Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, Reef TV, KREM, and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Belize Now, Talk Ah Di Town, and other specials.

The San Pedro Sun

Island resident Anthony Coleman accepted to Shriners Hospital; Ambergris Caye Masonic Lodge fundraises for his assistance
Shriners Hospital for Children in Shreveport, Louisiana, USA has accepted islander Anthony Coleman, and he is set to travel on November 4, 2019 for evaluation and surgery for a pair of prosthetic arms. All his medical expenses will be covered by the Shriners Hospital. However, Ambergris Caye Masonic Lodge (ACML) is seeking to raise $20,000 for his travel and expenses during his initial two-month stay for him and his mother.

Ambergris Today

Major Drug Bust At Illegal Airstrip Off Coastal Road In Belize
Belize Police have charged four men for what is being considered one of the biggest drugs in Belize after a drug plane landed at an illegal airstrip off the Coastal Road on Sunday, September 7, 2019. Police confiscated four bales containing approximately 1,000 pounds of cocaine. Four men were arrested and charged jointly with one count of possession of a controlled drug with intent to supply another person or persons for the purpose of drug trafficking.

BTB Launches Second Phase Of "Did You Know" Campaign
The Belize Tourism Board (BTB) launched the second phase of its Did You Know (DYK) campaign, which is aimed at increasing awareness among hoteliers, persons who own a home and rent rooms or businesses providing accommodation for remuneration purposes of the need to register with the Registrar of Hotels at the BTB.

New Postal Stamps Commemorate Belize-Taiwan Diplomatic Relations
The Belize Postal Service released a new set of postage stamps on Thursday, September 12, 2019. The stamps commemorate the 30 years of diplomatic relations and friendship shared between Belize and the Republic of China (Taiwan). These stamps depict important symbols of the two countries. The 25� stamp depicts the flags of Belize and the Republic of China (Taiwan), the $1.00 stamp depicts the Belize Blue Hole and the Jade Mountain of Taiwan, and the $5.00 stamp depicts the national bird of Belize, the Keel-Billed Toucan and the national bird of the Republic of China (Taiwan), the Taiwan Blue Magpie.

Various Belizean Sources

mzz

Boat collides with reef off San Pedro, no one injured
Information reaching our newsroom indicates that there was an accident at sea earlier this evening. According to sources, a boat belonging to a local tour operator with guests aboard collided into the reef near Ambergris Caye and capsized. We were reliably informed that no one was injured. Some of the organizations mentioned assisting the passengers and captain were Rickilee Response and Rescue (Triple R), Xsite Belize and personnel from the Hol Chan Marine Reserve. The Belize Coast Guard has secured the boat awaiting a visit from the Department of the Environment (DOE) to evaluate damages to the reef.

Corozal House of Culture All Aboard Historical event
The Corozal House of Culture will be celebrating an All Aboard Historical event that will take place on Tuesday September 17, 2019. Pictures are from last year.

Lions Sellathon on Saturday in San Pedro
You're sure to find a deal at the Lions Sellathon tomorrow!!!

Central America & Mexico Independence Eve Celebration in San Pedro
We invite everyone to the Central America & Mexico Independence Eve on Saturday, September 14, 2019 at the Hon. Louis Sylvestre Sports Complex. There will be a parade starting at 5:00 p.m. from the Central Park and ending at the Hon. Louis Sylvestre. Come enjoy the food from the various Central American countries and Mexico. There will be lots of performances! Dance the night away with the Caribbean Kings band!

Annual Report 2018: Ya'axch� Conservation Trust
2018 was an incredible year for us; we celebrated 20 years of conservation and community empowerment in the Maya Golden Landscape, southern Belize! Our astonishing accomplishments have been possible with the support of supporters, friends, partners, donors, board members and staff - thank you! Read highlights of our work in the 2018 Annual Report.

Free Basketball Skills Training Camp
Inviting all Corozal Basketball lovers to sign up for this FREE upcoming camp featuring NBA fitness trainer Trey Slate. See details on the ad below.

Jayden Daniel Hill wins Corozal Municipal Bazaar Logo Competition
Congratulations young man! Mayor Rigo Vellos and the Corozal Town Council congratulates Mr. Jayden Daniel Hill for winning the Municipal Bazaar Logo Competition. The 4th Form Student from the Corozal Community College, received his prize of $100.00. Let us continue supporting our local entrepreneurs and small business owners.

BEL Appoints Mr. Jason Rivers to Head its Finance, Procurement and Inventory Management Division
Belize Electricty Limited (BEL) is proud to announce that its Board of Directors has appointed Mr. Jason Rivers to the new post of General Manager, Finance, Procurement & Inventory Management within the Company's Leadership Team with effect from September 1, 2019. In this capacity. he now heads the newly-created Division of Finance, Procurement & Inventory Management covering the functions of Finance. Accounting, Treasury Management. External Audit. Procurement and Inventory Management.

Frenemy Coming to Cayo
Frenemy, the comedy from Jankunu Productionz which has been performed all over Belize, is heading to Cayo on the 28th. They'll be performing the comedy at the Sacred Heart auditorium. "Frenemy tour continues CAYO & PLACENCIA we're coming! If yuh not mi friend, your my enemy... Frenemy"

Mahogany and Cedar trees planted along the Mopan River
Yesterday villagers from El Cruzadero in Peten planted 250 mahogany and cedar trees along the Mopan River as part of the youth group "Todos Por Un Mundo Verde" and the Binational Watershed Alliance effort aimed at restoring riversides.

Ya'axch�, through its sustainable financing initiative EcoTourism Belize, is seeking a dedicated and professional Housekeeper to join its team!
Ya'axch�, through its sustainable financing initiative EcoTourism Belize, is seeking a dedicated and professional Housekeeper to join its team! The Housekeeper will perform a variety of housekeeping duties at our BunkHouse and Field Station facilities at Golden Stream Corridor Preserve. This is a part time position.

