A Caye Caulker resident is fighting for his life at the Karl Heusner Memorial, Hospital having undergone a round of life-saving surgery today following a stabbing on the island. On Wednesday night, police responded to reports of an incident at a local bar on the island and arrived to find that William Thomas was stabbed during an altercation with a person he knew. ASP Alejandro Cowo says that the alleged assailant is in police custody pending further investigation.

ASP Alejandro Cowo, O.C., C.I.B., Belize City

“William Thomas, twenty-one years of Caye Caulker village, suffering from an apparent stab wound to the back. He was transported to Belize City Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital because of his condition. He went under surgery a while ago and he is listed in a critical but stable condition. What police gathered so far is that Mister Thomas was in front of I and I Reggae Bar located on Luciano Reyes Street when he had an altercation with another male person who inflicted the stab wound to him. Police have since detained that person and is custody and police are interviewing that person to see what other information they can get from him.”

Reporter

“What may have precipitated this altercation between these two individuals?”

ASP Alejandro Cowo

“It is something that we are trying to establish as we have not had the opportunity to speak to Mister Thomas since he went into surgery this morning and is sedated at this time and we cannot speak to him.”

Channel 5