FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, Reef TV, KREM, and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Belize Now, Talk Ah Di Town, and other specials.

The San Pedro Sun

Wolfe’s Woofer: Prayer
“Grayson, no fighting in school,” Melody said, “O,K, Ma, Bye, Grandpa.” “Bye, sweet boy,” I said, as Grayson ran into the yard of the ABC pre-school. “I have exactly ten minutes to make it to my meeting,” Melody said, as we circled the downtown block twice looking for a parking space. “This is the most important meeting of my life,” she told me. “I’m meeting with a representative of a company in the U.S. that does themed weddings.

Fishermen Arrested for Illegal Possession of Conch
On Wednesday, July 3, 2019, Fisheries Officers conducted a routine patrol southeast of Channel Caye where two fishermen were arrested for the possession of 874 conch during the closed season. One of the fishermen, Mr. Bartolo Jimenez pleaded guilty to the charges and was fined $500 and an additional penalty of $17,480 ($20 for each conch) as a result of court proceedings held on July 4, 2019. The vessel, engine and fishing gears were all forfeited to the Government of Belize.

Doctor Love: Concerned Mother
Dear Doctor Love, I gave my daughter her first cell phone for her thirteenth birthday, and I laid down the rules for her being able to keep it. I told her I would be checking her texts, she was not allowed to use her phone at school, she was only allowed to use apps that I have approved and she was only allowed to spend a certain amount of money and time on it each month. There haven’t been many times I’ve had to remind her of the rules, but the last three or four times I checked her texts, I saw some very nasty messages from a friend of hers.

Various Belizean Sources

mzz

Southern Ambergris Caye Neighbourhood Watch July General Meeting on 10th
Our July General Meeting of the Members is coming up this Wednesday, July 10th at 7:00 pm at Lonestar Grill and Cantina 2.75 miles south. Join us for neighborhood updates, our security report and our financial report. Lonestar donates a portion of their evening's income to SACNW - so enjoy dinner with your friends and stay for the meeting! Every year at this time, our coffers drop. Please click the link below and make a contribution to SACNW - we appreciate your support! If you are on the island, donations of bug spray, batteries, water, garbage bags or cheques can be dropped off at the substation next to Miramar Villas. Hope to see you Wednesday!

R.I.P. to another Caye Caulker icon, Theodoro “Docho” Allen
Condolences to the extended Allen family on the loss of their loved one.

Village council, town board and city council elections in Belize without autonomy and local government reform has no real significance
From the time the government of Belize passed ordinances for cities, towns and villages, they have done little to grant these local governments autonomy to govern their own jurisdictions and generate money to manage their cities, towns and villages. Most of these municipalities started as villages where the residents of these villages would elect their chairmen and councillors without any laws or involvement from the Belize Central Government (BCG). From there they grew to towns and cities. As time went by the People’s United Party (PUP), which is the oldest political party in Belize, saw the benefits in passing local government laws to bring these municipalities under their control. After the legislation was passed, the minister of local government is vested with the power to deal with all matters regarding villages, towns and cities. The minister can go to cabinet and request a subvention for each village, town and city in the country.

The Reporter

Belmopan Robbery Gone Bad For Robber – Shot With His Own Gun
A man who reportedly robbed Buca Service Station in Belmopan is in a stable condition at the Western Regional Hospital after he was knocked down and then shot with a gun which he used to commit the robbery.

Man Dies From Drowning In San Pedro
A man reportedly died from drowning in San Pedro yesterday. Police got the alert sometime around 3:00 yesterday afternoon that the person, who was foaming from the mouth, was taken to a clinic on the island. When they went to the clinic they saw the man, dressed in brown boxers. Efforts to revive him were unsuccessful.

The Nationalization Saga
While it had become apparent for those of us looking on from the sidelines that BTL was in trouble, the proverbial fish has finally come from the river bottom and really explained to us the extent of the alligator’s belly pain. In just one short week, two monumental revelations have taken place; the company appears to have not been paying its fair share of taxes, unlike other Belizean companies, to the tune of $29 Million – and the foreign CEO announced his abrupt departure.

