What is the story with the murdered doctor? #536984
06/26/19 09:06 AM
06/26/19 09:06 AM
LEANDER, TX
A
ATX Offline OP
ATX  Offline OP
A
Trying to convince wife to move that way over the next year or two and this is not what I needed.

Re: What is the story with the murdered doctor? [Re: ATX] #536985
06/26/19 11:05 AM
06/26/19 11:05 AM
Chicago
R
Ridgebackmix Offline
Ridgebackmix  Offline
R
We are planning on building one day on Ambergris Caye. It seems like the government, military, local police, etc. needs to crack down hard on gang violence if they want tourism and retirement there to continue to flourish.

https://abcnews.go.com/Internationa...tor-trouble-local-gang/story?id=63929919

Re: What is the story with the murdered doctor? [Re: ATX] #536986
06/26/19 03:09 PM
06/26/19 03:09 PM
San Pedro Town, Ambergris Caye...
Amanda Syme Offline

Amanda Syme  Offline
Yes there needs to be a crackdown on these criminals and crimes.

Re: What is the story with the murdered doctor? [Re: ATX] #536987
06/26/19 04:53 PM
06/26/19 04:53 PM
Chicago
R
Ridgebackmix Offline
Ridgebackmix  Offline
R

Re: What is the story with the murdered doctor? [Re: ATX] #536989
06/26/19 06:25 PM
06/26/19 06:25 PM
LEANDER, TX
A
ATX Offline OP
ATX  Offline OP
A
206 views and only two people have responded. Makes me think its something to worry about.

Re: What is the story with the murdered doctor? [Re: ATX] #536992
06/26/19 08:37 PM
06/26/19 08:37 PM
Trinidad, Colorado, USA
P
PHELANSR Offline
PHELANSR  Offline
P
Overall crime in Belize has declined, when compared to 2018. It appears this was a "at the wrong place, at the wrong time" for the doctor. Seems the guide had some issues with a local crime gang, that he had an attempt on him the evening prior - yet still took on this doctor for a guided tour. Doesn't make it right, just unfortunate. You hear of some deaths in Belize and its a travesty- the latest news in GERMANY was a nurse who murdered 85 people - and you don't hear a blurb. My wife's German, and I still visit there several times a year. Like anywhere, you need to be aware - I'm just as aware walking RODEO DRIVE in California, downtown Chicago - or even my recent trip to Washington D.C..

Understand, you don't get rapid responses from locals - its a Caribbean Island - we don't sit on our computers all day, most don't even carry a phone. Its why you move to the Caribbean!

Re: What is the story with the murdered doctor? [Re: PHELANSR] #536995
06/26/19 10:01 PM
06/26/19 10:01 PM
LEANDER, TX
A
ATX Offline OP
ATX  Offline OP
A
Originally Posted by PHELANSR
Overall crime in Belize has declined, when compared to 2018. It appears this was a "at the wrong place, at the wrong time" for the doctor. Seems the guide had some issues with a local crime gang, that he had an attempt on him the evening prior - yet still took on this doctor for a guided tour. Doesn't make it right, just unfortunate. You hear of some deaths in Belize and its a travesty- the latest news in GERMANY was a nurse who murdered 85 people - and you don't hear a blurb. My wife's German, and I still visit there several times a year. Like anywhere, you need to be aware - I'm just as aware walking RODEO DRIVE in California, downtown Chicago - or even my recent trip to Washington D.C..

Understand, you don't get rapid responses from locals - its a Caribbean Island - we don't sit on our computers all day, most don't even carry a phone. Its why you move to the Caribbean!

I'm tired of people comparing Belize murders to other countries especially the US. I can tell you this I have never heard of someone shot on a fly fishing trip in the US. I am wanting to get away from crime not move to the same thing. Let's not forget about the guy stabbed on Caulker and the 5 lobster Fisherman killed in the last week. It's been a bloody week for the islands of Belize.