Channel 7

Black Friday Fall Leaves Two Roofers Dead
A Black Friday tragedy has left two construction workers dead after falling to their deaths this morning. It happened just after 11:00 at the country's largest indoor sporting facility, the Civic Center. 7News was there shortly after and Cherisse Halsall spoke to an eyewitness to the horrifying event. Here's her story:... Cherisse Halsall reporting This is the towering scaffold inside the City Center from which 6 men fell today. They were installing sound insulation padding, when the plywood platform across the scaffold gave way, sending the men crashing to the Civic bleachers - a 30 foot, or three story freefall. One of their co-workers was the first responder to a gruesome scene. Jesus Contreras, Construction Worker "We were inside working in the Civic Center above the court above the seats. 6 individuals were putting cloth and were putting pressure on the Zinc, one of the 2x6 broke in half and when it broke in half all of them caved in causing two of the individuals to fall headway first, with the rest falling on the seats, one of them falling lying down and it was just a horrible experience." "One old man known as Roque, he fell headway first opening his head, his brains came out, and one of them. Mr Earl Stuart fell shoulder first and hit on the railing. I don't know if he broke his neck or his shoulder. One of them named Willy dropped flat way back hitting his head back here was busted up and one named Lucas dropped on a seat sitting down I think he broke his foot. One named Charly ,a big one ,he fell on a seat too and he bounced off and lay down on the ground. The one that they call Max he dropped on his belly across one of the chairs." "One of them the one I think Mr. Earl i don't know if he will make it because he broke his neck and the old man who busted his head and his brains came out I don't know if he'll make it either." It's a horrible accident - but how did it happen? Were safety measures not observed? Well, we know the men were not wearing harnesses and the workers had doubts about the stability of the scaffold: Jesus Contreras, Construction Worker "Myself and another guy one of my friends who is back there called Molina. We had just come off of the board because we wanted to prove my uncle wrong that it wouldn't break because my uncle was telling us that it would break. And then I told my uncle it won't break watch and we went up and came back down and as I came down as I touched the ladder beside the stick that broke all I heard was clack. It broke." Reporter "Why do you think your uncle believed that it was going to break?" Jesus Contreras, Construction Worker "He was pointing to the 2x6 that it had a big belly and when the 15 of us were on top of it. It had the same belly but it didn't break. So I said it wasn't gonna break and then the rest who already did their part went to the shop. A little while after my uncle said it would break and I went to the top to prove him wrong, and..." And now four men are in the hospital while two are dead, Roque Jimenez and Orlington Stuart. Stuart's family says he will be missed by the one son and two daughters he leaves behind. Voice of: Alec Jones, Brother of Orlington "Earl" Stuart "Shocked and still soaking it in, but we have to figure it out. It's sad and we didn't expected it. The whole family is shaken. Just trying to adjust. Its just rough. He was a cool guy, a working family guy. He is a car dealer and he also worked with a roofing company. I guess thats what he was doing at the civic. He was around every day. He was here and he lived with his son. He was well loved." And, to hear this worker tell it, it was caused by laziness: Jesus Contreras, Construction Worker "The problem is today that the one who was building the scaffold with us got a little lazy and in the end only two of us was building it so we didn't have much help to..." Reporter: "So you guys didn't double check it?" Jesus Contreras, Construction Worker "We didn't double check this time." The contractor didn't want to comment on that - and says that he is still trying to ascertain how this accident happened to such experienced and knowledgeable workers. Delphin Garnett, Delnox Belize "The four guys that are still admitted, they ae doing very well. They area stable. According to the doctors nobody's life is in danger at this time. Two of them might even come out today. I have been with the family from the accident. I just had a formal meeting with one family and I am on my way to see the other family." Reporter: "The young man Contreras told us this morning that he feels that they didn't double the scaffolding." Delphin Garnett, Delnox Belize "I am not able to comment on that. What I can tell you is that the men we have working there, they are very experienced in what they were doing, especially scaffolding. The scaffolding are still there standing and what happened is a piece of lumber that should have been able to take the load gave way and we are still trying to understand why. They were actually working at the lowest point we have worked in the building, because its the side and that one we have to mount the scaffolding between the seats in the bleachers. Orlington, he is a personal friend for many years. He has worked with me and he has a lot of experience and he was a pusher, very meticulous and careful in what he was doing and he was just an extremely good worker. Mr. Roque as we called him, he made everybody happy. That's his personality. Its a joy to work alongside him and work along with him and he was also experienced in construction, so he knew about all sorts of things, he is a very valuable worker we lost." APEX and Belize Infrastructure Limited both issued statements on the tragic accident expressing their prayers and condolences to the families. Tonight the four men that survived are being treated for injuries at the KHMH. Two of them may be released before morning.

16 Year Old Charged For Killing 13 Year Old Friend
Earlier this week we told you about Christopher Chi, the 13 year old from Yo Creek village whose body was found bludgeoned outside Orange Walk town. Well, police have charged his 16 year old friend for doing it. The minor was arraigned in Orange Walk Magistrate's Court his afternoon - and remanded to prison. Hiss attorney Marcel Cardona said his client maintains his innocence: Marcel Cardona, Attorney for Accused Minor "I spoke with my client very briefly and my client maintains the position that he is not responsible for the murder or the death, or for having cause the death of Mr. Christopher Chi, no. Accordingly I will have to take further instructions in relation to that as time goes by no, but the police could only allot me a certain amount of time and during that time that was in a nutshell what the client informed me of, that he is not guilty of the offense which he has been charged with. He has been remanded up to November 5th of this year." According to our reports, this teenager was the one who picked up Chi at his home on September 6th - which is the last time his. Family saw him alive. The teenager was found dead on September 10th. He died from blunt force head trauma; his family says he was stoned to death.

