Minor Fire in San Pedro Hotel
The staff and the guests at the Conch Shell Inn Hotel on San Pedro had a minor scare last night when a fire broke out in one of the rooms.
At around 7:20 p.m, first responders responded to a fire at the hotel, on Barrier Reef Drive.
When they arrived, they found room #4, on the second floor of the hotel, ablaze. Firefighters were able to quickly put the fire out, and when the cops questioned the manager, they were led to a faulty refrigerator.
Viviana Chun told police that this refrigerator had just been returned by a handyman earlier that day. She installed it in the same room that caught fire.
Investigators have been able to confirm that this very same faulty refrigerator was the cause of the blaze. Very fortunately, no one was occupying the room at the time. The fire caused minor damages.San Pedrito Fire Victims Lost Everything
Several hours later, at around 3 a.m., there was another fire on San Pedro, and in this one, the homeowners lost everything in the blaze.
This 2-story home in the San Pedrito area was being occupied by Casey Bladen and his in-laws. They were sleeping upstairs when the smell of smoke woke them up. He went to check, and that's when he found the lower flat on fire. Bladden and his family then tried to contain the flames, but they could not. After resolving some communication difficulties, this family was finally able to reach the National Fire Service, who put the blaze out, but not before all their belongings went up in smoke.
Bladden told the San Pedro Sun that he is trying to remain positive about the misfortune, and the hope is that he and his family will be able to recover from this disaster as soon as possible.Channel 7
=========================San Pedro Fire Department contains two fires
An official report on the fire at Conch Shell Inn stated that about 7:20PM San Pedro police visited the location, which counts with many surrounding business establishments. Upon their arrival, they observed the second-floor room engulfed in flames. The SPFD was already there, and under instructions of Fire Chief Gladston Buckner, the fire was completely extinguished. A volunteer who first responded to the scene said that he and others managed to contain the fire until the firefighters arrived. Initial investigations indicate the manager of Conch Shell Inn, 47-year-old Viviana Chun was alerted by guests about fire and smoke coming out of room number four. She immediately called the island fire department and the police. According to Chun, a refrigerator, which had been sent to be repaired was brought into the said room earlier that day.
On Thursday, August 8th at around 4:30AM, a fire was reported in San Pedrito. Firefighters observed a ground floor two-bedroom apartment in flames and quickly began hosing the blaze. The apartment was occupied by Casey Blades and his family. He shared with The San Pedro Sun that at the time of the fire, he was staying at his in-laws’ place, on the second floor above his home. According to him, around 3AM, smoke started to come into the flat on the second level and woke them up. “We came down to inspect what was happening and discovered that our apartment was on fire,” he said. Click here to read the rest of the article in the San Pedro Sun