FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, Reef TV, KREM, and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Belize Now, Talk Ah Di Town, and other specials.

The San Pedro Sun

Wolfe’s Woofer: Adult Conversation
"My favorite thing about Ambergris Caye is the fishing,” Don said. “The fishing’s great,” I said, “but Belize has a lot to offer besides fishing. Have you and the family ever spent any time on the mainland?” My friend Don is in town this week with his wife Hannah and their twelve-year-old son, Richie. They were treating me to dinner at their hotel’s restaurant. Don said, “Not yet but this is only our fourth Belize vacation. I think maybe next year. . . .”

Doctor Love: Worried Wife
Dear Doctor Love, My husband has had a few health issues in his golden years but until we moved to Belize he was careful to keep them under control with healthy eating, medications and regular light exercise. Since coming to San Pedro he has fallen into an unhealthy lifestyle—eating fatty foods, drinking more alcohol than he should and often forgetting or neglecting to take his medication. He quit exercising so he has gained weight, which his doctor back home warned against.

Various Belizean Sources

mzz

Cook needed on Caye Caulker
Busy season is just around the corner! Looking for a talented, experienced cook to run our kitchen. Experience is a must! Someone with a “can-do” attitude. Responsible and reliable. Must respond with desired salary and professional references.

Sarteneja Corozal Water Taxi Express returns
Sarteneja Corozal Water Taxi Express is here by announcing to the public of Sarteneja and Corozal that we will start providing water taxi services again from Sarteneja to Corozal and from Corozal to Sarteneja. Departure from Sarteneja to Corozal 7:00 am - arrives Corozal 7:30 am . Departure from Corozal to Sarteneja @ 4:00 pm - arrives at 4:30 pm. Adults $15.00 one way. and $25.00 round trip. Minors $10.00 one way and $15.00 round trip. Students $10.00 one way and $15.00 round trip. We will only be providing services on Mondays and Fridays starting. Friday November 8, 2019. for further information kindly contact Mr. Abisai Canul @ 669-8267.

ALL ARCHAEOLOGICAL RESERVES CAVES ARE PRESENTLY CLOSED AS A FLASH FLOOD PRECAUTION. HEAVY RAIN CONTINUES
ANOTHER UPDATE WILL BE PROVIDED AT 8AM, MONDAY 4 NOVEMBER 2019.

That 'ichpam ko' olel: The Corn, the 'Holy Grace' of the Mayans
The Word 'Cornfield' appears in the dictionary of the royal Spanish Academy, but its roots are not in Europe, but in America, or to be more accurate: in Mesoamerica. It comes from the nahuatl milli that means inheritance, cultivation field and so, with that meaning, but island as 'Cornfield', is used in Mexico. In Guatemala is also used but there is not a growing space, it means more corn. In Mexico is a word that designates a special form of agriculture where it lives a diversity of plants that have downtown the ' Holy Corn ', to the ' Holy Grace '. This is what the Mayan milperos call him when they speak in Spanish. When they speak Maya, names bring an affective burden and can call it nal when they refer to both the whole plant and the cob or the corn. A word that is not identical but yes very close to the word na ', with which it is said mom; or to the word naj with which it is said home, home.

Yucatec Maya dancers from the dance group U il Ixi'im dancing the U Óok'ostaj Pool in the village of San Narciso (Corozal)
This was not a cultural presentation but actually the real Óok'staj Pool(Hoghead dance) which was done with a spiritual meaning .

Happy Halloween 2019 from Holiday Hotel
Photos by Karen Brodie Photography

Channel 5

John Salvidar Rally at the Belize Civic Center
Minister of National Security officially launches his campaign for the post of leader of the United Democratic Party at the Belize City Civic Center.

The Reporter

UDP’s John Saldivar Takes Over The Civic With Huge Turnout
By the media’s unofficial count, close to 3,500 persons from across the country showed up the Belize Civic Center on Sunday, November 3rd as Belmopan Area Representative John Saldivar officially launched his campaign to be elected leader of the UDP, when that Party’s national convention is held in February 2020.

ELECTRIC VEHICLES: AN OWNER SPEAKS!
By: Major Lloyd Jones (Ret’d) - My recent column – “Electric Vehicles: Plug In and Shut Up” – gave rise to some interesting debates. Many people felt that there are more important things that we should be focusing on instead of EVs. Others felt that whereas EVs are certainly coming, Belize is not yet ready. Yet still others thought that we should plunge ahead in the name of the planet.