14 Year Old Boy Missing in San Pedro
And while that 13 year old is dead, a San Pedro family has concerns for a missing 14 year old boy. Roberto Nah's family says he was last seen on Wednesday at midday. They made a missing persons report for him yesterday. Island police had a lead, which never worked out and now they say they have no new information.

Shopkeeper's Alleged Killer Charged
On Wednesday we told you about the murder of the 61 year old Shopkeeper int Bella Vista, Toledo - who villagers affectionately called "Grampa". Jiang Zhang Xu was shot by a robber on the night of 10th September. The gunman demanded money, and when Xu resisted, the robber shot him. Well, police have charged the man who they arrested shortly after the murder. He is 37 year old Jeremiah Pop, also from Bella Vista village. He will be arraigned for murder and remanded. Pop may have used a weapon that disappeared from his last place of employment at a shrimp farm.

Danny Mason Wants Embassy Witness
Last night's headline was about accused murder William "Danny" Mason. He gave a captivating statement from the dock. He professed his innocence, saying that he was clueless about how Pastor Lucas' decapitated head ended up in the back of his pickup truck. Mason also stressed that Pastor Lucas - with whom he was allegedly very generous - was his close friend and that he was overcome with grief when he learned that he had been killed. So, there is only one outstanding matter before the defense completely closes its case. Mason wants to call a US Embassy employee to testify on his behalf, but the issue is that this man is not in Belize. So, there is a process that the court has to go through to get access to this potential witness, and it may cause even more delays to the end of this trial.

Saldivar Shows Military Muscle, If Not Quite Might
Today the Ministry of National Security held its third annual security forces parade in Belmopan. Perhaps fashioned off those goose-stepping military parades we've see in North Korea - today's event in Belmopan wasn't quite as regimented or as imperious, but it brought a little life to the capital on a Friday evening. And it provided a high profile showcase for the man who would want to be leader, John Saldivar. He's been flexing his political muscle recently and said today was a chance for the forces to showcase themselves:

Accused Murder and Gangster Troy Hyde Doubles Up On Bail
He's on bail for murder and so it wasn't surprising when 32 year old Troy Hyde was remanded after he was charged for being a gang member. But, tonight, after a week in prison, the alleged killer is back out - after his attorney, Norman Rodriguez convinced the Supreme Court to grant him five thousand dollars bail. Justice Colin Williams agreed to the bail, against the strong objections of the DPP's office. Norman Rodriguez said bail should have been granted...

Making Migration Sense
This morning the government of Belize held an inter-ministerial consultation on Migration Governance Indicators. This assessment was conducted at GOB's request to generate an inclusive national conversation on Belize's migration policies. We stopped by the Biltmore to get a better understanding of how different agencies are inputting on a national policy for migration. Edmund Zuniga, C.E.O. - Ministry of Immigration with responsibility for Refugees: "Today we're having a presentation on the findings of the migration governance indicators. Its a study which started in January of this year looking at some data and information which will eventually feed into the development of our comprehensive migration and development policy for Belize."

Monitoring Water Quality At The Source
Today the Department of the Environment held a validation workshop for a Comprehensive National Water Quality monitoring program and protocol. The Canadian Consulting firm CBCL traveled around Belize to identify gaps in water monitoring protocols. Today they shared those findings with stakeholders and asked for their input and suggestions. Representatives from the DOE told us more.

Oscar B At ACC
Today Anglican Cathedral College students got a rare treat from the one and only Oscar B. The soca artist performed at the school this afternoon. But aside from the jump up, he also shared a message with the kids. Here is more from the free campus concert.

CITCO Opens New Offices, Present and Former Mayors Serenade Each Other
The Belize City council officially declared open its newly renovated offices at the commercial center this evening. The ceremony finished about 45 minutes ago - and when we went we heard the former mayor and the current mayor volleying bouquets at each other:

All Hail The Patriots
Last night, the tribute to Belizean Patriots was held at the Bliss Center. 22 persons were honoured, 19 with meritorious service awards and three with orders of distinction.

Channel 5

2 Dead, 6 Injured as Scaffold Collapses Inside Civic Center
A tragic accident occurred before noon today inside the Belize Civic Center; two persons succumbed and others were injured and in a critical condition at the K.H.M.H. While the number [...]

BIL confirms death of two workmen at Civic Center
This afternoon, the Belize Infrastructure Limited issued a release on the mishap at the Civic Center. BIL confirms that two persons died and four others were injured in the accident [...]

Two adults and a sixteen-year-old are charged for Christopher Chi's murder
A minor has been arraigned for the murder of Christopher Chi, his thirteen-year-old friend from the village of Yo Creek in the Orange Walk District. The minor was arraigned this [...]

A Bella Vista Man is charged with the murder of a store owner in the village
Police have cracked the murder of storeowner, Jiang Zhang Xu. The execution occurred on September tenth after seven o'clock on Sunday night. Xu was sitting behind the counter of his [...]

Two Hondurans Taken Into Custody, Any Link to Recent Drug Plane?
There are developments tonight in respect of a drug plane that landed off the Coastal Road at an illegal airstrip on Sunday night. On Thursday afternoon, the alert owner of [...]

Day 7 in Search for Adamir Choc
The family of missing nineteen-year-old Adamir Choc remains hopeful.� Today, they extended their search along the Belize River, seven days after the teenager was last seen alive leaving a nightclub. [...]

A San Pedro student also goes missing
Even as the family of Adamir Choc continues to desperately look for her in the Belmopan area, another family is reporting a missing member. In San Pedro, a fourteen-year-old student, [...]