I get that people dont sit around their computers. But over 200 people had viewed the thread and only two responded. I appreciate your response and hope something is figured out soon. From the more I read San Pedro doesn't sound safe over the last few years.

Re: What is the story with the murdered doctor? [Re: ATX] #537002
06/27/19 06:34 AM
06/27/19 06:34 AM
San Pedro AC Belize
Diane Campbell Offline
Diane Campbell  Offline
There was a community meeting last night - very well attended. Many useful suggestions from the public. Commissioner of Police laid out a list of substantial actions that are under way.
Social media is not the place to solve this issue. If you want to know what is going on here, be here - if not physically then by way of support of concrete initiatives. Participate for real. Is your property in an area that has a neighborhood watch? If so - join and give support, which may include time and money.
Maybe you haven't heard of anybody shot while fly-fishing in the US - but an unfortunate number of children are killed just going to school, and visitors to your country have been slaughtered in nightclubs ...... so let's just say that we as a human beings have an issue - everywhere - and it needs to be addressed. San Pedro is taking this seriously - but again, social media is NOT where we work it out.

Re: What is the story with the murdered doctor? [Re: ATX] #537008
06/27/19 07:02 AM
06/27/19 07:02 AM
Los Barriles, Mx
R
Roberto El Vagabundo Offline
Roberto El Vagabundo  Offline
R
Originally Posted by ATX
Originally Posted by PHELANSR

I'm tired of people comparing Belize murders to other countries especially the US. I can tell you this I have never heard of someone shot on a fly fishing trip in the US. I am wanting to get away from crime not move to the same thing. Let's not forget about the guy stabbed on Caulker and the 5 lobster Fisherman killed in the last week. It's been a bloody week for the islands of Belize.

I get that people dont sit around their computers. But over 200 people had viewed the thread and only two responded. I appreciate your response and hope something is figured out soon. From the more I read San Pedro doesn't sound safe over the last few years.

I not really sure what you are requiring from people on this message board?
This was a terrible thing. But what do you reqiire from ?
The meeting last night hast bring up many concerns and ideas/ opinion. Police have certain suspicions. Changes will be made.

Like Ms Diane has said, computer is not where people here get things done. Many times only where rumors ate spread.
But maybe Belize is not the perfect bubble you live from?

Roberto

Re: What is the story with the murdered doctor? [Re: ATX] #537011
06/27/19 12:10 PM
06/27/19 12:10 PM
San Pedro Town, Ambergris Caye...
Amanda Syme Offline

Amanda Syme  Offline
You should not move to Belize to get away from crime. You will find there is crime just about any place in the world where there is two or more people. That is unfortunately part of human nature. You should move to Belize if you want a change of lifestyle. This is not Utopia. And it can be downright savage at times. But the majority of the time and the majority of people on the island and in the country are NOT direct victims of crime. The serious crime that is occurring is horrifying and our community together with the police, other security agencies and the local and central government are all working towards finding solutions but there is not simple quick solution. Belize is definitely not for everyone and those of us who live here often have to face that this is not the perfect paradise that many dream about. Our reality is that we have crime and criminals and corruption and many awful things. Our reality is also that we have a stunning clear blue sea, a beautiful living barrier reef, jungles teeming with life and some of the most wonderful friendly loving people you will ever meet in the world. Ex-pats and tourists can typically expect to have a crime free existence - and there are exceptions to that rule. I know we don't want to see comparisons but I have been a victim of crime in the US - it won't stop me going there. I see crime is rampant in many places where I choose to vacation and visit - but that won't stop me from traveling. There are thousands of places I would not choose to relocate to. Of course, to me, I live in a place that touches my heart and soul and despite the crime and problems this is my home that I cherish.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
San Pedro Fun Finder
Paradise Guy Event Calendar
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
August
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 227 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics69,552
Posts476,378
Members19,490
Most Online2,982
Jan 29th, 2019

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.