Next Thread
Print Thread
Belize Out of Anti-Retroviral Meds;New Stock “Within a Few Weeks" #538881
10/24/19 05:47 AM
10/24/19 05:47 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Offline OP

Marty  Offline OP

A lack of anti-retroviral medication is putting lives at risk. If a person with HIV/AIDS does not take the meds as prescribed, it can cause HIV to become resistant to the drugs and the patient will not have treatment options. This week, we have been following reports that there is an acute shortage at the public health facilities because the supplier, an Indian company, has not been able to deliver on orders for the medication. News Five’s Hipolito Novelo looks into the shortage and its effects.

Hipolito Novelo, Reporting

The June 2019, the 2017 HIV Statistical Report was published and figures show that of the thirty-seven thousand HIV tests conducted that year there were two-hundred and twenty-three new cases of HIV in Belize.  At December 2017, a total of one thousand three hundred and eighty five persons living with HIV were on antiretroviral treatment, taking generic medication such as Lopinavir/Ritonavir to suppress the viral load and prevent transmission. Twenty-six-year-old Javier Paz was diagnosed with HIV in August and has joined the antiretroviral treatment programme.

Javier Paz, Living with HIV

“I am literally very new to the whole treatment and everything. I haven’t really learned much about it but I know enough to know that this is the easier step for me to take.”

But that step has gotten difficult and life threatening because the country has run out of the much needed medication.

Javier Paz

The issues that I am having is that I cannot restock on it right now. Apparently there is none in any of the free facilities within the country. What I have left is only eleven of them excluding the one that I will take tonight.”

Hipolito Novelo

“So eleven pill, eleven days; what happens after the eleventh day?”

Javier Paz

“Well, I’ve been trying to reach out to organizations that I heard off to see if they can help me in getting access to medication but I mean, it was just today that I found out that. So I haven’t heard back from them. I tried reaching out to friends in the states who work in pharmaceutical companies that deal with these types of diseases that bring down your immune system but they don’t carry this specific type of medication either. At this point I cannot say what will happen.

In May of this year, the Government of Belize made payments to the tune of two hundred and forty one thousand dollars to an Indian pharmaceutical supplier for a total of four thousand three hundred bottles as part of its annual and usual procurement process. The company has failed to deliver the stock, putting the lives of many at risk. Director of Health Services, Doctor Marvin Manzanero says that the Indian company is experiencing multiple issues with production and distribution.

Dr. Marvin Manzanero, Director of Health Services, M.O.H.

“We started procuring generic medications from 2006 directly from Indian companies, making us one of the countries procuring at one of the lower prices of the entire region.  What has happened now is that companies in India with which we used to do business some of them have started downscaling their production of anti-retrovirals and some of them have shifted to other medications that are more lucrative as a business. So we did our procurement to find out one particular anti-retroviral from April of this year we did payment in May. We were suppose to have gotten that product in June but because there is a downscaling in production, there is bigger markets that are actually buying more. I mean South Africa for example buys maybe a million bottles when our procurement s three thousand six hundred. So you are not going to be first in the list even though you have paid for it.”

But even so, just last week the Government paid a further two hundred and sixty thousand dollars for other key anti-retrovirals that should be delivered within a few weeks.

Dr. Marvin Manzanero

“We’re understanding that the companies were having difficulty in accessing raw materials. You noticed that earlier in the year there was a notion that some of the anti-hypertensive medication had cancer agents that were tainting the raw materials. So they were trying to safeguard that. Mine you that is not an excuse.”

In June, the Ministry of Health realized that the anti-retroviral would not be delivered according to schedule and looked to its neighbours for assistance.

Dr. Marvin Manzanero

“Reaching out to countries who could loan us or donate to us. We managed to get a loan from Costa Rica. That loan is still owed. But the countries in the region are also facing the same situation. So I think it is one medication that I know that we are at zero stock which is Lopinavir/Ritonavir and that is the generic name.   I am aware that one other medication that is triple combination where people would take one single pill. I think we have stock out of that. My understanding, however, is that you are not going to be able to get that one single pill but the other ingredients are available as separate tablets so patients are perhaps going to be getting two-three tablets instead of taking the one pill. I am not sure as to status as is in terms of when that particular product will arrive. In terms of the ones we have stocked out the company has told us that it is going to be here in the next two-three weeks.”