Is PSU's Hilltop Headquarters Being Sold Off Once Again?
Is the Belmopan headquarters of the Public Service Union up for sale once again? A social media post on September eleventh by Real Estate Belize lists the one acre Hilltop [...]

Will Danny Mason's Witness Take the Stand in Murder Trial?
The trial of accused murderer William "Danny" Mason and four others charged jointly for beheading Pastor Llewellyn Lucas in July 2016, has been adjourned until September eighteenth, while the Supreme [...]

A 17 year old is accused of unlawful sex with a 13 year old
A teenager, who turns eighteen years this Saturday, was granted Supreme Court bail today for unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor. The Galen University student is accused of illegal sex [...]

Kareem Francis scrambles to post bail
Tonight twenty-nine-year old Kareem Francis, who has beaten more than one murder charge in the past, remains in police custody until he can pay an old fine then post bail [...]

Troy Hyde is granted bail but unable to meet conditions
After a week on remand at the Belize Central Prison, accused of being a member of a gang, thirty-two-year old murder suspect, Troy Dion Hyde, a resident of Belize City, [...]

YWCA and Haven House receive considerable donation from Digi
Two organizations got a boost of ten thousand dollars each to advance the range of programmes they offer to the public. The Young Women's Christian Association will be using the [...]

Jason Rivers moves up at B.E.L.
Belize Electricity Limited today announced the promotion of Jason Rivers as General Manager of Finance, Procurement and Inventory Management with effect from September first, 2019. Rivers rose up the ranks [...]

Ivan Tesecum to officially take over as CEO at BTL
Rochus Schrieber's tenure is coming to an end at B.T.L. He abruptly resigned the high paying job in July opening the way for the appointment of Ivan Tesecum, who� was [...]

BTL’s Incoming CEO lauds fiber rollout is most ambitious project
One of the most ambitious projects that B.T.L. has undertaken to date is the roll-out of fiber at residences throughout the country. The project started in 2017 and did not [...]

Sound Fest 2019 at the Big Birds Isle
The eighteenth annual Sound Fest, a celebration of Belizean musicians organized by the Association for Belizean Artists First, kicks off tonight at the Birds Isle and promises a heavy line-up [...]

Capitalism in September Celebrations is Boxing Out Belizean Artists
According to Wright, support from the local business community and corporate partners has been minimal.� In fact, he points to something that is much more concerning.� As the spirit of [...]

City Hall Moves to its New Home
City Hall is moving to its new headquarters. The City Council will now be operating at the former commercial centre in the downtown area of the City. Renovations took time [...]

Tribute to twenty-two Belizean patriots
The tribute to Belizean Patriots was held at the Bliss auditorium on Thursday night. The ceremony is incorporated in the Independence celebrations to recognize Belizeans who have made a positive [...]

Amandala

Four foreigners remanded for drug plane landing
On Sunday night, September 8, Belize's national security apparatus swung into high gear as police and soldiers acted upon intelligence that a drug plane had left Venezuela and that it might be landing somewhere in the country. The resulting police operations resulted in the nabbing of 6 persons, all foreign nationals, and the plane, with its cargo of 41 bales of cocaine that had landed on the Belize Coastal Road, at about Mile 7 in the southern part of the Belize District. This afternoon, four out of those six foreign nationals were taken to the Belize City Magistrate's Court to be arraigned on criminal charges.

Adamira Choc, 19, missing, after getting into vehicle outside nightclub
On Friday night, Adamira Choc, 19, of Maya Mopan, and two female friends of hers went out for a night of party and socializing in Belmopan, went to several night clubs and then to a bar in Las Flores, Belmopan, where her friends became involved in an altercation with a woman, and they, her friends, left hastily without notifying her. When Adamira realized at closing time that she was alone, she frantically began to look for her friends, who were no longer at the club. After standing outside the club for some time, she decided to get into a vehicle, presumably after being offered a ride home. Adamira has not been seen since she got into the vehicle. She has been missing now for 6 days, and a massive search is underway to find her.

Belizeans celebrate 221st anniversary of the Battle of St. George's Caye
The story of the emerging country of Belize has its origin in the 1798 Battle of St. George's Caye, between the Spaniards and the British settlers and their slaves. On Tuesday, Belizeans celebrated the 221st anniversary of the Battle of St. George's Caye with the traditional ceremony at the Memorial Park under this year's theme: "From Mayan grandeur to modern glory, together let's shape the Belizean story." One of the highlights of the morning's ceremony was the crowning of the incoming Queen of the Bay, Kimberly Santos, who was crowned by the outgoing Queen of the Bay, Jenny Lee Cruz. Singer Radiance Thompson serenaded the queens with the popular song, "Queen of the Bay".

Reynaldo Verde, Deputy Director of Belize Tax Services, nabbed in US on extortion charge: FBI
The newly amalgamated Income Tax and General Sales Tax (GST) Department, which is now known as Belize Tax Services, has become the focus of negative public scrutiny after the country received a national and international black-eye when its Deputy Director, Reynaldo Verde, who traveled to Brussels on official business, was nabbed by Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) agents and charged with extortion and attempted extortion as he was transiting the US on his return trip home. An FBI release issued today, Monday, September 9, 2019, said, "The FBI announces the arrest of Reynaldo Verde, 46, of the country of Belize, by complaint for his alleged interference with commerce by means of extortion and attempted extortion."

William Mason, primary accused in beheading murder, makes tearful dock statement
As the murder trial of William Danny Mason and his four co-accused, Terence Fernandez, Ashton Vanegas, Keiron Fernandez and Ernest Castillo entered its defense phase, today the court heard from Mason, who is believed to have been the mastermind behind the 2016 beheading murder of Dangriga Pastor Llewellyn Lucas. When Supreme Court Justice Antoinette Moore explained the three defense options available to him - one, you could go on the witness stand and give sworn evidence and be subjected to cross examination; you can make a dock statement and you will not have to answer any questions, though a dock statement carries less weight than if you were to give evidence and be cross examined; or thirdly, you can stay where you are and not say anything.

