Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
ConnieB Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hello from Minnesota!

Does anyone know the status of Tranquility Bay resort? Are they still open? I'm planning a trip in December 2019 - had a confirmed reservation but my deposit was refunded last week and now they're not answering phone or emails.

If Tranquility is closed, would that mean Sapphire Beach is the farthest north resort now?

Thanks,
Connie

A
A
Hi Connie,
Sorry that your deposit was refunded. Tranquility Bay is a special place.
I was told that the resort was sold. I have no idea what the new owner plans to do.
I stopped by the other day with some fishing buddies to have some soft drinks. Everything was normal.
Yes, you are correct, with Tranquility Bay not being available, Sapphire Beach is the farthest resort north. For the moment.
Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville is under construction at the old Sueno del Mar spot. I have no idea when this will be open.

C
ConnieB Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks AC Lover, I'll keep trying to get hold of them. I was really looking forward to that location...

C
ConnieB Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Well. I'm still unable to reach Tranquility Bay so I guess we'll have to choose another place. :-(

One thing we want is snorkeling from the beach. I'm looking at the satellite photos but it's a little hard to tell. Does anyone know how the snorkeling would be at Sapphire Beach area as compared to the Portofino / Matachica area? Would there be a big difference?

Thanks,
Connie

Very shallow waters way out from the shoreline at Sapphire Beach.

You won't find from-beach snorkeling anyplace else - but Portofino/Mata Chica are in areas where you can easily kayak to fabulous reef snorkeling - same can be said for Los Encantos, Indigo and Caye Villas.

You can kayak on complimentary kayaks from Sapphire Beach to the reef as you can from all of the other resorts on the east coast of the island.

W
W
I believe that you can no longer kayak out to the reef in the area around Mexico Rocks as it is now in the Hol Chan Reserve and requires a day pass and a tour guide. Otherwise you can kayak to any other area and snorkel.

There is a small portion of the Mexico Rocks area that now requires a licensed tour guide as it has now been declared a Marine park which has restrictions and the Hol Chan park has similar rules.

Last edited by Amanda Syme; 06/24/19 05:16 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 289 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.