But persons like Paz do not have three weeks. Adverse effects can be experienced by persons living with HIV if they go long enough without taking their medication. They begin developing resistance to the meds.

Diego Grajalez, Director, CNET+

“Your body could develop some sort of resistance to the medication which means when you start again eventually you will notice that it is not working with you. There would no way to prove that because within the country we don’t have resistant testing for HIV.  In this country we have first and second line medication. Once you surpass that medication there is nothing else you which is why a lot of people are concern about this issue. One day is already too much without this medication.”

The stock of anti-retrovirals puts Belize’s commitment to the UN 90-90-90 goal which in part seeks to have ninety percent of people living with HIV with an undetectable viral load.

Enrique Romero, Executive Director, N.A.C.

“We at the National Aids Commission are very concerned. We find the situation unacceptable as well because we are dealing with people’s lives.  As a country we have subscribed to the United Nations Gen programme to HIV/AIDs to the ninety-ninety-ninety goals which looks at testing ninety percent of persons living with HIV and Aids and having them know their status, getting ninety percent of those on link to care and anti retrovirals. The third goal is having ninety percent of those on anti-retroviral having a viral load suppression.”

Diego Grajalez

“We are striving to reach for people living with HIV as a national response to have an undetectable viral load which means that a person living with HIV, not that the virus isn’t there but is so minute in your system, controlled by the medication that you cannot even transmit HIV. It’s controlled. It put also that at risk. If a person is undetectable and it out of medication allows the virus to replicate because the idea of the medication is to suppress the virus in order for the virus not to reproduce within the body.”

Enrique Romero

“So if we cannot effectively address pillars two and three adherence if we are constantly having stock out of medication.”

If the Indian companies was to halt production of anti-retrovirals to which company or country would the government turn to then? That is what the Ministry of Health is contemplating at the moment. Reporting for News Five, I am Hipolito Novelo.

Channel 5

Re: Belize Out of Anti-Retroviral Meds;New Stock “Within a Few Weeks" [Re: Marty] #539092
11/07/19 05:56 AM
11/07/19 05:56 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Offline OP

Marty  Offline OP

Belize Borrowing Anti Retrovirals from Trinidad

Manzanero also gave us an update on the supply of HIV anti-retrovirals in country. As we've reported, there's a national shortage of the life - saving medication - which is a crisis for persons living with HIV.

Today, he told us they have managed to borrow some stock from Trinidad:

Dr. Marvin Manzanero
"We have a loan that is coming from Trinidad and Tobago. I don't know when the arrival date of that is going to be."

Reporter
"The loan of the medication?"

Dr. Marvin Manzanero
"Of the medication until the medication that we have procured arrives in the first week of December."

Reporter
"What is your understanding in terms of the population who is affected with HIV and how they are managing with this shortage?"

Dr. Marvin Manzanero
"Well I know that one medication I think we had stocked out. We did stocked out of a triple combination, but we still had the 3 medications in separate pills, so you would not be getting a pill and I think that was one of the story that was on the news when we look at what the patient was not going to get that one pill, but they could have gotten the 3 medications separately, so you have to take 3 pills instead of one. Inconvenient, but it's an opportunity and what the rules will tell you is that if you have only 2 of the 3 medications, then you at least taking that until the other medication comes along."

Reporter
"This issue in particular has raised a lot of criticism, people are saying this is a human rights issue in terms of having the medication available. What would the ministry respond to people who are saying these things?"

Dr. Marvin Manzanero
"I think it's a difficult situation and I don't want to make comparisons. I come from the HIV field where we lobbied and got to where we were. It's a collective effort. That's not an excuse, but it's how do you try to make sure that it doesn't happen again. How do you defend smaller economies such as ours when you're having issues across the country?"

Manzanero says the antiretrovirals wear only out of stock in Belize City.

The full supply in December will come from India.

Channel 7

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
San Pedro Fun Finder
Paradise Guy Event Calendar
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
November
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 381 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics70,056
Posts477,720
Members19,542
Most Online2,982
Jan 29th, 2019

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.