Enjoy this Monday Holiday for Independence Day!!!

FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, Reef TV, KREM, and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Belize Now, Talk Ah Di Town, and other specials.

The San Pedro Sun

San Pedro Independence Parade
San Pedro knows how to PARADE! Great fun was had by all when we celebrated the 38th anniversary of Independence yesterday! We still have the weekend to enjoy the holiday! Happy Independence Day! In carnaval colors and festive attire, island residents came out in full force parading through out the streets of San Pedro celebrating the 38th anniversary of our Independence! Viva Belize! Happy Independence Day!

Wolfe’s Woofer: Lazarus
“Moses, are you still going to Belmopan with me tomorrow?” I asked. “I’ve already rented a car.” “I wanted to,” Moses said, “but I have to go to a funeral in the morning in a little village just west of the Belize Zoo. The service is at ten o’clock and the burial is at ten thirty.” “That’s fine,” I said. “We’ll catch the funeral service, then eat lunch and do our business afterwards.”

Doctor Love: Invisible Man
Dear Doctor Love, I’m in a relationship with a girl who never puts her phone down. She never logs off her many social media accounts and she shares everything that happens in her day. She watches her phone during dinner. When we are with her family or our friends it’s always in her lap so she can read any new posts. She posts while driving her golf cart and I’m scared she’ll hit something someday. If we’re watching television or a movie she texts constantly, and I end up having to explain stuff to her that she’s missed.

Various Belizean Sources

mzz

Tropical Shipping Announces New Service into Belize
We are pleased to announce the launch of a new service to Belize City, Belize. Effective Friday September 27th2019 Tropical Shipping will be adding Belize City, Belize as one of its liner ports offering the Highest quality of Ocean Transportation Services, including: The Southbound service will depart the Port of Palm Beach every Friday with a fix day arrival of Tuesday while the Northbound Service will depart Belize City, Belize on Tuesday with a Friday arrival. Our local agent will be: Belize Ship Handlers, 6480 Mahogany Street, Belize City, Belize. Phone/Fax/ Email: Tel: 501-222-4003, Fax: 501-222-4724, Email:[email protected]

Lamanai Chocolate
We have officially had our soft opening. We will also be adding coconut to our chocolate and coffee experience. 43 Hummingbird hwy. Ten miles from.Belmopan. Our two newst products are cocoa powder and cocoa butter. They both are very special in that they are cold pressed from fire roasted beans and we have them at a very reasonable price if anyone buys these products or knows of anyone that uses them we are looking to make them country wide. We will start having food along with specialty frozen chocolate/coffee drinks, frozen fruit smoothies and a limited menu in the weeks to come. We also have a small play area for kids and my 3 yr old always looks forward to entertain visitors.

Independence Day Parade, San Pedro
San Pedro, La Isla Bonita, Ambergris Caye, Belize, celebrates Belize's Independence Day with lively Parade. I hope those of you in Belize got a chance to sample the local Independence Day festivities. If you missed it, you missed something BIG! Belizeans love celebrating their independence. It's a wild party that everyone should experience at least once!

UPDATE ON FIRE IN CAYE CAULKER
A clean up campaign which took only 24 hours after tragedy struck hapened through the efforts of members of the village council. Councillor Lilia Marin, Councilor Alejandro Carrasco and Vice Chair George Delcid along with islanders came together for a clean up campaign and filled out the land.

NEMO ASSISTS FIRE VICTIMS IN CAMALOTE
Although relief for fire victims does not fall under the mandate of the National Emergency Management Organization (NEMO), we are pleased to have been able to extend assistance through NEMO to the family of Pastor Floyd Neal and his wife Christine after their home in Camalote was destroyed by fire yesterday. Today, our NEMO team, led by Humanitarian Officer Alfonso Casey and District Assistant Coordinator Dalton Eiley, delivered relief supplies to the family which is lodging temporarily at a relative’s residence. On hand was UDP Area Representative Ramon Witz, who had sought the assistance on their behalf, accompanied by his Camalote Assistant, Narifa Martinez-Jacobs. Anyone wishing to further assist the family can call Pastor Neal at 625-4237.

NEMO DELIVERS ASSISTANCE TO CAYE CAULKER FIRE VICTIMS
On Independence Day, while the nation was celebrating, our NEMO personnel was busy delivering assistance to fire victims on the Island of Caye Caulker who were affected by an early morning blaze. The supplies were transported to the island with the help of Belize Defender Aircraft arranged by our National Emergency Coordinator Colonel (Ret) Shelton Defour. The relief mission was led by our NEMO Central Region Coordinator Al Westby, who was accompanied by NEMO Belmopan District Assistant Coordinator Dalton Eiley. The BDF Defender Aircraft was flown by Major Adran Claude Ramírez.

Independence Day 2019, photos by Karen Brodie
Apparently the editing fairy showed up this afternoon, so here is set two from yesterday's parade. Hopefully that editing fairy shows up a lot in the next few days ... my posts so far include the first 5 minutes of the actual parade!!! Feel free to tag and share ... I'm counting on you for that ... it's time for a meal break. Thankfully there was NO parade today!!!

Corozal: Bahamas ReliefFundraiser
October 23, 9am-noon.

Channel 5

62 year old Taiwanese Electrician Murdered
Police are investigating the murder of 62 year old Chin Sung, a Taiwanese electrician of Camalote Village. News Five has learned that the victim was asleep inside the lower flat of a two storey building where his business, E-Store Shop, is located when about 1 o’clock this morning 2 masked men broke in through an unsecured window. Sung was awakened by noise inside the shop. Upon making checks he saw the armed burglars who shot at him. Sung was hit in the chest and forehead and died at the scene. The thieves made good their escaped with an undisclosed amount of money.

