Next Thread
Print Thread
SP Belize Express Water Taxi to Build Boat Terminal? #537802
08/16/19 06:31 AM
08/16/19 06:31 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Offline OP

Marty  Offline OP

Minister Heredia spoke about the proposed construction of another boat terminal on the island. The development has been proposed to take place in front of Ruby’s Hotel which was purchased by the San Pedro Belize Express Water Taxi company in December of last year. The company now wants to build a boat terminal along the beach but the plan for its mega-development is causing many concerns that it has been substantially downsized. Heredia explains:

Manuel Heredia Jr., Area Representative, Belize Rural South

“There was a plans that was done by the now owners of Ruby’s that they wanted to do a terminal at that point. There was a plan that was done and when they discussed with the neighbors they were not happy with the plan that they had. They felt that it was too big and it would be encroaching into their property. SO they went back to the drawing board and my understanding is that it is being downsized substantially to be able to do just be right in front where their property stands. I must say that in the future if the channel is build to accommodate the terminal at the back then whatever is over here will have to move over. In the meantime I believe what they are doing now will be substantially less than what they wanted to do. They wanted to do a first class. If you look at the plans it was a class. Even the neighbors said it was a beautiful plan but it is not the right thing for the area. I believe according to my last chat with the is that other than having the winds this side, all of those winds will be eliminated and it will be just the main pier with their terminal, substantially less.”

Hipolito Novelo

“Now it has your support?”

Manuel Heredia Jr.

“Not yet. I am saying if the neighbors are in support of it when they come back to it, it will have my support. If the neighbors are not in support, I’ve always been with my people like what I did with the Cayo Rosario thing. Even today, if they have been given the green light to go ahead, up to now i don’t know exactly one hundred percent what is it. I spoke with the Minister responsible and there will be no dredging, there will be no over the water cabanas. And I stand by that also. I will not support anything that my supporters do not like.”

Channel 5

Re: SP Belize Express Water Taxi to Build Boat Terminal? [Re: Marty] #537810
08/16/19 06:49 PM
08/16/19 06:49 PM
San Pedro AC Belize
Diane Campbell Offline
Diane Campbell  Offline
This is really stupid. We have a terminal on the lagoon. With parking and not on the main one-way artery through town. Open the channels, make them use it. Safety will be enhanced, traffic will be alleviated and some of us may be able to park near the park and/or actually enjoy the waterfront.

Re: SP Belize Express Water Taxi to Build Boat Terminal? [Re: Diane Campbell] #537812
08/16/19 10:26 PM
08/16/19 10:26 PM
Los Barriles, Mx
R
Roberto El Vagabundo Offline
Roberto El Vagabundo  Offline
R
Originally Posted by Diane Campbell
This is really stupid. We have a terminal on the lagoon. With parking and not on the main one-way artery through town. Open the channels, make them use it. Safety will be enhanced, traffic will be alleviated and some of us may be able to park near the park and/or actually enjoy the waterfront.

It seem like they waiting for dredge longer then it took for hole new water taxi termi to be builted? Why so long?

Roberto

Re: SP Belize Express Water Taxi to Build Boat Terminal? [Re: Marty] #537823
08/17/19 08:02 AM
08/17/19 08:02 AM
G
Gridguy Offline
Gridguy  Offline
G
Diane, if I read your post correctly, you are saying a lot of the vehicles parked on front street are using the water taxi. I never thought about that but it does explain a lot. I have wondered why front street always seemed full the last few years, even in the morning!

Re: SP Belize Express Water Taxi to Build Boat Terminal? [Re: Marty] #537829
08/18/19 05:59 AM
08/18/19 05:59 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Offline OP

Marty  Offline OP
Amen Diane.... Here's an article in the San Pedro Sun on this...

SPBE’s plans for proposed beachfront water taxi terminal continues to face rejection

After acquiring the property formerly known as Ruby’s Hotel in downtown San Pedro in December 2018, the San Pedro Belize Express Water Taxi (SPBE) revealed that they had plans of building a large beachfront water taxi terminal in front of the hotel. The water taxi company is currently operating from the Municipal Dock, and is anticipating its relocation as soon as the terminal is built. However, this idea has not been well received by many islanders, including businesses and even The San Pedro Town Council (SPTC). They believe the size of the project is not suitable for the location, given the fact that it is near a primary school, and will add to the already congested area in downtown while affecting neighbors and businesses. Many also object to the location, considering a water taxi terminal has already been constructed on the lagoon side to the island. Despite these objections, the company’s stakeholders have already worked on designs for the construction of the facility and have shared such designs with some of their neighbors to get their support so they can start building the water taxi terminal.

According to those who have seen the plans, the design calls for a massive terminal over the water, complete with coffee shops, restaurant and a three-story parking facility in front of the beach among other amenities. The SPBE investors were recently on the island in the company of Area Representative and Minister of Tourism and Civil Aviation, Honourable Manuel Heredia Jr., trying to sell the idea of the water taxi terminal. They met with Celi McCorkle, owner of San Pedro’s first hotel, Holiday Hotel. This beach hotel, which opened in 1965 is adjacent to the property that was once Ruby’s Hotel. McCorkle is a pioneer in the hotel industry and an advocate for sustainable development. Following the meeting with the investors, she spoke to The San Pedro Sun weighing in on the proposed terminal. McCorkle stated that she has been against over the water structures since 1978 because they can have detrimental effects on the marine environment surrounding the island. However, she can understand people having small piers where they can dock their boats.

The SPTC continues to object SPBE’s terminal in front of the island, and Mayor Daniel Guerrero maintains that the only place they should relocate is by the Sunset Boardwalk Boat Terminal. In January of this year, the SPTC began dredging the lagoon channel leading to the boat terminal via the services of a private company. However, the project was halted due to financial issues. Guerrero’s administration remains optimistic and hopes to soon find the resources to continue with the project. The San Pedro Chapter of the Belize Tourism Industry Association has also gone on the record against the proposed terminal.

Click here to read the rest of the article in the San Pedro Sun

Re: SP Belize Express Water Taxi to Build Boat Terminal? [Re: Gridguy] #537831
08/18/19 06:12 AM
08/18/19 06:12 AM
San Pedro AC Belize
Diane Campbell Offline
Diane Campbell  Offline
Originally Posted by Gridguy
Diane, if I read your post correctly, you are saying a lot of the vehicles parked on front street are using the water taxi. I never thought about that but it does explain a lot. I have wondered why front street always seemed full the last few years, even in the morning!

Yes. People park there when they go off-island for the day. this is just the WRONG place for these water-taxi services - Coastal Express isn't creating a similar congestion - but the two services to Belize City sure are. If you have one central terminal the police can much more easily monitor the coming and going of individuals. With one terminal, emergency evacuations can be handled with a level of sanity not possible now with two different companies in front. The Sunset Terminal is located away from already heavy traffic, and has good access to a TWO-WAY interior street (back street). If the water-taxis came in at the Sunset Terminal the artisan's market would be a busier and more profitable place for these folks to sell their wares. Tourists will arrive and immediately see the House of Culture and begin to visit it and enjoy the displays there. The water-taxi companies need to get on board with the idea of being positive contributors to th community - making San Pedro more beautiful and less congested. Front Street simply cannot continue to be a transportation terminal - its NUTS.

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
San Pedro Fun Finder
Paradise Guy Event Calendar
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
February
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Anouk), 390 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics70,622
Posts479,095
Members19,595
Most Online2,982
Jan 29th, 2019

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.