STIs – Out of Sight, Out of Mind?
A couple years ago, there were talks of a color coded condom that would change color according to the type of Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI) that it would come in contact with. Three teenagers from England won the Teen Tech Award for this brilliant concept. I mean could you imagine how wonderful it would be?

For The Love Of Dogs…
Our country’s streets are littered with strays and on garbage days, there are probably as many strays as there are garbage bags as they try to get a bone, if not a meal out of a bag before the truck cleans up. Strays have been a problem to everyone for as long as the country has been developing.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Suspect shot with his own gun during robbery in Belmopan
A robber was shot with his own weapon yesterday afternoon in Belmopan. A police report […]

Mexico defeats the US to win the Gold Cup; Brazil takes Copa America
Both the 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup and the 2019 Copa America tournament came to an […]

Join Digi’s Ride for Belize
Digicell Belize is hosting its 1st ever Ride for Belize! The Digi Ride for Belize is an annual […]

Police recover stolen vehicle
Reports reaching Breaking Belize News (BBN) are that police have located a vehicle that was […]

U.S. defends Women’s World Cup title with 2-0 win over Netherlands
Photo Credit BBC News For the fourth time and first back to back since 2007, […]

Olympic day postponed due to inclement weather
The Belize Olympic & Commonwealth Games Association (BOCGA) announced today that the Olympic Day event […]

Wet Sunday in Belize after an extended dry
The weather forecast, prepared by the National Meteorological Service, calls for cloudy skies, showers and […]

Blogs

A look at Sartenja Village, Corozal, Belize
Sarteneja is the largest fishing community and the second largest village in Belize. It recorded a population of 3,500 according to a 2016 estimate. The name "Sarteneja" is a Castilian distortion of its original Mayan name "Tza-ten-a-ha", which means "water between the rocks".It is located on the Sarteneja Peninsula, approximately forty miles by road from Orange Walk Town and is near the privately owned Shipstern Conservation & Management Area.

New River Quest 2019 Edition
The New River Quest is a paddle ultra-marathon and is becoming popular as one of the toughest endurance races on the sporting calendar. The annual event will be held on October 12th and 13th, it starts in Hill Bank Field Station, overnights in Orange Walk and finishes at Corozal Town 82 grueling miles later. The race has these eight (8) Canoe Categories. Teams may register and compete in one (1) Category only. All teams from all categories compete to be the overall Champion Winner.

A Sunday view from Children's Park in Corozal, Belize
This park is can be enjoyed by families and children that spend their time playing here. B.E.L came out to install Electricity as well for people to come out and enjoy the park. The park is located across of Saint Francis Xavier Primary School.

International Sourcesizz

Communique at the conclusion of 40th CARICOM conference in St Lucia: Where’s the beef?
The 40th regular meeting of the conference of heads of government of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) held in Saint Lucia July 3-5, 2019 under the chairmanship of the prime minister of Saint Lucia, Allen Chastanet, concluded pursuant to the question: Where’s the beef?; with special guests in attendance; the prime minister of Norway, Erna Solberg, the Secretary-General of the United Nations, His Excellency António Guterres and Congresswoman Stacey E. Plaskett. The chairman, the immediate past chair and the Secretary-General stressed the need to complete the measures outlined in the Implementation Plan for the CARICOM Single Market and Economy (CSME). They also emphasised the impact of climate change and the importance of Security co-operation. All speakers referred to the challenges facing small states.

Videos

• Placencia Belize Wedding, 10min.

• Temple Climbing, 3min.

• Coatimundi at the Belize Zoo, .5min. Coatimundi at the Belize Zoo during the summer 2019 Ethnographic Field School in Belize

• CTI Cup 2019 | Roaring Creek Utd vs Bandits | Live at FFB Stadium, Belmopan, 6hr.