One of Two Suspects Charged For Darren Gentle’s Murder
Orange Walk police have managed to formally arrest and charge one of two suspects believed to be responsible for last week’s murder of Darren Gentle. On Monday, police charged Micheal McDougall 28 with murder. McDougall was arraigned later that day in the Orange Walk Magistrate Court and remanded into custody at the Belize Central Prison until his next court appearance.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

John Saldivar makes pitch to be next leader of U.D.P.
Claiming the support of a majority of standard bearers and others, Belmopan area representative John […]

San Pedro Pirates, Altitude FC and Wagiya battle for final 2 playoff spots – race down to the final week
After this weekend, only the top two in the Premier League of Belize are assured of […]

Gunshot victim passes away
On Thursday night, Belize City resident Adam Joseph was shot. Unfortunately, he passed away yesterday evening while receiving treatment. […]

Blogs

A Gorgeous Week in Belize Except for that Pesky Malware Issue
It’s been a gorgeous week on Ambergris Caye. The weather has been hot and humid – with a heavy dose a mosquitos if you step a bit too far away from the breeze. (Also, the farther away from town, the better chance you have of encountering the blood sucking beasts from hell. Yesterday we were up at Robles Point with Panny – and we had a FANTASTIC time – but as the afternoon rolled on, the mosquito count increased exponentially.) And someone or something got into my website, sent out some FALSE emails (it was not me who was trying to sell you CBD oils or medical marijuana) and posted some very poorly written posts to my blog. So much effort putting into breaking into websites, invest some time in some grammar and creative writing classes!

The Creole People of Belize
The Creole people in Belize are those with some amount of African blood. They are the descendants of African slaves who were brought to Belize in the 1700s and 1800s. Some also are descended from those who immigrated from Africa. The Creole people once encompassed about 60 percent of the Belize population. However, many of them moved to North America and, at the same time, a number of Central Americans moved into Belize. The Creole people now number just under 25 percent of the Belize population. Most of the Creole people live in Belize City. Others live in the villages alongside the Sibun River and Belize River. Some common locations for the Creole people include Monkey River, Lemonal, Gracie Rock, Placencia, Bermudian Landing, and Maskall.

Soursop in Belize
Ever visited any of the markets in Belize and come across a dark green prickly fruit? Chances are you have seen this fruit which goes by the name of Soursop. It is native to tropical and subtropical regions throughout the world and got its name due to the slightly acidic taste when ripe. Their flesh is whitish, juicy, and aromatic but big black seeds fill the inside of its membranes, which can make it hard to eat. Fruit lovers have found creative ways to make it richly edible, while researchers have found medicinal uses for it.

Tested to My Limits on an Adventure Vacation in Belize
Middle age was pounding on the front door of my life, yet the intensity of parenting young children was easing up a bit. It was the perfect time for my friend Sarah and I to take a trip, but it had to be somewhere we’d never been, doing something we’d never forget. With some research, the perfect opportunity appeared: an adventure vacation in Belize! The website said a good attitude and average fitness were the only things needed to enjoy eight days of exploring, hiking and kayaking, including a few days on a private island. A moment was all I needed to consider my decision. My glass-half-full personality and size 14 jeans convinced me I was the perfect person for this experience. Without hesitation, I clicked ‘submit’ and committed to my first (and last) adventure travel vacation.

25 Things that create the Belize experience
While you might find a few of these things elsewhere in the world.....most of these are part of what makes the Belize experience so memorable and unique! 1.) There’s a napkin wrapped on every beer ...and you order a beer by saying, "I'll have a beer" (beer=regular Belikin). 2.) Fry jacks - sometimes as big as a football and stuffed with tons of stuff. 3.) Belikin Beer. 4.) Puddle jumpers. 5.) Johnny cakes. 6.) English signs...yet you landed in Central America.

Snorkeling the Hol Chan Marine Reserve in Belize
We didn’t really have any expectations or even a real idea of what we would see, all we knew was that we were not going to miss out on snorkeling the second largest barrier reef in the world … AGAIN! Last year, we only stayed in Caye Caulker for two nights, underestimating how great snorkeling the barrier reef is, we opted to skip it and do the ATM cave on the mainland instead. Insider Tip: If you are debating about which one to do, do both, they are equally impressive and totally worth the money. However, after hearing so many backpackers rave about the Hol Chan Marine Reserve, we regretted not going snorkeling. So when we somehow found ourselves back in Caye Caulker last week, we knew what we had to do!

