Belize's first Maya Museum is in the planning phase and is expected to be completed by December of this year. The Museum will see exhibits from the Mayan as well as the Mestizo culture. Love News spoke to the curator, Hugo Carillo, who told us what the the museum will entail.

Hugo Ryne Carillo - Curator, Yucatec Maya Museum: " The museum itself will have the different sections: one of them will be as I mentioned, the Social War. The next one will have a session for the Yucatec Maya, the Belizeans and then we have people coming forward to make different donations of different pieces of artifacts so these things will be displayed. We will also have a Maya garden, all this will come together so that when you get there this will be like a little Mayan village within the community itself. We will highlight a lot of the Cruzo'ob and the Icaiche. Our history has been negated, our history has been written differently. I am not saying that all the authors do that but I think if we use this, our people, not just Mayas but also Belizeans. Visitors will see that yes this is the way that we need to highlight, we need to promote it, the facts, what has happened."

The Museum will be located in the San Lazaro Village, Orange Walk District, and hopes to educate Belizeans more about their history.

LOVEFM