Mayor Bernard Wagner's September 10 address
There is a story of origin about this day, and to me that story is unlike any other. What we know is that on September 10, 1798, the Spaniards, after several failed efforts, made one final attempt at claiming our Belize. On that day a battle ensued, and our forefathers, whom we so admirably call the "Baymen", thwarted these efforts and deterred the Spaniards permanently. As a result, we celebrate today as one of the key historical events leading up to an independent Belize. HIP HIP HOORAY! I refer to this tale as "unlike any other" because the Baymen were mainly enslaved blacks fighting alongside their white masters.

Corozal F.A. launches Opening Season Youth Tournaments 2019-2020
On, Sunday, September 8, the Corozal Football Association (CFA) launched its CFA Opening Season Youth Tournament 2019-2020. It all took place at the Carolina Football Field in Carolina Village, Corozal District. This year, we started our new journey with three youth tournaments i.e. U10 (5 teams), U13 (7 teams) and U20 (7 teams). Our office is very grateful to the community at large for making this tournament possible and a total success. Seeing the big smile in each of the participants gave us that assurance that we made their day and surely a success. All of this was possible, thanks to our Chairman, Mr. Mario Casanova; Mr. Frank Sutherland; Mr. Louis Arcurio; and me, Mr. Vasquez.

Sailing Association holds 9th National Championship Regatta
The Belize Sailing Association (BzSA) held its ninth National Championship Regatta in Consejo Shores on September 7 and 8 for the Optimist and Laser Classes. This brings our sailing season to a close. The winner of the Optimist Championship Regatta is recognized with his/her name being placed on the Dennis Bradley perpetual trophy; and the top Optimist and Laser sailors who participated in all five (5) of BzSA's Ranking Regattas throughout the year are awarded. The five regattas this year were held in Buttonwood Bay, Baron Bliss (Belize City), Corozal, Caye Caulker and our Nationals (Consejo).

Dangriga sports stats - Carl Ramos Stadium, PLB showdown this Sunday, 7 pts vs 7 pts, Wagiya vs San Pedro Pirates
As anticipated by the fans, the Dangriga Basketball Association (DBA) Finals Matchup will be the two undefeated teams in the league, Hopkins Assassins versus Harlem Shockers. If you were at the Russell Chiste Garcia Auditorium on Saturday night, you would've gotten to see two intense yet competitive semifinal games. Both games finished with a 3-point deficit, where Hopkins Assassins and Harlem Shockers were victorious in their respective games. Who will be DBA U-23 Basketball Champions?

FFB Youth Inter-District Tournaments update; Male U-15 and U-17 Finals set for September 28
The Football Federation of Belize (FFB) Female U-15 and U-17 tournaments have entered their playoff stage, while the Male U-15 and U-17 tournaments have reached their Finals, which are scheduled to be held at the FFB Stadium on September 28. At the People's Stadium, Orange Walk clipped Cayo, 1-0, on a goal by Josefin Reyes (52'). Here at the MCC Grounds, visiting Stann Creek bombed Belize, 9-0, with goals from Shendra Casimiro (14'), Shamika Lambey (22' & 40'), Cenia Apolonio (29'), Jessie McLaughlin (37') and Khalydia Velasquez (49' & 64'), and also benefited from own goals by Belize's Alexia Estell (38' OG) and Amberlin Dawson (48' OG).

Editorial: PM should apologize for corruption and other wrongs
It is hard to believe that a person who threw his hat into the political ring around forty years ago, and has kept it there up to this day, has no concern for what his country will say about him after he heads off into the sunset. It has to be that the politician who expressed no concern for his legacy, was tongue-in-cheek, frustrated, or misguided. If Prime Minister Dean Oliver Barrow entered politics with no concern for the quality of service he would give to the Belizean people, then he didn't tell the Belizean people the truth. We believed that it was our interests which he and his party were intent on protecting, when he railed against the then ruling People's United Party (PUP) and all their deeds which he said would ruin the country.

From The Publisher
The hellacious pressure from Washington that the South American republic of Venezuela has been experiencing is not only because the United States of America, the largest economy and most powerful military in the world, wants to control the Venezuelan petroleum reserves, possibly the planet's most abundant, but because of a gut fear white Americans have, especially in the Southern, Confederate, formerly slave-holding states, a gut fear which goes way back to the Haitian Revolution of 1791. Had oil prices remained over $100 a barrel instead of dropping to less than half that, and had Comandante Hugo Chavez remained alive, countries like Belize in this Central American and Caribbean region of the world would have been in a much better position economically, because the Americans would have had to make at least a token effort to match the aid Chavez was dishing out so lavishly to the region, a region which is not considered white by the Confederate states.

The incompleteness theorem
Dear Editor, The incompleteness theorem of Kurt Godel, a mathematician, proved, using logic, a branch of maths, that (1) All systems with rules are either incomplete or contain contradictions, and (2) a system cannot correctly assess itself. I use these 2 mathematical axioms to discuss the state of representative democracy globally. Firstly, the state of the political dilemma of the United States (US), the world's most powerful democracy, is a validation of those principles. Most of the world is taken aback by US President Donald Trump's "America first and don't worry about no one else" political philosophy.

Research professor warns about disrupting sediments in the New River without study first
Dear Editor, We are sharing information received from Dr. Guy Lanza, Research Professor, Department of Environmental and Forest Biology (ESF), State University of New York, Syracuse, NY whom we have consulted over the years concerning the Chalillo Dam and the Macal River. Yesterday, we sent him a copy of the government press release, "Department of the Environment Provides Update on the New River Situation". He contacted us today saying that the disruption of the sediments in the New River could release other toxic elements trapped in the sediments. He warned that, "They really should sample and analyze the sediments before they aerate to get some sense of the danger to the health of the people and the ecosystem."