International Sourcesizz

EU to remove Belize from tax haven blacklist this week
European Union finance ministers are set to remove the Central American country of Belize from the bloc’s blacklist of tax havens in a meeting this week, an EU document said. The decision is to be formally adopted on Friday, the document said. Eight jurisdictions are expected to remain on the list. They are: Fiji, Oman, Samoa, Trinidad and Tobago, Vanuatu and the three U.S. territories of American Samoa, Guam, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Seagrass—secret weapon in the fight against global heating
One of the most threatened yet overlooked ecosystems on Earth, seagrass could have a promising future thanks to its ability to absorb carbon. Seagrass is a flowering marine plant whose blades form dense meadows in shallow, sheltered areas along coastlines. It has a range of benefits: seagrass acts as a nursery and food source for a wide variety of marine life, provides a home for many fish and charismatic animals such as turtles and dugongs, protects coastlines by absorbing wave energy, produces oxygen and cleans the ocean by soaking up polluting nutrients produced on land by humans. In addition, seagrass accounts for 10 per cent of the ocean’s capacity to store carbon—so-called “blue carbon”—despite occupying only 0.2 per cent of the sea floor, and it can capture carbon from the atmosphere up to 35 times faster than tropical rainforests.

Seven amazing Belizean adventures
ome nations are blessed with natural wonders, historic riches and vibrant local culture. Belize is barely the size of Wales but its geographical position, rugged mountain scenery, awe-inspiring beaches and marine life, wildlife-rich rainforest and Maya sites make it a veritable playground for adventure-seeking travellers who want to pack adrenalin-spiking activities and immersive cultural experiences into their break. Bordered to the north by Mexico, to the south-west by Guatemala, and to the east by the Caribbean Sea, Belize is gaining a reputation as one of the world’s best adventure travel destinations, particularly with travellers seeking more bang-for-buck from a long-haul trip. Belize’s beaches and luxury lodges are spectacular, but this small nation richly rewards intrepid travellers who want to get off-the-beaten-track and immerse themselves in meaningful pursuits beyond the beaches.

Consumption of benthic cyanobacterial mats on a Caribbean coral reef
The McCoy lab at Florida State University discovered that certain angelfish, parrotfish and surgeonfish species play an important role in regulating mats of cyanobacteria on Caribbean coral reefs.

Videos

• This morning, flying Tropic Air Belize, from San Pedro to International, 8min.

• Hon. John Saldivar's Campaign Launch | Live at The Belize Civic Center, 5.5hr.

• , 1min. If you’re the big city sort, you may think that friends who consider a journey perfection only if they can roam a solitary beach without seeing another person for days on end are clueless! You love people. You love excitement. You might be in the mood for a moonlight stroll with your love, but bring on the colors, the lights and the tropical vibe–an apt description for Ambergris Caye, the largest, liveliest Belize island of all. Perched on the edge of the Caribbean Sea, Ambergris has become such a popular destination, it’s to get its own international airport down the road. Come see why travelers can’t stay away.

• Black Howler Monkeys Belize, 1.5min. Black Howler Monkeys in the Community Baboon Sanctuary in Belize

• Belize Honeymoon 2019, 21min. 2 Weeks in Belize - Chaa Creek, Thatch Caye, Ramon's, Hol Chan, San Pedro.

• Belize 2019, 14min. Zipline & Tub through Belize.

• Belize Wildlife & Referral Clinic - BWRC: Introduction, vision, mission and activities, 5.5min. This video from 2015 introduces the Wildlife Clinic and it's work in supporting wildlife conservation, animal health and welfare through veterinary care, rescue and rehabilitation as well as education and training. What BWRC does? Provide medical care and rehabilitation for imperiled wildlife of all species, with one of the primary goals being the release back into the wild when possible. BWRC's vision is wildlife conservation and sustainable development in cooperation and one of the most important activities relate to education about the root causes of imperiled wildlife: human wildlife conflict and traffic. Further videos introduce these issues.

• CHUKKA Belize Staff Recognition 2019, 40min.

• YABRA, ISIAH MORTER & IBO TOWN! TRIBUTE & MEMORIAL!, 2min. The small tribute and memorial is dedicated to the legendary Belizean Garveyite, Isiah Morter and "Ibo Town" that is now called "Yabra". The historic site and place of three important colonial features of Belize City, Belize, that is the history of slavery in Belize, the burial ground or cemetery for many of British Honduras's British colonial peoples and others, as well as the famous Yabra (Yarborough) area of Belize City that housed the popular Belize Yabra Football Field.