Great read... A very complete description of the old market, as well as the Belizean diet, foods, shopping, preparation for meals and mealtime, and cooking. It gives you a real feel for historical Belize City, an excellent read for historical purposes as well as general information on foods as well as the culture of Belize.

Between sleep and wake, it didn’t take me too long to recognize who was rustling in the dark and what it meant when I was a child growing up in Belize City. During the week, but more often on the weekend (Friday and Saturdays), my mother would get up early in the morning before the break of dawn, got dressed and prepared to go to the Belize Central Market at the foot of the Swing Bridge in downtown Belize City. In the dark or with little light for a few minutes, she rustled in the kitchen to get two or three straw or canvas bags she needed to carry produce, meat and fish. With rope handles the canvas bag that was taken to the market was what Belizean called a market bag. The youngest in my family, on hearing the commotion in the house as she moved from the bed room to the kitchen, I would get up and ask her if I could go to the market with her. The answer was always yes and I would hurriedly and excitedly put on my clothes to go to the market.

In the days when most of the residents of the city didn’t have a refrigerator in their home, going to market was more a part of the rhythms of daily life in the city. In the morning it was the opening of the market, the start of Radio Belize’s broadcast, the swinging of the Swing Bridge, and residents of Belize City going to school and work. Residents of the city went to the market to buy something for tea (Breakfast) and to buy something for the mid-day meal. It was still part of the rhythms of daily life in the city when more families were able to buy refrigerators. On the weekend residents, of the city would often go to the market to buy meat and vegetables for Sunday dinna. What they didn’t buy at market they bought at the many shops in the city, which didn’t sell fresh produce like the “plantain shops” around the city. Romacs and Brodies were the two main supermarkets in the city, and there was short-lived Ideal supermarket. But most city residents were not regular shoppers at the supermarkets like affluent residents of the city.

LOTS more here....Market Day: Memories of the Old Belize City Central Market