Colin Gillett has been appointed as Belize’s new fire chief. His post became effective on July twenty-second, 2019 and he takes over from Ted Smith. The forty-two-year-old holds a Master’s Degree in Natural Resource Management from the University of the West Indies and he recently served as Deputy National Coordinator for the National Emergency Management Organization (NEMO). But he is connected to Minister Edmond Castro and it is believed that senior fire officials such as Benisford Matura and Oren Smith were overlooked and the position given to Gillett who has no background in the related field. Today, however, Patrick Faber praised his past classmate.

Patrick Faber, Minister of Education

“I congratulate my colleague Minister Castro and I congratulate Mr Colin Gillet who I know to be very capable. Colin and I were classmates at Saint John’s College so I have no doubt in his abilities and I congratulate him on this appointment.”

Hipolito Novelo

“Sir the criticism is that he dents have any experience in firefighting and in the department itself.”

Patrick Faber

“I don’t know that any of our former fire chiefs when they get to that position like that have that kind of credentials other than experience in the fire service itself. But we have not been the kind of society that invests in the higher level training of our officers in this respect. In fact we just recently saw a police chief who for the first time is an attorney. So what needs to happen and I am pretty sure that people will agree with this, in the fire service is that you need somebody who can administrate, who can bring things together to see a successful fire fighting entity in this country in its many branches.”

Channel 5