Questioning JC and the anti-Queens
If Brother JC Arzu were to stop calling for the Queen to hand up her throne in Belize, I would be his number one disciple. The brother really has a lot of major league talent. I don't know if he was at the top of his class when he was in school, but if he wasn't, I bet he would have been if he had wanted to. The wisdom of JC is on par with anyone in the world, except for his fault. You know none of us is without sin, and none of us is without a weak sphere, a fault line. Before I go on, let me get this clear that I am not pushing up myself, with my finding fault with a man whom I consider brilliant. For one, I'll say you don't have to be very smart to know someone is slipping up when you see it. All of us have big enough brains inside our heads and yes, some are superiorly wired, but all of us inherited some of the glory.

Corruption of the system or the people?
Before social media I don't think news ever travelled so fast, with such quick opportunity to give feedback. Social media is a platform also used to exploit people, bully others, advocate for issues and just connect with friends far and near. It has its good and bad aspects, but one sure benefit is the lightning speed with which news travels. Almost at the drop of a hat one can be aware of the latest news and likewise give a reaction. Such was the case this week when on the eve of all our celebrations leading up to the commemoration of the 221st anniversary of the Battle of Saint George's Caye Day, Belizeans learnt about the arrest of the Deputy Director General of the Belize Tax Service -formerly the General Sales Tax (GST) Department.

Foreigners and government of Juan Orlando Hern�ndez want to dispossess lands of Gar�funas
Behind the tourism projects where the marriage of foreign capital and the country's elites merge, the rights of the Garifuna people are in constant danger, which are intended to be guaranteed by using the armed bodies of the State of Honduras to contain their defense. In Gar�funa territory they have built a millionaire hotel complex and luxury golf courses, one of them the "Indura Hotel" that belongs to the Hilton "Curio Collection"; built on threats, harassment and human rights abuses of 157,000 Garifuna families, depriving them of their ancestral and agricultural lands, located in Barra Vieja, Cayo Santa Marta, located in Tornab�, department of Atl�ntida.

Soca Moca Mas Band wins Carnival Road March
The highly anticipated 2019 Carnival Road March was held in Belize City on Saturday afternoon, September 7, and it lived up to its hype. Thousands of people lined its designated route, from Caesar Ridge Road to the Marion Jones Sports Complex on Princess Margaret Drive, and 10 bands participated in one of the biggest events in the September celebrations, and in the country. The bands did not fail to excite the crowd. The revelers were elegant in their costumes and danced with confidence. There were judging stations along the route of the parade, and the bands were judged based on established criteria, some of which included dance moves, the attractiveness of the costumes, and the sturdiness of the costumes.

Literacy Day celebrated in Belize
World Literacy Day is held annually in the first week of September to highlight the changes and improvements made worldwide in literacy development and on the issues surrounding adult literacy and child literacy. Literacy Day was celebrated in Belize on Friday, September 6, this year and St. Martin De Porres RC School, located on Partridge Street, held many activities to celebrate the day.

Christopher Chi, 13, missing; body found decomposing
Last Friday, a Jasmine Alert was issued to notify the public of the disappearance of Christopher Chi, 13, of Yo Creek. According to reports, at about 5:30 Friday evening, Chi's elder brother saw him get on a motorcycle with a man who was known to him and his family, and they drove away. When the boy failed to come home, the family began to get frantic and went to the police, and a search to find him began. The Jasmine Alert was also issued, declaring that Chi was in danger.

Suicide Prevention Flag raised at Wesley College
World Suicide Prevention Day will be observed in Belize on Tuesday, September 10. It is a day of hope, to remind the public that no one should die by suicide, that those who desire to take their lives can be helped. The theme for this year's suicide prevention day activities is "Working Together to Prevent Suicide." Today, Monday, September 9, the Suicide Prevention Day Flag was raised during a ceremony at Wesley College on Yarborough Road in Belize City, and flags will also be raised at high school compounds throughout the country, at small ceremonies.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

LOVE FM

Who is responsible for Civic Center tragedy?
Often times it takes tragedy such as the one at the Civic Centre for officials to pay attention at the laws broken and the need for policies. Perhaps the biggest question to emerge from this tragedy is whether or not the men had their hard hats and gears considering the safety hazards they faced at �

2 men dead and 4 injured in Civic Center accident
Two men are dead and four more injured after they fell off a scaffold inside the Belize Civic Centre. Roque Martinez Jimenez and Elrington Stuart lost their lives just after eleven o'clock this morning when six men stood atop a 50-foot scaffold attending to the air conditioning units inside the civic. Love News was on �

Belize International Film Festival kicked off with Sprinter
Last night, the movie Sprinter kicked off the opening of the fourteen session of the Belize International Film Festival. It is an inspirational movie depicting a young Jamaican whose exceptional track and field ability was able to change his life; but not before multiple setbacks and challenges. Love news spoke with Suzette Zayden, the Director �

The search for Choc continues
19-year-old Adamir Choc remains missing as the search by family and friends continues. Choc was at E & L Bar in Belmopan on Saturday, September 7. She was last seen getting into an SUV outside the establishment. Since leaving her house for the club on that night, she has not returned home. Cayo Correspondent, Fem �

IOM assisting Belize with National Migration and Development Policy
In June, the International Organization for Migration, IOM, conducted a study on migration in Belize. Today, the preliminary findings of that study were presented to key stakeholders. Love News spoke with Marcelo Pisani, the Regional Director for Central America, who said that a final report will be made based on the findings. Marcelo Pisani, IOM �

