FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, Reef TV, KREM, and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Belize Now, Talk Ah Di Town, and other specials.

The San Pedro Sun

Official Police Report re: Sunday Double Murder
On June 23rd, 2019, about 11:30 a.m., the San Pedro Police responded to a report in an area about one mile west of San Pedro Town. Upon arrival, they observed a light in color purple and black skiff with registered name JOHNNIE G, and inside the skiff, they observed the lifeless body of Mario Nestle Jr Graniel, 53-year-old, Belizean Tour Guide of Boca Del Rio Area, San Pedro Town, with multiple gunshot wounds to his body. They also observed the lifeless body of Gary Paul Swank 53-year-old, American of the USA address, floating face down in the lagoon about 30 feet away from the skiff, with multiple apparent gunshot wounds to the body. Initial police investigation revealed that about 10:00 a.m., Mario Graniel and Gary Paul Swank went fly fishing within the San Pedro Town lagoon, when a dark color skiff passed by and opened fire on the boat that Mario Graniel and Gary Paul Swank were in, as a result causing their injuries.

Letter of Intent Signed between Belize and the Republic of China (Taiwan) for Cooperation in Tourism
As a part of the celebrations of the 30th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between Belize and the Republic of China (Taiwan), the Ministry of Tourism and Civil Aviation of Belize and the Ministry of Transportation and Communications of the Republic of China (Taiwan) signed a Letter of Intent on a framework for tourism cooperation. The signing took place in Belize City on June 19, 2019. The Letter of Intent is a first step towards bilateral cooperation in the field of tourism to further strengthen communication and collaboration between both countries, promote information sharing and knowledge transfer, and support professional expert exchanges and capacity building programs.

Wolfe’s Woofer: That Special Restaurant
“I couldn’t wait to get out of there,” I told Sherry after we left the restaurant. “I know what you mean,” she said. “I’ll be more careful about who we have dinner with from now on. Those two argued and bitched at each other from the appetizers through the dessert.” “I’d much rather go out with people like Bruce and Becky,” I said. “In all the years we’ve known them I’ve never heard either of them say a cross word about the other. I wonder how they do it.”

Thirty-one Youths Successfully Complete Belize Youth Challenge Programme
The Ministry of Human Development, Social Transformation and Poverty Alleviation and the Ministry of National Security held a passing out ceremony today to recognize the thirty-one (31) cadets who successfully completed the Belize Youth Challenge Program (BYC). The young men, ages 15 to 17, comprise the second cohort of the BYC program which was introduced in October 2017 for at-risk youths. As part of the 10-month residential program, the youths engaged in academic lessons, physical training/drills, and learnt vocational skills such as agriculture, woodwork and hospitality.

Doctor Love: Middle-Aged Crisis
Dear Doctor Love, I have spent the last two years in a quiet panic because I am turning fifty this year. I am so unhappy that I can’t stop the changes that are happening in my body and every time I look in the mirror and see the beginnings of sagging jowls and lines around my eyes I feel like crying. The one extra pound I gained in my thirties has tuned into twenty in my late forties and while I am not fat, the hourglass figure that I had in my younger years has become more of a pear.

Ambergris Today

Double Murder Of Island Tour Guide And American National
The San Pedro Police Department is investigating a double murder that took place today, Sunday, June 23, 2019, on Ambergris Caye. Confirmed dead are local tour guide 53-year-old Mario Nestor Graniel Jr. 53yrs and American National 53-year-old Gary Paul Swank. Police report of visiting an area on the lagoon located one mile west of San Pedro Town where upon arrival saw a light purple and black skiff with registration number BZ-1427 name JOHNNIE G. Inside the skiff was the lifeless body of Mario Nestor Graniel Jr., Belizean Tour Guide of Boca Del Rio Area San Pedro Town. He was in a fetal position behind the steering wheel of the skiff with two apparent gunshot the the right lower foot, one apparent gunshot wound to the right upper chest and one apparent gunshot wound to the right side of the face above the right eye.

