Article in the NY Times...

Two years ago, Chris Maynard was the harried owner of a restaurant in Toronto, up to his eyeballs in work and exasperated by relentless city regulations. When a code enforcement officer told him to remove a sandwich-board menu from the sidewalk, he was ready to call it quits.

Just then, he received a postcard from his girlfriend, Brandie Delouche, who was visiting Belize, the sun-dappled former British colony in Central America, with a friend.

“She asked me if I could see myself living there,” recalled Mr. Maynard, a 49-year-old former member of Canada’s national soccer team. “I looked at the TV and there was six feet of snow in New Brunswick. So I put the restaurant up for sale, sold the house in four days and packed everything into our Jeep. I’d never been to Belize, but I trusted her.”

In the dusty, ramshackle town of San Pedro, filled with zipping golf carts and barhopping tourists, a $50 million resort named Alaia, branded by Marriott’s Autograph Collection Hotels, is rising six stories above the beach. Further north, on Ambergris Caye, an iteration of Jimmy Buffett’s Margaritaville chain is emerging from the abandoned shell of a bankrupt resort. And on Isabella Caye, a Canadian developer is building what he calls a “resort village,” with 100 cabanas, a 24-room hotel, five restaurants and a nightclub.

Click here for the rest of the story in the NY Times