National Strategic Plan aims to increase survival rate and control cancer
With cancer being one of the leading causes of death in Belize, a national consultation is being held to develop a national strategic plan to address the problem. Love News spoke with Dr. Marvin Manzanero, the Director of Health Services at the Ministry of Health, who said that the strategic plan also takes into consideration �

BTB launches "Did you know" campaign
The Belize Tourism Board has embarked on the second phase of a campaign dubbed "Did you know". The campaign seeks to acquaint landlords, managers of resorts, hotels, and guest houses with the requirements that must be met before advertising one's property in any marketing platform such as Airbnb. Love News spoke with Jacqui Santos-Locke, the �

Showcasing Belizean Culture
A Belizean woman is representing Belize in a cultural forum hosted by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). Florencia Castillo was invited by UNESCO to showcase various Belizean cuisine. Castillo is currently in Italy and we were able to speak to her on her experience and journey. Florencia Castillo, Belize Representative for �

Minor charged for the murder of Christopher Chi
Tonight, the Chi family in Yo Creek Village, Orange Walk, may finally have some semblance of closure. Police have charged a minor for the murder of 14-year-old Christopher Chi. The 16-year-old charged is also from Yo Creek Village. Police would not release any other details on the arrest since the accused is a minor. Chi �

Military Parade held in Belmopan
As part of the September Celebrations, the third annual Military Parade was held in Belmopan. It is a sight to take in as the defence forces come together for a display of strength and unity. Cayo Correspondent, Fem Cruz, was at the parade and brought the highlights.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Belize City Council signs letter of intent with UTech, Jamaica
Belize City Councilor, Micah Goodin, signed a joint letter of intent between the Belize City Council [�]

Boy who becomes adult on Saturday charged for 'unlawful sex' with minor
The attorney of a boy, 17, who reportedly becomes an adult on Saturday (he turns [�]

Murder suspect out on bail for alleged gang membership
Charged last week with alleged gang membership, 32-year-old murder suspect, Troy Dion Hyde, is out [�]

Defendants swear innocence in murder of Llewellyn Lucas
This week, it was the defense's turn in the murder trial of William "Danny" Mason [�]

"Bite Yuh Finga" a recipe for national dialogue
Anthropologist Dr. Lyra Spang is challenging the definition of "Belizean food" with her new book [�]

NICH launches media campaign for the 14th Belize International Film Festival
The National Institute of Culture and History (NICH) through the Institute of Creative Arts (ICA) [�]

Belize Infrastructure Limited extends condolences to the families of the men that died at the Civic Center today
Belize Infrastructure Limited (BIL) extended its condolences to the families of the men who lost [�]

Expo Belize Market Place 2019 scheduled for this weekend
The Belize Chamber of Commerce and Industry (BCCI) announces their 2019 Expo Belize Marketplace which [�]

San Pedro student reported missing
A 14-year-old student of San Pedro Town, Ambergris Caye has been reported missing. Roberto Nah [�]

Tropical depression forms near The Bahamas
The National Hurricane Center (NHC) has upgraded the potential tropical cyclone nine to tropical depression [�]

6 men injured in accident at Belize City Civic Center
6 men were injured this morning when a scaffold reportedly fell inside the Belize City [�]

Taxi operators at war in King's Park
Nigerian national taxi operator Henry Asoluka, 40, says he suffered a Tenth Day nightmare at [�]

No charges yet in murder of Berris Budna
Twenty-six-year old Santa Elena resident Berris Budna lost his life on Saturday, September 7, 2019 [�]

Crime Stoppers Belize: Race against time in search for Mia Choc
The search continues for missing Belmopan teen, Adamir 'Mia' Choc. Crime Stoppers Belize issued a [�]

Teenager charged for burning house
: A teenager from Belize City explicitly threatened to burn down a woman's residence last week, [�]

Belize's scarlet macaws are in danger
The scarlet macaw, one of Belize's most iconic bird species, is in real danger of becoming extinct...

Blogs

Maya Heroes Day honors Belize's ancestors
Drawing on a fierce pride and wanting to honor those who came before us, the Northern Maya Association of Belize celebrated Maya Heroes Day 2019. The third annual celebration was held on Saturday, August 31, 2019 in Orange Walk Town, and saw a wonderful mix of symbolic rituals and activities that shine a light on the rich history of our Maya people. A ceremonial Maya Cardinal Points Ritual added to the air of reverence for our forefathers, led by Ms. Felicita Cantun. A prayer for each cardinal point, highlighted by the drumbeat in the background, blessed the entire area for the day.

Caye Caulker: The closest thing to paradise I've ever seen
Pulling up to Caye Caulker in Belize, there was one resounding first impression running through my mind: This. Is. Paradise. Whenever I arrive in a new place I like to make a conscious effort to track my first impressions. I usually try and compare the place to others I've been so I can relate it to something in my mind. I was prepared for Caye Caulker to be a bit like Gili T just off of Bali, because I knew it was a small island with beautiful beaches and no cars. This place really is a freaking dream. The buildings were MADE for Instagram - cute pastel colours, stilted or propped up on blocks, cute Instagrammable signs. They knew exactly what they were doing with the aesthetics in this place! The streets are so quaint, lined with palm trees and flags. People whip around on golf carts or bikes or foot, because it takes about 3 mins to get from east to west of the island and the main strip, Front Street, takes about 10 mins.

From A - Z at the New Belize Medical Associates
A new style of medical care has come to Ambergris Caye. We now have the option to get state of the art diagnostic testing and treatment. Belize Medical Associates has been providing services since June 17th and was recently inaugurated September 7th. There is also a salon on the premises so you can leave looking great in addition to getting your health in order. The new facility offers: consultations, lab tests, x-rays, ultrasounds, MRIs, and will be expanding its services in a timely manner. There is also a well-stocked pharmacy onsite. If they do not have what you need, they can order it from their Belize City location. The full-time doctor in charge is well-known and loved Dr. Renae Reasa (Sersland). BMA will also have weekly rotating featured specialists. This will save patients time and money as the doctors are doing the flying.