Various Belizean Sources

mzz

The Legend of the Blue Hole Monster
“It was HUGE!” Cap’n Ray declared. “The monster arched … and dove … at an incredible speed,” Chris Biagi said. “The water became turbulent”, noted George Strauss. “The creature had a snake-like head with large red eyes that looked like flashlights” recalled Marisol of her strange encounter with what must be the longest sea creature alive. Four people, three Americans and one Venezuelan, a woman, were out diving by the Blue Hole for fun. All four of them saw an unusual sea creature which, for size and elusiveness can compare with the Loch Ness Monster of Scotland. Scientifically, if other independent documentation can be obtained, the Blue Hole Monster could become one of the great biological discoveries of marine life.” The descriptions which follow are taken from the affidavits of the eye-witnesses themselves. The charts and diagrams are from Cap'n Ray's pen.

Double Murder on Ambergris Caye
Police in San Pedro Town are investigating a double murder which occurred this morning. According to reports, police were called out to a lagoon, a mile west of San Pedro Town. There they saw “Johnnie G”, a black skiff and the bodies of 53 year old Mario Graniel and 53 year old Gary Swank. Graniel, a tour guide was seen behind the steering wheel of the skiff with 2 gunshot wounds to the right lower foot, 1 to the right upper chest and 1 to the right side of the face. Swank, a USA citizen was seen floating face down in the lagoon about 30 feet away from the skiff. He was shot in the chest, cheek, left arm and lower back. Reports are that both men went fishing when another skiff passed by and opened fire at them.

Mr. Mario Graniel passes away
Mayor Daniel Guerrero, the San Pedro Town Council and Staff would like to extend its deepest condolences to the Graniel friends and family on the tragic passing of Mr. Mario Graniel. May his family and friends find the strength in each other to overcome this great loss. May he rest in peace.

Crocodile Research Coalition’s Next Gen Croc
The last few days a few young and enthusiastic Belizean students from different parts of the country participated at the 42nd Annual International Herpetological Symposium in Belize City through CRC’s Next Gen Croc Program. The 10 students presented on topics that ranged from crocs to sea turtles to frogs and snakes. Congratulations to all the students for a wonderful job educating people about the wonderful wildlife of Belize!

Photos from Taste of the Caribbean 2019/a>
Taste of the Caribbean is the region’s premier culinary competition, food & beverage educational exchange and Caribbean cultural showcase. Since 1993, the Caribbean’s best chefs and culinary teams unite at Taste to compete, demonstrate their skills, learn from each other and offer the general public a scintillating exhibition of the most delectable culinary treats of the islands.

Ulama Tournament
July 27, 10am in Yo Creek Village

Xbáalam Naj
The XBalam Nah church in Chan santa Cruz(Carrillo puerto,Quintana Roo, Mex) is the only church in the Americas build by white Slaves . The Yucatec Maya group known as the Cruzoob Maya were able to create a modern Maya state called Chan Santa Cruz . The X-Baláan Naj was completed in 1860 during the leadership of the indigenous leader Bernardino Cen. After the Mexican Army took Santa Cruz, on May 3, 1901, the Xbáalam Naj church was used as a dungeon, stable, chiquero, cellar. The Maya never occupied the place again even though the Constitutionalist government of Carranza gave them back in 1915. Their descendants consider that the sacred site in which their ancestors guarded the Holy Maya Cross was tainted by the tsulo'ob (white Yucatecans) and uaches (Mexicans).

Channel 5

Official Police Report on Bodies Found
On June 22nd, 2019, about 1:30 p.m., acting on information received, police visited an area behind Mapp Caye about 7 miles off Belize City. Upon arrival, they observed the decomposed bodies of two male persons tied together in some mangroves. The bodies were identified as 21 year old Jamar Martinez and 19 year old Allyson Jones. Both bodies were observed with gunshot injuries. The bodies were transported to the Belize Medical College where a post mortem examination will be conducted

The Reporter

A San Pedro Tour Guide & An American Found Dead
Police suspect that popular San Pedro tour guide Mario Graniel, 53, was the target of gunmen in a skiff who killed him and a tourist he was with as they were fly-fishing just before midday today.