PC Clifford Castillo died at the K.H.M.H. after being involved in a road traffic accident in Southern Belize
PC Castillo was driving a motorcycle in Seine Bight Village when he lost control as a result of a flat tire and crashed into a post. The officer received severe head and body injuries. He was rushed to the Southern Regional Hospital before being transported to the KHMH.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Missing minor and her relatives claim that she is safe and well
Breaking Belize News is in possession of a series of videos that were taken after a Jasmine Alert was issued for a missing female minor from Cristo Rey, Cayo. Last week, the Jasmine Alert flyer was issued for 16-year-old Serena Sanchez of Cristo Rey, Cayo.

Independence fever: wild holiday weekend of football
The standings are not greatly changed by this weekend’s results, but it was an entertaining weekend for sure. Things started with the last match of the first round on Wednesday, a scoreless stalemate between the top two teams in the Premier League, Belmopan Bandits and Verdes F.C.

Taiwanese businessman murdered in Camalote
Amn elderly Taiwanese businessman was murdered in Camalote, Cayo last night during a robbery of his store. Sources tell Breaking Belize News (BBN) that Ching-Sung Chen, 62, the proprietor of E Star store...

PM Barrow: Economy holding strong despite “shocks”
It has not been for lack of trying, but according to Prime Minister Dean Barrow, Belize’s economic fortunes continue to hold strong in the face of many obstacles, and he announced plans for new and diverse expansions.

Man murdered in Camalote, Cayo
Reports to BBN’s newsdesk are that an elderly man was murdered this morning inside his business place in Camalote, Cayo. Authorities are currently at the scene.

PM on citizen security: “GOB is in action”
Prime Minister Dean Barrow announced during his Independence Day address that the issue of crime and violence is being fought on two fronts – local and multinational – with a host of partners.

Blogs

Keeping Belize Green With Our Newest Initiative
The name Ka'ana means "heavenly place" but we aren't just talking about our resort grounds. The entirety of our small country is full of stunning treasures, from the lush green jungles to the vibrant blue oceans. We're known for our green initiatives, but you know we're always looking for new ways to have a positive impact on the environment, and starting this month we have one more to add to the list! As part of our mission to keep the country beautiful for generations to come, this new project focuses on making it easier for our local community to get rid of trash. We've created and distributed 40 durable bins, painted with environmental slogans, around our nearby towns of San Ignacio and Santa Elena. It's now much easier to keep everywhere from the local school to the riverbank to the markets sparkling clean!

A Birthday Toast For Belize
We can’t think of a better birthday toast for Belize than to quote that popular toastmaster, Abraham Lincoln: “It’s not the years in your life that count – it’s the life in your years.” Even Honest Abe would be impressed with how much life the newest nation in the Americas has packed into the last 38 years. He’d no doubt join us in saluting the many things Belize has achieved in such a short amount of time and, perhaps more to the point, the way it has done so.

Five Places to Live in Belize; Two to Avoid
The English-speaking country of Belize has a lot going for it. For a tiny country, it packs a big wallop when it comes to charm and scenery. For the would-be expat—especially if you’re looking for real value—there are many areas deserving of your attention. Places where you can live the laidback, Caribbean lifestyle of your dreams. From the many cayes to the Cayo district, you’ll be spoiled for choice when it comes to finding somewhere to live in Belize. In Belize you’ll find the best, and cheapest Caribbean, beach living around. If lazy rivers and rolling hills are more your scene, don’t fret…you’ll find these as well. The cost of living can vary, depending on which area you decide on. Choosing where to start over in a foreign land can be difficult, but these few areas are a good place to start if you’re looking for a new life in Belize.

Another colorful year – Celebrating Belize’s 38th Independence
By the time the Independence parade started, I was all celebrated out. Being a town girl, I caught the whole party night before and it was a long one this year. I was still hearing it at 5:00 am. As noisy as it was, I did enjoy laying in bed listening to DJ Debbie and Trinidad and Tobago singer Olantiunji and Dee Jav, Chetumal Mexico. Of course, I woke up and popped outside for my pics of my favorite part of the evening party the ringing in of Independence day with midnight fireworks. No matter how big or small the parade is, it’s always exciting to see everyone’s designs. So much work goes into costumes and carts. I love watching them walk/drive the “runway” through town, it is always a hot, sweaty fun, tasty, experience.

2019 San Pedro’s Jump Up Parade: Small but Mighty Independence Celebration
San Pedro, Belize had a HUGE Independence Day weekend planning for 2019. A Friday night concert Soca concert, 21 gun salute and traditional ceremony and a massive midnight fireworks display. That was all Independence Eve. I kept my powder dry for the Jump Up Parade on Independence Day. There was a new route so that the parade started and ended in the newly refurbished Boca Del Rio park. The massive new re-claimed beach made a perfect spot for an after party. In the end, ABC Preschool assembled a FANTASTIC group all in white and glitter with the theme: 38. And then a serious group of pros from Belize City…a serious carnival crew joined our San Pedro town council.

Videos

• Here are snippets of the visits to the Carnival Mas Camps on day 3, 36min. The judges visited Senior Bands - Black Pearl, Soca Moca Carnival Band, Mother Nature's Creation. Take a look at the costumes, the revellers and the hype. Share the spirit of Carnival, Share the video!

• San Pedro Independence Fireworks Display, 2.5min.

• Independence Day in Belize fire works, 5min.

• Belize Independence Day Parade 2019, 4min.

• Belize 2019, min. Belize vacation 2019, snorkelling with Sharks, Turtles, and Sting Rays.

• El Fogon, San Pedro Ambergris Caye, min. El Fogon means "The Fire Hearth". We specialize in Belizean food cooked the old fashioned way, with firewood in the open. It is our intention to preserve our Belizean culture through food, and give a little taste to our visitors far and wide.