of the famous Orange Walk Town. Those coming from Mexico will be happy to know that Corozal is only 8 miles south of the Mexican border. This quaint seaside town is located south of the Rio Hondo. The scenic river of Rio Hondo forms a border between Belize and Mexico.

International Sourcesizz

From sharks in seagrass to manatees in mangroves, we’ve found large marine species in some surprising places
When we think of mangrove forests, seagrass meadows and saltmarshes, we don’t immediately think of shark habitats. But the first global review of links between large marine animals (megafauna) and coastal wetlands is challenging this view – and how we might respond to the biodiversity crisis. Mangrove forests, seagrass meadows and saltmarshes support rich biodiversity, underpin the livelihoods of more than a billion people worldwide, store carbon, and protect us from extreme weather events. Mangrove forests, seagrass meadows and saltmarshes are the three key vegetated habitats found in coastal wetlands. We know marine megafauna also use these habitats to live, feed and breed. Green turtles and manatees, for instance, are known to eat seagrass, and dolphins hunt in mangroves.

Videos

• BTB Sea Kayak Challenge 2019! Saturday coverage, 70min.

• Continued coverage of the BTB Love Belize Sea Challenge, 2hr23min.

• Sea Challenge Kayak race 2019 arrives in San Pedro!, 8min.

• Snorkeling in Belize, 9min.

• Belize 2019, 25min. This is a video of my wife Dawn and I's trip to Belize. We spent 12 days in Belize, mainly on Ambergris Caye, with a day trip to Caye Caulker. We did a 7 day Yoga retreat at Akbol which was amazing. We stayed in San Pedro for 5 days

• Scuba Diving Belize, Lighthouse Reef Atoll, Hat Caye Wall from Aggressor III, 2.5min. Scuba diving in Belize off Lighthouse Reef Atoll aboard the Aggressor III. The afternoon of May 5 2019. The dive site is Hat Caye Wall

• Rio Dulce to Belize, 13min. We finished hurricane season in Rio Dulce, Guatemala, then had a rough start to the new cruising season. But we sailed to Placencia, Belize, on our second try.

• Belize Dragon fruit, 1min.

• My First Trip to Belize, 15min. This is some footage I got on my phone from our trip to Belize in 2018

• Game 3, NEBL 2019 | Tiger Sharks vs Hurricanes| Live at San Pedro High School Part 1, 2hr. Tiger Sharks 81 vs Hurricanes 78, San Pedro leads series now 2 games to 1

• Game 3, NEBL 2019 | Tiger Sharks vs Hurricanes| Live at San Pedro High School Part 2, 8min.

• Chocolate Festival 2019, 15min.