Two Bodies Found, Tied Together Near Mapp Caye
Around 1:30 Saturday afternoon, Police were called to an area behind Mapp Caye, seven miles from Belize City, where they found the bodies of Jamar Martinez, 21 and Allyson Jones, 19. The two men had been shot and tied together, and had apparently floated at sea for days before they were found.

Police Week Kicks Off, Compol Encourages Church Attendance
Police Week 2019 kicked off today with officers across the country attending Church services in their respective communities. According to Police Commissioner Chester Williams, who has encouraged Church attendance by his officers on a regular base, “as a Police Department we are God fearing and believe that our work can only be achieved by ensuring that our Creator is always in the midst of everything we do.”

US FTC – Builds Case Against AIBL
The United States Federal Trade Commission (FTC) case against the principals of the Sanctuary Bay real estate scam, which defrauded American consumers of over $100 million, has progressed with the agency depicting Atlantic International Bank Ltd., which was forced to close down amid the scandal’s fallout, as central to knowingly facilitating the scam.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Double murder reported during fishing trip
Island newspaper, The San Pedro Sun reports that a double murder happened during a fishing […]

Police halt apparent attempt to refuel suspected drug plane in south
Independence police have recovered some 206 gallons of suspected aviation fuel after reports that a […]

Family loses everything in house fire in Dolores village, Toledo
A family from Dolores Village, Toledo is appealing to the public for assistance after their […]

Belizeans in the diaspora unite to help child,11, who was shot in the face
The Belizean community in Houston, Texas are coming together to hold a fundraiser for Kyron […]

Police find 2 decomposed bodies in Mapp Caye
Authorities today confirmed the discovery of 2 bodies. A police report indicates that about 1:30 pm […]

Blogs

San Pedro LobsterFest 2019: It Just Gets Bigger and Better
Last night was the BIG San Pedro LobsterFest Block party. LOTS of live music – including the AMAZING steel drum band and GilHarry 7 – one of the biggest bands in the country. LOTS of booths serving lobster in countless ways…from Lobster Corn dogs to Lobster Tacos to fresh grilled tails… I got there early – 4:30pm – a full half an hour before the event was supposed to start and everyone was ready to go. The crowd would get BIG as the night went on…lots of eating and drinking and dancing. I had made a big decision. It may sound crazy but I said NO to sitting on the judges’ panel for Best Lobster Dish 2019. After much back and forth – after doing it for years – I wanted to get there early…eat just one lobster dish – rather than 20 – and really enjoy things.

International Sourcesizz

Belize national security minister visits Taiwan
Belizean Minister of National Security John Saldivar arrived in Taiwan on Monday for a five-day trip to mark the 30th anniversary of diplomatic relations between the Central American ally and the Republic of China (Taiwan), according to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA). Making his second trip to Taiwan as Belize's top national security chief, Saldivar will meet with Taiwan's National Security Council head David Lee, Defense Minister Yen De-fa and Vice Foreign Minister Miguel Tsao during his trip, which concludes Friday.

Videos

• Taiwan Belize Friendship Fair pt1, 3hr.

• Taiwan Belize Friendship Fair pt2, 2hr.

• Victoria House in Belize, 4.5min. Nikki's checking in and giving us a trip report!

• Tugboat & Sugar Barges, New River, Belize, 1min. A tugboat pulling sugar barges south along the New River next to Maraca's Restaurant in Orange Walk Town, Belize, during the summer 2019 Ethnographic Field School in Belize

• Hopkins Village, the friendliest village in Belize, 2min. Welcome to beautiful and friendly Hopkins Village, Belize. Our NSF REU Site fieldwork occurs in Hopkins, Belize.

• That Time I Went To Belize, 22min. I went to Dangriga, Belize this summer for a week-long marine biology class studying the biological effects of lionfish on the coral reef ecosystem. It was fun!

• NACL SemiFinals 2019 | Caesar Ridge FC vs Roaring Creek United | Live at MCC Grounds, Belize City, 2hr.

• Taste of the Caribbean | Bartending Competition, 13min.

• Taste of the Caribbean | Team Competition, 27min.

• Chef Sean Kuylen giving his speech at this morning’s Caribbean Hospitality Industry Exchange Forum (CHIEF) presentation on " What is Caribbean Cuisine“, 1.5min.