International Sourcesizz

Storm-weary regions on alert again as Tropical Storm Humberto gains strength
Residents and officials along the southeastern coast of the United States are once again on alert for a brewing tropical system in the Atlantic, just over a week after Hurricane Dorian lashed the region. AccuWeather meteorologists are closely monitoring a mass of clouds, downpours and gusty thunderstorms moving northwestward over the Bahamas that evolved into Tropical Storm Humberto late Friday evening. As of 11 p.m. EDT Friday, Tropical Storm Humberto was located about 130 miles east-southeast of the Dorian-battered Great Abaco Island and had maximum sustained winds of 40 mph. The National Hurricane Center said a hurricane hunter aircraft was investigating the disturbance and has found that the center is forming farther to the east than pondered earlier in the day.

Transparent BPO to Open Contact Center in Belmopan, Belize Early 2020
Transparent BPO, a nearshore contact center and business process outsourcer, today announced plans to open a contact center, it's fourth, in Belmopan, Belize in early 2020. The expansion marks the first time the company will have operations outside Belize City. Belmopan, the nation's capital, is located in Cayo, a district in the western part of the country that borders Guatemala. Cayo is the second most populous of the country's six districts; Belmopan is the third-largest city in the country, behind Belize City and San Ignacio, also located in Cayo.

addo, Inc. Fundraiser Benefits Liberty Children's Home
Premier sales and marketing firm Vaddo, Inc. recently partnered with fitness company Orangetheory for a fundraiser to benefit Liberty Children's Home, an organization that assists underprivileged children in Belize. The fitness-oriented event - in which 33 participants worked out, broke a sweat, and pushed their limits for a cause - raised $10,000 to benefit children living in an orphanage in Belize. While Belize is known for having some of the most beautiful beaches in the world, approximately half of the Central American country's children are living below the poverty line.

Videos

• Did You Know Program: Registering Accommodations for Renumeration, 1.5min. The Belize Tourism Board has launched the second phase of its Did You Know (DYK) campaign, which is aimed at increasing awareness among hoteliers, persons who own a home and rent rooms or businesses providing accommodation for remuneration purposes of the need to register with the Registrar of Hotels at the BTB.

• Belize 2017, 4min.

• Uniform parade (persons who wear uniforms) through Caye Caulker village Friday night in honor of Independence Day., 3min.

• Channel 5 Obituaries - JANICE ELIZABETH BAIZA, 2min.

• Channel 5 Obituaries - GLENFORD ALBERT EMMANUEL, 2min.

• Channel 5 Obituaries - ERICA NORMA MCDONALD WELCH ROWLAND, 2min.

• 3rd Annual Military Parade in Belmopan, 3min. As part of the September Celebrations, the third annual Military Parade was held in Belmopan. It is a sight to take in as the defence forces come together for a display of strength and unity. Cayo Correspondent, Fem Cruz, was at the parade and brought the highlights. min.

• Corozal's Best Ever Rum Ribs and Rice Tasting Contest 2019, 7.5min. On September 13, 2019, Corozal's Best Best Ever Rum, Rice, Ribs and Rice Tasting contest 2019 was held inside the Corozal Civic Center. I had the opportunity to be part of this event. Herber NARVAEZ won the new record with 35 chicken feet.

• The new Corozal sign is soon finished, .5min. It is now painted, and all it is left are the lights to be connected and some finishing touch.

• 2019-07 Belize, 4min.

• CW's Belize Trip Video 2019, 13min. Took me 7 weeks to finally have enough free time to edit and upload my Belize Trip Video: Sharks, Turtles, Spotted Eagle Rays, Moray Eels, Swim-thrus, cave tubing, yacht jumping, and mayan ruins highlight this awesome trip on the Belize Aggressor IV with Aggressor Adventures!

• Belize City Carnival 2019, 15min.

• Cutting the Weeds with a Machete in Belize, 4min.

• A day at Caye Caulker, 13min. Caye Caulker is a small Caribbean island off the coast of Belize. It's divided by a narrow channel called the Split, where there's a bar and a sandy beach. To the south is the island's only settlement, known as Caye Caulker Village. The north of the island is home to dense mangrove forest and diverse birdlife, protected by a forest reserve. The Caye Caulker Marine Reserve has dive sites on the Belize Barrier Reef.

• 3RD Annual Military Parade | Belmopan City, Belize #2, 21min.

• 3RD Annual Military Parade | Belmopan City, Belize., 22min.

• The Ya'axch� Show, 15min. Agroforestry is a climate-smart farming practice that diversifies income, helps protect forests and soils, supports wildlife, and secures food for farming families. Ya'axch� has been promoting agroforestry since 2004 at a small scale level in the Maya Golden Landscape - our area of work in southern Belize. Ten years later, in 2014, we began a mega project to grow cacao in a 936 acre agroforestry concession in Maya Mountain North Forest Reserve, a first for Belize. On The Ya'axch� Show to chat with Sayuri Tzul was Eugenio Ah (Sustainable Agriculture Coordinator) and Gustavo Requena (Community Outreach & Livelihoods Director), and behind the scenes was Maximiliano Caal (Marketing & Communications Manager).

• International Costa Maya Festival Official Swimsuit Photo Shoot, 2min. Behind the Scenes of their Official Swimsuit Photo Shoot with photographer Andre Shamir Guerrero. Video by Ignite Ltd.

• Link Copied to Clipboard
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Cayo Espanto
    Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
    More Links
    Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
    Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 320 guests, and 0 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Forum Statistics
    Forums44
    Topics79,199
    Posts500,011
    Members20,460
    Most Online7,413
    Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
    BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
    BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
    BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
    and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.